FP : DR - News & Discussion

Will you be buy Dragon Rising?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be buy Dragon Rising?

• Yes, I definitely will buy it.
    • No, I definitely won't buy it.
    • I will decide based on the demo.
    • I will decide based on reviews.

Can you drive vehicles in this? I would assume so but I haven't seen a video of it I don't think.

I doubt I will be buying the game but I think I will take a look at the demo and decide.

I just wish I could take the very best aspects of both games and roll them into one, I suspect mostly ArmA but with a more fluid first-person experience.

I just wish I could take the very best aspects of both games and roll them into one, I suspect mostly ArmA but with a more fluid first-person experience.

Yeah i agree. Although you could argue arma's movement acts realistically, it feels so clunky and artificial. I feel like i am controlling a robot. Thats one of the reasons it's so hard to walk indoors on arma 2, you controlling a camera which has been glued to a series of animations.

The gfx you refer to were top notch 10 years ago. Also back then the gameplay was really unique, never seen before, and out of everyones mind!

Strange cause I do remember pretty well the first mission I played in july 2001 on my uncle's high end computer and my first thought was "that game is ugly", even if after this I've been totally addicted to Ofp for about 6 years ..

But hooray for Binoc/ACOG FLIR - those things appear to be battery independent now - big step in technology :D

Here what seems to be mounted on the rifle, that's a scope with FLIR capability.

Can you drive vehicles in this? I would assume so but I haven't seen a video of it I don't think.

Watch this trailer.

the fact that PC gamers get a slightly pumped up console version doesn´t leave a very good feeling at all - and this is an understatement.

That's what I fear too, wait&see if they plan to release modding tools ..

Edited by dunedain

OFP's graphics were originaly really nothing to write home about. Although, I think it did really push the envelope in terms of what kinds of terrain you can render. BIS's later offerings do provide a much better visual experience. The range at which you can see *by default* has not grown very much in later iterations, however.

The gameplay looks like it could be fun, from that video. I think I'd play it.

Graphics still look ugly though.

Movement/sights looks like Call of Duty 4. But that's no complaint, I'd rather play that than COD.

Don't care that it's simpler than ArmA 2. We don't need two of the same game.

I think the two games could complement each other pretty well. I'm not that fussy, I'd play both.

Don't care that it's simpler than ArmA 2

Who says it will be 'simpler'? And how do you define 'simple' here? Where do you think is ArmA2 more 'difficult'? And is more difficult the same as more realistic? To pepper any debate here with such assumptions and guessing doesn't make sense at all. When we are able to play and judge the game after its release then we can draw real comparisons, then it will be possible to say which game is 'simpler' (in the sense of less 'realistic', or even in the sense of 'it plays smoother and better'...). Even those here who are open to a second milsim always seem to have this little bias and I don't know why this is so. There's no reason to think that CM will trifle with the name 'Flashpoint' and rushing out an arcade shooter. I will believe them, that they want to create the most tense milsim ever and then see if the game is actually what they say it is - the tree is known by its fruit...

And I agree 100% to the Team Xbox preview that says:

Amongst the hard core—and let’s be frank here, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is really a game aimed squarely at them—a debate rages on as to whether or not this game has any justification in being made by Codemasters. The publisher may own the rights to the game name, but original developer Bohemia Interactive has been off the project for years. In fact, it went off and made what many consider to be a superior game—and the true sequel to the series—entitled ArmA.

But Xbox 360 gamers don’t really get to engage in the debate. After all, ArmA is a PC-only title, so whether it’s the better game or not is a moot point to us. All we have is Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, so if you’re a fan of the original or really want a seriously realistic infantry simulator and only play games on your Xbox 360, all your hopes are pinned on it.

Grim

Edited by Grimnirsson

Who says it will be 'simpler'? And how do you define 'simple' here? Where do you think is ArmA2 more 'difficult'? And is more difficult the same as more realistic? To pepper any debate here with such assumptions and guessing doesn't make sense at all. When we are able to play and judge the game after its release then we can draw real comparisons, then it will be possible to say which game is 'simpler' (in the sense of less 'realistic', or even in the sense of 'it plays smoother and better'...). Even those here who are open to a second milsim always seem to have this little bias and I don't know why this is so. There's no reason to think that CM will trifle with the name 'Flashpoint' and rushing out an arcade shooter. I will believe them, that they want to create the most tense milsim ever and then see if the game is actually what they say it is - the tree is known by its fruit...

So because no one has ever played the game, we all have to assume that it's going to be a flawless paradigm of gaming goodness until proven otherwise? What was it that you were saying about fanboys in your last post?

So because no one has ever played the game, we all have to assume that it's going to be a flawless paradigm of gaming goodness until proven otherwise? What was it that you were saying about fanboys in your last post?

+1 , ppl keep saying stop bashing the game-"you aint played it yet/it aint out yet"

But we can all give our oppinions of what we've seen so far!

And for the record-i couldn't give a toss if it turns out shite or excellent!

It will be what it turns out to be! :cool:

So because no one has ever played the game, we all have to assume that it's going to be a flawless paradigm of gaming goodness until proven otherwise?

What you are currently assuming is up to you, but indeed it would be fairer to first trust the company that they will do what they promise to achieve with their game. Since you don't have any real stuff to base wild assumptions on, what's the point in making these assumptions in the first place? Do you remember the voices that cried out loud when the first reviews said ArmA2 is a broken game and can't be played without a major patch? All one could hear was, wait for the patch, then judge the game etc.. A game that is already published and has obviously serious flaws shouldn't be judged until the patch (or even more than one?) is out and fixes it all...but assumptions and wild guessing is ok for a game that is not even out yet? That's what I meant with fanboyism.

Grim

The only guy here talking with a none bias tone = Grimnirsson

The rest are just so off the mark, you all need recalibrating.. :D

All for you... Whoof !

don't forget to press the HD button ;)

part 1

part 2

part 3

part 4

p.s. the scope was a TWS (Thermal weapons Sight) UT3500

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362280&highlight=FLIR

Who cares about "fair"? Trailers, screenshots, previews and all that jazz exist so that people can make their minds up about games, wether to persue their eventual interest in them or to ditch that eventual interest as soon as a human brain allows. Some people obviously opt to do the latter whilst you quite clearly prefer the former - Let people have their opinions, I promise, you can still keep yours.

What you are currently assuming is up to you, but indeed it would be fairer to first trust the company that they will do what they promise to achieve with their game. Since you don't have any real stuff to base wild assumptions on, what's the point in making these assumptions in the first place?

Your point is that since no one here has played the game, we can't pass judgement on it. If that argument was taken to its logical conclusion, no one would be allowed to say anything, either good or bad about it. But you seem to think that the only valid opinion to have of the game is a positive one, because the publisher thinks it's a good game!

Well no shit, what did you expect them to say? :icon_rolleyes:

I do agree that some people around here take the OFPDR hating to irrational extremes, but all you're doing is making yourself look like a very gullible hypocrite by treating marketing spin as gospel.

The only guy here talking with a none bias tone = Grimnirsson

The rest are just so off the mark, you all need recalibrating..

Trolling is like sky-diving, you shouldn't try it unless you're completely sure of what you are doing...

You aren't related to the Viiiper who's an admin on the Codemasters forum perchance?

Edited by echo1

Trolling is like ski-diving, you shouldn't try it unless you're completely sure of what you are doing...

You aren't related to the Viiiper who's an admin on the Codemasters forum perchance?

What shit are you trying to dish ?

Before you accuse me of trolling explain yourself.... :p

The Viiiper thing was a joke, as for the first bit, that's self explanatory.

Looking good. I like the thermal sight, flashlight and IR laser.

Edited by sparks50

The Viiiper thing was a joke, as for the first bit, that's self explanatory.

I just don't understand the hatred between Flashpoint2 & Arma2 and please don't tell me it does not exist, this thread is some 200+ pages of it.

I take both games and go from there. I rarely post as the flak is intense and who needs it with RL taking primary point in life. Games are supposed to be R&R.

It was bad @ Cm forums I had to move the Arma2 from the OFP2 forum to the main gamers offtopic, ridiculous... life goes on. ;)

anyway looking forward to more BIS improvements. :bounce3:

The island looks bland and sparse, its seems to be populated with small huts and clumps of trees no diversity ..will their be any large towns or villages?..the one thing i do look the like of is the command interface, specially where you can have your squad assault and clear out a building.should have something like that implemented in arma2.

217 pages later.

OFP: DR has:

Nice and smooth voice overs.

Instead of the robotic sounds of Arma 2, sorry BIS but it sounds bad.

FLIR built in from the start.

If it turns out that vehicles get warmer depending on how long the engine has run I guess I'll fall off my chair.

Speed of sound models.

Flash lights and nice rendering of lightning effects.

Reload animations of secondary weapons such as AT weapons.

Fast commanding menus, thanks to the console* handling

And?

However seeing the animations.

The soldiers look like they're on a stick when moving.

What about destroyable terrain, buildings?

No leaning?

Even tho' some people complain over the animations of Arma and Arma 2 I kind of feel BIS made the animations better.

It seems they have some "fluid movement"(kneel to standing) as Rainbow Six had.

Vehicles, what about them?

Penetration of materials?

And multiplayer, they're keen on telling that the campaign can be played up to four players. But what about online massive battles?

They mentioned there will be no "dumbed down version" for the consoles, and jokingly stating that they(CM) don't think console players to have lower IQ.

MG gunners standing up, not so nice, its OFP all over.

I like what I'm seeing so far, but I wont just rush my ass off to buy this game tho'

I do hope CM will release a demo prior to release.

The sad part of this being, CM has seen the flaws of OFP and Arma and know exactly what to do in order to please some of the Arma community.

But we shall never forget that BIS was the founding father of these kind of games.

*I generally don't like consoles and its my firm belief that consoles will destroy the PC market if people doesn't grow up and understand what PC gaming is all about. Let them xbox,ps3 etc ppl flame each other discussing what console is the best, but leave us PC gamers out of it, stay on the platform type of games.

The only benefit of a console release is that the game developer needs to take graphic performance into account to begin with, and that's a very good thing.

Edited by Taurus

Publisher already told about some villages. No towns, but lots of small details and objects.

Peformance and sounds looks good so far.

Firefights look intense but in stylistic way: engagements under 200m, lots of full-auto fire. Not what I was hoping the action in the game would be like to be honest; since the benefit of features I was looking forward to in DR, like TI optics aren't as important at close range.

Doesn't feel like marksmanship's and conservation of ammo is as critical as it was in OFP; which is what I felt set it apart from most tactical shooters 6 years ago. I'm pretty disappointed by that.

Is it possible to micro-manage your squad; i.e assign individuals to move or target? None of that has been shown.

Taurus

All vehicles are drivable, theres armour penetration for all vehicles, no hitpoint system (no machine gunning a T90 to death).

Also all building are destructable, trees are supposed to be but no footage has show that, but those that have been allowed to have a quick look through the files has spotted a destructible tree command line set to false.

For me the lastest videos are looking great, really cant wait for this, just a shame no editor on console.

All vehicles are drivable, theres armour penetration for all vehicles, no hitpoint system (no machine gunning a T90 to death).

Also all building are destructable

Hats off then!

The question about MP remains unanswered tho'

just a shame no editor on console.

Its quite impractical of clicking around in menus and such with a hand controll. :j: ;)

Well I checked the videos Viiiper provided and I find it the game quite nice. I will definitely try the demo. One thing that bothers me though is how the weapon behaves when you just run, not sprint. CoD style. In OFP there was anims mod where you were running like in Arma just when you pressed fire, weapon went in CoD mode. Quite nice. They should do something like that too.

part 2

5:10 - 5:13, stupid flying camera system, first and third person view have nothing to do with each other and this is the result:

dr1.th.jpg

Enemy 1: Shooting at player and missing. He is killed.

dr2y.th.jpg

Enemy 2: Took same position, is seemingly shooting at teammates. Ok so far

dr3z.th.jpg

Enemy 2 hits and kills the player?

What I hated about Vietcong (and I love those games) were the stupid hats shooting you from behind cover with nothing else sticking out.

Apart from all pros and cons I really don't want another flying camera shooter :(