Sign in to follow this  
funnyguy1

ARMA 2 DE 1.01 (final) Impressions - Post ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

In the mean time as the Forums went Down i uploaded some new Vids to YT (i'll leave out the bug videos here, they are intendant for the bug-tracker anyway - if interested they are in my YT Profile):

I like Utes very much, not only because the game runs 2.5x as fast as with Chernarus lol, but also because of the Rocky landscape...

Lol the Server-Time is/was screwed and my Post appearing before others...... Sorry for Duplicate Post then!

Time for me to post my impression :)

Well since theres way too much to talk about im only just say the main points, Firstly the improved AI is Fantastic, they are much more of a challenge and are very fun to play alongwith and against. The second major improvement is the qaulity of the islands/units/weapons etc, these are extremly impressive and defenitly make this game such a lovely thing to look at, The third thing is also the greatness of the campign, despite this being a minor importance to me this is a great campign, wonderfully made and great cutscenes.

The only bad points is simply the 1-2 minor bugs such as the AI being able to walk though the front parts of hummers etc but again this is extremly minor to me and will get fixed in a patch anyway

Overall = Absolutly fantastic work BIS, this has gone beyond alot of people's expectations, including mine and to get something of this quality is like a abolsute gift and a treat :D Again great work BIS youve done an amazing job, well done :)

Overall = Absolutly fantastic work BIS, this has gone beyond alot of people's expectations, including mine and to get something of this quality is like a abolsute gift and a treat Again great work BIS youve done an amazing job, well done

What are you talking about? The game is pulled to pieces in all reviews I read so far. Here's a video, you don't need to understand German to see the point...

http://www.pcgames.de/aid,685486/ArmA-2-PC-Games-testet-die-Militaer-Simulation-mit-Videobeweis-und-Interviews-Update/PC/News/

I'm shocked!

How about some AI moving in and out of a house, fighting from house?

Unfortunately that is not something that they are very good at. They will go into a house if you would order them to go to a specific position, but that's about it.

Peace,

DreDay

So the AI actully got much improved by this beta patch? Its a shame they rushed it then. Cant wait to see the results of the final patch now.

su25_crashlanding.jpg

Survived the crashlanding, plane fell down like a rock, hit a tree and I got out without a broken finger :)

lol_smoke.jpg

I've managed to take out 1/4 of building by hitting it with a little smoke grenade, using v1.01b :)

Edited by IceBreakr

Could you perhaps film a sequence where two squads face each other in some vegetation? Film it with camera.sqs or something?

Pretty please?

German Version

Intel Quad Core Q9450 2.66 GHz

EVGA NVIDIA 295

8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Ram

Vista Ultimate 64bit

1920 by 1200 Resolution

Immersion Factor: Overall the immersion factor is excellent. The Campaign is well done, and feels more like your are involved in a real campaign / mission. Also the town buildings and layouts, are much better than Arma, and do convey a real feeling of being in a Eastern Europe / Russian Town / City.

Graphics:

For the most part pretty good. However the HDR is not perfect, and get shinny buildings and cars. Plus there are times when the bluring is just annoying. Would like to see the ability to turn of the post process effects, and hope the HDR is fixed in future releases.

The AI: Mixed feelings here. When playing Civil War CTI, the Enemey Ai in town were great when in vehicles, but lifeless in fixed positions. If we can get all the Ai to be as agressive as the Ai were in the Trucks with DSHK / PK's, that would make for some real fun. I hope with a later patch, the Ai can be fixed, and become agressive, realistic Ai. (Right now it is so close)

Performance: In this department the game was great. Both in Graphics and even MP. I think MP plays much smoother now, even with people with high pings. I used medium settings for graphics, and have had not issues, besides the HDR problem.

Playability: The game is playable, but did feel like it is still in late beta stage. I would have to assume it is going to take two or three patches before all is perfected / polish

This is a great game, with a great amount of flexibility. With good support this game, should end up being the best at what it was made to do.

I look forward to the user missions that will come out, especially wants it gets released in UK / US.

The squad level AI is fun in this game. Sometimes even big time. They respond much quicker, needle thru village obstacles far better, and are tough to fight -at least in smaller sized missions. I dabbled a little in the Warfare mission and have to say the AI didn't seem as bright or quick and their driving was atrocious. There are definitely bugs in this game that need addressing but this game has the foundation of really something great and I'm both thrilled to own it an proud of BIS. I lost interest in Arma some time ago and had a hard time getting excited for patches/mods/addons because nothing seemed to reintroduce the fun factor. That being said, the fun factor is here big time for Arma2 and the thought of new addons/mods/missions are going to feel like a real treat.

Well done BIS!

man, have i been having fun with arma2.

it looks really good - a bit blurry at times maybe and i have a hard time picking out enemies but looking for their movement helps. i'd much rather have enemies able to blend in to their surroundings (makes como worthwhile) than the standing out like the balls of a dog of arma when you could easily spot a unit on the landscape.

the AI suppresses me (keep firing a bit even though i take cover behind old tank body) . AI is good though i have a hard time getting my guys to stay with me moving as a squad - they tend to linger. my squad takes cover a lot, and keep calling out that they are covering. good. medics and other teammates do give each other first aid.

the sounds are awesome. moving is good too - dig the blur when turning the head (try it in real life and see if everything stays crystal clear) and the disorientation while rolling is sweet.

brilliant work BIS! if this is the beginning then arma2 is going to achieve well!

if only i could understand German i'd be able to play this even better (am getting killed a lot in arma2 which is good but i am not sure of the mission always due to translation problems.)

Id just like to say single player is great but with the same settings on multiplayer its nearly unplayable.

How about some AI moving in and out of a house, fighting from house?

Well I haven't even tried the campaign but in the SP missions I haven't seen many enterable houses. I'm curious about this as well so if anyone knows any missions that contain them in abdundance please let me know.

Post deleted.

Edited by Laqueesha

I love it! I been playing random missions, and the AI have been really fun.

When i first got ingame the first thing i noticed was how much smoother and faster it is to look left and right. It feels a lot less clumbsy unlike ArmA 1. Over all it just feels like you can manouver a lot better.

The graphics are just stunning, i was just in awe when i was fighting in this woodland area and just how photo realistic it got.

Here's a little video I put together to show the Artillery Game Logic:

Personaly I'm loving ArmA II, it's a true successor to Operation Flashpoint, even if it was released early. :D

Amazing game.. One sleepless weekend on the PC, Not said that for a good while. :)

A few vids I made..

A locals view of a large battle for this northern summit

P.s. if your vids are HD.. enter &fmt=22 to link directly to the HD version

I made a small video showing the artillery system:

My favourite so far is the improved AI. They cover each other, lean around corners and you can even talk with them.:cool:

That's a neat little video! :) Keep em coming!

If there is anyone out there that has it and a Phenom, could you please tell how good does it run? Does it utilize the 4 cores effectively?

obviously the effects models etc are much improved in ArmA 2 and with 200% fillrate the game looks mind blowing! - but performance wise this game is 'barely' playable (smooth) with the fillrate at 100% - at his specs - anything under 100 and this the game looks muddy/unfocused and I can't make out my enemies -though performance is increased substantially - :( - though importantly if this was fixed, gameplay wise it would be better as things would be much clearer. When running for a while things get a little blurrier which I guess is realistic though emphasizes the problem ..

The pixel doubling/fillrate slider if below 100% makes the game not look very good imo not clear/ low res even at high resolution I guess technically (pixel doubling) - it is doing this literally.

Can anyone at BIS say the performance is being worked on if only in second place to other issues? As there are issues more important Ai etc

There are gameplay issues linked to performance though as stated (blurriness) etc

Edited by _Cappa

Played some 3 player coop campaign today: awesome! We played the first couple of missions for about 1,5 hours total, didn't encounter any bugs :). I've heard the major problems start later, so we're kinda taking our time, waiting for the next full patch. Going through those missions is even more fun than I had anticipated. The campaign is very immersive.

Also, I'm still tweaking my gfx settings and making interesting discoveries:

- Shadows and textures on "very high" gives me a major performance boost over "high" :eek:. More visual quality = better performance? Not that I'm complaining, but... wtf?

- Set landscape detail and models to low for best performance. The visual penalty is quite tolerable and it boosts FPS enourmously, especially around towns.

- Anisotrophic Filtering can be set to Very High with near zero performance loss on fast gfx cards. (tested with GTX285 and HD4870)

- If you're playing on high resolutions, leave that fillrate optimizer on 100%.

Here are my current settings:

Resolution: 1920x1080

View Distance: 2500m

Fillrate Optimizer: 100%

Textures: Very High

Video Memory: Default

Aniso-Filtering: Very High

Landscape Details: Low

Model Details: Low

Shadows: Very High

Postprocessing: Low

With these settings I get 45-50fps in large forests and around 30fps in Chernogorsk (the largest city). In open areas I've seen the framerate go as high as 100fps and the game still looks beautiful. :)

Edited by MadDogX

thx 4 the tips will tell my friend to try those settings :)