Sign in to follow this  
hoz

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.11

I run with dual core AMD 3800+, 8800GTS 320mb, 2GB ram and this patch initially felt very good. Still does but some weird chops/lag seems to come out of nowhere. For example, i look forward moving slightly, nothing new is loading in, no sounds are loading and yet i got chops/lag. This never happened with 1.09.

However, i can now play domination sahrani full server with 5000 view distance without lag/chops where with 1.09 i played with about 1500 -2000 (graphic options set to high with some very high, some normal). Still though, these out of nowhere chops/lags are weird and annoying.

One thing i liked very much was that when there is some performance hits (lots of fighting/effects etc) it didnt slow down my computer. It chops but doesnt slow down. That is very cool and other friends report this as well. So im happy with some annoyance about those "out of nowhere lags".

Only thing i really tried vehicle wise that i didnt like is super cobra. Lift is way to power less. Tested to have some AI fly them over a mountain and back - they all crash everytime. Maybe its realistic (never flown one) but you cant hardly move it forward without losing altitude. Thaught attack helis where more agile than that. Maybe im wrong.

Regards

Alex

Quote[/b] ]8800GTS 320mb

Seems like this card specifically runs worse on the new patch compared to 1.09, I can at least testify to that and I think someone else mentioned it further back in this thread too.

Thanks Opteryx. And i have a new 8800GTX waiting for me so hopefully that will be sorted.

To everyone that have problems hosting a game (not dedicated) with difficultys i can add my voice to that as well. When i hosted, people in england could connect to me but not people in romania. (discriminating code?) biggrin_o.gif joking.

i am using 8800gts 320mb too and i notice no perforemce hit

E6600, Asus P5B delux , 2GB RAM, WIN XP SP2, all factory setting

using ECS fps counter(i locked the view distance to 4000) and they are all the same(woodland through is much smoother then 1.08)

using ECS fps counter(i locked the view distance to 4000) and they are all the same(woodland through is much smoother then 1.08)

But have you compared the performance of 1.11 to 1.09?

Quote[/b] ]8800GTS 320mb

Seems like this card specifically runs worse on the new patch compared to 1.09, I can at least testify to that and I think someone else mentioned it further back in this thread too.

i use that card and no performance loss and far distance is MUCH smoother now.

But have you compared the performance of 1.11 to 1.09?

YES, i compare it in south sara airport with 4000 VD

1.09 shows some 56

1.11 shows 60+

if i turn the VD down to 2000 the FPS boots even more

in 1.09 its 72

in 1.11, 80+(get into scope mode and it jumps to 100+) tounge2.gif

Guess I'm just not so lucky then, to me this patch is reminiscent of 1.05. sad_o.gif

Hey guys, the answer to the performance is that with 1.11 i have tons of better performance. The "hits" just seems to be some annoying stupid things that happen. As they dont slow the game down but just happens between the awesome superior performance, i just dont understand what it is.

One idea was ofcourse that 320mb is a bit little for video mem for arma, but in 1.09 the sim ran solid - but with less performance. This "hick-ups" comes here and there but disapears as soon as they come. They are just so f*ing annoying since 99% of the time it flows flawlessly. Just wondering what they are... Why they show up. I will mix with some settings more. Seems arma runs better sometimes when i go very high on textures than normal lol. When i run normal or high the textures can go blurry and i have to zoom in to get it off. Or go very high and the problem disapears. This has been since 1.08. no news there.

Im getting a new computer soon and as i dont see anyone else with these "hick-ups" it might be my computer that cant handle it all well enough.

EDIT: Settings: 1024x768 (sometimes 1280x960), Grass: low, objects: normal, textures: very high, shader: normal, post proc: low/high, anisotropic: very high, AA: high, shadows: high, blood: high.

Most of the times it flows. And im a guy that hates chops/lag, but with the 8800 overclocked 500mhz and the CPU overclocked some hundred mhz it does flow good except those hick-ups

Regards

Alex

72 @ Mar. 24 2008,09:56)]...those hick-ups

That's what many people called "stutter" in the past.

Happens every ~5seconds when I fly with high viewdistances.

VERY annoying!

MfG Lee

Guess I'm just not so lucky then, to me this patch is reminiscent of 1.05.   sad_o.gif

dunno what cause, but is better to check if the system have some problem, did you tried all old style tweak that we cames up from the pass one year?

@ Lee Harvey: yeah stutters is what i mean. However, my stutters arent from moving forward, thus new textures/sounds are loading in, wich i could have taken since my computer isnt the sharpest knife in the drawer, but from standing on rhamadi alone looking just a few degrees left and right continuosly it stutters maybe the 10th time i move some degrees, SAME degrees, so no new textures are loaded, nor any sounds. Then it flows another 5 times maybe - and stutter.

This never happens in 1.09. Just plain weird. Maybe it has to do with that new memory handling stuff. My RAMs are pc3200 400mhz - not the best there either.

Anyway ill be good til i get my new computer. Just posted the weirdness as it maybe might help BIS in some way.

Regards

Alex

Could someone else try this to reproduce the problem ?

just create an MP game (non queen gambit) on your computer, and ask someone to join your game (he should have 1.11 too).

You'll get "Connexion failed".

It was working on 1.09 and earlier versions.

@Nikoo: Yes i wrote it before. i have same problem. some people can connect to me and some dont.

However. i tried to connect to dedicated and said connection failed. then i go to FILTER and BattlEye ON - after that i can connect.

Thaught it was ONLY a filter to see who uses it or not, but it seems to be turn ON turn OFF BattlEye...?

unable to play in multiplayer.

i can't test this patch , because i always play in multiplayer context.

that sucks.

I have these stutters as well, every 5 seconds or so. Eariler (1.05?) they were more apparent when grass was enabled, now I get this on nongrass servers online as well.

Agreed on the VoIP stuff, there absolutely need to be a separate volumecontrol for directchat. Furthermore, there should be a server setting or something to control voice attenuation (fadeing with distance). As it is now, we cannot hear anyone more than 5 meters away, especially if there are some fighting or vehicles going on nearby.

Hey guys,

Actually, I have the best performance I've ever seen with patch 1.11!! My card is only a GF7950GT, and I run it in TripleHead.

Even my wife, who is clueless to games, noticed the HUGE difference in performance. Maybe individual milage will vary, but to me, it's a whole new game!!

Not sure if this was introduced in 1.11 or not; maybe it's only noticeable, since the game is so much more playable, but in the mission, "The Great Battle", when flying the Super Cobra, it's now nearly impossible to direct the gunner to a new target.

Grats on a great patch, though, BIS!!

Guest Ti0n3r

Seems that the AI has gone back to making one shot kills from 500 meters away, 2 seconds after I fire 1 single shot at them. Damn tounge2.gif

Noticed a big performance boost though. Nice BIS smile_o.gif

Seems that the AI has gone back to making one shot kills from 500 meters away, 2 seconds after I fire 1 single shot at them. Damn tounge2.gif

Strange, since thats not what I'm experience here....

I'm still testing but found the AI is no longer capable to pin-point you by hearing alone and only get your general direction when you fire (unless they see you of course).

In fact with 1.11 Beta it's now possible to actually do a sniper mission properly with "one shot - one kill" without being nailed directly after firing from a hidden position.

What settings did you use on skill in editor as well as skillEnemy and precisionEnemy in config? Maybe you are using an AI enhancing addon like TrueRange or similar?

As I said, I'm still testing...

/KC

Great patch! Even my shitty 7300GS noticed a difference, even though most of my settings are low i still manage to play with some vast view distances (6000m), and now some of the objects are starting to be drawn further away(what affects this?), so now I can have longer ranged armor battles, all i would like to see is TOW/AT-5 manual guidance fixed so that the players missile still tracks/flies straight over the 1500m+ mark(AI can hit targets no problem). But other wise im still enjoying what you have done so far thank you!

Noticed a few things regarding the fixes

-AI Pathfinding for Bridge

AI Infantry still going beneath bridge instead of crossing it and coming out of the water with nothing

Tanks going beneath bridge and drowning + Explosion still happens

-LOD Fixed

No Complaints there works better!Better Performance and less tree poppping up+++

Are we using the -maxmem command in 1.11 or was that before? Just wondering as i get different results all the time when playing. I got 2GB ram.

Regards

Alex

I don't know whether it's 1.11 or catalyst 8.3, but finally, my crossfire works consistently with ArmA!

Big ups!

The patch is good.

But,

the performance in Multiplayer Games is (sometimes) bad. My fps sometimes drops to 5 fps or so.

It drops all 200-300 meters during driving Vehicle's.(Not in Helo's or Plane's)

And periodly (all 1 minute or so) as Infantry.

The overall Performance in (northern) City's is a bit less then with the 1.09beta

I testet it again with 1.09 and here I have no fps drops.

It really depends on the 1.11beta. Sadly...

Hope you understand my horrible english smile_o.gif

edit: My Rig: Windows XP Pro X64, AMD X2-5200+(1MB Cache), 2 Gb DDR2-800, ATI X1950GT (AGP and 256 MB VRam) -- all Drivers are up to Date.

edit2: -vm108 brings less fps. So it doesn't help.

I want the performance from 1.09 back sad_o.gif

I'm thinking of upgrading to Vista X64.

Anyone playing Arma on Vista X64 here ?

How does the performance compare to XP 32 bit ?

Let's say 'somewhere' in the game I have 50FPS on XP, should I expect it to drop to lets say 40FPS in Vista X64 ?

Someone earlier in this thread have almost my specs, and still experiencing problems with 1.11, so I'm a little hesitant.

Intel q6600, ATI 2900XT, 4GB RAM