Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

meh... so many "No"-es

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ask_Bohemia_about_A2OA_-_Answers

The AI part was just one big "No". Especially dissapointing is that we get all these new enterable buildings but the AI is afraid of them.

But still waiting eagerly for release, because it the best milsim we have/will get.

Yes it's a little disappointing but it can be done with a little scripting(GL4 does it very nicely), or using the seek & destroy waypoint so it isn't the end of the world.

I'm not less excited by OA now even though there's quite a few dissapointments on the Q&A list :)

meh... so many "No"-es

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ask_Bohemia_about_A2OA_-_Answers

The AI part was just one big "No". Especially dissapointing is that we get all these new enterable buildings but the AI is afraid of them.

But still waiting eagerly for release, because it the best milsim we have/will get.

seems like they didnt add much:(

Disappointing that the a.i its self will not be able to use the buildings. that was one thing i was really hoping to see improved.

but, that said i still am very much looking forward to OA.

meh... so many "No"-es

The problem with Bis constantly updating the engine for the original game is that the engine for the new expansion will not seem revolutionary.

They could have left the AI unimproved since A2 release and then they would be touting 'significant AI improvements' for OA. They would be buggy, though, because the community wouldn't have been able to test them and give feedback.

Much prefer the slow and steady evolution model we've seen.

And they shot down the Apache's gunner ability to fire laser guided Hellfires. That's one big fail for BIS.

will v1.06 be the release day patch for OA? there have been plenty of beta patches since 1.05 but no official release. and OA seems to contain pretty much all the beta patch fixes, at least that's what it sounds like.

The problem with Bis constantly updating the engine for the original game is that the engine for the new expansion will not seem revolutionary.

They could have left the AI unimproved since A2 release and then they would be touting 'significant AI improvements' for OA. They would be buggy, though, because the community wouldn't have been able to test them and give feedback.

Much prefer the slow and steady evolution model we've seen.

:yeahthat:

Absolutely.

The small but huge amounts of changes which BIS has released through their patches (sepecially betas) has vastly improved the game performance-wise, content-wise and AI-wise!:p

My question wasnt chosen I asked,

"Why doesnt BIS license the Call of Duty Engine?"

It has great physics, super awesome l337 graphics and it has an amazing viewdistance of about 2000 meters.

/sarcasm

Nice......

Disappointing that the a.i its self will not be able to use the buildings. that was one thing i was really hoping to see improved.

but, that said i still am very much looking forward to OA.

I cannot facepalm hard enough...

I'll say it again. The AI CAN and always HAVE BEEN able to use buildings in ArmA 2. Don't say they can't again, cause it's just not true.

I cannot facepalm hard enough...

I'll say it again. The AI CAN and always HAVE BEEN able to use buildings in ArmA 2. Don't say they can't again, cause it's just not true.

Read BIS comment... the a.i cannot use them by its self... so if i set a simple guard unit in a town... hes not going to enter that building... just as he does not do it on arma 2, UNLESS i place them inside...

i do not want to place squads in buildings or order them into a building... i want the a.i to be able to run and take cover inside a building when under fire. show me a video of a.i doing this because it does not happen on its own.

Edited by Cossack8559

Read BIS comment... the a.i cannot use them by its self... so if i set a simple guard unit in a town... hes going to enter that building... just as he does do it on arma 2 UNLESS i place them inside...

i do not want to place squads in buildings or order them into a building... i want the a.i to be able to run and take cover inside a building when under fire. show me a video of a.i doing this because it does not happen on its own.

dude, in OA the buildings have been specifically designed so the AI use them (more turning space etc.)

Show me a video of someone under fire and taking cover inside a building irl... Soldiers don't just walk into people's houses because they're under fire, they take cover round corners/low-lying objects.

Show me a video of someone taking fire and taking cover inside a building irl...

Is this serious? i think you need to check apache clips... there are plenty videos of soldiers using buildings as cover.

I know the buildings have more turning space... i was commenting on what BIS said...

"Will the AI use buiding interiors? Take cover in the buildings and search for enemies?

The many buildings of Zargabad

The AI itself is not able to do it; however, with smart scenario design it is possible to have AI also in buildings, or move through buildings. The AI will follow orders, entering buildings on command, or following you into buildings as part of your group."

See, i know that we can order them in or place them in a building etc... i was talking about a.i soldiers being able to use them with simple guard waypoints around the buildings.

That FAQ didn't leave a good impression on me at all. Almost every "has this thing improved?" question is answered "No change, Same as ArmA 2, NO".

I can't see how this addon will improve ArmA 2 "in every way" as it says in the FAQ.

Well thats retarded, ive got a soundcard being able to play 128 sounds simultaneously which is going to be used for nothing else then plugging my speakers in? :p

Especially since the game is already hard on our CPU's, why also calculate the sounds on them?

Oh well, didnt really expect a change in this area anyway. :(

another who failed to read, it says the default changed to 32

maximum is not mentioned ....

dude, in OA the buildings have been specifically designed so the AI use them (more turning space etc.)

This is true but he is correct. In the answers BIS clearly states the AI WILL NOT USE BUILDINGS normally. They can use them though, by use of special mission scripts and certain waypoints.

What he means is, making a basic scenario with some insurgents in the town, they WILL NOT use the buildings against him, as confirmed by BIS.

Question : Is the Arma2official channel on youtube managed by BIS or by IDEA ?

Idea Games, but that's like BI (who is founding key member ...)

Is this serious? i think you need to check apache clips... there are plenty videos of soldiers using buildings as cover.

I know the buildings have more turning space... i was commenting on what BIS said...

"Will the AI use buiding interiors? Take cover in the buildings and search for enemies?

The many buildings of Zargabad

The AI itself is not able to do it; however, with smart scenario design it is possible to have AI also in buildings, or move through buildings. The AI will follow orders, entering buildings on command, or following you into buildings as part of your group."

See, i know that we can order them in or place them in a building etc... i was talking about a.i soldiers being able to use them with simple guard waypoints around the buildings.

They will enter if ordered to, even if it's an AI ordering. Ie, if a player enters the building and is tracked by a AI team leader, the team leader will order one of its guy to enter the building.

They will not by themselves take defensive position inside a building, though, unless asked to guard with a waypoint indicated a specific building position

Idea Games, but that's like BI (who is founding key member ...)

Thanks Dwarden . I asked that due to the fact that some people are going crazy over that fact that the British are not in and I thought maybe the person who was replying to the comments was not up to date on the content available ingame .

Show me a video of someone under fire and taking cover inside a building irl... Soldiers don't just walk into people's houses because they're under fire, they take cover round corners/low-lying objects.

Buildings are one of the most importent factors in urban combat.

All armys in the world practice it in special training areas, the defenders have enhanced cover and are harder to spot.

Fighting in build up areas in ArmA2 is just bad...it feels bad, it looks ugly and nor real.

another who failed to read, it says the default changed to 32

maximum is not mentioned ....

My point was that its still software based, which means that increasing this value will have a significant effect on the FPS in large firefights. If this was done on hardware the impact would have been 0.

So my soundcard being able to play 128 sounds or not doesnt matter, as its not being used at all.

Buildings are one of the most importent factors in urban combat.

All armys in the world practice it in special training areas, the defenders have enhanced cover and are harder to spot.

Fighting in build up areas in ArmA2 is just bad...it feels bad, it looks ugly and nor real.

This game engine isn't simply designed for this, since OFP. That's all folks.