FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

I have to admit; I'm very excited about the release. Though, I noticed a line in the campaign's background that made me pause. It went something like:

"It was decided to send Marines to limit civilian casualties..."

If limiting civilian casualties was my goal, I certainly would not send Marines to do it. I'm just sayin'.

The game looks pretty good fun from what limited material I've seen so far.

Won't know for sure until I play it.

The storyline looks utterly pathetic. Utterly. Written by an intellectual minnow.

The game looks pretty good fun from what limited material I've seen so far.

Won't know for sure until I play it.

The storyline looks utterly pathetic. Utterly. Written by an intellectual minnow.

by that do you mean OFP:DR or ARMA2? Because the storyline of OFP:DR seems quite idiotic

If you mean DR's storyline is stupid, then I concur.

The Russians asking the Americans for help?

To be fair, a lot of the original OFP's storyline was unbelievable but it was still great!

The scenario in OpF was typically pants (in terms of realism). As you would expect in a video game, but the campaign was great. The expansion campaigns too.

Russians vs Americans, the Cold War, was a theme with much more appeal to Europeans like me than Americans vs Chinese, which for me is total disconnect.

ArmA had an even more pants scenario (better realism, but boring concept, they should have done mercenaries) and the campaign story could have been much improved by it's deletion.

ArmA 2 looks to have a serious and adult scenario. Hopefully the campaigns and missions will match up.

The concept has ignited my imagination. I can see myself trying to convince the other players in the room that the missions I build are "how it would actually be in Georgia..Chechenya..Ukraine etc etc etc. Lmao! Sad but true.

OpF2's scenario is just crappy. Maybe the campaigns and missions will turn out to be fun, but the premise? UG.

I'm not intrested in the theatre, (just as I wasn't intrested in ArmA's, although as a mercenary I could have been).

I can't see any way for the scenario to actually occour, (just as I couldn't in OpF).

It doesn't relate to me, (I don't imagine my own nations armies being involved anywhere)

It's not believeable. I can't see any of the three nations involved ever fighting a conventional war with eachother let alone over a 10 mile island.

It's not a fight I haven't seen before. Americans, again, vs Chinese (at least they are still fresh) same as BF2. Russian vs Chinese would have been better for me. (but er we all know that the Americans are necessary in every game, and movie even historicals! Nice to be so rich I say.)

This is a pacific fantasy battle, and unfortunately I'm not from round there. Americans, Aussies, Chinese, Koreans, Canadians, but I'm European. I can't relate. I don't care who wins!

So it's just a weak plot device. An excuse to put a U.S. army in the ring with a Chinese Army. Formula stuff for a video game. With Specnaz thrown in for? I don't know. Because someone made the models I suppose.

Edited by Baff1

I think the screen actually looked nice. You have to give them credit for the following ;

- The terrain seems quite bumpy, even more so than in Arma 2, which is nice to get cover.

- Very nice Smoke and particles (seemingly better than Arma 2)

- The distant "non-grass" textures isn't blurry and actually looks nice.

- We also know they have very nice character models (esp. heads) though it's not obvious here...

Still the HDR seems overkill and the grass isn't rendering very far. Overall it feels like Arma 1 level of detail and super high Post-processing option on.

Not exceptionnal, but clearly not as bad as some may want to make believe. I think they're doing a decent job and it will fun to play on XBOX360.

I agree about the bumpy terrain. I seriously hope the terrain is more varied in any expansions for ARMA2. What ARMA2 does better, though, is having more cover in terms of grass, bushes and trees. DR looks to have quite a low density of objects, noticeable in the screenshots of forests.

Still, I always thought a smaller terrain cell size was necessary to capture that important aspect of infantry warfare. Hiding behind a small ridge or in a ditch is, as we know, impossible in ArmA. Hmmm.

http://www.worthplaying.com/article.php?sid=62805

New screens... probably have been posted before.

They actually look much better than before. I'm not sure why they added grain to it though, but it looks ok. The bushes look terrible..undergrass textures are hideous... and pretty much the whole vegetation doesn't pull it off.

Meh. Arma 2 is still better I think.

those weapons from CM look too plastic, BIS weapons look better metallic

OFP2DR will have FLIR as i seen so far, but characters and weapons look too comics/painted for me

"Presenting tactical, immersive warfare on a scale never seen before in a shooter"

Says it all.. Different market than Arma II. Good pics for a shooter, not something that tries to push toward realistic environment (I mean more than just terrain).

Looks to be fun though. We'll see

To be fair, a lot of the original OFP's storyline was unbelievable but it was still great!

Indeed, CM might as well have recycled the original OFP's plot in OFP:DR and it would still be more plausible than the United States fighting a war for Russia. Just give the island a fictional name (or perhaps shift it to a more politically contentious place like the Spratly Islands), introduce a rogue Chinese General named Guo-Ba, maybe even toss in a cameo by James Gastovski and already there is a plot that is far more interesting than the one we have.

Edited by badlymad

Wow, the audio in FP:DR really sucks. Where did they get them from, Hollywood FX archive?

At least thats a step up from BIs beat-on-drum approach to gun sounds in Armed Assault :D

It's weird how some sound effects sound good in one application while they sound not so good in another. Like the sound effects for the ak74 are also the sound effects for the m16s in The Matrix during the foyer shootout. Those sounds sounded great in the movie.

Probably something to do with the conversion.

But if what you say is true then that has me wondering why they are using sounds from a movie rather then live footage of the real thing, or maybe even the real thing.

Edited by NodUnit

Probably something to do with the conversion.

But if what you say is true then that has me wondering why they are using sounds from a movie rather then live footage of the real thing, or maybe even the real thing.

They aren't using sounds from the movie. They are using sounds from the same source as the movie. We have no idea what that might be, up to and including an high fidelity real firearms sound database.

I think the screen actually looked nice. You have to give them credit for the following ;

- The terrain seems quite bumpy, even more so than in Arma 2, which is nice to get cover.

- Very nice Smoke and particles (seemingly better than Arma 2)

- The distant "non-grass" textures isn't blurry and actually looks nice.

- We also know they have very nice character models (esp. heads) though it's not obvious here...

Still the HDR seems overkill and the grass isn't rendering very far. Overall it feels like Arma 1 level of detail and super high Post-processing option on.

Not exceptionnal, but clearly not as bad as some may want to make believe. I think they're doing a decent job and it will fun to play on XBOX360.

I think it being blurry or not is mostly related to proper use of AF. Here's an example from ArmA, to the left no AF, to the right full 16x AF. High AF being unlikely on the XBOX360, it's probably gonna be blurry again (not that that is going to detract too much from the fun category).

Oh, this post is kinda off topic, isn't it? *feels W0lle breathing down his neck* Well, I kinda liked some things I saw in those screenies! (am I safe now?) ;)

You can certainly see a respectable drawdistance in this old demonstration(though perhaps not 35km yet)

I think it looks pretty good though.

They aren't using sounds from the movie. They are using sounds from the same source as the movie. We have no idea what that might be, up to and including an high fidelity real firearms sound database.

Ah okay, my mistake.

WTF, this game has realistic Javelin Night-Vision Thermal Optics?!

ofpdrjavelinthermalopti.jpg

I hope we will get this in Arma2 too....

Right before he flips up the Javelin display, wasn't that area revealed as a CGI a couple of days ago? :blues:

Here we are.. Same hill, different scenery.

kFVKGH-q10A

But how the javelin "crosshair" will be at the end is anyone's guess, I just wouldn't count this as a real in-game display yet.

Edited by colossus

You can see really far in the cobra shot, but(judging from this low quality video) the effective viewdistance is only a couple of km, and after that, only the shape of the landscape can be seen, making the proclaimed 35km viewdistance kinda useless.

But to be fair, this is a old build.

You can see really far in the cobra shot, but(judging from this low quality video) the effective viewdistance is only a couple of km, and after that, only the shape of the landscape can be seen, making the proclaimed 35km viewdistance kinda useless.

But to be fair, this is a old build.

What i didnt get is that he somehow knew where to look at trough the scope, even though you could only see the landscape without the scope. How did he know where to zoom in? It doesnt make sense. :confused:

The rocky ground looks great though.

Because the animation packages dummy object was positioned there for the proper keyframe, lol. That's a good find colossus. How much of that presentation was CG? I really want to know now.

The movement and weapon sway looks as either the guy is drunk or totally floating on drugs.