Sign in to follow this  
dslyecxi

ArmA like you've never seen it before

The picture + videos say more than words can, so let's jump right into them. This is all stuff that I've been working on lately at my job - this is the first time I've really had an opportunity to post about them.

Here's 40+ feet wide worth of beautiful screen real estate. The kicker is that you can shoot at it with laser-equipped, Co2-powered recoil weapons and kill stuff in the environment. (Note that the black borders are only on those screens, the final product has seamless screens)

http://www.dslyecxi.com/lsthingsthatareneat/4screen_sml.jpg

Here's that same setup, flying around in a helo.

http://www.dslyecxi.com/lsthingsthatareneat/four_screen_ah6.wmv

And last but by no means least, we have the icing on the cake - live-fire! This is me, with my own personal rifle, with real bullets, shooting virtual bad guys. The calibration was off a bit (shots were registering low, hence the many leg shots and near-misses below the enemies), but still, it was pure awesomeness incarnate. Dumped about five magazines through some of my scenarios in a 10 minute period.

http://www.dslyecxi.com/lsthing....r15.wmv

inlove.gifpistols.gif

Interesting stuff mate; looks as fun as it is useful.

Is there any sort of device for the live-fire setup that allows user movement through the simulator, or is intended for tasks where the operator's movement would be limited? Such as vehicle top-cover and operating mounted weapon systems.

I was just wondering if there was a point to this. Not in a demeaning way, but more of a "why?" way. Is it just for personal research, for VBS2/military use, BIS/BIA research, upcoming products? If you are allowed to, I would like more information as to a point to this, other than a bad-ass toy. And it is, by the way, a bad-ass setup. smile_o.gif

Dslyecxi works for Lasershot who are involved in the Military Training business.  http://www.lasershot-military.com/index.php they incorporate VBS2 into training simulators including lire fire ranges.  Not sure why Dslyecxi is showing us ArmA in this environment instead of VBS2, maybe he's not allowed to show VBS2 or maybe he is jut showing ArmA because he can.  Either way, you've got to have a little bit of envy.  Who wouldn't want a setup like that at home if you could smile_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Is there any sort of device for the live-fire setup that allows user movement through the simulator, or is intended for tasks where the operator's movement would be limited? Such as vehicle top-cover and operating mounted weapon systems.

It can be adapted to pretty much anything. US Special Forces have a variant that is a shoothouse, with the screens being on the walls. You breach and flood the room, and enemy insurgents or whatever will be in a simulated extension of the room represented by the screens, and they may grab a rifle or surrender or any number of other things.

Quote[/b] ]I was just wondering if there was a point to this. Not in a demeaning way, but more of a "why?" way. Is it just for personal research, for VBS2/military use, BIS/BIA research, upcoming products? If you are allowed to, I would like more information as to a point to this, other than a bad-ass toy. And it is, by the way, a bad-ass setup.

It's a firearms training tool. More info on this site.

Quote[/b] ]Not sure why Dslyecxi is showing us ArmA in this environment instead of VBS2

VBS2 discussion isn't permitted, so posting "VBS2" footage would be silly, right? whistle.gif

I not jealous! Not one bit! Honestly I'm not!!.................. sad_o.gif

How would the movement go in something like this? When you use the real weapons and stuff?

It really looks awesome though. Having Paraïso almost lifesize in front of you. notworthy.gif

How much would this cost me? (Including price to buy a house and building an extra room for this stuff)

*wipes drool from chin*

I am impressed xmas_o.gif

Awesome post ... I wish my PC where up to this giant challenge tounge2.gif

What are your system specs on that pc? As you were flying it was very smooth.

What are your system specs on that pc? As you were flying it was very smooth.

"Very good". wink_o.gif

I´m very curious about the cost for a simple home system - if it´s available for civilians at all.

What would one need besides a "Dry Fire Laser Insert" .. a camera like thingie that get´s the shots data to the pc?

Can you give us some hints? smile_o.gif

Did you use a song by Apocalyptica as music for the AH6 movie?

While us lot are all saving up for 8800GTXs + Quad core CPUs we could have just got friendly with Dyslexci and got ourselves an ArmA Rifle Range :P LOL

Great stuff!

this was my world before this post....

img_294.jpg

not really comparable :-)

you win definitivly !

Damn, and I thought playing on 3x 20" widescreens with Kegetys SoftTH is cool:

ArmA_108_Triple.jpg

But that is CRAZY!

MfG MfG Lee wow_o.gifcrazy_o.gifsmile_o.gif