Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

On Youtube jozsik1337 wrote that the translation of the hungarien Part by Istvan Kiraly is "We're going to have a new sound system, the whole audio is getting reworked as it is. We're rebuilding it entirely."

:D i hope its true... :yay:

Hey BIS , are you sure you ain't making a whole new game :D ?

On Youtube jozsik1337 wrote that the translation of the hungarien Part by Istvan Kiraly is "We're going to have a new sound system, the whole audio is getting reworked as it is. We're rebuilding it entirely."

Wow, that would be great, hope it works out :yay:

Can't wait to hear that with my surround headset :D

No offense to jozsik1337, but I'd rather wait for at least 1 other person to confirm that before I go all hyped-up ;)

No offense to jozsik1337, but I'd rather wait for at least 1 other person to confirm that before I go all hyped-up ;)

I heared the hungarian guy saying "audio" at least. Hope that makes it somewhat legit.

Even though he might have said: "Naaah we aint gonna change shit regarding the audio". :D

I hope the youtube comment isnt a troll attempt. ;) :eek: :(

New audio and sound systems is what this engine needs, and better compression of the music! :D

Of course the big question is what exactly will be changed in the sound department.

The radio system could really need a change, being mentioned as a minus in most reviews

and often the first complaint to be heard on first impressions.

http://pro.bistudio.com/index.php/services/audio-recording-studio/gallery.html

http://antygry.blox.pl/2009/12/Gry-Do-Sluchania-odc-8-8211-Wywiad-z-Ondejem.html

These images seems to have popped out recently(late 2009), but its hard to say how old they are.

Maybe some kind of hint that they are taking weapon sound recording more serious now? Or is it just old photos from the Arma 2 development?

Edited by sparks50

Hope they re-work the whole radio system and communication between soldiers. Make them shout and scream something while in combat would add so much to the game's atmosphere.

A nice example of it is BiA: Hell´s Highway, your squad comunicates and pass some valuable informations while in combat.

Maybe in a dream =(

Hope they re-work the whole radio system and communication between soldiers. Make them shout and scream something while in combat would add so much to the game's atmosphere.

A nice example of it is BiA: Hell´s Highway, your squad comunicates and pass some valuable informations while in combat.

Maybe in a dream =(

Im not playing poker with you....

BAKER WAKE UP YOU'RE UNDER FIRE!

God I love that series.

Yes audio I think adds way more immersion to video games than High Polycounts and high quality textures.

Although I want both for Arma 2 :cool:

Dragon Rising has superb audio, sound effects are spot on not to realistic not to hollywood, thats the only thing i liked from the game anywho.....

Would be worth the development costs and time if BIS did invest in overhauling audio/sound systems, A large complaint in many reviews was the robotic voices, voice overs.

Yes audio I think adds way more immersion to video games than High Polycounts and high quality textures.

So true. Audio is incredibly important in immersing the player and yet so often neglected.

Ahh, now if we got realistic voices and communication between troops like in BC2, I would probably have an orgasm. :3

Ahh, now if we got realistic voices and communication between troops like in BC2, I would probably have an orgasm. :3

Agreed!

I don't think we need to worry about how bad the AI was in some of those shots. I know that when they show (some) demos, the enemy intelligence is usually set really low so they can show off what they want without getting shot down. It wouldn't look to good showing off how cool the apache is while it gets shot down while doing so. They usually don't start setting everything to difficult until its toward the end and everything is where it's supposed to be. At least thats what i've heard.

I think this is what they wanted to do with Arma 2 originally but didn't have the resources or time to do it all.

And thanks for the video, I was going crazy having it freeze up every 10 seconds. And the english.

That is abit ignorant. If a filmcrew wants to show off your product you make sure it works properly. The fact that the AI don't react on the rocket and even keep walking to it is destroying the game!

I worry about that, as the previous installments had the same issues. It seems Bohemia hasn't learned from its past mistakes yet. It is the same as in VBS2, and that sucks.

So, lets hope they fix the AI, else you have a good simulation up till the point you start firing, because the AI fail to react.

This is a very serious issue!

Am I just seeing stuff or is there some kind of "heat blur" going on during that briefing Ivan Buchta is showing?

The trees look good in the air footage.

Looking forward to more BIS stuff. :)

That is abit ignorant. If a filmcrew wants to show off your product you make sure it works properly. The fact that the AI don't react on the rocket and even keep walking to it is destroying the game!

I worry about that, as the previous installments had the same issues. It seems Bohemia hasn't learned from its past mistakes yet. It is the same as in VBS2, and that sucks.

So, lets hope they fix the AI, else you have a good simulation up till the point you start firing, because the AI fail to react.

This is a very serious issue!

I agree, well actually I think everyone agrees, BIS has at least one fatal fault in each of its design pillars.

AI are always acts like a static entity in Arma 2 for me atleast throwing grenades at them gets no reaction, rockets, tanks vehicles....

AI would be the second top priority for the expansion 1st being optimization and engine performance (tools etc).

This is probably what BIS is actually doing, but yeah this is some things i would like:

-HW & EAX again wich could bring us real time occluding effects etc.

-No sound cut-outs because "too many" sounds at the same time or disguise it better if possible.

-No more spatial problems (sounds should stick to their sources etc).

-No more speed of sound problem (should be delay in sound when weapons/impacts are far from you).

-Adding a new "far" class to sounds so we can have "near" and "far" of the same sound. With this we could have realistic sounding distant sounds instead of just software occlude them at a certain distance as we do now. Keep the occlusion (through EAX or our software one we have now) but add a new distant class. I think this would bring a lot of immersion. Soundmodders knows what im talking about i hope. ;)

There is more, but time to head out...

PS. Would love to hear some ideas from you soundmodders on the whole "new sound engine" bit. Like what you would be happy to see it contains?

"Ahh, now if we got realistic voices and communication between troops like in BC2, I would probably have an orgasm. :3"They must bring that......!

If you think about it, even the Chatter in Arma I was slightly better, since its was kinda usefull for spotting the enemy and even realistic.."9 o clock enemy MissleSoldier" - Now the Radio Chatter + the Function of it is totally broken[useless].

i prefer gettin these things fixed rather then having a working flaslight or flir in OA. Just hoping BI got it the same way..!

i prefer gettin these things fixed rather then having a working flaslight or flir in OA. Just hoping BI got it the same way..!

I certainly dont hope so personally. Id rather have new tech and enhanced gameplay than better voices. I play ofcourse without voices as they interfear too much in MP play. Better voices im all for, but not at expense of skipping named features. Dont think thats how BIS think either. My opinion ofcourse.

You have to give them a little break here, BC2 only has a few simple commands to deal with.

Arma 2 bots have a much bigger variety of things to report about.

I certainly dont hope so personally. Id rather have new tech and enhanced gameplay than better voices. I play ofcourse without voices as they interfear too much in MP play. Better voices im all for, but not at expense of skipping named features. Dont think thats how BIS think either. My opinion ofcourse.

Yea MP, so i got your point. I personally never play MP, only Missionediting for SP, doesnt make it easier for BI to set prioritys:p

But yes, i also dont think BI is doing much in that direction, i just hope it since they change the "entirly audio stuff", [please let RadioChatters be included..]

Guess we cant just let them surprise us, im sure they do their best;-)

Actually I liked very much what I saw in the latest Op. Arrowhead video, specially the FLIR, aircraft countermeasures (Flares) and the targetting system (with FLIR) from the UAV.

For now I only request the following from BIS:

- Please implement the exact SAME UAV targetting system (seen in the video) into the Apache gunner so that an Apache can autonomously lase its own Hellfire missiles like happens in real life (allowing an Apache to autonomously engage infantry or buildings with its own hellfire missiles) . Please BIS, implement this as well!

For now I only request the following from BIS:

- Please implement the exact SAME UAV targetting system (seen in the video) into the Apache gunner so that an Apache can autonomously lase its own Hellfire missiles like happens in real life (allowing an Apache to autonomously engage infantry or buildings with its own hellfire missiles) . Please BIS, implement this as well!

Sweet stuff indeed. But i thaught thats exactlly what they are saying in the video? Steer the UAV-copter from the Apache and place it somewhere hovering. Look for targets through UAV-copters optics using FLIR and then LAZE the targets with the UAV-copter. Lock on to LAZE from Apache where you control the UAV-copter from and shoot your hellfires from the Apache. Target wont know what hit him. :)

If thats what you meant.