Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

There is a big difference between properly modeled weapons, and higher polycount. a Normal and AO map baked from a high poly model vs an Normal/AO done in PS....And i am talking about the same amount of polygons while looking a lot more detailed...

While i agree some of BIS models could undergo some optimization, most of community releases don't take into account performance (or very little). If you compare the section count for instance, you will notice the difference...

I wouldn't hold my breath for updating anything that is already in A2 for AO..There is where community can do the changes...

BUT, the newly added content...well, i guess you might be in for a surprise (:p)

If this is based on Afghanistan - will there be poppy fields in some area? Then we can make some missions where armed farmers are there and we go in as SF to take em out. And maybe with the help of DMarkwick we can set the crops on fire. :D

Gotta keep it real right! :)

If this is based on Afghanistan - will there be poppy fields in some area? Then we can make some missions where armed farmers are there and we go in as SF to take em out. And maybe with the help of DMarkwick we can set the crops on fire. :D

Gotta keep it real right! :)

You can't steal a farmers poppy field... Whats wrong with you!? :)

JTD Fire and Smoke 2.0 OA better effects less hit on performance I can see it now. :yay:

I want BIS to make their weapons like Robert Hammer does with his addons.

Well sadly BIS can't port models for other engines/communitys for free (didn't want to offend your God offcourse).

I don't remember who said it, but one community modeler said that he was able to remodel the Mk19 with the same polycount but a higher level of detail, so there's no need to add polygons, just rework the weapons that are going to be in OA (Which is not going to happen anyways because it's far too much work).

Guess that was me. That counts for the M2 and some other weapons that date from the OFP area if not mistaken that have been kept re-used. I find it very sad as this is one of the elements that contribute to the reason why arma runs poor afaik. Keep in mind these weapons are mounted on many vehicles and as static weapons aswell. I'm glad you at least understand the reason why (costprice to replace) and you don't have big hopes.

Time will tell i guess...

If you take out the poppy fields you will only strengthen the enemy forces.

Now that would be realism ;)

Most of the forces there don't dare touch the stuff because you would rob a lot of people of their only occupation.

So no, actually it wouldnt be realistic to burn them down :p

Unless ofcourse the farmer behind you takes out an AK from under his 'gown' (dunno the correct word) and turns Opfor :)

Do BIS' expansions mess up existing mods at all? And is Ace2 coming out after OA?

Do BIS' expansions mess up existing mods at all? And is Ace2 coming out after OA?

For your first question, more than likely not. They should work, or will work with minimal changes. As for ACE2's release, we don't know. Only the ACE2 team knows. You're best asking them that question, rather than in here. However, I think you'll only be told that "it will be released when it's done", as no one really has deadline standards here.

Pretty much what Zipper said. I imagine once with ACE2's release, and subsequently with OA after that ACE2 may be able to run with OA with some degree of success, but the mod team involved in ACE2 will probably retune ACE2, or a seperate version of ACE2 to avoid any issues (there may be features in OA that would make ACE2 redundant in some aspects).

(there may be features in OA that would make ACE2 redundant in some aspects).

Might be even the other way around :rolleyes:

Might be even the other way around :rolleyes:

Sadly that will probably be true lol, depends how well BIS does on some of those features. I know once OA comes out, the user made FLIR and the faux FLIR for ArmA2 will be obsolete. Will have to wait and see if BIS's flashlights will have any added advantage over ACE2's and so on. It'll be interesting to see what gets trashed and what gets saved between the two.

Sadly that will probably be true lol, depends how well BIS does on some of those features. I know once OA comes out, the user made FLIR and the faux FLIR for ArmA2 will be obsolete. Will have to wait and see if BIS's flashlights will have any added advantage over ACE2's and so on. It'll be interesting to see what gets trashed and what gets saved between the two.

I think it's safe to say features like flashlights and FLIR will be better in OA, simply because BIS is able to implement them directly without scripted workarounds. I wouldn't be surprised if they left the release of ACE2 until after OA so that they can remove any redundant features and make use of new ones.

I want BIS to make their weapons like Robert Hammer does with his addons. :)

implying that roberthammer actually makes any of "his" addons.

CoolFace.jpg

Wow really? Anyway. Great work RH. I still like your weapons.

No need for this oyman I do recognize that its a group effort, I do read the credits.

Reported

I don't suppose any one of the DEV's are willing to say if we'll have some new news or info on OA before the end of November? Discussion on the expansion has kinda hit a dead end.

No need for this oyman I do recognize that its a group effort, I do read the credits.

Reported

What is there to report? Just because he pointed out that RH did actually not a lot/nothing apart from converting the models from another game?

There is a big difference between CREATING or CONVERTING content...

Also i am really looking forward to Operation Arrowhead. Especially the new content seems to look pretty good.

/edit: oops should have looked at the date of the posts...

Nah its ok. Lets create some activity in here - then maybe BIS throws us a OA bone. :D

I think it's safe to say features like flashlights and FLIR will be better in OA, simply because BIS is able to implement them directly without scripted workarounds. I wouldn't be surprised if they left the release of ACE2 until after OA so that they can remove any redundant features and make use of new ones.

Geez, I hope not, I don't have the money to buy new games any time soon and I am really looking forward to ACE 2. Hopefully they will release versions compatible with both.

I thnik it would be lodigcal what MadDog is saying about release and ACE, as for thoughts on OA itself well here's my vantage point :) , Really happy about the apache, finally we got one! To be set in central Asia, Takistan, which i imagine from the name & geographical location and of course from the two screenies would meen some dessert gear and map, hopefully, really looking forward to it. Along with the new units as well, definatly something to look forward to. :)

I haven't seen anyone mention this, but we already know exactly where Takistan will be. BIS seem to have been planning this since before Arma 2.

Screenshot2009-11-07at62829PM.png?t=1257647385

It's right next to the part of Chernarus we don't get to play and it also borders...Russia :eek:

Sweet find matey, looks like bis have got more up their sleve than some may have anticpated, the terrian should be interesting as well.

I'm still trying to figure out who the main Opfor is. Will it be Russians again (as mentioned above if the area if speculation is correct, borders Russia)? Judging from the pictures we will be dealing with some kind of rebel faction ala Taliban and such, but who will be the main big threat (in terms of armor and airpower). Blufor judging from the screens will be US Army, UN, Czech, and possibly a local force again (just guessing since we had a local blufor faction in Chernarus).

Edited by Steakslim

Possibly it may be Blufor face an insurgent type thing, and no opfor?

From what i think BIS said (OA video? dont remember) the enemy will be both badly equipped nutty insurgents to more well trained and well equipped forces. What that means im not sure. Like mujahedin style maybe? Some forces with better variation of weapons and better training then the small clique terrorists.

Not sure though.

I don't have the money to buy new games any time soon

However OA is not here for months. ;) I hope as well that ACE2 hits us before OA. Please ACE team. :o :pray:

Edited by Alex72