FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

BF 2 was an excellent game. If they make something that good, they will be laughing.

CoD 4 style with a giant map would do fine too.

Anything in that sort of vein that actually works is bingotime in my opinion. Nail on the head.

A decent playable combined arms military shooter with co-op. If it can pull that off, (and that's still a big "if" in my books), I will be pleased to buy it.

CM got their grain and Bis got their glowing cows :D

There is a slight difference: Without the glowing cows, ARMA2 would look better, without the film grain to hide the imperfections, DR's graphics would look extra sloppy.

New pic. Grass distance is very low so as not to be useful. Also the nearby ground texture is low-res. Nice smoke, though. Hope the gameplay is good!

Hey they managed to make the non grass bit in the distance actually look good and not look really whacky like some games.

The smoke looks really nice and environment is nice.

Pity OFP: DR isnt coming out soon, i wanted to compare the arma2 and ofp: dr demo to see whihc mil sim i wanted to buy.

There is a slight difference: Without the glowing cows, ARMA2 would look better, without the film grain to hide the imperfections, DR's graphics would look extra sloppy.

New pic. Grass distance is very low so as not to be useful. Also the nearby ground texture is low-res. Nice smoke, though. Hope the gameplay is good!

But we know that you can turn off the glowing cows in ArmA II,. Either tune it down or remove completely. I will disable post processing right away, it's extremely unrealistic and looks bad and hogs up your performance.

I'd like to see the source of that smoke.. Kinda looks like a real image painted on the 'skybox'. If not then that is hella good smoke indeed!

I'd like to see the source of that smoke.. Kinda looks like a real image painted on the 'skybox'. If not then that is hella good smoke indeed!

The smoke appears almost fully volumetric in that it actually reflects sunlight on the underside. It looks like it is actually an extremely complex yet soft 3D structure instead of a bunch of billboard particles.

As this is almost certainly not the case, we are either looking at some extremely advanced particle effects (normal mapped perhaps?) or a simple static image. I'd like to see that smoke in a video.

Hmm, maybe i have bad eyes, but it looks that neer house is blended in to backround with smoke-in strange perspective and second soldier have white border on some parts of gun. Look like three mixed layers in PS again (with wrong picture cut)? Hmm, maybe just strange sshot.

yes, it seems like a previous picture. Picture modified in my opinion with Photoshop

You know now that you mention it.... I think you guys are right.

Look at the gun of the second soldier... how is that NOT a photoshop :confused:

That's probably just some strange rim light...

The screen doesn't look good though ; looks kinda like Ghost Recon 1 graphics.

That Codemasters releases edited pictures is very annoying. CGI can clearly be recognised as such but for a manipulated screenshot you need to have a good eye and experience to see that.

I like the stance of the pistol shooter. I hope they do the same for rifles.

What is a bit annoying is the trash in the UI: weapon pic, ammo type, compass. But maybe that vanishes when you're done reloading.

From Codemasters:

I wondered how long it would take for me to have to answer this following accusations being posted on "another" forum. But no, it hasn't been altered in Photoshop or anything like that and it looks this good in game, in fact it looks even better in motion when you can see the effects of wind on it.

I don't think it's photoshopped. It's just bloom with grain and their shading is giving them some trouble.

Yea well, they've fallen in a trap they've made themselves. When BI releases screens, they are high detail and probably one out of hundred. With codemasters you never know and hence every little detail that's off raises scepticism. Imo they could stop complaining and begin to rebuild the trust they so easily traded for "oooh"s and "aaah"s.

Eh, I still think it looks like shit. just don't like the style. Too much bloom, brown and why the hell did they add the grain. I know it's a war documentary thing or something, but they've gotten better since the 1980s, you don't have VHS anymore, Ross Kemp's documentaries were made in HD FFS. It's just retarded.

Its strange how they never show very complex scenes, i mean on that last pic the player is looking at the top of a small hill, theres two small structures, few trees, bushes and one soldier.

Cant they show us a valley? A town? A military base? The forests?

Where is the game? :confused: .

What do we think

Rock-RKSL

All in all I am very impressed. The new capabilities, the new hemispherical shaders and game play aspects make ArmA the best tactical shooter I've seen since BIS' original Operation Flashpoint appeared in 2001. I suppose the obvious questions to ask are "Do I recommend ArmA2 and would I spend my money on ArmA2?"

Simple answer: Yes! On both counts. Its the engine that ArmA1 should have had from the start. You can see the effort and thought that has gone into it. Pay the money, play the game and have fun. I am confident that this is going to kick the crap out of Flashpoint: Dragon Rising.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=5694

I have to admit; I'm very excited about the release. Though, I noticed a line in the campaign's background that made me pause. It went something like:

"It was decided to send Marines to limit civilian casualties..."

If limiting civilian casualties was my goal, I certainly would not send Marines to do it. I'm just sayin'.

Civilian casualties? I thought all the civilians caught a plane and flew away?

I have to admit; I'm very excited about the release. Though, I noticed a line in the campaign's background that made me pause. It went something like:

"It was decided to send Marines to limit civilian casualties..."

But there are no civilians :confused:

lol...

The smoke in that screenshot looks impressive. And since the rest of the graphics don't look so special, it kinda makes the smoke stand out. Wonder how it looks in motion.

Any accusations of edited screenshots they brought on themselves by using CGI to market the game in the first place.

Please kill the noise filter!

Edited by Maddmatt

Civilian casualties? I thought all the civilians caught a plane and flew away?

I meant that I was excited for ArmA 2; I should have clarified.