FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

That whole video is CGI. Nothing is ingame, despite what the title says. It was originally a concept video Codemasters had given to those guys to make for them, which they would follow.

WTF, this game has realistic Javelin Night-Vision Thermal Optics?!

[imghttp://img33.imageshack.us/img33/9876/ofpdrjavelinthermalopti.jpg[/img]

I hope we will get this in Arma2 too....

It doesn't look like realistic thermal imaging. It looks like an inverted greenscale image.

And that other video looks more like a flash animation than anything. Nice one-handing the m4 as well.

Edited by Max Power

Nice one-handing the m4 as well.

Nice, someone else noticed that.

I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me :D

its weird, look at the amount of tiling/repetition going on in the rock in the foreground, not only in the texture but in the geometry too. Just an observation really.

That whole video is CGI. Nothing is ingame, despite what the title says. It was originally a concept video Codemasters had given to those guys to make for them, which they would follow.

A lot of thee footage in the video seems to be ingame to me(ln addition to the screenshots and trailers), which is why I find it interesting.

A lot of thee footage in the video seems to be ingame to me(ln addition to the screenshots and trailers), which is why I find it interesting.

It is a target CGI made for GC 2008.

Really? He says it is ingame/in engine, and I doubt he would lie about that. It looks ingame too.

It is really CGI. That company with the red star at the start admitted to it. They made it as a concept for what Codemasters planned to release. It's actually a much older video that's only recently been released.

The screenshots and other videos of the game prove that video is not ingame anyways. It looks nothing like them.

It is ingame, It was stuttering even though not much was on screen (vehicles, smoke, men etc) but remember it is WIP.

I liked the anims for getting in the hummer and the reload anims (hopefully the getting in and out of vehicle anims will be for the main game and not just cut scenes) also did you guys notice the clouds shadow right at the end of the vid! Did look cool.

IGN: What are the biggest challenges in delivering such an ambitious project?

Sion: Probably the streaming and AI. The streaming tech used in Flashpoint is unsurpassed: we have draw distances of 30-plus kilometres, hundreds of thousands of trees, and bushes and rocks throughout the island. It's a very challenging title to test as a result but the results will speak for themselves.

Yeah? 30KM? :icon_ohmygod:

Now look at this:

0043fc.jpg

Knowing that the Island is 50km long, this means we'll be able to almost see the entire island all the time.

They are either pure geniuses at Codemasters or that "executive producer" think we are stupid and is lying.

Take your pick.

source

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/980/980018p1.html

http://nofrag.com/2009/mai/25/31471/

I'll cast my vote for "stupid and lying", please. Judging from previous Codemasters endeavors, that's probably the case. Technically, you can set your view distance in ArmA to 30km, or higher, by the setViewDistance command, but that's not to say it runs well at all.

As previously mentioned, its a good question how detailed things are going to be in distance. If those 30 kms are going to be filled with no details whatsoever except a foggy contour of the landscape form, it doesn't really matter how far you can see.

If the scale on the bottom right is correct, then the island is more like 40-42km long.

Edited by Sniperwolf572

I'm getting a little bit of corridor feeling from looking on that island map...

The island has so much to it, its gona a ton a fun modding in OFP: DR. Especially that volcano.

And if the say its gona have a 30km view distance, then it will. Serves no benefit to them for lying about it.

And if the say its gona have a 30km view distance, then it will. Serves no benefit to them for lying about it.

You mean other than hyping the game up?

LOMAC has 30+ km draw distance. The problem is that on the ground it looks like shit.

lol, i just love it every time boomar comments, laughs assured.

Edit: woops

Edited by cm

And um, the 30km view distance was confirmed to NOT be in the game a while ago...I'm not sure why you guys are even talking about it.

Didnt know that, can you post a link please?

And um, the 30km view distance was confirmed to NOT be in the game a while ago...I'm not sure why you guys are even talking about it.

Because in the latest interview by IGN, Sion Lenton, Dragon Rising's executive producer claims exactly the following:

we have draw distances of 30-plus kilometres, hundreds of thousands of trees, and bushes and rocks throughout the island. It's a very challenging title to test as a result but the results will speak for themselves.

Anyway, it's nice to argue about angels being male or female, but could someone explain me what can be the use of a view distance of 30 km :confused:

The 30km viewdistance will likely look good, but it also means that we can't stream it all fast enough to use jets :) I'd rather use jets. Also we'll see how they do it but it might be clever use of skyboxes, so far, far mountains are 2d, and units might only be visible to 5km or whatever. How the gameplay is affected is what counts.

Anyway, it's nice to argue about angels being male or female, but could someone explain me what can be the use of a view distance of 30 km :confused:

When flying it is very useful (and nice looking) to see the ground around you instead of just looking at a single coloured screen, even if no units etc. are drawn that far... Then again "OFP"DR won't have planes.

When flying it is very useful (and nice looking) to see the ground around you instead of just looking at a single coloured screen, even if no units etc. are drawn that far... Then again "OFP"DR won't have planes.

And without planes ? Can we see so far in an helo in RL ?