Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

TrackIR 5 ArmA2 Thread!

Vid looked nice but the comments about the improved movement model is what has really got me interested in A2 again. Fingers crossed!

Damn, I gotta get a job now so I can afford this! :crazy_o:

Very nice Video and some new Arma2 details finally. *thumbs up*

However i have to admit that that whole video appears to me like some sort of pure advertising show for Track-IR.

Every second sentence was like trying to say my subconscious: "you need it, buy it, without it Arma2 will suck, etc.".

Looking at some of the reactions here, it shows me that it worked - i hope you have some stocks of that company Dsl.... :p:D

(However, at least were i grow up in germany, we are rather critic here about advertisings, unlike the People in the USA and many other countries, where they are getting raised for blinded mass-consuming, so it might be just me. I simply tend to warn people to don't get blinded by advertisings.)

While i agree that Tack-IR might be a really nice device, i don't believe its "that mandatory" like you pointing it out in the video in every 2nd sentence...

Even more since the price is in my opinion way to high (and no i wont go into speculating how low the production costs might be in china).

For instance since Arma1 release i have ordinary "free-look" on my left "thumb-button" on my mouse, so the point with "situational awareness" is not really counting for me, as i already have that with the normal ordinary free-look.

So besides "incremental lean", i can do everything with my free-look on left thumb mouse button.

And i can fly choppers really good without 3rd person too with my free-look ;)

So these were some critic remarks from me about Track-IR and the way the video was made, i hope you wont feel offended by this, its really not bad meant at all!

At least you guys have now also a critic opinion about it - hehe.

To Arma2 Part:

I think its looks simply stunning.... the Virtual World feels very much more "real" than Arma1 ever did, alone from watching the vid.

Scale seems to be entirely different.... the valleys and hills really appearing to be "big", unlike in Arma1. The last time something appearing to be "big" was in OFP1.

I hope the "flares" you mentioned when flying in the Hind are really in the Product, or were it just some "general words" about suposedly "good overview" with Track-IR?

And i hope the will really introduce parallax-free sights...Would be another little detail to do it right.

Some critic point also here:

- Faces (the textures/shading) in Arma2 looking like pale and extremely smoothened zombies.

In Arma1 and even OFP1 they looked much better. I hope this is not how it looks in the final build.

Haven't we already kinda established that that was the purpose of that video? I mean, it's pretty obvious, lol. There's no "maybe", it simply was. And it was a great advertisement at that. :D

Haven't we already kinda established that that was the purpose of that video? I mean, it's pretty obvious, lol. There's no "maybe", it simply was. And it was a great advertisement at that. :D

Lol, i thought this was more to demonstrate a bit about Arma2, like it was advertised before as a big "event" or "surprise" for the community (at least i got it like this :p ).

But yes the Advertising was "good" or at least it "works" for many people (not for me though)....

I hope its not interfering with Forums Rules §4....

Hi all

On Purely ArmA notes

Any one else notice the reflection glints on goggles on helmets?

Wonder how far the reflections work?

Wonder if it also affects scopes and binos?

Another factor to add in when scouting the enemy and trying to be covert, now you have to consider the angle between the sun, you and your target so as not to glint away your position.

I wonder how it works at night?

Looks like we may have to have an addaction to cover reflecting surfaces in ArmA or MOD it for special forces.

As to TrackIR 5

I bought my TrackIR4 more than a year back. I would not give up the time I have used it for anything. See some of my other posts as to how good it is. Using games that do not have it annoys the crap out of me.

If your play CTF or DM it is a massive advantage as you can incrementally lean on corners thus beating the others who can not and has to pop up target themselves or expose half their body or rely on rifle lean on the corner edge. Your situational awareness and faster reactions also mean a few important milliseconds advantage. Though you do get the odd person saying TrackIR is a cheat.

Saved me buying an expensive triple header too, and thus cuts down on desk space.

At some point I will upgrade.

Kind Regards walker

I hope the TrackIR 4.x software will be kept updated even with the new 5.0 software coming, I cant really say I like the new "bling bling" UI. It is both rather ugly looking (using non-native widgets) and confusing to use compared to the old one. At the very least it should have a "classic" skin that would use Windows native widgets so it wouldn't look and function differently to all other applications. It seems it is quite alot more bloated as well, using up some ~50MB of memory when minimized compared to 4.x's less than 10MB.

Edited by Kegetys

Is it just me or is the 'Direct download HD' link on Dslyecxi's website down? :(

Yeah, it is, sorry. I'll have it back up when I can, but apparently the number of people attempting to download that at the same time is a bit excessive at the moment. The Youtube version is nearly the same quality, so it'll have to suffice for now. :)

One very important question.I've seen all the previews from the gaming magazines,even the ones that had better hardware then you and Arma 2 for them didn't look nearly as good as how it does for you,that's why it didn't receive any praise for the graphics,quite the contrary actually.Are you using a new build then that sent to the previewers,for me that would make sense..

It's a more recent build, yes.

Thank you, and how much RAM + OS ?

WinXP, 4GB (which means 3.25 or whatever actually accessible).

While i agree that Tack-IR might be a really nice device, i don't believe its "that mandatory" like you pointing it out in the video in every 2nd sentence...

What a surprise, we have a difference of opinion! :eek:

For instance since Arma1 release i have ordinary "free-look" on my left "thumb-button" on my mouse, so the point with "situational awareness" is not really counting for me, as i already have that with the normal ordinary free-look.

So besides "incremental lean", i can do everything with my free-look on left thumb mouse button.

And i can fly choppers really good without 3rd person too with my free-look

Freelook forces your mouse to be occupied doing view movements. TrackIR does not. It's shown in a variety of fashions in the video, and if that doesn't convince you, nothing will short of actually using it.

However i have to admit that that whole video appears to me like some sort of pure advertising show for Track-IR.

My apologies for being enthusiastic about something that I've found to be irreplaceable since I started playing ArmA. :confused:

So these were some critic remarks from me about Track-IR and the way the video was made, i hope you wont feel offended by this, its really not bad meant at all!

Oh, no worries. I'm not offended. I know you; I knew what to expect from you regarding comments. I think you have missed some of the key points, but it seems like most others have not, so I won't lose any sleep over you. ;)

Hey one more thing, Dsylecxi: Can we expect a "ARMA2 : Just Like You Imagined" video? :D It whirred up a lot of interest in ArmA the first time around IIRC.

well im sold, im definitly going to buy one of these cool little units, I have had a go at a trackIR4 that belongs to a friend and although I found it quite awkward at first, I can definitly see the advantage and can see myself getting used to it, particually for flying yeah:).

Im not really seeing the advantage of haveing trackIR5 over trackIR4, im seeing that statistics look better but can you really notice the difference going from 4 to 5? does it really need all that extra fidelity?

edit: yeah, the just like you imagined video is always the one I show to people when trying to get them interested in Arma

edit: ok, sold again, just found this comparison of trackIR4 and trackIR5, thats proof enough for me

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/02-products/trackir-product-comparison.html

Edited by mikebart

Hey one more thing, Dsylecxi: Can we expect a "ARMA2 : Just Like You Imagined" video? :D It whirred up a lot of interest in ArmA the first time around IIRC.

In a perfect world, yes, I would like to do something like that. I would like to get some additional footage out before release, if possible. However, I also have a huge A2-related project that I'm working on which takes priority. I suppose it depends mostly on how quickly I can get said project finished. :)

For those not being able to buy the TrackIR, there is still an alternative based on the use of your webcam (with some limitations obviously), of course, depending on your webcam's quality.

I read something about it a while ago within these boards, maybe make some research in the forums (or on the NET) to grab further information about it as I haven't tried it myself yet.

But will try soon and will let you know [but need to grab that little tut' first, heh].

Regards,

TB

Edited by Thunderbird

Some of the 'delay' in my TIR4 videos was probably due to the profile I used back then. As far as TIR delay in A1 - it's not easy to notice if you mainly play A1. I was oblivious to it myself until sometime last year when I went to play IL-2 again. The snappy responses I got in that were completely different from A1. The issues that caused the funny response in A1 were identified somewhere around that time and ultimately fixed in A2, and you will definitely notice it.
I found the same thing when I downloaded the profile you were using from your site. Previously I'd found myself switching TIR off when I was aiming weapons, now it stays on all the time and I hardly ever need to recentre it. An all round better experience in A1, particularly when I upgraded to a GTX 280 & Q9450 (oc'd to 3.8GHz). There is virtually no lag even at 1920x1200 with bells and whistles at max.

It's good to know that A2 should provide an even better experience. For those serious about Arma it really is night and day for immersion.

I just noticed your in-game face looks remarkably similar to your real one ;)

P

Edited by Lt_Darkman
noticed in game face looks remarkably like real one ;-)

Okey, this is what I was talking about:

Cam2Pan

Of course, it is not as good as TrackIR but it works nonethless.

However, you will have to adjust many parameters according to your 'RL' environment (Your room's luminosity... etc).

There seems to be a few other similar tools, will give them a go and will let you know.

Regards,

TB

I just noticed your in-game face looks remarkably similar to your real one ;)

P

Not a coincidence. ;)

Okey, this is what I was talking about:

Cam2Pan

Of course, it is not as good as TrackIR but it works nonethless.

However, you will have to adjust many parameters according to your 'RL' environment (Your room's luminosity... etc).

There seems to be a few other similar tools, will give them a go and will let you know.

Regards,

TB

Stuff like that can be a good way for someone to introduce themselves to the concept and see if they like what it adds, since you can't generally get a hands-on demo otherwise. As far as the whole "it is not as good as TrackIR", well.. yep. ;)

you know, if i wasn't so happy with my trackir4 i'd buy th trackir5. but i cannot justify the expense. Must say that it trackiIR is one of the nicest pieces of technoligy (a bit fragile on its legs so be careful but that seems fixed in trackIR5).

also dealing with the guys that work at trackIR have made sure i remain a fan for life as my initial trackIR had a broken middle piece - and the guys replaced it so efficiently and with such a great attitude that i'd recommend anyone to do business with them.

wish more suppliers where like them (saitek support sucks - my joystick has becomes a little loose on the front axis and their support was so unfriendly and not wanting to help out. Even though they have good products i will never touch Saitek ever again with such shitty service as they have.).

anyway - great vid and fantastic product TrackIR!

Edited by twisted
remove word arse

I'm a long time lurker but I recently registred to this forums. And I must say the more I'm seeing this game in action the more I want it.

It does look very good especially with Track IR. Last year I almost bought a TrackIR 4 for FSX alone. Glad I didn't bought it. I will sure buy a TrackIR 5 along with ARMA II when it'll finally come out.

On Another note I never played the original ARMA... My computer at that time couldn't handle it. Now that I have upgraded my PC do you think I should buy it or wait for ARMA II? Is it worth it?

Thanks Dslyecxi for this nice video!

I can confirm that the TIR5 software does work with your TIR4, and you get to enjoy all the benefits of the software that you see in the video. So there's no need to feel like your TIR4 is now a useless piece of junk, because it isn't. :)

I've been using my TIR4 for almost two years now and it's still the greatest investment I've made for my Arma gaming, not to mention being able to use it for Live for Speed, Flight Simulator X, and IL-2. It sounds like a superfluous gadget until you actually try it out and play with it over a few sessions, and after that it truly becomes indispensable. When Dslyecxi mentions ShackTac's old WGL sessions and TIR owners trying to instinctively move their heads to look around, I'm one of the people he's talking about. ;)

For those of you who are invested in convincing yourself it's not worth it, that's fine, but Dslyecxi is not easily impressed, and if he put this much effort into getting the word out about something, it's worth your notice.

To the folks leveling veiled accusations that Dslyecxi's just trying to sell a product, let me just say that he would not have gone to the trouble of setting up a coupon code with NaturalPoint for people to use along with years of personal endorsements if he wasn't first completely satisfied with the product himself or believed that other people wouldn't be.

Hi Tyl3n0L

ArmA I is a great game especialy with the ACE MOD loaded.

As to whether it is worth it, I guess that is down to price and how much fun you can have while waiting for ArmA II.

You can pick up the gold edition in bargain buckets for about 20 UK pounds.

ArmA - Armed Assault - Gold Edition (DVD ROM) £17.99 - Gameplay.co.uk

Arma Garage Door Lock £14.99 - Busters

Arma Garage Door Lock £15.99 - M&P Direct Ltd

If you would spend 30 Euros on entertainment over 2 months then maybe also the MODs will take a little while to convert so you will get to play with those in the mean time.

Download from 30.50 Euros incl. VAT

http://www.sprocketidea.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6

Either way get a TrackIR too.

Kind regards walker

Edited by walker

Dslyecxi: I noticed the advanced software that follows TrackIR5, Im guessing this is where you set up your profile? And can or will you in that case share that profile to the rest of us?

And also I know I downloaded your profile for trackIR4 from your website but I dont think I got it too work with my TrackIR?

Keep up the good work! :yay:

However, I also have a huge A2-related project that I'm working on which takes priority. I suppose it depends mostly on how quickly I can get said project finished. :)

Intriguing :cool:

Dslyecxi: I noticed the advanced software that follows TrackIR5, Im guessing this is where you set up your profile? And can or will you in that case share that profile to the rest of us?

And also I know I downloaded your profile for trackIR4 from your website but I dont think I got it too work with my TrackIR?

Keep up the good work! :yay:

I'm one revision behind on TIR5 software, so my settings aren't the same as what you'll use in the current software (ie, the smoothing # scale has changed). Once I update/check my profile, I can post it here. It's basically just a slightly modified 'default' profile, though - the TIR5 default profile works great for me.

Not a coincidence. ;)

I thought not. Brings a whole new meaning to the term immersive :D

btw loved the reply to your vid on YouTube by the guy who thought you'd made it all up :j:

P

I can confirm that the TIR5 software does work with your TIR4, and you get to enjoy all the benefits of the software that you see in the video.
The cat's out of the bag now.

NaturalPoints' website is really slow atm. Must be quite a few people who've seen the vid or read the article and gone for a look-see ;)

P