FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Cause the developers aren't releasing shit.

Because the game isnt near being released yet. Games been pushed back, doesnt make sense to do massive hyping up just yet.

But how so? The editor only sets the parameters for the mission and (if what we saw in the vid applies to the editor they actually deliver) some effects, and saves them to a file (or transfers them to a running instance if you want ingame editing). That hardly uses any resources - no matter if the game engine were running in parallel or not (most likely not, or at least paused).

The Dirt engine may be crap, but that is definitely not the reason for not including an editor. The gfx/physics engine used has little to no impact on the mission editor. The only reason they can't port the editor to consoles is the editor itself. Look at the IGN vid posted some time ago: it's a standard Windows application, with standard Windows controls (mouse/keyboard), UI and (worst of all) non-portable code. Not only would they have to completely reinvent the UI/control scheme for the editor on Consoles, they'd probably have to do it completely from the ground up.

As a developer I can understand doing the editor this way: Windows desktop development is quick and simple (in other words: cheap) compared to a well integrated multiplatform tool that also needs to support very different control schemes (gamepad vs mouse/keyboard) and screen sizes (from a standard TV to HD). For a 'non-essential'/'nice to have' asset (that's how Codemasters seems to see it) the decision is simple when assigning the budget for the project: keep development for the editor as cheap as possible and rather concentrate on the game itself. And to be honest, the editor looks good - only I won't be able to use it as I'll only play the game on a console...

Interesting post.

I am truly gutted that they're not including a mission editor for the console version.

It's strange that CM were promising a basic, dumbed down mission editor from day one, and then last month we find out that there won't be one. If I understand you correctly, you are basically saying that CM had no intention of releasing an editor for consoles in the first place?

Hi all

CM seem to want the Kudos of BIS's OFP1 name but are unable to live up to the specification.

The whole project seems like a bit of a Clive Lindop.

Kind regards walker

haha best ever :D

Why would anyone be excited about a feature that was in OFP1 being removed?

No features have been removed.

It's a totally independant software.

Hi Fumo

Just do the Math.

Count how many calculations are involved.

Then multiply by number of players in MP.

Then compare to the capability of a standard game server.

I does not add up.

In fact as a result I think CM will have to put limits on how many tanks/vehicles can be in the simulation in MP. Either that or make it use ghost physics where the tank exploding does not affect the virtual world.

Kind Regards walker

Just because you or the guys at BIS or some modders can't make that kind of maths add up, doesn't mean that other more talented people can't.

ID transmit all the netcode for destructable vehicles in Enemy Territory.

If a wheel comes off, the data gets sent to all in the AOI.

They can do it. The maths adds up for them.

Both bandwidths and encryption ratios have come on a long way since OpF came out and the numbers of objects in multiplayer games such as ArmA are somewhat crude compared to the numbers found in Multiplayer games like Supreme Commander or the big MMOs, (Eve gets upto 30,000 players online in the same server). I've seen plenty of game engines that can handle netcode for artillery.

You do the maths. You tell us how much data Codemasters servers can transmit. Tell us the absolute physical limits possible and then the amount of in game objects that equates too.

You like the word "exponential"? Here is something else that is an exponential progression. Encryption.

My previous example of a racing car engine converted to a tac shooter is GRAW for PC. Which really didn't have netcode that was fit for purpose. Similarly a number of games that have attempted this kind of scope in the past have also had poor netcodes. Soldner's was pretty bad. The Original Flashpoints wasn't great and ArmA's is still iffy.

I am expecting the netcode to be one of the weaker area's of OpF2. It's a team with no history of netcoding big MP games in it's past, (and good netcoders are hard to find). But then again nor did BIS when they made Flashpoint. In fact BIS had less experience when they managed to do it, so while I am nervous about it, I'll make my decision out of informed judgement when I see it.

Edited by Baff1

It's calling itself a sequel.

Sequels are expected to expand the original (I'd leave the fact that they usually fail to aside).

And for the love of god stop calling it OPF...

OpF is it's name.

I can't be arsed to play silly buggers.

BI calls it OFP (check this Forum)

Game websites calls it OFP

Gamer magazines calls it OFP

Google knows OFP, no match with OpF

But i'm pretty sure you know a lot more than all those peoples, Baff1

Well,if thats what logic dictates to you, than I can't help you. Of course, they could also remove the guns and make for a nice game of Army Tag, but I think most people expect some sort of continuation of the basic mold of OFP.

Thought that editors of game magazines and newssites take it wrong and just visited the CM page:

Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

About

Taking gamers as close to war as they'll ever want to get, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is the much anticipated return of the genre-defining military conflict simulator.<snip>

Guess the PR team knows that they are gone out on a limb too far, too soon.

Or do they wait until the next generation is going to believe that OFP: DR is the "real successor" of Operation Flashpoint?

Nice ground texture on that sunset pic. Yargh. :crazy:

I agree, and the second picture seems to be done 4 years ago :crazy: the weapon at the right doesn't share the same quality than the Arma2 weapons.

yes, they have still a lot of job to do :bored:

I agree, and the second picture seems to be done 4 years ago :crazy: the weapon at the right doesn't share the same quality than the Arma2 weapons.

Face it, it wont have great graphics unless they pull off a miracle. Just hope for a decent fun game.

Maybe that's why they call it 'the return of' because they are using the same grass textures as OFP from 2001. It's like 'return of some art assets'.

Just wait till game is closer to release, and then they are gona release some vids that will be far superior to that of arma 2 !!!!!

Just wait till game is closer to release, and then they are gona release some vids that will be far superior to that of arma 2 !!!!!

Unlikely.

You seem to be trying hard to troll, and failing.

Unlikely.

You seem to be trying hard to troll, and failing.

Im not trying hard to troll. I was just passing through and decided to quickly add something.

Your taking me too seriously, im just joking around and couldnt care less. I mainly just put it up so i can read another of walker's replies. =D

I mainly just put it up so i can read another of walker's replies. =D

And the difference between that and trolling is what?

Im not trying hard to troll

A confession? :D

Ok maybe I took it too seriously, but that and a couple of other posts looked like it...

Back on topic:

I don't have a lot of faith in OFP2. Without civvies or any life on the island it's kinda dull.

The island is going to have enemies and friendlies, nothing else. No civvies to talk to, to rescue, to play missions as, and no reason for not calling an artillery strike on the town you want to capture. Does it even have towns or just a few little villages?

Wildlife, well I wouldn't call it a vital feature but it would be a nice thing to have.

I'm still looking forward to it as maybe some single player fun, but once that's done it could end up gathering dust. I really hope it has a good single player campaign.

Im not trying hard to troll. I was just passing through and decided to quickly add something.

Your taking me too seriously, im just joking around and couldnt care less. I mainly just put it up so i can read another of walker's replies. =D

LOL! Walked by and saw a button to press. haha. ooh, too funny.

It will be very interesting to see how this all shakes out, between the PR and the real deal (for both games).

-can I try?-

*ahem*

DR will be the Schizzle!

*steps back.. listens*

*crickets*

:(

Wow that was weird

And you had the worst excuse for that

I didn't put period on purpose

BI calls it OFP (check this Forum)

Game websites calls it OFP

Gamer magazines calls it OFP

Google knows OFP, no match with OpF

But i'm pretty sure you know a lot more than all those peoples, Baff1

When it comes to the correct use of the English language, I'm pretty sure I do, yes.

I'm not the kind of person that imitates wrong people just to fit in.

If you wish to learn the correct application of English grammar, in future, I suggest you consult Murphy's or Swann rather than Czech gaming companies, gamer websites and Google.

Well,if thats what logic dictates to you, than I can't help you. Of course, they could also remove the guns and make for a nice game of Army Tag, but I think most people expect some sort of continuation of the basic mold of OFP.

I am willing to bet guns will be in this game.

While OpF2 will be a continuation of the basic mold, it will not be a continution of the basic software.

It is an independantly developed software.

If you want the continuation of the original software, you should buy ArmA if you have not already.

Design features from OpF have not been removed from the design of OpF2. They weren't in there to begin with. Many have been added, but none have been removed.

Edited by Baff1

So the developers themselves - Bohemia Interactive - have no idea what the correct abbreviation for their title is?

Get a grip...

Oh for pete sake Baff stop being such a dullard, Operation Flashpoint has always been abbreviated as OFP. Thus Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising is OFP DR.

OpF and OFP. Two very different zings. Simples.

aleksandr_the_meerkat.jpg