Sign in to follow this  
hoz

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.11

Mk19 excessive recoil on Strykers and Hummers hasn't been fixed, ditto for the SLA counterpart.

This is still highly debatable.

In the other thread about Mk19 recoil, a soldier who was in Iraq said that when his gunner fired ONCE at something to his left while driving on the road, his vehicle jumped a lane to the right.

Dunno, everything else points the other way. In any case, if I point the Mk19 down to the ground the Stryker's ass shouldn't be flying like it does now. Try that, point the Mk19 to the back of the Stryker and fire. Sure enough, the 16,5 ton weight barrier is no match for the Mk19, which is supposed to be low recoil.

Excessive if you ask me.

Quote[/b] ]Please don't try to force your opinion on others.

Interesting, I don't see that post as "forcing an opinion" any more than any other post by anyone else ever written in these forums.

Quote[/b] ]We all know how special you are

icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote[/b] ]but people have the right to post their opinions here.

That's cool, I believe I have that right as well.

Quote[/b] ]We don't need you responding to everyone's comments.

I'm sorry if this offends you for some reason, but I have opinions as well, and I'm entitled to post them. Same as you or anyone else. I guess you could just skip my posts if you have an issue with reading my opinion. Don't worry, it won't hurt my feelings any. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]

In the other thread about Mk19 recoil, a soldier who was in Iraq said that when his gunner fired ONCE at something to his left while driving on the road, his vehicle jumped a lane to the right.

You can find plenty of footage of Mk-19s being fired in Iraq, Afghanistan, on qualification ranges, etc. They simply do not behave the way that you see in ArmA. There is nowhere near enough recoil to move something as heavy as a HMMWV. They can be put on tripods - they're crew-served weapons, after all. If they had enough recoil to move a HMMWV across a lane of road, they wouldn't be controllable on a tripod.

I've manually removed 1.09beta. I've installed the new beta but launchin' ArmA by kegetys launcher tool the game don't start (it works perfectly with the previous beta). Anyone have the same problem or a solution?

I renamed my 1.09 beta folder. Therefore I did not have an issue with the missing A10.pbo.

The new 1.11 beta works fine for me. I have no problems using Kegetys' launcher tool.

Everything works well as far as I can tell with our MOD & tools.

US DVD version, A-10 was not touched.

Bridge fix is very nice. Just ran an AI group of 3 AAV7's through Dolores without a hitch. Only WP placement was in town center, and West of Western bridge. They rolled in from the south, and crossed both without issue.

AI bridge crossing still isn't perfect, but it is slightly improved.

I had a test at dolores and gave a humwee and a squad waypoints over a brigde. The Humwee drove over with no hesitation. The squad splitted up, and three of them walked slowly in column form on the brigde, until the last 7 meters, where they just simply refused to move anywhere at all.

Three other squadmembers walked around the bridge onto the water, swimmed halfway until the water, and refused to move any longer, so they drowned.

The last squadmember just stood there on the road in front of the brigde, and did not want to go anywhere.

Nice patch, but I can't stand why BIS is keeping Hummers with unbulletproof glasses...

Anyway, if I can request something here... I would love to see close formations in full release of ArmA, formations like SWAT use, or like USMC use.

What are your system specs?  4k! jeez

A bit lower than yours  huh.gif

You should be able to have a similar viewdistance, maybe higher.

Of course when the battles get big, then the viewdistance needs to get dropped. But for average fights 4km is fine. 2km when they get big.

And 1.2km for when they get really big tounge2.gif

Win XP 32bit.

AMX X2 3800 (2x2Ghz).

2GB of DDR400 RAM (cheap brand, made in South Africa).

There are videos on sites like YouTube that cleary show that the vehicle does not jump back from the recoil. It's a bug in ArmA with the 'shotshell' simulation, ArmA seems to assume that when it's fired from a vehicle it is a tank shell and recoils the whole vehicle.

I want to comment here that a wheeled vehicle which is driving forward, can behave like that to my understanding. And I have studied vehicle dynamics. I would call it "upsetting the steering".

The same thing can happen if you get strong wind from the side which pushes your vehicle. For example here in Finland during snowy and icy winter driving conditions, it can be quite dangerous if you get strong wind to the side of the vehicle. Also when passing a large vehicle which creates lots of airflow, there is an effect which affects the direction your vehicle is going, at the point when you are just going past the nose of the large vehicle. It can be seen clearly during winter when the roads are very slippery, the driver must be very careful to keep the vehicle in its direction.

So my theory is that when a soldier says that their vehicle "changed lanes" when the gun was fired to the side, it is possible as I have experienced such dangerous behavour when driving my cars in slippery conditions and when affected by strong wind or when passing those large trucks. The basic thing is the same, the vehicle gets a force to its side which disturbs its dynamics.

But when the vehicle is not driving, then it should certainly not "jump lanes".

@madmatt: I don't think I have enough ram, but I'll try upping my view distance. It seems like it has to be below 2000 to get any decent fps, But maybe view distance doesn't affect fps as much as I thought.

I do need more RAM though.

Yea it's probably the RAM. I forgot to mention my graphics card, I edited it into my previous post. 7800GT 256MB.

When I went from 1GB to 2GB it made a pretty big difference in ArmA, the game was smoother and texture loading was less of an issue. For some weird reason though setting texture detail to high works better than setting it to normal. Might be different in 1.11 though, didn't test that.

didn't test all the smaller changes yet but I could change my settings from the usual low to very high on all except the shadows and it runs smooth so I have to say well done on this...

I want to comment here that a wheeled vehicle which is driving forward, can behave like that to my understanding. And I have studied vehicle dynamics. I would call it "upsetting the steering".

The same thing can happen if you get strong wind from the side which pushes your vehicle. For example here in Finland during snowy and icy winter driving conditions, it can be quite dangerous if you get strong wind to the side of the vehicle. Also when passing a large vehicle which creates lots of airflow, there is an effect which affects the direction your vehicle is going, at the point when you are just going past the nose of the large vehicle. It can be seen clearly during winter when the roads are very slippery, the driver must be very careful to keep the vehicle in its direction.

But when the vehicle is not driving, then it should not "jump".

Right, that's understandable. However, we're not dealing with average vehicles - we're talking about up-armored HMMWVs, which weigh a great deal. There are IED videos of explosives going off directly beside such HMMWVs without causing them to slide across the road. Those explosions undoubtedly put more force onto the vehicle than the recoil from a single Mk19 round being fired.

I think someone may have heard a bit of an over-exaggerated claim from a mil guy. It's not uncommon.

Edited my previous comment a bit.

If you want to create your own shortcuts, it's quite important to set properly working folder for the application (root of Arma) and run beta/arma.exe with -mod=beta command line option.

For those people getting the IFC22.dll error or other runtime errors, it may be better to think of the beta patch as an addon rather than a patch in the strict sense. What I mean is that, even after installing this patch, you could still run 1.08 ArmA if you wish, simply by running a different shortcut.

Here's the nuts and bolts of a beta setup, if you want to make your own shortcut:

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7962/betashortcutmo5.gif

1. Ensure that the actual executable being used is in the \beta subfolder.

2. Ensure that you're calling the beta subfolder in your mods list as you would any other addon.

3. Ensure that your "Start in" line still points to your original ArmA game path.

I don't know if any of you noticed, but after removing the 1.9 patch I was left with a very handy shortcut from 1.9 in the game folder, transfered this to the desktop and it works perfect, I didn't had to worry about creating a new shortcut, the target is exactly as you state; and yes it says "version 1.11" in the GUI.

I had a quick test on AI bridge pathfinding, and I'm well happy, that was one of my biggest griefs. However, if you just place a waypoint from the AI destination too the AI finish, it will try to find an alternative route other than the bridge, but if you add a waypoint just before the bridge, the AI don't hessitate on cross it, and that's just more than good enough.

Thanks BIS, you just made a happy Spaniard.

Watch this random found video on youtube.

Can you see HMMWV's jumping arround?

MfG Lee

But when the vehicle is not driving, then it should not "jump".

Right, that's understandable. However, we're not dealing with average vehicles - we're talking about up-armored HMMWVs, which weigh a great deal. There are IED videos of explosives going off directly beside such HMMWVs without causing them to slide across the road. Those explosions undoubtedly put more force onto the vehicle than the recoil from a single Mk19 round being fired.

I think someone may have heard a bit of an over-exaggerated claim from a mil guy. It's not uncommon.

Just to comment a bit more, busses have been "thrown" out of roads here in Finland by wind and I am not talking about your typical storm winds, strong wind but not what we call a storm.

But when the surface is not icy, then it is harder of course for that to happen.

How easily you can affect the direction of a moving hummer, I'd say it also depends on the angle in which the gun is fired in relation to the starting angle of the front wheels.

Surely military guys exaggerate, been there seen and done that smile_o.gif

Awesomeness... Voicechat is simply amazing,

I just love direct speak, all the different channels. Quality settings.

It works very well, a lot better than v1.09!

Thanks a lot for all the bug testing and squashing, imho (+ 6thSense.eu Community biggrin_o.gif)

Plus a yay.gif for the x64 4gb+ bug fix thumbs-up.gif

Just to comment a bit more, busses have been "thrown" out of roads here in Finland by wind and I am not talking about your typical storm winds, strong wind but not what we call a storm.

But when the surface is not icy, then it is harder of course for that to happen.

How easily you can affect the direction of a moving hummer, I'd say it also depends on the angle in which the gun is fired in relation to the starting angle of the front wheels.

Surely military guys exaggerate, been there seen and done that smile_o.gif

That's just going into details, angle of gun to wheels. What might or might not have happened is not going to get this bug that has existed since the first release get fixed. The what could happen and those minor possibilities are simply not enough of a reason to make it like that everytime. A fluke occurance isn't standard.

Point: Mk19 recoil is still excessive while it should be nearly non existant.

biggrin_o.gif

Vista 64 with 4 GB started right up (only using -nosplash -mod=beta). Turned everything up to very high, AA normal, 1680*1050, 5k view distance, runs almost as good as XP 64 now.  Seems much better under Vista (didn't notice a difference with XP). Am I supposed to be using maxmem command still for vista? So far so good without it...

The ai is improved. The standard Dolores bridges test worked pretty well with mechanized infantry squads crossing multiple bridges, with just one waypoint to other side of town. But when I added tanks to the mix... not so well. I let it run a few times and they all made it eventually (took awhile), except for 1 tank. Each time 1 tank hit the water (my girlfriend must have been driving it). With more precise waypoints I imagine they would be smarter.

As far as fog goes... in the editor I had none whatsoever. But I played a Berzerk map and noticed it around 2k meters. Is that just a map limitation? I guess that's how map makers limit max view? I never really payed attention as I usually keep my view distance lower anyways in MP.

No server problems either. Got that up and running beta too.

All in all, a very pleasant suprise for today.

Mosh

I have the same horrible just-one-texture sky, any way to fix that?

still getting a black screen when using 4GB on Vista x64 sad_o.gif

What system specs do you have exactly, esp. GFX with what drivers version?

How do you launch the patched game exactly?

k this pc has:

vista x64

6600 quad core

4GB ram

ATI HD2900xt 1GB

the ATI has the lastest vista x64 driver from the AMD site.

I launch the patched game by using the beta shortcut thats created in the arma main folder. its path is: D:\Games\ArmA\beta\arma.exe -mod=beta -nosplash

After some testing:

Partisan Medic. Rolling Eyes

-SLA Weapons Crates still contain M203 instead of GP25 rounds.

-AH6 flight control model now has problems.

-Oil fields derrick animation way too fast.

-Choppers still take little or no damage when ground impact occurs on the nose.

-D30's now operate underwater. Shocked

-FFAR & 80mm dumbfire rocket sounds removed.

-MP5's still pickup SD rounds before normal, unlike every other weapon.

-M136 rounds still at the supersonic batman speeds of 1.09.

-Recoils are still stupid and arcadish for all weapons, 50cals have almost-no recoils, m24 is deadly accurate and almost recoilless.

-MK19 still screws the damn stability and bounces the vehicles way to much.

VON is working fine right now, if only there would be a separate slider for its volume. The damn radio reports bugs me off big time when trying to communicate.

I got a problem with LODs on 1.11, so in order to get this working i am using -vm108.. It's a bit strange to say the least. Flickering of the textures also occurs:

[im]http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff105/KH_PuFu/Untitled0-19-31-5-1.jpg[/img]>100kb

Click here to enlarge

System:

e6600 OCed at 3ghz

2gig 800 Corsair XMS2 DHX

X1950XTX 512

2x 320 Sata2

Antec 650 PSU

etc etc

Same problems as Sickboy reports (page 2). We're not able to connect to our servers we try to setup. I connect fine to my own dedi server (LAN), but others cant connect.

Nothing shows up in the server log.

// INGAME SETTINGS

battleye = 0;

disableVoN=0;

vonCodecQuality=3;

persistent=1;

3rdPersonView=0;

difficulty="regular";

verifySignatures=0;

equalModRequired=0;

Edit: And it's the same with hosting a non-dedi server, can't connect.

Edit2: tried "evernthing", no addons starting default missions, but nothing... Installing 1.09 again...

Edit3: Which is ALSO a no-go, since it won't let me install 1.09 when 1.11 is newer. My bad, I should have KNOWN to bake a backup first...

I'm seriously convinced that this patch is far from being the last one to be released, therefore, I would like to ask 'Addon Makers and MODs Team' which are developing their projects to not base their releases on this patch by simply keeping requiredVersion = <span style='color:red'>...</span>; within their cfgpatches less than 1.11, until their would be some stable fixes, as this patch, which despite being innovative in some areas, has disrupted several elements.

(They, overall more or less all have been reported through the thread).

Regards,

TB

Had no trouble patching, as i moved the beta folder to a backup position before.

The non MP-related errors do not happen to me.

I have no trouble with aiming over long distances, not in 1.09 and not with patch 1..11. Also the reported lod-bug is not happen to me.

The performance is nearly as good as in 1.09, but with much better detail on the far away vegetation.

The MK19 and AGS 30 recoil should be fixed asap, no recoil on those weapons would be nearly real. wink_o.gif

Besides the two bugs aforementioned (BMP-2, SPR) I'm very happy to see a lot of impovements in 1.11.5344. However, there are still some things to improve that do not qualify as bugs.

* MK-19 equipped vehicles are to much affected by recoil and there is to much gunsmoke.

* The improved fixed wings aircraft yaw authority leaves all helicopter in game in a growing disadvantage. Now airplanes are much better and easier to handle platforms with guns and unguides rockets. the improvements made in controllability to airplanes should be carried over to Helicopters.