Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

As stated before in the thread, the units may be part of a patch as a DLC. It might even include the country of Karzeghistan, mentioned in that same AAN-News faux article. But, one thing's for sure, they won't be in the release version Operation Arrowhead as already confirmed by sources.

You are not getting the point . Unless they are planning on changing the name from Operation Arrowhead to Operation ArrowheadX after the release of the presumed DLC . They said that they wont be in OA ( the stand alone expansion ).

You are not getting the point . Unless they are planning on changing the name from Operation Arrowhead to Operation ArrowheadX after the release of the presumed DLC . They said that they wont be in OA ( the stand alone expansion ).

And how does that remove the possibility of DLC? It won't be in Operation Arrowhead, the disc/download version you get, but it might be a DLC released later on?

I don't want this game to be more popular. Go look at "MW2"'s fanbase. Do you really want 13 year olds playing Arma 2' date=' finding every little glitch/unbalanced weapon and exploiting them? no thanks..

it works for other games, such as "Bad Company 2".

So can someone confirm that all buildings are enter able in OA? Like the big mosque I saw in a trailer..[/quote']

what 13 year olds? im talking about the PC platform. what 13 year old games on a pc rather then a 360/ps3?

MW2 on the pc like MANY other PC games have a lot of mature gamers.

And he's right. They can't.

Ah. And that's exactly what DM was talking about... :plain:

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

If any a.i enters a building in arma2. they either get stuck or die in my experience.

You must be experiencing it wrong then. Maybe I should just release one of my (incomplete) missions to show everyone...

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

Some previews have mentioned that the A.I is able to navigate through buildings and actively use them. I think it was the ArmedAssault.info preview.

Fantastic. Good to know OA will contain features already present in ArmA 2.

The game improvements most probably in a next patch (or if ArmA2 is installed already when OA will be). Enterable buildings most probably not because for that all the buildings in ArmA2 must be modified. Same goes for FLIR compatibility which is available only for OA vehicles/units.

As for the marketing: Go and spread the word. word of mouth propaganda can be way more effective and is much cheaper than running a marketing campaign. ;)

And if I can decide between marketing hype and a dumbed down game for the masses and the current BI marketing and game then I take the latter, anytime. :)

i prefer the latter too but tbh if placebo diddnt make a post about this game over at evo web, i wouldnt have a clue what this was all about so i feel maybe a little bit of marketing could me needed to make users aware that this game exists.

what 13 year olds? im talking about the PC platform. what 13 year old games on a pc rather then a 360/ps3?

MW2 on the pc like MANY other PC games have a lot of mature gamers.

I do find that hard to believe from my experiences playing the game, but I do agree with you to some extent.

The game isn't exactly easy to learn, or even play, which may also be one of the reasons it is not as popular as it should be.

How about every time someone who has no effing clue what they're talking about tries to suggest that they know best what BIS should do, they get banned? :cool:.

Please, someone promote DM to Mr. Epic and use his suggestion.

One Question:

@Wolle you said

The game improvements most probably in a next patch (or if ArmA2 is installed already when OA will be). Enterable buildings most probably not because for that all the buildings in ArmA2 must be modified. Same goes for FLIR compatibility which is available only for OA vehicles/units.

Does this mean if we place russian units in the Editor, we won´t be abl to see them through FLIR?

Also did you see this?

(Part of an interview http://gamingnexus.com/Article/Arma-II-Operation-Arrowhead-Interview/Page3/Item2656.aspx )

Another interesting feature is the addition of detachable backpacks that store equipment, can you give us some examples of what this equipment is? How did you decide to add these to the game?

Every soldier can carry some magazines, additional weapons or grenades. Backpacks just enhance the space for ammunition and equipment, allowing soldiers to carry anything from more ammo for a buddy machinegunner to a grenade launcher, some explosives or a spare guided missile. We expanded the capabilities by allowing soldiers to carry the static weapons: if you disassemble a heavy machinegun on a tripod, you end up with backpacks containing the weapon and its support, which you can carry and reposition as needed. Another interesting way to use the backpack is to carry the entire UAV terminal.

Does this mean if we place russian units in the Editor, we won´t be abl to see them through FLIR?

As confirmed by the developers, units won't have "complex" FLIR. For example, ArmA 2 vehicles will show up as all white/black when turned on, as opposed to OA's complex thermal simulation: engines, guns, weapons getting hot etc.

Thats sad, I wonder if this will be adressed in a future patch

Most probably not, simply because for that all the existing human and vehicle models must be edited again. Never say never though and we know the BI guys are good for a surprise but I wouldn't count on it.

It's more likely that the community will add this, and faster too. :)

What theres not enough content out there already :confused:

the PR mod will add the brits.

Yeah Wolle, the Community will fix it (unless it is hardcoded)

I do find that hard to believe from my experiences playing the game' date=' but I do agree with you to some extent.

The game isn't exactly easy to learn, or even play, which may also be one of the reasons it is not as popular as it should be.[/quote']

Ok their maybe some kids around but not as bad as in console land plus this game really aint that hard to grasp and learn.

Maybe because im not a dumb idiot but seriously how difficult is it to play this game? its piss easy mate.

i tell you what is not easy to learn. Programming in android(although thats piss for me too as its still "java" and i know java since university.) But you catch my drift.

Their are far more difficult and challenging things to learn then Arma 2.

I don't know, I find your infuriated whine posts about people not knowing every excruciating detail about this game a tad more annoying.

Well excuse me for wanting to have the FACTS before screaming it across the internets that the brits will [not] be in OA, that dlc will [not] be payware or any of the other bullshit that people have been pushing as fact over the last few weeks. :j:

This is a discussion forum about the game and there's nothing wrong with asking questions

I dont have any problem with people asking questions. Its the endless people saying shit like

any DLC will be free
the brits will be in oa

and so on.

They have no facts to back it up, and it gets really boring correcting these fools.

Its easy to see how quickly these rumours spread too - 5 pages in a matter of hours the first time DLC was mentioned, people bitching about feeling let down that the brits arent in OA (according to the official youtube channel) when it was NEVER promised by BI in the first place.

I hope you can see how easy it is to become infuriated by it...

Yeah Wolle, the Community will fix it (unless it is hardcoded)

Its not hard coded, but you do have to have source data to "enable" it. The TI textures are baked into the model/rvmat during binarization, so without the A2 source models, you wont be able to reverse-engineer them in.

Enterable buildings most probably not because for that all the buildings in ArmA2 must be modified.

Well if by this your implying that OA buildings have been built from the ground up with AI in mind -I say

:yay:

I would stay in OA and never look back into Chernarus. AI functionality trumps all else to this SP.

OA buildings are easier to move inside due to more "swing-space" (sorry bit of swenglish), but more room to operate. If its made for AI i cant say, but i would think its easier for them to move in there for sure.

Most probably not, simply because for that all the existing human and vehicle models must be edited again. Never say never though and we know the BI guys are good for a surprise but I wouldn't count on it.

It's more likely that the community will add this, and faster too. :)

Asked this before, but here we go again...

If THAT sometime happens, theres ANY possibility that BIS integrates in an Oficial patch or something?

Asked this before, but here we go again...

If THAT sometime happens, theres ANY possibility that BIS integrates in an Oficial patch or something?

I think I was pretty clear about this in my last post.

It is possible of course. But if it will be done by BIS is another question only BIS can answer.

I'm not part of the developer team, I'm not even part of BIS so I really can't answer that for sure. :)

And for the Brits:

We will see in less than 14 days.

OK here is the thing that bugs me . Those screens with British troops . BIS said on their youtube channel that British forces won't be in OA , yet those screens appeared on AAN-online.com which was used in the past to promote official game content , and those units look BIS made :confused: .

I'm not complaining only that I find it kinda strange and I feel bad for the brits .

Well im a little confused maybe the DEVS could enlighten us? maybe the British units will be in some future patch : and then we can put this to bed once and for all..

Well im a little confused maybe the DEVS could enlighten us?

Pretty sure they'll tell us when they're ready to...

If Big Dawg can provide an example (video) of AI intelligently using buildings in vanil A2, that would be great.

For those who say that the AI won't currently enter buildings without glitching, play through the DAC tutorial missions and see just how successful that designer's scripts are at making the AI enter and check any building they encounter in a convincingly-human fashion.

The video was pretty cool. It is nice to see actual confirmed content instead of just smoke and mirrors.