Sign in to follow this  
telejunky

ArmA 2

They look great as far as detail goes, not to mention the soldier model is around 8,800 faces, standard US rifle infantry with no weapon is 8,829, and I'm not even seeing the modelled kneepads on this one.

I know this is slightly off topic, but have you noticed (or am i going mad) that the soldiers in ArmA have random elements to them? I mean rolled up sleeves. Two, one or no knee pads. Goggles, Camel back or no backpack...what governs those elements and can you force a model to have them all?

Anyway, back on topic: I'm a little miffed that I've only just managed to scrape together enough cash to buy a PC barely capable of playing ArmA, and now i have to save up again for a better one. No doubt ArmA2 have greater minimum spec requirements, right?

I know i knew Game2 was coming out, but after the long delays in ArmA, i though i'd get a few years out of it first before upgrading again.

Yeah, they seem class related, similar to machine gunners and snipers having the aviator gloves and others not, assault, grenaders having different sleeves as as snipers not having boot bands so the pant leg sleeves look kind of sloppy, goggles and even so far as to have different pockets on the body armor.

Another possibility is that the model given is just a simple model, incomplete with these and seperate models are used for each class therefore they have these special things. We'll only know when we can crack the P3D's open.

Another possibility is that the model given is just a simple model, incomplete with these and seperate models are used for each class therefore they have these special things. We'll only know when we can crack the P3D's open.

Exactly. Different classes use different p3d files. We hope to have a little bit more flexible system for future products, however for ArmA we used this, because it is simple, it works, and it has excellent performance.

LAV-25 , BTR-80 , BTR-90 , MiG-21 , MiG-25 , MiG-29 , Su-27 , Su-25 , MiG-39 , F-35 , F-18 , AK-47 , M16A2 , M16A4 , M4A1 , AK-74M , AKS-47 , AKM , AKMS , AKS-74U , AKS-74M , AKS-74 , AK-74 , AK-103 , M9 , Yargin , Kord , M2 , C-130 , An-26...some of those i would like to see

Exactly. Different classes use different p3d files. We hope to have a little bit more flexible system for future products, however for ArmA we used this, because it is simple, it works, and it has excellent performance.

Simple and better on performance, can't says I see much of any reason to argue.

As for your post Marxis, judging from ArmaII images thus far we have seen-

BMP-3

BTR-90

MI-24(D?)

AAV

Original Game2 images and magazine cuts also showed and I don't doubt they will be included considering ArmaII's more "strict" accuracy on military vehicles to their operators.

UH-1Y (Appears in a scan and several ingame images, also seen in a video)

F-35 (Seen in scans and video)

7 ton truck (Game2 images and a scan)

SU-35 (Seen in Game2 images cut in sections, in two page scans and appears to be the one used in Arma)

T-90 (Appears in two page scans and also shown shortly in a video as well as four Game2 images)

M1A2 (may be changed to A1?)

Stryker (old magazine scan, possibly place holder at the time)

HMMWV, also seen in the early stages of Arma, in several Arma videos and a William Porter blog that was later removed.

V-22 (Appears in two page scans and one ingame image sitting beside a UH-1Y)

Avenger (Seen in an old game2 image, only one image showing this unti)

LandRover (Similar but the same as the Arma one, this is the one with the pushed in grill, seen in a single image infront of civilian houses of Game2)

And weaponry goes without saying. I wouldn't garuntee all of the above listed will be in ArmaII but I don't think we'll be seeing UH-60's for the USMC again, judging from the images first released, Arma's unit and vehicle 'relations' seem to be more accurate, USMC using proper USMC vehicles, Russians using modern Russian equipment, or somebody using modern Russian equipment.

new videos from ArmA2

link

- hand signals without radio

- cover and AI lean

- Talk interaction (only I saw for interaction by near AI soldier)

new videos from ArmA2

link

- hand signals without radio

- cover and AI lean

- Talk interaction (only I saw for interaction by near AI soldier)

That was AI? Im impressed, they recognize corners! wow_o.gif

Guest Ti0n3r

I'm impressed by what I've seen so far yay.gif

Hope the AI is indeed smart. It's great they lean and do hand signals, now. One other thing I'd like to see is sidestepping round corners. Always going forwards looks unnatural.

EDIT: Looked again and there is sidestepping- great! Now just for some less lethal shots at long distances, suppressive fire etc.

That AI looked brilliant - and there IS sidestepping, if you check out the bit at the end of the first video, the AI sidesteps around a little alcove to check it down an alleyway. At last - decent urban combat! The hand signals give the AI a real sense of life, too. More incidental animations like these are absolutely vital to remove the 'AI grunt' syndrome of OFP/ArmA.

Also, did anyone notice the accurately modelled sight on the AK in video 3? Looks like they've still got a bit of work to do on that though, seeing as how it escaped from the rest of the gun!

Very impressive videos. And there is still so much time to work on this yay.gif

I saw how the sight "escaped" from the rest of the gun, yes and at first I thought it's not right. But then I realised that such sights are meant to be used with two eyes open. So although you only see one "camera" view you still see the aimpoint outside the sight window as if your other eye is looking through correctly. Still, I might be talking sh*te.

This is most impressive the AI, the sights the hand signals everything seems on the right path.

Can somebody provide a rough translation of what they are saying?

Also it seems that the graphics are on ArmA 1 level so we might not need to upgrade again after all.

Quote[/b] ]Also it seems that the graphics are on ArmA 1 level so we might not need to upgrade again after all.

The graphics will change a lot when it get near to his release, like ArmA 1 did, they have to change, I cant imagine BIS releasing ArmA2 with ArmA1 graphics, it wouldn't fit.

Impressive AI indeed.

But I still have that weird feeling that I'm seeing ArmA 1 with a patch instead of a hole new game.

yeah, impressive AI. the soldiers are also awesome. they seems almost real. tounge2.gif

the soldiers in the vids are the same in Arma? they seems different !!

This has to be the biggest joke ever, they get a poor excuse of the game out of the door label it the ultimate sim and we all paid good money for it for what? A large scale beta test so they can develop Arma 2, which judging by the current screenshots looks exactly like Arma 1 execpt on a different island / different vehicles.

As someone mentioned the Ai recongise corners! Wow that is one heck of an achievenment, I'm sorry to rain on peoples parade but all these 'features' should of been included in the original Arma - At the very least in the next patch. Its built on the same code, they must be an incredibly good reason why they can't be incorprated in the next patch.

New Toys and Island, yeah I'd pay for that, stuff that Op:f 2 is going to have (real physics) or what was promised in the really early previews (fully destructable enviroments) Yeah I'd pay for that but the same bugged, broken, unrealistic game in a different dress? Don't think so its a f**king joke.

Fix what you've already made, prove you actually listen to the community and then release Arma 2

jambo u ever tried develop game ?

ArmA took like 1.5y from annouce to release

this is approx same

in meanwhile other team took 5 years to release single game then released 2 patches and ceased to exist

i know ArmA got it's flaws or missing features yet patching and improving is still scheduled...

also about the visuals, ArmA 2 uses improved engine from ArmA (nothing new in game industry look at any key firm - they keep improving original engines)

atm BIS simply used what they got now from ArmA ...

anyway it's WIP and like week since announced ...

This has to be the biggest joke ever, they get a poor excuse of the game out of the door label it the ultimate sim and we all paid good money for it for what? A large scale beta test so they can develop Arma 2, which judging by the current screenshots looks exactly like Arma 1 execpt on a different island / different vehicles.

As someone mentioned the Ai recongise corners! Wow that is one heck of an achievenment, I'm sorry to rain on peoples parade but all these 'features' should of been included in the original Arma - At the very least in the next patch. Its built on the same code, they must be an incredibly good reason why they can't be incorprated in the next patch.

New Toys and Island, yeah I'd pay for that, stuff that Op:f 2 is going to have (real physics) or what was promised in the really early previews (fully destructable enviroments) Yeah I'd pay for that but the same bugged, broken, unrealistic game in a different dress? Don't think so its a f**king joke.

Fix what you've already made, prove you actually listen to the community and then release Arma 2

Wait..

Are you saying OFP2 will be realistic? It looks more along the lines of COD to me.

No I've never developed game but I am quite aware of the requirements, dev process (I studied design at college and spent 2 months with a Games Dev team) But you must understand that if BIS don't listen to what we, as there consumers want then the game is going to fall flat on its face. Alot of people here would buy it sure enough, bugs n all but you never aim a game at the niche crowd. A common problem with Arma is because of the aweful performance of the first demo a lot of the non-hardcore (espiecally clans) simply didn't play it or if they did soon ditched it. This is where money is made and lost. First impressions count for everything, even now people are put off because performance is so bad, gameplay is weak and bugs have been carried over from Op:F.

I'm quite aware that companys use the same code and improve on an engine visually, the problem I have is that the improvements are nothing ground breaking and have been kicking around for sometime in other games. In the reviews of the game graphics where not a high point of Arma and actually distracted people because they tried to cram so much in. This caused headaches in performance for so many people - They should focus on making the game 100% playable before even talking about Arma 2.

Fix Arma 1, make it the game it was meant to be played and Arma 2 will surely rise to the challenge because it needs to, Op:F 2 has already a massive advantage over Arma 2.

Just to short list Op:F 2 has over Arma ;

Real Physics

Amazing Graphics

An original setup (USA/NATO vs Chinase based forces)

Real Physics

Amazing Graphics

An original setup (USA/NATO vs Chinase based forces)

While I can't say anything about the physics in these 2 games I can say that what we have seen from OFP2 is pre-rendered content so we can't really tell how the graphics in OFP2 will be. But what I really know is that a USA vs China isn't really original. Battlefield 2 for example.

That leaning and sidestepping was just awesome wow_o.gif I hope they can really nail urban combat this time! Looks like they're going the right direction... thumbs up!

The AI is getting much better till the release date it will be perfect I hope.

And please some add the wildlife and a good Campaign the graphics I dont care so much as long as it plays ok an is optimized.

Future Projects?? I thought ArmA II will be the last Public release made by BIS... Or are you talking about future VBS?