Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

Just checked the OA FAQ and great to see that the old 360 degree radar is history as well - awesome work BIS, waiting patiently for my pre-order to arrive!

/KC

The new radar is 360 degrees as well, just top down. Or maybe that's not what you're glad about :P .

The new radar is 360 degrees as well, just top down. Or maybe that's not what you're glad about :P .

Maybe I just missunderstood exactly what they mean but on one screen shot it looked like the A-64D had a limited A/G radar arc and not 360?

Ohh well, we all will soon find out :)

/KC

Maybe I just missunderstood exactly what they mean but on one screen shot it looked like the A-64D had a limited A/G radar arc and not 360?

Ohh well, we all will soon find out :)

/KC

No, it has a full 360 degree radar with 2 radials that indicate your field of view and not the radar's operating field. As in, the 2 radials move with your head to indicate what you're looking at, and you can see everything on the radar anyway.

Well on that video, i got a reply from official arma2 saying, ''@JezaGooner Hello, unfortunately British troops will not be in Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead. The game is mainly about US Army forces ''

So looks like those pictures on AAN are actualy something else maybe PR mod.

No, it has a full 360 degree radar with 2 radials that indicate your field of view and not the radar's operating field. As in, the 2 radials move with your head to indicate what you're looking at, and you can see everything on the radar anyway.

Ahh, thanks for clarifying Hamm!

/KC

Well on that video, i got a reply from official arma2 saying, ''@JezaGooner Hello, unfortunately British troops will not be in Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead. The game is mainly about US Army forces ''

That still doesn't rule out Karzeghistan DLC, since that's what the AAN article was mainly about.

Hmm, so it really was Albatros in the night screenshot... and the fact that it is not Czech Air Force but Takistani Army is quite a surprise.

Ahh, thanks for clarifying Hamm!

/KC

No problem! Here's a small example:

krawallbrand_ARMA_II_OA017.jpg

The green radials represent the player's view, while the grey ones are the gunner's view (guessing here), which is a pretty cool addition. Another example: 11934-obr.jpg.

If you want more pictures: http://picasaweb.google.com/107799919067587487036

Nope, not PR either.

Interesting then, as Ham stated maybe to be in a patch ect, Oh i dunno :p just wondering from what few members have been saying where those pics orginated from... mystry! :)

Nope, not PR either.

Well the only option is something like a VBS2 update or something then? :(

The vid looks great can't wait.

Wow that new video looks gangsta. Nice one BIS. Although I cant find the link to download the video in HD.

That still doesn't rule out Karzeghistan DLC, since that's what the AAN article was mainly about.

This is the most likely option imo (Free DLC!!! BIS have never asked for money in their DLC and patches and I doubt they ever will, lets stop this pointless discussion about paid DLC...)

I really doubt it'll be from PR as their models look completely different (compare them to the PR trailer...).

Anyone got any idea what's moving in the background from 0:45 to 0:48 in

? It could just be one of those oil-pump thingies :rolleyes:

I'm also intrigued as to how the ambient civilian module will work, the houses are now enterable so will the civilians run into the houses and dissappear like they did in ARMA2 or just enter the houses and stand around/sit down? This way they'll be much more approachable and it'll be much less a pain in the arse to find out how the weather will be and where you are :D.

-----[EDIT]-----

Also 2:05 to 2:12 there are 2 icons on the right side, one is possibly an artillery module and the other looks like an airstrike module.

a2numodules.jpg

Nice!!! :)

Why don't BIS disable resample in their trailers :( that would make it much easier to spot things..

(I assume they're using vegas)

-----[EDIT 2]-----

Another thing I spotted (quite obvious thing this time)

The t-72s now have lights attached to the rotating gunner part which means that it'll be much easier for gunners to spot targets at night!

Especially with the updated lighting effects (SSAO makes me smile)

Edited by SASrecon

Anyone got any idea what's moving in the background from 0:45 to 0:48 in

? It could just be one of those oil-pump thingies

Wow good eyesight on that one I barely noticed it when I was looking for it. It does appear to be an oil-pump though.

@1:23 is that an M113 driving across? I'm not talking about the tank there is something closer.

Also, im wondering if they have a Czech version of that plane in there. It seems kind of odd to give one to the Takis since they already have an Su-25. However, if they already had one in for the Czechs it would make more sense.

Edited by Jakerod

@1:23 is that an M113 driving across? I'm not talking about the tank there is something closer.

Looks like it indeed. Nice find!

Atleast the turret is the same.

I'm also intrigued as to how the ambient civilian module will work, the houses are now enterable so will the civilians run into the houses and dissappear like they did in ARMA2 or just enter the houses and stand around/sit down? This way they'll be much more approachable and it'll be much less a pain in the arse to find out how the weather will be and where you are :D.

Good question! I think you're onto something, since in the trailers there was an "ALICE 2" module!

that's why i would appreciate a list of new content in OA, a wiki or something. there seems to be considerable confusion as to what will actually be shipped with OA.

like others, i expected to see British units in OA, since they appeared in those screenshots, and BIS said they still had a few surprises in store...

DLC doesn't sound good to me. that's the cancer that's destroying gaming, along with intrusive DRM, on consoles as well as the PC.

that's why i would appreciate a list of new content in OA, a wiki or something. there seems to be considerable confusion as to what will actually be shipped with OA.

like others, i expected to see British units in OA, since they appeared in those screenshots, and BIS said they still had a few surprises in store...

DLC doesn't sound good to me. that's the cancer that's destroying gaming, along with intrusive DLC, on consoles as well as the PC.

As has been stated before, DLC doesn't mean you have to pay for it. BI has given us DLC since Operation Flashpoint (Apache, Chinook, HMMV, BMP-2, etc.), Armed Assault (Warfare, Marines, South Sahrani, RACs T-72, etc.), and ArmA II (Apache, Eagle Wing).

Edited by Jakerod

No Brits? Then why didn´t BIS immediately say that they wont be in OA. Now some People will be really disapointed

As has been stated before, DRM doesn't mean you have to pay for it. BI has given us DRM since Operation Flashpoint (Apache, Chinook, HMMV, BMP-2, etc.), Armed Assault (Warfare, Marines, South Sahrani, RACs T-72, etc.), and ArmA II (Apache, Eagle Wing).

surely you mean DLC... ;) :p

i'm well aware of the fact that BIS have always supplied additional content during their games' lifespan. i'm also well aware that DLC does not necessarily have to be paid for.

however, in the current climate the term 'DLC' pretty much equals paid content.

also, concerning BIS games, additional content has always been delivered as part of a patch/update, which makes the term 'DLC' obsolete anyway.

surely you mean DLC... ;) :p

i'm well aware of the fact that BIS have always supplied additional content during their games' lifespan. i'm also well aware that DLC does not necessarily have to be paid for.

however, in the current climate the term 'DLC' pretty much equals paid content.

also, concerning BIS games, additional content has always been delivered as part of a patch/update, which makes the term 'DLC' obsolete anyway.

Haha, good catch I wonder where that one came from. I won't rule out that it is a pay for kind of thing but even then I would trust BI to be fair about it and actually make it worth it. It hasn't always been part of a patch. In OFP you could download them individually or in a patch. More recently they probably just figured it was easier to do it in patches.

Preordered yesterday, can't WAIT!

Rapid fire question, will the new town generator module be changeable, so that you could put, for example, western style building instead of the current ones?

Also, will this game take over my life?

DLC doesn't sound good to me. that's the cancer that's destroying gaming, along with intrusive DRM, on consoles as well as the PC.

I think that saying that it is destroying gaming is going rather far, even in the case of payware DLC. That said, ArmA2:OA has a huge default selection of kit and terrain already, so it is not as if anyone absolutely needs to download extra stuff from BIS, whether or not the DLC in question is payware.

Of course, BIS's history has been for free DLC, and, as a method of marketing and keeping the game's name out there in order to maintain steady sales over months (rather than the usual one or two weeks, as with most games), free DLC does no harm, provided that the original product is not crippled. We have hitherto survived without BIS created Brits so far, so we can see their lack of inclusion in the initial release is scarcely a game breaker.

So, I do not think that we need worry overmuch. If DLC appears and is payware, we still have a complete game in our hands. If it is free, hurrah. If it does not appear at all, there will be plenty of mods for years to come. If this is PC gaming being destroyed, then I wish that more companies would work on the destruction of our hobby.

Now, a slightly different topic. The new Takistan video is excellent. My initial thoughts on what I would do when I finally received the game were to place down some Delta operators, and civvy, ambient combat, and SECOP modules, and have a sneaky look around, punctuated with a few firefights. Having seen that video, my plan has changed. I will put the civilian and animal modules down, then take an ArmA2 civvy (and his babe girlfriend) and a car, and play tourist for half and hour or so. That mosque looks beautiful, and Takistan in general looks well worth a virtual visit, without worrying about getting slotted every step of the way.

Rapid fire question, will the new town generator module be changeable, so that you could put, for example, western style building instead of the current ones?

Check out the town generator Biki page. According to that you actually can change what kind of buildings are placed. ;)

Also, will this game take over my life?

Yes, quite possibly.