Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

So all in all, I see it as a win win situation. BIS fund future projects and we get some great content.

What most of the present payed :yay: nay-saiyers don't get is this: it's not only about the actual content. You will profit from this even if you do not buy it, simply because payed :yay: means that the core game will be supported for a longer period of time. Be it for bugfixes, improvements to the core game or even new features or some new small content too.

I can't see how anyone can be opposed to payed :yay:. And please don't come up with the good old multiplayer and community-fragmentation argument again. It's invalid. All we need is a better filter in the mp-lobby.

Edited by ruebe
I'm sorry. Edit for the bananas! Yay!

Reading the part about things in the game that are often overlooked reminded me of a moment I had in ArmA when I came under fire and all hell was breaking loose all around me. I hit the deck and as I was lying there in the grass trying to look as inconspicuous as possible, a beautiful dragonfly was flying around just in front of my face where I landed. I couldnt help but wonder at the contrast of what was going on around me and the typical sights of the wonderfull summers day that was being represented by the game engine at that time. Just one in a long line of memorable moments from this masterpiece.

Edited by Killerwatt
spelling

Well that sucks :(

If the paid content was only single player campaigns and missions then it wouldn't make any difference as I could skip it just like I skip the campaign that comes with the main game. But units, islands etc will be such a pain in the ass for multiplayer.

But units, islands etc will be such a pain in the ass for multiplayer.

Not really any more than community addons already are. Plus given the fact this would be an official content there is a chance you could filter these out in the server browser.

It has been interesting to read this, many thanks!

But for my part, i was waiting for optimization for 64bit system and >1.5Gb RAM:

"Will OA take more advantage of system memory and use more than 1.5Gb if available?

There are some experiments in this area, and we hope to bring some improvement soon for both Arma 2 and OA."

Good!! i Hope it will be ready soon!!

"When will BIS move to 64Bit client/server (more memory utilization, less HD streaming, etc..)?

Once a significant number of users have 64 bit capable systems. Until recently, only about 3% had it, with the launch of Windows 7 it is changing very quickly (but unfortunately, only about half of Windows 7 systems are 64 bit)."

If we're talking well about player's computers and not only server, i'm a bit disappointed (I can't beleive we are "just" 3% to wait for this, as they said, with win 7 coming, this number will grow up!).

"Will women [...] hold weapons and drive any vehicle and aircrafts in ARMA2:OA?

No. Not only it would mean a lot of work without any real purpose but we also prefer not having women involved in combat in our games."

no women involved in combat... well, honestly i don't understand why women couldn't. Why men and not women? Several countries engage women in combats.

There were my "negative" feedbacks, for the rest, congratulations and thank you!

Anyone got any idea on what kinds of animals we can expect to see?

Still I wonder how they'll secure this, if it's as protected as RH or QG it won't be harder than a simple copy/past of few pbo ... :j:

So what? If it's about gamplay and tactics and what not, everyone is all mature and grown up (and proud of it). But if it's about paying some lousy bucks for a great company that makes great games, you're all thirteen again (no money, no standards nor ethics, inadequate pocket money)?

no women involved in combat... well, honestly i don't understand why women couldn't. Why men and not women?

ESRB already had

in a 17+ game.

Although I'd imagine the real problem is the insane number of animations that would need to be made.

Some disappointments, some hopes for the future, and some nice stuff...

UAV : Camera now stays focused on point where you looked last (similar to camera.sqs with locked target)

About DLC, I have way too much fun with Arma not to fund more cool stuff, as long as I feel that I get value for money !

* new option allowing players to set maximum simultaneously played samples and increased default value (from 16 to 32)

Well thats retarded, ive got a soundcard being able to play 128 sounds simultaneously which is going to be used for nothing else then plugging my speakers in? :p

Especially since the game is already hard on our CPU's, why also calculate the sounds on them?

Oh well, didnt really expect a change in this area anyway. :(

"Will women [...] hold weapons and drive any vehicle and aircrafts in ARMA2:OA?

No. Not only it would mean a lot of work without any real purpose but we also prefer not having women involved in combat in our games."

no women involved in combat... well, honestly i don't understand why women couldn't. Why men and not women? Several countries engage women in combats.

you want to shoot a woman in the face? i don't, and i'm glad BIS see it the same way.

but then again, this topic has been beaten to death here, and BIS have made their point of view clear.

Israeli Army features a lot of women, even ours more and more. I don't see why this could be a problem. Its even a bit schovinistic to make such decisions. I guess one more thing for the community to make on their own.

you want to shoot a woman in the face?

Nope. Neither do I want to shoot a man in the face. :p

Microsoft Flight simulator.

This. ^

Question : Is the Arma2official channel on youtube managed by BIS or by IDEA ?

Answer: BIS afaik.

IDEAgames has their own channel.

Real men wear makeup. :D

The former, I believe.

Edited by Laqueesha

[/color]

you want to shoot a woman in the face? i don't, and i'm glad BIS see it the same way.

You don't shoot a woman in the face, but you do for a man, right? What is the difference?

Arma is a game, claimed as a simulation, and in real life there are female soldiers, so...

That makes me thinking about children: still no children in arma. Ok it could be chocking for many people even for a game, but unfortunately, in many lands (and it's sad today again), children are engaged, by force or not.

I shoot "virtually", i don't kill or even beat people in real, male, female, kids... ;)

That is my point of view

Best Regards

Edited by Giuppo

Giuppo: we had a long discussion about "toy soldiers" and mods locked it. Afterall its BIS decision what to allow and what not. I find it quite amusing that 13-year olds actually buy Arrrowhead and play MP as grown-up men shooting AKs at you. But god forbid couple of kids & women running around the virtual battlefield ;)

p.s. loved A1 where I could make a multiplayer mission where:

a) armed old ladies pulled MP5s and opened fire on a team doing raid in that neighbourhood

b) raid on a whorehouse where couple of hookers pulled berettas and fired on my guys

Games should be shocking and fun at the same time :)

Maybe in OA will be these 2 new animals (from VBS2)-

camel_1.jpgdonkey.jpg

Camel - Light Brown and Donkey

http://www.arma2.com/images/stories/jac_faq/random4.jpg

this pic just made me think: how will AIs use the lasers? will they be like headlights and turned on at all times during low lights conditions? only in combat mode? only when an AI is targeting someone? none at all?

and speaking of which, how did you find those pics?

Edited by That guy