318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

The new pics look fantastic.

Games gona have hawt graphics fo sure.

First one and last one are CGI... first one is released in 2008 summer as a target render.

Games gona have hawt graphics fo sure.
I don’t know what you are trying to prove with this.

As everybody else have said the first and the last picture is renders and the middle one is ingame.

However the middle one may look great in that small size but if you see it in full size it's nothing special.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3388/3508841324_71700f786b_o.jpg

The grass is horrible, the textures is also horrible but the "grain noise" is helping it look better on the vehicles in that screen, the 30km view distance is still nowhere to be found in any of the new screenshots, the lighting is not realistic.

If you don't care why make such an issue with the holier than thou attitude? Honestly, I couldn't think of anything more pedantic. Complete non-issue. Yet, you go on about how you are doing it the correct way when none of it actually matters, as OFP has been used by the community for years. You are neither right or wrong. People who use OFP are neither right or wrong. Nothing else to discuss.

I didn't. I said to stop being so picky since OFP has been in use for years. It doesn't matter.

Now you know.

You haven't, which is clearly shown if you checked the link in my last post (I also quoted the part).

Which doesn't matter in this case, for reasons mentioned earlier.

If they are studying English I am sure they will survive. I am sure they will get past the obstacle of the community standard abbreviation.

Doesn't seem so.

Which leads me to believe you are just being pedantic for the sake of it. Hey, it's been a slow few days for me too.

In future if you could see your way through to not taking your boredom out on me, I would appreciate it.

I am quite happy for you to think of me as a liar and troll.

I hope that it will be enough for you to no longer wish to take an intrest in anything I say.

I don't for one minute think this is a subject you particularly care about or one that you think has any place in this thread. You call me pedantic, but you raised the subject, not me.

It certainly is not important enough to me to call anyone a liar or imply that they might feel strongly enough about it to wish to. Let alone that they should in anyway change their behaviour over it.

There is such a thing as correct and incorrect use of English. And while I may not always use it, I personally like to. I'm not trying to tell you that you should, simply that I try to. Should the issue be raised with me, it is a subject I am very intrested in and willing to discuss. In fact I look upon forums such as these as way of practising and improving my language skills.

You aren't intrested in it, you just want to be rude to me for having a "holier than thou attitude".

In fact you stalk me through thread after thread with this very purpose.

Please don't.

That first photo looks like it must be one of their destructable buildings.

Looks pretty good, all the AI are in cover.

Wonder if it's in game footage. I hope so.

Edited by Baff1

The grass is horrible, the textures is also horrible but the "grain noise" is helping it look better on the vehicles in that screen, the 30km view distance is still nowhere to be found in any of the new screenshots, the lighting is not realistic.

Quoted for truth. The foliage in OFPDR is not very impressive at all. The view distance looks more like 1-2km. :(

It's already been stated multiple times above that it's an old target render, not in-game. Those aren't even "AI behind cover", just static models.

Edited by MadDogX

To offer a final sence in which both sides can agree into it without loosing theyr face, i propose this one. Both sides may agree and finish it or finish it without agreeing but with the knowledge there's nothing more to add.

OpF is an abbreviation and in english grammar terms correct. So let's nail this: OpF is correct abbreviation for Operation Flashpoint.

However, OFP is also correct as it isn't a abbreviation but an acronym. So there other rules are considered, first of all it's YABA-compatibility. OF would have been first choice but there it could too easily messed up with the word "of" so the P has been added to prevent confusion.

When speaking about Operation Flashpoint, usually acronym is used. This behaviour has been followed since Operation Flashpoint was released. So most people do refer to the game as OFP rather than OpF.

So, basically both sides are right, right now they lacked about to clearify if they speak about abbreviation or rather acronym. Can't exclude myself, also stepped into this trap.

So for heavens sake, drink a beer, settle down and be happy that you were right, whatever your meaning was.

Quoted for truth. The foliage in OFPDR is not very impressive at all. The view distance looks more like 1-2km. :(

I believe it was mentioned earlier in this thread that CM confirmed there would be no 30km view distance.

Edited by -snafu-

No, there is no AI in that picture. It is not in game footage. It's just a CGI rendered picture.

I am not a native speaker, so correct me if I'm wrong but I understand that flash point (two words) is a technical term which describes the temperature at which a substance catches fire whereas flashpoint (one word) is an area of tension. Thus the full title of the game Operation Flashpoint (two words, not three).

There is no such distinction. The term can be literal or used as a metaphor as in the second example. There is no alternate spelling indicating an alternate definition.

I don’t know what you are trying to prove with this.

As everybody else have said the first and the last picture is renders and the middle one is ingame.

However the middle one may look great in that small size but if you see it in full size it's nothing special.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3388/3508841324_71700f786b_o.jpg

I don't think console games can display 30 km view distance. Maybe the PC version will be able to do it, but I think OFP Dragon Rising is first designed with console in mind.

Frankly, I too don't like the "mood", the graphic identity much : grain noise, yellow+black or gray+black ambiant. I wish they would put a more realistic lighting and less effects.

The 30km view distance is a complete BS.

If the island is 258km^2 it would have to be just 8.6km wide on one side in order to even utilize such view distance.

I actually used to call it OPF too, before I entered this community and realized I had sinned.

op=operation f=flashpoint was the logic I guess. I'm used to OP. being a acronym for operations.

Has the September delay for DR been confirmed?

Even still, the middle picture looks just as good as the CGI pics. Hope the graphics dont get oo good in OFP: DR, i want my 8800GT 512mb to run on high settings QQ.

Its quite interesting sitting and watching the fireworks unfold.

Quote from the DR boards:

"It looked like they were lagging on that PC with those specs. If thats true, then ArmA2 will be teh fail.

The scenary is very bland, its the same all over. OFP: DR has all kinds of shiz."

This is a word for word quote, and it sums up most of their community and bias I guess.

Can't take a quote seriously when it's written like something from a 4chan kiddie :j:

When people say things like "teh fail" I usually write them of as an idiot.

I've browsed their forums. The community isn't too bad, but just like this one there are the childish ones.

Well it will be very interesting to see how this all goes when the two games are out. ArmA 2 isn't far off so we're getting there.

I don't think OFP2 is even trying to go in the same direction as ArmA 2. The gameplay will be a different style. I think even after release they will both have a decent fan base.

I wonder what in heaven's name Skira will have that comes under the category of 'shiz'.

Even still, the middle picture looks just as good as the CGI pics. Hope the graphics dont get oo good in OFP: DR, i want my 8800GT 512mb to run on high settings QQ.

Send me some of what you're on.

Its quite interesting sitting and watching the fireworks unfold.

Quote from the DR boards:

"It looked like they were lagging on that PC with those specs. If thats true, then ArmA2 will be teh fail.

The scenary is very bland, its the same all over. OFP: DR has all kinds of shiz."

This is a word for word quote, and it sums up most of their community and bias I guess.

What and the members here arent biased, just look back over this thread. :rolleyes:

A large amount of OFP: DR fans (including myslef) intend to get both games, just because some says "ARMA2 teh suck" doesnt mean everyone shares the opinion.

Hey, someone in the UK on X-Box Live told me that he's been playing the OFP2 demo? Has it been released?

I can't seem to find any news about it.

I'm wondering if he's been playing an ArmA 1 demo, which is called the OFP2 demo on some sites.

Hey, someone in the UK on X-Box Live told me that he's been playing the OFP2 demo? Has it been released?

I can't seem to find any news about it.

I'm wondering if he's been playing an ArmA 1 demo, which is called the OFP2 demo on some sites.

Yeah umm... he is mistaken..

Probably confused it with COD 4, easy mistake.

Class! :D