Sign in to follow this  
max power

WIP: Stuff you are working on 2!

...where it may end up being 'sufficent' in all, excellent in none...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the case for ACU in RL anyway? :rolleyes:

I do understand a lot of tuning has to be done, however, judging by the texture he used it looks like the one I posted, but without being converted from CMYK to RGB. That's what the texture i posted looks like if you don't convert.

the texture seems too white because of this..

It was a rvmat tuning issue and it was remedied.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that the case for ACU in RL anyway? :rolleyes:

If this is the widely accepted definition of sufficiency :p

acu1s3pm.jpg

yep it is common in the middle east you will find couches with ACU camo on them. I've heard many stories of soldiers hiding on them to ambush the enemy

Wasnt debating UCP's effectiveness in the real world, I was talking about representing any camouflage ingame.

Wasnt debating UCP's effectiveness in the real world, I was talking about representing any camouflage ingame.

As the community's best texture artist (sabre not me)...it is probably wise to listen to him on these points. However i do feel like the UCP debate has been going on sooo long in this thread that it probably deserves a topic of its own right? Anyway i really hope bink keeps up his excellent work and that these units will see the light of day.

ive fixed the problem. it was all in the rvmat. by the way.

As the community's best texture artist (sabre not me)...it is probably wise to listen to him on these points. However i do feel like the UCP debate has been going on sooo long in this thread that it probably deserves a topic of its own right? Anyway i really hope bink keeps up his excellent work and that these units will see the light of day.

Haha I hardly am mate, I'm just another one. Yeah I think if the great UCP debate is going to continue it should probably go to off topic or something, I think it's been done to death on just about every forum on the internet though :D.

@Bink- Good to hear mate. Look forward to seeing it.

Looks pretty nice! I think that the fabric map on the seat is quite a bit out of scale, though. Nice work, all in all.

Awesome work alesh.

No digital cammo will work ingame.

They are ment to work IRL because of scrambled structure that is supposed to "cheat" your eyes at distance.

In any game the mipmap at distance will be blurred and so the rough edges of the patter will be lost and you end up with muggy urban-ish cammo.

I will also note, as an intresting story, that I have slight daltonism and I can see ACU cammo in forrest just fine, probably because the colors blend together for me at range instead of cheating my brain. :bounce3:

To me they just appear as plain greyish at distance.

No digital cammo will work ingame.

They are ment to work IRL because of scrambled structure that is supposed to "cheat" your eyes at distance.

In any game the mipmap at distance will be blurred and so the rough edges of the patter will be lost and you end up with muggy urban-ish cammo.

I will also note, as an intresting story, that I have slight daltonism and I can see ACU cammo in forrest just fine, probably because the colors blend together for me at range instead of cheating my brain. :bounce3:

To me they just appear as plain greyish at distance.

Yeah fair points but I wasn't talking about how or if they 'work', I was talking about how they look, in terms of whether the brightness, tone or saturation or whatever looks like it does when you see IRL, because of all the 'it's too bright' etc. etc with Bink's stuff.

..and All I was saying is that sometimes, in my experience, it had to look abit off, darker/less saturated etc. in PS to look closer ingame.

..and All I was saying is that sometimes, in my experience, it had to look abit off, darker/less saturated etc. in PS to look closer ingame.

True. Unless there is a way to see it applied in real time to different light conditions and angles, there is no way you can be sure that your 2d work in PS is going to be spot on in-game. Try my "corrected" ACU jpg out, for example. While a little closer to the real thing in terms of saturation and hue..you'll be amazed at the way it looks in-game.

Trial and error, the more you learn the less you try but you still have to try A LOT in this business. Nothing is better than a close, real look to the final result (= bye bye social life :))

Awesome alesh

Those shots are teasing me hard

eww... nasty dont touch it, might bite. Tried turning this

size0-army.mil-50484-2009-09-14-100948.jpg

Into this

Xm153_1.jpg

Xm153_2.jpg

Xm153_3.jpg

An then I was all like Gawhdamn I need to learn how to texture.

Branch Parachute Assault Group VDV.

SARMAT Studio - wip

d815509a1f5at.jpg

1a19aef93721t.jpg

a84c72ae961dt.jpg