Sign in to follow this  
telejunky

ArmA 2

Tho unless ArmA2 delivers a punch... and not just another slightly more tuned up version of Flashpoint, its going to bomb. If the physics and such have been kept as is or just "slightly" improved from ArmA... then its going to have to deliver big on the campaign, and AI. Bigger view distance, and brown trees, and a few new vehicles just aren't going to cut it....

From what I’ve seen it does look a lot like ArmA, but the AI looks like it's the real selling point.

Have you seen that vid of the squad moving up the street?  The AI soldiers ar hiding behind pillars, leaning around corners.  There’s even a bit where an AI guy goes looking down a dead end road.  This last bit may be the AI trying to stay in formation, but it really looks like he's 'investigating' or clearing the area.

<s>I'll try and find that vid....</s>

[EDIT]  Found it here.  Check out the top vid to see the AI as i said.

Yea I have seen the videos, and the AI does look quite good in them... but I personally will reserve judgement till the game is released. Only then, when we are actually playing the game will we be able to tell how good the new AI is.

No that was pointed out before, I'm more concerned with the height of that smoke stack though.

But if shadow distance has been improved then all the better.

i wonder if Shadows may be used for AI sighting / awareness calculations ...

as in ArmA they not (for obvious reason to save resources)

http://www.armedassault.com/pic_arma2/ArmA2burning.jpg That smoke stack has got to be over 60meters, which if anyone recalls was OFP's and supposedly Arma's geometry limit. Supposedly the engine will be more optimized as well to allow for more detailed enviroments.

If the smoke is generated by using the particles system like it was in OFP, there is no relation between the smoke column length and the limitations on model size.

In OFP you could have smoke column that could be several hundred of meters in length.

Seems to me like ArmA was in fact a giant beta test (or 'dev in progress' state) hence, no console version possible. With the anouncement of ArmA2 on pc AND CONSOLES we can hope to see some sort of finished product in 2008.

Seems to me like ArmA was in fact a giant beta test (or 'dev in progress' state) hence, no console version possible. With the anouncement of ArmA2 on pc AND CONSOLES we can hope to see some sort of finished product in 2008.

All patched up Arma is brilliant. Armed Assault + real ME + editing tools is a priceless package. Best money i've spent on a piece of software in a very long time.

Its pretty much what people wanted. A more optimised and capable platform with many new features (and neat graphics).

For the console gamer GRAW or Halo are problably better games, thing is.. Arma is more than just a game.

http://www.armedassault.com/pic_arma2/ArmA2burning.jpg  That smoke stack has got to be over 60meters, which if anyone recalls was OFP's and supposedly Arma's geometry limit.  Supposedly the engine will be more optimized as well to allow for more detailed enviroments.

If the smoke is generated by using the particles system like it was in OFP, there is no relation between the smoke column length and the limitations on model size.

In OFP you could have smoke column that could be several hundred of meters in length.

I think he is talking about the :smoke Stack: As in the big column (structure) towards the center of the picture. I think that is what he is talking about at least but I am not sure if it is a smoke stack or something else. I originally thought he said smoke too but I went back and looked. I actually never even noticed it there before he mentioned anything.

All patched up Arma is brilliant. Armed Assault + real ME + editing tools is a priceless package. Best money i've spent on a piece of software in a very long time.

Its pretty much what people wanted. A more optimised and capable platform with many new features (and neat graphics).

For the console gamer GRAW or Halo are problably better games, thing is.. Arma is more than just a game.

Well, i admit, i'm not into ArmA anymore (no funds, no decent pc, no desk, no time, no dedication ... playing Bioshock and waiting for PES2008, with a nice saucy CoD4 and Mass Effect and GTA4 on its way ... who needs Halo3:)

But if you state that ArmA 'all patched up' is brilliant, why bother with ArmA2, and why not go for some extra money and make ArmA/360?

And no, GRAW, Halo is not the only games we want, but Halo3, if living up to the hype is worth playing i guess. 360, as is my opinion, is desperately in need of some real tactical shooter (a la GR and Elite. And i can't help but smiling to see that my 'hunch' is now finally backup'd by not 1, not 2 but at least 3 devs who are working on such titles, being ArmA2/360 by BIS, OFP2/360 by CM and that BFS game ... who know, Ubi might see some pattern and even goes for some kind of GR:IT/360 ...

PC gamers may be happy, but 2008 is looking good for 360 too:)

http://www.armedassault.com/pic_arma2/ArmA2burning.jpg That smoke stack has got to be over 60meters, which if anyone recalls was OFP's and supposedly Arma's geometry limit. Supposedly the engine will be more optimized as well to allow for more detailed enviroments.

I think he is talking about the :smoke Stack: As in the big column (structure) towards the center of the picture. I think that is what he is talking about at least but I am not sure if it is a smoke stack or something else. I originally thought he said smoke too but I went back and looked. I actually never even noticed it there before he mentioned anything.

Yeah he(and I) was talking about the physical smoke stack thats lined up with the APC on the left. Totally looks like the shadow is casting from it down through the smoke and over the APC.

You can even see what looks like a lower res.(because its being cast so far?) shadow from the tower going over the APC right behind the turret, right in line with the smoke stack in the background.

And speaking of columns of smoke, would be nice if those cast shadows too. I love lighting and shadows in games. :P

Ah, you mean the "chimney" tower.

I had actually no idea a tower could be called a stack wink_o.gif

In my rudimentary understanding of this foreign langage that english is to me, i thought this word was meaning something like an "accumulation" of something (as i nearly read this word only when playing some good old wargames) , and that's why i thought it was about the smoke column.

At least "you learn something new everyday" proves again to be true he he.

After that uninteresting writing of mine, back on topic.

I wonder what is the size of this tower though, in the chernobyl mod in OFP there was some impressively tall complex structures buildings that seemed taller than this tower.

But as we have no real indication on the distance this tower is in comparison to the point of view, it could ending in being very tall, maybe breaking the limitations we know from OFP/ArmA that always ended in scripted workarounds that were unfortunately not reliable enough for several situations.

The fact shadows are influenced by the smoke effects is very impressive in the screenshot. I wonder how much this will make the computers to crawl in heavy battles with smoke everywhere.

Shadows already appear on smoke in Arma. It looks pretty cool, but it's not really something you'd notice unless you payed special attention to it.

I'm liking the hand signals and MOUT/CQB the AI are doing.. Well done! This liiks to be the start of comprehensive AI teamwork.

Don't know if you see it already:

http://www.bistudio.com/index.p....emid=68

smile_o.gif

Btw.

I think it's a pity that the wide area on the orginalpic is broken with trees in the game. The terrain on orginalpic allows some exciting tankcombats. smile_o.gif

I saw that a couple days ago. Interesting smile_o.gif

I'm sure there'll be plenty of more open areas for tanks. And if not, they can always knock a few down tounge2.gif

It's nice to see that BI finally get a developer blog. It keeps the community a bit more in the light on how they think. smile_o.gif

This game is looking really cool so far. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much because it's still early in development, (right?), but it's just to difficult to resist. notworthy.gif

Sounds great Cannon Fodder- the AI has the potential to actually be great. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

This game is looking really cool so far. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much because it's still early in development, (right?)

Well its been in development since 2003 or so.... so I don't really think you can call it "early" in development.

This game is looking really cool so far. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much because it's still early in development, (right?)

Well its been in development since 2003 or so.... so I don't really think you can call it "early" in development.

Though part of that was was put into ArmA, there are most likely features they havent been working on for that long.

However, we can be pretty glad to see it like this; that the graphics engine and what parts of the game engine (the FSM?) that they'll use in ArmA2 has been heavily tested now and they've got a wide base of supporting players and bug-finders/solvers helping them.

I like this community. In how many other games do you see this kind of cooperation throughout the whole process, even after the beta is over?

Though part of that was was put into ArmA, there are most likely features they havent been working on for that long.

Its possible, but its its still rather late in development to start working on anything major. If the games going to be out in less than a year... its going to have to move to more of a bug testing and finalizing phase not too long from now. Don't forget how long it took to fix and tweak ArmA so it was playable...

Not to mention it seems more more likely features have been removed since E3 2005 rather then been added. Everything we have seen in the new shots/info/video is all from the 2005 info... but some things seem to be missing. We'll have to see when the game comes out, but I wouldn't expect anything too major that we don't already know about.... if there is, great. If not, no dissapointment.