Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment Mod 2

Shit I was wondering if I was just nuts and making that up or if it really existed. I swear I remember that in v1.00 German version or one of those early ones. Pulling the binocs away from the face to look around while the binocs remain in hand was a feature I sear I remembered.

Will this make it into ACE2? Anyone know?

In the initial release the G36 weapons that had 3x sights also had a red dot on top. It was attached to your firing mode though. Semi auto had the 3x, while full auto had the red dot. I can't remember what the 3 round burst had.

Just one question for the ACE team chaps.

Will penetration be included again and to what extent will it work?

It makes a huge difference in terms of evening the odds against olympic standard marksman AI for us co-op teams and while I understand that arma2 no longer features adamantium picket fences and signposts I really miss the ability of BMG rounds in ACE1 to perforate anyone lurking behind a concrete wall.

There is already penetration within the Arma2 engine

Read my post again. HMG fire will not penetrate objects that the ArmA2 engine deems to be solid like brick walls.

Read my post again. HMG fire will not penetrate objects that the ArmA2 engine deems to be solid like brick walls.

Actually it will. I tested it right now...

.50 cals probably don't penetrate as well as they should, but if you try something bigger like the 30mm on the BMP3 it penetrates just about any wall.

Not to be facetious or anything, but you have just tried to contradict my point by confirming it.

12.7mm rounds won't penetrate objects that they would in real life. 30mm on a BMP is classified as a cannon.

It is a major realism factor for Heavy machine guns to be effective against buildings. This is my point.

The nuke comment earlier about 'radiation' effect gives me a great mission idea (no, nothing to do with Fallout 3). There are those of you who will reply "Another mission idea? Custom scripts? Write it yourself you mooch and stop begging the community." Consider the comment heard.

If the ACE team created some other sort of damage script for radiation, something that leaves civilians/characters in the blast radius with varying levels of radiation poisoning, this might work:

Humanitarian mission-disarm the bomb.

Devise some clever plotline to get a dirty bomb defused/controlled before opfor sets it off.

1st half of the mission is getting to the bomb.

2nd half:

If bomb contained...then localized radiation from the poor construction must be identified and quarantined (such as the assembly room for the bomb, or anywhere else it sat for some time, such as an opfor transport vehicle). Incorporate whatever tools a character would need, including military rad suits and a geiger counter and fences/flags/tape/map markers. As one team sweeps for radiation AND survivors/dead with radiation poisoning, a second humanitarian team responds to the survivors and dead by consolidating bodies and treating injured and poisoned.

The humanitarian part of the mission could begin as soon as radiation is detected. This adds the unique challenge to this capture-the-objective mission, to examine, treat, and evacuate civis to some staging area while looking for the bomb.

If bomb NOT contained...easy to imagine the initial outcome. As the dust is settling, start again the humanitarian mission in earnest, but radiation levels are higher, casualties are obviously massive, and the job becomes a catch-the-criminal for one team and a quarantine-the-city and mop-up for the other team.

Mission ends when leader caught/killed, AND bomb contained/detonated AND remaining opfor flushed from the city AND city/radiation detected/contained (how to complete?) AND lastly, civilian triage operable.

The part that makes this mission idea unique to FPS is the direct civilian aid/interaction element. Domination game mode must have some useful scripts fo the prisoner/downed pilot side missions (interating with civis)

Lots of room for civi-intel similar to the SP mission (the more you help, the more intel you receive) and a different element for those drawn to the complexity of simulators over twitch.

Yes, I'd make it if I could, but I am idea-rich and skill-poor at programming, like most people.

Edit: Comment moved to http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1438206#post1438206

Edited by Ebden
Thread appropriateness

The nuke comment earlier about 'radiation' effect gives me a great mission idea (no, nothing to do with Fallout 3). There are those of you who will reply "Another mission idea? Custom scripts? Write it yourself you mooch and stop begging the community." Consider the comment heard.

If the ACE team created some other sort of damage script for radiation, something that leaves civilians/characters in the blast radius with varying levels of radiation poisoning, this might work:

Humanitarian mission-disarm the bomb.

Devise some clever plotline to get a dirty bomb defused/controlled before opfor sets it off.

1st half of the mission is getting to the bomb.

2nd half:

If bomb contained...then localized radiation from the poor construction must be identified and quarantined (such as the assembly room for the bomb, or anywhere else it sat for some time, such as an opfor transport vehicle). Incorporate whatever tools a character would need, including military rad suits and a geiger counter and fences/flags/tape/map markers. As one team sweeps for radiation AND survivors/dead with radiation poisoning, a second humanitarian team responds to the survivors and dead by consolidating bodies and treating injured and poisoned.

The humanitarian part of the mission could begin as soon as radiation is detected. This adds the unique challenge to this capture-the-objective mission, to examine, treat, and evacuate civis to some staging area while looking for the bomb.

If bomb NOT contained...easy to imagine the initial outcome. As the dust is settling, start again the humanitarian mission in earnest, but radiation levels are higher, casualties are obviously massive, and the job becomes a catch-the-criminal for one team and a quarantine-the-city and mop-up for the other team.

Mission ends when leader caught/killed, AND bomb contained/detonated AND remaining opfor flushed from the city AND city/radiation detected/contained (how to complete?) AND lastly, civilian triage operable.

The part that makes this mission idea unique to FPS is the direct civilian aid/interaction element. Domination game mode must have some useful scripts fo the prisoner/downed pilot side missions (interating with civis)

Lots of room for civi-intel similar to the SP mission (the more you help, the more intel you receive) and a different element for those drawn to the complexity of simulators over twitch.

Yes, I'd make it if I could, but I am idea-rich and skill-poor at programming, like most people.

Nice idea!

Are all projectiles from all weapons gonna be affected by the wind system now, or only certain sniper rifles?

Reason I ask is because in my mission template I already set random wind speed and direction, but right now that's only for visual reasons of course.

Words can't describe how epic is ACE 2 going to be. :inlove:

Genius work people, hats off. This has to be released soon or I'll go crazy.

About the Nuke...

After he hits something, the area near it will have a "Radiation Effect" making impossible to go inside?

With those masks, would be nice to have Anti Radiation Clothes and use then with masks on a mission inside a contaminade enviroment.

That would be awesome, running around barely able to see and trying not to get a gash in your suit. Lol we could make the most accurate invasion of Iraq mission.

Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!!!!

I personally don't see that much of a point to having nukes, but oh well... Still i love ACE mod, really looking forward to ACE 2.

Keep up the good work guys!

Are u sure "CQB mode" is just the CQB sight? It really looks in the pick that the other guy is standing in a position never seen or heard of in arma... Or I'm I just imagining this?? :D

The nuke seem to be a real beauty as well, although personally I dunno if I'll use it.

Thank you! I'm quite pleased how the B-61 bombs came out. It's not a port. Graphics, enhanced damage, etc are completely different. It already has very good FPS numbers, striving to make it better still.

Can't count the number of test missions I've flown with these and still get a kick out of watching them go off. Being tactical weapons ( 0.3 - 5.0 kiloton ) you can find them very useful once you master the various delivery modes.

Mission makers should note that they will have the tools to ensure these don't upset game balance.

Are u sure "CQB mode" is just the CQB sight? It really looks in the pick that the other guy is standing in a position never seen or heard of in arma... Or I'm I just imagining this?? :D

You mean like the guy next to the door on this? :) Its a scripted anim just for the pic.

So when will the first update be out??? just had to be the first asking :D

Glad you ask! :)

ACE2 will feature a state of the art Installer and Updater system, built upon proven technologies from the linux/posix world; Git for the Developers side, and Rsync for the Testers and Users side.

Furthermore, the whole process of developing on the mod, and building it's components into usable addons, to be distributed to the users, has been completely streamlined and automated.

This will enable us to quickly react on problems or user feedback, with zero-effort or time wasted on repetitive tasks like building source into user addons, releasing and distributing it.

Our testers are already enjoying the system, with daily updates, with basically zero effort to setup, use or stay up2date with the Mod and all of it's components.

We are currently testing the scaling of the software and have already seen great results, while having made already great progression in both the distribution efficiency and the usability by the users.

The software will be available, open source at dev-heaven.net, once sufficiently progressed and tested.

When it will be ready for production is hard to say, but all of us are working very hard on both the Mod, and the Installer/Updater system, to bring users the ultimate experience, both ingame, and the maintenance outside.

Edited by Sickboy

Sounds like a real system you've worked up there :) well done. Looking forward to the whole schebang when it's released :)

You mean like the guy next to the door on this? :) Its a scripted anim just for the pic.

Damn :P Really got my hopes up there for a moment... well, maybe some day :)

The software will be available, open source at dev-heaven.net, once sufficiently progressed and tested.

Just a question.

Will the updating software also be available for windows-platforms (serverside) ?

Greetingz, Monk.

Thanks DM :)

Just a question.

Will the updating software also be available for windows-platforms (serverside) ?

Greetingz, Monk.

The suite is primarily designed for Windows, so that will be no problem.

I am using the Ruby programming language, which makes it very easy to use the software on linux aswell, I hope to support both at or just after release.

That updating system sounds fantastic!

Actually, sounds fantastic enough to be an official BIS Updating tool. Maybe one day.. :D

Ok we've seen wind deflection will be present in ACE2. Some of guys state that this is an old story - that wind is simulated from OFP on since 2001. Can someone from A2 team or others clear that up? I didn't notice any deflection in A1 nor in OFP. So whats up with that?

Ok we've seen wind deflection will be present in ACE2. Some of guys state that this is an old story - that wind is simulated from OFP on since 2001. Can someone from A2 team or others clear that up? I didn't notice any deflection in A1 nor in OFP. So whats up with that?

There is no wind-induced bullet drift simulation in OFP/A/A2, regardless of what 'some of guys' might state :)