Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

TrackIR 5 ArmA2 Thread!

It´s laughable every single game Mag where you get infos about ArmA2 is riddled with ads. Some Mags like the german gamestar even wants you to pay for some preview videos:annoy: So whats the big deal to put an ad inside a video? The decision to buy it or not is up to you and beside that you get a nice preview video of ArmA2.

I'm pretty much sold on the TIR5, but i'll wait to see how ArmA 2 runs on my rig before making a purchase.

Will the $20 discount still be available after A2 is released.

Hi all

I hear whining of the same type that I hear when people put down BIS.

It has been a steady drumbeat for some time, almost as if... but no that is a waste of effort, though I am happy I managed to goose out a couple of hiding CM employees in the offtopic thread as examples.

Anyway Natural Point can advertise same as any other company. As to advertising on BIS's forums they work with BIS and have added their product to the richness of ArmA so they get special dispensation.

It is a product that many if not most ArmA players use, so I, for one, want to talk about its use with ArmA and yes praise it. It also generates interest in ArmA and yes I want to advertise ArmA too! Oh dirty little me.

Anyone who uses it knows it as great a product, as radical an improvement as the mouse was back in the early 1980's. We are not ludites here. We embrace technology. I would also like to see Z-Board advertised/promoted/information on and if Lasershot (the company Dslyecxi works for) made a civilian product I would like to see that advertised here too.

Why? Because anything that increases immersion in ArmA benefits me.

I am a member of the community and this is important to me.

If it is not important to you don't read the thread. ;)

Kind regards walker

Edited by walker

If Natural Point decide to slightly decrease its price, like many people around, I won't hesitate to get one.

But atm it's still unfortunately too expensive for my budget.

Concerning the issue with the advertising, well, I see nothing wrong with it as long as the product deserves such amount of efforts, heh.

Regards,

TB

...and if Lasershot (the company Dslyecxi works for) made a civilian product I would like to see that advertised here too.
Can you imagine how much fun that would be!

Maybe coupled up with next generation VR goggles...

In many ways the TrackIr is analogous to joysticks and racing wheels, for which even the most casual sim players are ready to pay $150-200->

However, at the moment TrackIr has one significant drawback compared to the aforementioned control devices - there are a lot of games that don't support it. This is a factor that makes TrackIr appear more expensive than it really is.

Hell, the author of the video just gets a few bucks IF you go via his links to buy that product with HIS promotional code, its the internet thats viral marketing... whatever...

No need to buy it from there, if you buy from somewhere else i doubt he will see a single cent from Naturalpoints sales other than the ones through his link?!

Still you can buy the earlier version of TrackIR for less or go the DIY route via FreeTrack and others, if you dont want to pay the price for the new stuff (hell i go for a new CPU first anyway ;) )...

And if its against forum rules... thats up to the moderators ... or? On my clan forum (if i had/was in one) i would surely have trouble with others advertising on my forums for free... i would like to get a share/fee from them for sure, but since here its a BI Forum it seems ok to them.

Also i am sharp enough to know if someone tries to sell anything to me, so what gives if they succed or not? It is my decision afterwards afterall..

Edited by PhilippRauch

sometimes i wonder why are people so negative ...

i mean ...

instead of being happy they got 'nice' HD footage from ArmA 2(out of PR cycle) ...

instead of being satisfied by information that ArmA 2 supports professional head tracking solution from NaturalPoint including latest TrackIR 5

yet they keep complaining ...

but about what ? noone forced them to watch this or buy anything :)

now about alternatives (take in mind they just hobby and DIY solutions):

seeing the TrackIR support one would assume opensource FreeTrack will work too ...

now there is also free CamSpace which can simulate many control devices but not sure about TrackIR ...

so only complain/question i can understood is when someone ask for full direct support of these two ingame ....

but i'm not sure if i ever saw correctly set request for it (except myself)...

what stops You or developers of FreeTrack/CamSpace to get in touch with BI staff and get it done? :)

personal opionion:

i must admit Dsly done very good job with the presentation and i really like way he does these videos ...

sometimes i wonder why are people so negative ...

Because they have nothing better to do and they carry all the boredom and negativity of their lives into the forums. Finding something to complain about is the easiest thing one can do about anything.

Eve: Here Adam, take a bite off this apple.

Adam: No, you have already bitten it. Gross. Plus, I prefer green ones. Have you seen yourself on the pond lately? You should lay off the fruits for a bit. And that hair of yours, do you have to let it grow so long? Damn, this place. Its so freaking boring. We just lay all day and eat and screw and eat and screw. I wish I had something more to do...

Master D. makes masterpieces of the simplest presentation videos and I for one always look forward to anything he crates. He is creative, professional and he is just plain damn smooth: any PR guy would love to have his talents.

I echo though the sentiments of another fellow forum goer about seeing a larger version of that first teaser video. The music of NiN fits the mood perfectly and even the blurring effect goes together well. So, how about it Master D. ?

Its an advertising/promo Arma2 + TrackIR 5 video. Many people may see it as "typical US praising" where others can live with it or switch the sound off. ;)

As long as Track IR isnt required to play and enjoy Arma2 - all should be happy.

Some people might say Track IR users are some kind of "cheaters" if they play together with or against non Track IR users...

There was a unrealistic / gamey scene: units were running and the player is able to turn his head (slow+permanent) more than 90° to each side. In real world everbody would be afraid to fall down or to tumble down - somehow. Would be nice if player were only able to do a "fast look" or to face the consequences. :D

In many ways the TrackIr is analogous to joysticks and racing wheels, for which even the most casual sim players are ready to pay $150-200->

However, at the moment TrackIr has one significant drawback compared to the aforementioned control devices - there are a lot of games that don't support it. This is a factor that makes TrackIr appear more expensive than it really is.

NaturalPoint, surely would work in more games, if the game itself had the requirements of head movements.

I remember when Crysis was released, we all asked NaturalPoint why no TrackIR? Vincent was told something like "His company wasn't big enough" from Crytek. Which after purchasing Crysis, I seen the true reason....no free head movement!

Having used the TIR4 with the clip for so long I find myself trying to turn my head in games that don't support it, and it actually makes the games feel more "gamey" and rigid.

Regarding the two people who think that the video is a horribly deceptive, dishonest, mean-spirited, etc thing to create - I'm sorry that you feel that way, but it's not hard to look at the reaction on this forum, on other forums, the private messages and e-mails I've received, etc, and see that you are in the minority and have misinterpreted the intent of the video in an "interesting" way. I don't really have anything to say to you two that hasn't been covered by others in this topic. I am enthusiastic about TrackIR, I have been since I got it, and I am a big fan of BIS and what they do. I convey both of those through my actions, and this video is just another in a series of actions I have undertaken to share that enthusiasm. If you don't like it - don't watch the video. Simple as that. I won't lose any sleep over it. :)

Will the $20 discount still be available after A2 is released.

If past history is any indication, yes, certainly.

I echo though the sentiments of another fellow forum goer about seeing a larger version of that first teaser video. The music of NiN fits the mood perfectly and even the blurring effect goes together well. So, how about it Master D. ?

I would like to, but, again... working on something bigger and more valuable than 'just' a video. ;)

I find the rewards for using it as infantry don't outweigh the inconvenience of having to sit with my head absolutely still and run a configuration tool each time before I start the game or after each time I go to the toilet etc.

With flight sims it gets my vote, but with infantry?

I never bother.

I like when I do, it's just that I usually don't if you see what I mean.

I'd like to see the magnetic technology get more precise, I much prefer the freedom of headtracking in my VR goggles.

Edited by Baff1

I find the rewards for using it as infantry don't outweigh the inconvenience of having to sit with my head absolutely still and run a configuration tool each time before I start the game or after each time I go to the toilet etc

What version have you used?

With a 3 + Vector, 4, or 5, you simply hit a key to recenter it in the event that you do something (ie: leave your computer, shift your chair dramatically, etc) that causes it to be a little 'off'. There's no "running a configuration tool" required. As to sitting with your head absolutely still - if you have a decent profile with some kind of low-sensitivity 'deadzone', that shouldn't be an issue, either.

I have to say that your video was very impressive. The ArmA footage in high resolution was spectacular. Of course this doesn't say anything about the actual gameplay but the scenery is absoutely amazing.

I'd like to ask a question about TrackIR, f I may: You advertize the improved situational awareness very well but in your video you never aim through iron sights or scope. Do you have to disable TIR when you bring up the sights? Or, if you don't - how do you align the rifle so that you can aim properly?

Dslyecxi: would you say that the improvements from 4 to 5 is worth upgrading for? How noticeable are the improvements in actual game play?

...working on something bigger and more valuable than 'just' a video. ;)

You want us to guess? :D A second edition of the tactics manual? No doubt you can't confirm anything now but that's my first thought.

I'd like to ask a question about TrackIR, f I may: You advertize the improved situational awareness very well but in your video you never aim through iron sights or scope. Do you have to disable TIR when you bring up the sights? Or, if you don't - how do you align the rifle so that you can aim properly?

The video ran a bit long, so I didn't include the first-person combat stuff I had been planning to have originally. I would like to do another one in the future that shows off more "gameplay" stuff like that, potentially even with an MP-slant to it. We'll see what develops. Lots of stuff I'd like to do, but there's only one of me, and he keeps telling me that he's very busy and why do I keep asking him to do more when he's already full-out on so much. ;)

To answer the question, it behaves the same as in A1. You don't have to disable it to bring up sights. Your sights will point wherever you were pointing when not in ironsighted mode. For me, I simply press ironsights and (if my sights are in my POV) I aim via that, even if my sights aren't "centered" on my screen (the sights themselves will still be aligned regardless). If my sights are outside of my POV (ie if I was looking left and toggled sights up), I would simply return my head to center and then aim. It's a very fast learned response.

Dslyecxi: would you say that the improvements from 4 to 5 is worth upgrading for? How noticeable are the improvements in actual game play?

For me, yes, it was worth it. I wouldn't go back to 4. This is not to say that 4 is bad - it isn't - but for my particular usage, the increased resolution of 5 is beneficial. It's hard for me to say whether it would benefit any given user, given that I don't know how you all use TIR yourselves. I would guess (guess!) that it is probably even more significant the further away you are from your monitor (well - your TrackIR, but most people seem to place it on their monitor). The further away you are, the more the increased resolution matters.

You want us to guess? A second edition of the tactics manual? No doubt you can't confirm anything now but that's my first thought.

;)

You want us to guess? :D A second edition of the tactics manual? No doubt you can't confirm anything now but that's my first thought.

I hope not. I've ordered it last week. :hmmm:

I should have tought that could happen with the release of ARMA II.....

Edited by Von_Paulus

The marine at the start looking amazing with all that detail apart from the fact he looks like he came out of a morgue.

The clue as to what the 'mystery project' Dslyecxi is working on, is bound up in his first comment on the matter I would suggest....'more than just a video'.....hhmm what could be more than just a video....by jiminy jingo chaps, he's making a full pre-release TV/Film trailer!!!

Tell me I'm right :D

Dslyecxi: Thanks for your explanation.

I think that your video is the perfect advertisement for a bundle of Ama2 and TIR5. Is there any plan for that? I'd rather buy an Arma2 and TIR5 bundle than a collector' editon of the game with dog tags and a t-shirt.

Dslyecxi: Thanks for your explanation.

I think that your video is the perfect advertisement for a bundle of Ama2 and TIR5. Is there any plan for that? I'd rather buy an Arma2 and TIR5 bundle than a collector' editon of the game with dog tags and a t-shirt.

Yeah, that's will be cool.. But I also prefer Dslyecxi Arma2 tactical guide (If he makes one ;)) included with Arma2 CE or sth. That would be also cool :whistle:

Is TrackIR 5 still accurate without the use of a TrackClip, TrackHat, TrackVisor, whatever?