Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

7/10 from Tiscali? That's like 17/10 from IGN, nice ;)

don't know about Tiscali, but 7/10 from any game mag would be pretty good. it's just that people have become so accustomed to 80s and 90s that a rating of 70 seems average to most nowadays. :)

7/10 from Tiscali? That's like 17/10 from IGN, nice ;)

haha, exactly.

In saying samples I assume they mean maximum simultaneous samples

Correct, i think the maximum simultaneous sounds playing at once on screen is a maximum of 128! which is quite a lot in a battle!

Well people not long now!!!! Enjoy the weekend as its your last Free Weekend!!! before being enslaved to OA! :D

Can't believe that guy has to get 40 FPS in games. I mean seriously!

With the settings hes running on he should be getting 40fps lol! unless hes using a PC from the early 90s.

With the settings hes running on he should be getting 40fps lol! unless hes using a PC from the early 90s.

C2D 3.0GHz, 3GB RAM, N260GTX 896MB, driver 197.45

^ his PC. He's doing it WRONG.

He actually has a pretty decent PC:

It's just he reviews the game like it's an FPS a'la MW2, and for him, in FPS games, he needs 40 FPS. Apparently he can't hit a building with 25 FPS.

Oh, and there's also this thanks to Rommel:

REzFUNTs024

Edited by Zipper5
Added video

Yay Huey , i love that (vbs2) model :D

Can't wait to test my sound of it - whoop whoop :p

don't know about Tiscali, but 7/10 from any game mag would be pretty good. it's just that people have become so accustomed to 80s and 90s that a rating of 70 seems average to most nowadays. :)

Naah it's not that, without going into it there's history with Tiscali.

Dunno but to me them Hueys move very weird/unrealistic in that youtube clip.

Maybe that clip is more accelerated than normal

It's edited . The speed is increased when they take off .

Edited by Maio

Oooh has the net code been improved I really

cant keep sniping with the AI warping (please don't say its my ping as its a known issue).

Thanks

Maybe that clip is more accelerated than normal

Oh k..

Actually it wasn't edited, but fraps definitely did speed it up for some reason. I was recording at around 20fps, and it was trying to record at 30fps, therefore I think it was at around 1.5* the frames at times.

When I realized this, I slowed down the time so I was doing closer to 1:1... but the post-processing effects really made ends meat of my PC (note, without the high PP, I get 60fps... my CPU really bottlenecks). It didn't help most times I had my VD at 10,000 :P.

The one time the helicopter does move 1:1, it is still a strange mover anyway. Was great fun though. ;)

For example I can do a 180d turn, radius of 20m from 180kmph in the UH1H ... and come out with a bit of speed. Its ... strange, but it is the review version, and there has been so many tweaks that I've been given insight to, I wouldn't worry.

Edited by Rommel

He actually has a pretty decent PC:

It's just he reviews the game like it's an FPS a'la MW2, and for him, in FPS games, he needs 40 FPS. Apparently he can't hit a building with 25 FPS.

He's got it right apparently.

Edited by ziiip
typo

Can't believe that guy has to get 40 FPS in games. I mean seriously!

more funny i considiering that one reviewer complaing about AI not leaving static mounted weapon when you approach him with tank ...

i mean how many games You know where AI leave the mount, takes cover, run for his life, give up or try find something to kill the tank ...

i barely can count more than 5 and none perfectly

Edited by Dwarden

Oh, and there's also this thanks to Rommel:

The terrain may have less objects but I'm smitten, some of the best I have ever seen.

Oh and it's nice to see that the thermal imaging can see through smoke and dust..I was afraid that might not happen...Yaaaay!

Even better is that he said it is backwards compatible.

Edited by NodUnit

Awesome night ops video, especially the part with the smoke screen. But what's this "AVAILABLE NOW!" part? :p

I almost had a heartattack when I saw that. I was all "Where? Where?! WHERE?!" :D

32 voices has nothing to do with stereo.

It's about the software and hardware being capable of simultaneously playing 32 different sounds from different 3-dimensional sources.

ArmA 2 uses XAudio 2, which means you can play in mono, stereo and multi-channel surround sound.

It's a shame they didn't include EAX support in ArmA 2, which can handle 128 voices with all kinds of neat effects.

Still doesn't beat good old Aureal 3D, but it sure as hell beats XAudio 2.

you obviously mismatch the featureset

you can have 128 3D sounds on xAudio2 same as on 128 3D sounds on EAX (end of life DSound3D or OpenAL)

with CPU driven xAudio2 you can use even 1024 3D sounds but that would kill the CPU ...

while with hardware you will be limited to 128 hardware and rest software driven

and yes i'm fully aware of the advantages of hardware accelerated audio as i own X-fi

aka lower latencies

nearly zero performance impact (X-fi is 400MHz Audio processor)

better quality (well it's all about parts used)

etc.

---------- Post added at 15:29 ---------- Previous post was at 15:27 ----------

Is this the "samples" option as seen in the pictures Rommel posted? If so its 24 to 64... Since sample rate doesnt usally go above 24bits nor have 32/64khz steps, that doesnt make much sense.

Either way, I hope the boost in audio channels is enough. I notice sound cut outs in just about every round of Army2 I play.

it's number of 3D samples processed and played at once

Don't know if anyone else saw this but it looks like the KSK units have the black SUV.

Saw it in a screenshot on the aussie website. :D