mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

Huge performance issues in the woods now. Image from Domination session:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2652/4074197822_8a26a85a8d_o.jpg

Not sure how long the image will work though, but basically:

Location 019128 looking 200 degrees.

1668x1044 100% 3D resolution, windowed.

Object detail set to normal.

The rest set to low or disabled, low view distance (set in game, not on screen, to 1500).

Zooming in on the woods it crawls down to 9 FPS, completely unplayable.

Am I the only one having issues in the woods?

Note that this is during multiplayer with several scripts running on clients.

But I've never experienced this bad before unless I ran normal textures and normal videomem.

Yes, explosions have spatial sounds fixed, but not guns yet. Hope they will eventually.

Will test that right away mate.

Note on the explosions first: Its WORKING! The sounds are staying at its sources. Yipiie. :)

EDIT: NVM - irregular stutters i experienced was due to a website being open in the background. In Win7 i get stutters in ARMA2 when a website is open in the background... So i cant help you there CG. When closing that site down the forest was good to me. The usual hardcore trees drag down FPS a lot though, but thats normal.

EDIT2: The performance around otherwise is awesome. Very good.

EDIT3: Tested the forest lag thing again by flying over it, and i noticed the lag problem. When walking inside i have no problems so far, but when flying above forests looking into them i get more lag. Much than before. So your right CG. At least partially true for myself.

Edited by Alex72

Tree's used to KILL my performance by more than 50% with my 8800GTX... since I upgraded to a GTX275 the performance when looking/zooming and observing trees has more than doubled!

I now get over 60 fps while looking at tree's from under them. I might try the area you mention to see what my results are like.

Yapa

Someone needs to start a 'developer of the year' award committee, something that showcased the quality of commitment to their comunities, 'cause BIS would win that hands down. Great swarm of betas guys! Thank you for all the hard work, it shows.:yay::cancan::cheers:

nvm...nice Patch..GJ

Edited by Cross
had a problem in the shortcut. Shortcut also renamed the old beta folder in the startup line as I renamed the old betafolder.

Has anyone found out how to use the suppressFor command and what effect it has? I didn't have time to test this yet.

Wow. The suppressFor command (not in wiki yet, but ingame help works) was bloody awesome! Hopefully we'll see this one being used a lot in missions and AI behavioral addons.

Alt tabbing in windowed editor still causes Arma to hang.

Would it be possible for someone to post more information on this command? My somewhat limited testing failed to show a significant change in behavior while using it.

From what I could've seen, it basically causes the AI to apply suppressive fire on your last known position for the amount of time you've specified, so for example, if you plant down a west and an east soldier in the editor, name them w1 and e1, put up an radio trigger with "e1 suppressFor 10", each time you activate the trigger, e1 will suppress your last known position for 10 seconds. Didn't observe any effect if he is not aware of you. Didn't check how it affects multiple targets.

Edit: Short demo

. Edited by Sniperwolf572

I never had any showstopping problems with OFP, arma nor arma2. Still I know/knew that BIs will make the game better, as always.

Love the new heli throttle and grasslayer + all of the other fixes.

Just wanted to say thank you BIS, your work is appreciated!

Wow wow and wow... ( yea i am not talkin about a blizzard game ) :-)

Bohemia interactive Studio dose it again!

Simply fantastic. Yea you guys would win that "developer of the year" contest, Not because you pump out game after game, but because you really care that WHAT you release, is as close to what you and the community would like to achieve as possible... even if it means pumping out patches:-)

Great. I for one will support you however i can, BI has proven ( again ) that every tital from them is worth every penny paid for it :-)

To the patches, i cant tell much yet, xcept that i am very happy to get them.

Will test tonight. From what i read so far, it seems great .

Thank you again and again for all that BIS

Edited by markushaze

Now if this issue : http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/4864 could be taken care of, I would be in heaven !

Because of the iron sights/optics misalignment in crouched position, I spend more time fighting against the gun sway than killing the opfor. Sometimes hitting your target in the crouched position is a real feat :D

I play without crosshair so it can be very annoying.

Agree. This needs to be fixed as soon as possible. Sometimes you wonder if fade has kicked in :p

i thought it was there because i was fatigued but apparently it is a bug. wow!

Heh yeah going from standing to crouching wears you out :p

Fatigue would make you sway not set aim completely off(mainly talking red dot here) :)

Edited by JW Custom

I need some help here ive iinstalled the new BETA as descrided (im used to installing ArmA 1 betas) so I think ive done everything right. When I load up ArmA II using the beta shortcut it says its the right beta version down in the right hand corner what I dont understand is this, can I play on normal 1.04 servers with the beta because there are a lot of servers in my list?

In the old arma betas you could only join a beta updated server im a bit confused?

You can join all servers which have installed the normal 1.04 version with these beta patches in ArmA².

Thanks for improving and fixing Arma2. :)

Hmm AI still keep on shooting at destroyed vehicles. Played the official mission where you have to clean Elektrozavodsk from CDF troops with default setting on veteran. The helicopter was shot down and exploded into a building but the T-90 kept on firing with his machinegun at the helicopter till the mission was over. :confused:

Next thing that happen is strange too - AI fire with rifles and machineguns on tanks. Guess that the "AI contact-reveal-fire" feature gets activated regardless if the revealed AI has an AT weapon or not.

Would be very good if the AI inform the team/players about the discover before shooting at the enemies. What about proper AI contact reports with compass orientation and distances in metres?

Hope that AI gets an extra tuning & testing timeframe.

Next thing that happen is strange too - AI fire with rifles and machineguns on tanks. Guess that the "AI contact-reveal-fire" feature gets activated regardless if the revealed AI has an AT weapon or not.

Thats old news but a very annoying habbit the AI have :(

I have a bug to report. When using the iron sights and holding my breath or zooming I get a flickering white screen.

I have a bug to report. When using the iron sights and holding my breath or zooming I get a flickering white screen

All weapons with ironsights or certain ones?

Anyone having difficulties downloading this beta ? The link seems to be broken with error

"Error 5 (net::ERR_INVALID_HANDLE): Unknown error."

Clean Win7 64-bit, i7 920, 6GB RAM, NVidia GTX 295 with 191.07, Creative X-Fi with latest drivers. 1920x1200, all on "very high" except for AA and terrain detail.

Beta 59924: I have sound/graphics stutter which was not there in build 59842. Audio or graphics freezes for a fraction of second in a series, resulting in <5 FPS. Most prominent when exiting/entering vehicles. The freezes in graphics and audio seem to be unrelated, sometimes I have sound, but no graphics, sometimes the opposite, but it is so fast that hard to tell. Sound is choppy during game. dpclat.exe shows perfect green bars during the game. Lower view distance lowers the frequency of the stutter, but it is still there.

The good news is that with all earlier versions the game was CTD'ing with memory errors in Win7. Now it did not, perhaps the large VRAM fix solved these.

I have new messages in the .rpt:

Error: post effect with priority 1550 already exist.

class HitPoints::Hitglass not found in Land_HouseV_1I1_dam

Error: Hitpoint Hitglass not found in the model ca\structures\house\housev\housev_1i1_dam.p3d (original model ca\structures\house\housev\housev_1i1.p3d)

Another problem is the flashing flicker when changing from map to game. The background of the "Receiving..." screen is rapidly changing between white and black. It was there in the earlier patches on XP, but was solved somewhere around 1.03. On Win7 it is back, sometimes the flash is between grey and black. Extremely unpleasant to the eyes.

Edited by Proton

latest version: 59928

seems BI is trying to make up the time they lost on the long halt between 59323 and 59857

This beta still have sound distortion to me on weapon fire. Havent notice it on helicopter engine sounds as before and it is not the distortion that was before where it distorted over all sounds. Its only on each weapon sound (every bullet) when i stand from certain angles, and its not all the time. Just sometimes.

I get some kind of BANGEEEEECCHHXX BANGEEEECCHHXX and sometimes the "screetch" sound (distortion) is prolonged a little bit longer. Will make a video when i get the chance.

Alex ,I have not tried any of the betas since Beta 1.3.0.58879 because of the on-going sound problems (Distortions you describe and drop-outs of auto SA fire).

Consiquently I am running 1.03 Patched version - Newbie Question - Will I be able to run the latest beta build 59928 ? or will it not work on a 1.03 Patched version?

I Know readme says "original version 1.04" thanks.

Like you, I think the sound is vital for immersion.

Even if you would be able to run beta build 59928 on a 1.03 patch, it wouldn't bring too much good things. For using current betas it's best to go up to 1.04.

Didn't notice any new disortion myself yet. For me it's pretty much gone for a long time.

From what I could've seen, it basically causes the AI to apply suppressive fire on your last known position for the amount of time you've specified, so for example, if you plant down a west and an east soldier in the editor, name them w1 and e1, put up an radio trigger with "e1 suppressFor 10", each time you activate the trigger, e1 will suppress your last known position for 10 seconds. Didn't observe any effect if he is not aware of you. Didn't check how it affects multiple targets.

Edit: Short demo

It looks like your demo shows an enemy vehicle suppressing an infantry soldier. It's very interesting, but I wonder if the same behavior can be shown in an infantry-on-infantry engagement.

Maybe it's just me but after adding the last patch the AI seem to be a little more aggressive. The Mission I was on earlier I usually get wiped out after about 10-15 mins with the new patch it was 2-4 mins until I changed my approach.

Yes it's my feeling also.