Sign in to follow this  
Exsosus

Advanced Combat Environment

Its sad to read that Phaeden aswell as Angus both quit again. Sounds like WGL all over...

Im happy there are people continueing the work anyway.

The information about addon compatibility and/or portability between ArmA and ArmA2 was btw already long known before the news about stopping ACE hit this thread, its too bad the announcement was made before this information was reviewed or BIS contacted, but it's great that it has been put right again.

I definitely think it'll be worth to make ACE. Many still have OFP on their computers solely thanks to WGL, me and a whole gang of buddies are some of them.

And I don't think BIS intend to ditch the old syntaxes and the SQF code. I trust them on that they say it'll be easily ported on that part.

And, if you don't want to do a super-heavy job, release some stuff at a time. I can promise people will dance naked in the streets in delight even if we only get the bleeding and damage system from WGL ported to ArmA.

Keep it up boys, because I can promise you've got loads of support!

like i said it's all about project lead to pickup the best from various development tree branches ...

Yeah, there's definitely support out here. Lots of us want ACE. And it doesn't have to be fancy... the earlier WGL version's weren't. I'd be ecstatic just to have an ACE realism pack, taking ArmA and configging everything properly. smile_o.gif

Yeah, there's definitely support out here. Lots of us want ACE. And it doesn't have to be fancy... the earlier WGL version's weren't. I'd be ecstatic just to have an ACE realism pack, taking ArmA and configging everything properly. smile_o.gif

Right.

I am glad some people will continue to work for bringing something like WGL into Arma and not waiting for Arma2 which will definitely not be release in 2008 in my opinion.

like i said it's all about project lead to pickup the best from various development tree branches ...

Tree branches is sort of a strong association. It's more like, it's up to the project lead to sift through however many offshoot projects of guaranteed quality looking for the odd bit of code that might be useful to him- which could be quite the waste of time considering this code may or may not be compatible with the lead's design document in the first place. You give something an open source license because you believe in the philosophy, not because you're looking for someone to do your work for you. In some situations, OS software development is the way to go- as for a community that is mostly comprised of amateurs and then those few professional level developers who seem to value creative and copyright control of their work, not so much. The lead could spend his time planning or coding- or he could spend his time looking at code that someone else wrote on top of bits and pieces of his own.

Just a bump of support and good wishes (and a bit of a beg for an update *hint, hint, nudge, nudge*)

Keep on trucking Sig and crew! thumbs-up.gif

Quote[/b] ]To me it's a waste of time and energy for the rest of the team

It was so awfully quiet after summer that something like this had to be going on. But I do not blame you, with ArmA 2 looming on the horizon the life span of ArmA stuff is limited.

How far did they manage to work before quitting?

@Törni, reading the vision of BIS, it seems that all ArmA stuff as long as some things are taken into consideration, can simply be used in ArmA2, except some scripting will probably have to be edited due to new ArmA2 AI enhancements and features, but overall I think it's not nececairy to say that devving for ArmA is a waste of time because ArmA2 is coming end next year or even later.

I do hope it is a backward compatible incremental build of the game. Otherwise ArmA 1 was just an in-between game.

I'm glad that the combat behavior of soldiers is on the do-to list. Maybe we finally get to see some infantry which is using terrain effectively as cover and some proper fire&movement tactics.

Still working, time has been cut in half due to recent life events.

I have a beta ACE USMC pack but it's only a retexure and MOS re-classification in the editor. If I had a public server I would put up a public beta. Unfortunatly it's distro on our private FTP which I can't give out.

Currently here is the retexture units v1 we are playing with on our server (before tools), there have been slight changes such as the removal of the protec logo on the side of the helmet (someone came up with the idea already) replaced with ACE logo which looks pretty damn cool also ACE arm patches removed per requested by several members. I'll take some new screenshots later today.

http://usmc.squadengine.com/forums/uploads//post-92-1190925285.jpg

http://usmc.squadengine.com/forums/uploads//post-92-1190927589.jpg

Our UAV project has been abandoned due to other mods working on it and have made more progress. We will probably incorporate it down the line with permission of course.

NOTE: Forgot to mention and I do apologize to Jonny the base MARPAT came from his Marine pack all i did was modify them a bit.. Sorry dude, forgot to give credit where credit is due.. notworthy.gif Sent you a PM Jon

Still working, time has been cut in half due to recent life events.

I have a beta ACE USMC pack but it's only a retexure and MOS re-classification in the editor. If I had a public server I would put up a public beta. Unfortunatly it's distro on our private FTP which I can't give out.

Currently here is the retexture units v1 we are playing with on our server (before tools), there have been slight changes such as the removal of the protec logo on the side of the helmet (someone came up with the idea already) replaced with ACE logo which looks pretty damn cool also ACE arm patches removed per requested by several members. I'll take some new screenshots later today.

http://usmc.squadengine.com/forums/uploads//post-92-1190925285.jpg

http://usmc.squadengine.com/forums/uploads//post-92-1190927589.jpg

Here are some alpha USMC units in progress, currently I'm stuck until I can figure out the skeleton animation stuff. As a texturer I had to take on modeling and scripting so progress is slow as the learning curve is pretty steep.

http://usmc.squadengine.com/forums/uploads//post-87-1192769101.jpg

http://usmc.squadengine.com/forums/uploads//post-87-1192732213.jpg

http://usmc.squadengine.com/forums/uploads//post-87-1193084040.jpg

Our UAV project has been abandoned due to other mods working on it and have made more progress. We will probably incorporate it down the line with permission of course.

You've got PM smile_o.gif

sounds like thats sorted smile_o.gif

i think you should disown Angus and Phaeden, and then invite Killswitch, Jinef and Q to the ACE/WGL team again.

I've talked to Q and I think he is willing to help out, I have to contact the rest of the old WGL team but my time has been limited (just moved). Also a few guys from ShackTac have agreed to help out as well. I guess the next step would to get a new site and fourms up and get everyone together. I have to find someone that is willing to share some webspace with us.. [Hint] whistle.gif

BTW: Pheaden had to evac from SoCal so him and his family are in our prayers.

Semper Gumby

Quote[/b] ]I have to find someone that is willing to share some webspace with us.. [Hint]

Armed-Assault.de/net will gladly do. wink_o.gif

It's easily organized.

Quote[/b] ]I think he is willing to help out

I would love to see the code first, if you don't mind. smile_o.gif

PS: My time is very very limited these days. We will see how this turns out. xmas_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]i think you should disown Angus and Phaeden

Thanks for the support.  huh.gif

Just so everyone knows, it is not by choice that I cannot work on ACE.  If I had my way, I would spend a crap load of time on it, but since I live in a real world, one in which I have to work and pay bills, I simply cannot drop everything to work on a game.  I really like ArmA and spent over 250 hours on ACE, but I simply could not do justice to my real life requirements and still work on ACE.  For those of you that know me, I am not someone that just starts and quits whenever I want.  When I worked on WGL, I was a college student (for the most part) that did not have many real world committments.  My work did not require my attention outside of the 9-5 hours.  Now, 7 years later, my work requires a hell of a lot more than 9-5.  I also have a family and the regular run of the mill "adult" issues to deal with.  I am not making excuses, I am merely trying to explain.  Hell, I even stepped down as commander of the USMC Warriors, a position I held for years.

When I started ACE, Angus came back into the picture and wanted to, essentially, start it over like WGL in the "old days."  Q, and a lot of other people that had worked very hard on WGL (esp. after WGL 4), were essentially handed their hat.  Angus made it clear that it was his way or the highway.  Most choose the highway.  

Several months later, Angus disappeared completely.  While he and I did have conversations and disagreements about the handling of those people, he won out.  If those that had been burned by Angus, and second hand by me, would consider working on ACE, I would admit my error, apologize, and welcome them with open arms.  ACE is far too large for me to work on - especially at the helm.

ACE has the potential to be better and bigger than WGL ever was.  Many of the core options are already done (or are at least a work in progress).  

Sig has the skills and motivation to do everything with equal or superior quality.  He is a good man that has more time to do this than I do.  

So, in short, I am sorry I dropped the ball.  I will help out here and there, but for all practical purposes, my modding days are done.   sad_o.gif

I thank everyone that has or is a supporter of WGL and/or ACE (and not necessarily a supporter of me as I have not always been a great role model).

If only we could be one big happy family and play video games killing our fellow man, all together. biggrin_o.gif

Seriously though, cheers for your work on WGL, I enjoy it immensly still. Priorities change life moves on. I will continue to keep an eye on this thread. No doubt the talents of the remaining members will create something that those of us who loved WGL will....er...love. inlove.gif

No one is putting this into question.

However it is very hard to understand, how you and the other

USMC people (which are involved in ACE at this point) are so

resistant to let other people help you..

Whereas you were even asking for that..

Either it is unwillingness or you guys inherit the total havoc or

just don't care.

Several people offered you help and you failed again and again.

Even the simplest stuff seems impossible.

On the other hand you guys are saying you are lacking time or

are in process of moving your house etc..

Instead you can see people post new work in the public part

of your forum...

Makes me speechless. I fail to understand it. huh.gif

After reading the public forums i have to agree with Q.

There seems to be quite a lot of people willing to help, you just have to get in contact with them.

Perhaps this project could be alive again.

I really hope and wish it wink_o.gif

I am not trying to make excuses or ask for anyone's forgiveness. Q and the large number of others that worked so hard on WGL 5+ have every right to be annoyed and angry.

I can only speak for myself when I say that having more people working on a project does not always equate with more work being done. Coordination more people requires more time. I was hoping that Angus was stepping into that role, but real life pulled him away. I was left with a lot of promises but little else. I also knew that once summer ended my time would be limited (it turns out to be even more limited than I predicted). As a result, I didn't want a very large crew as I knew I would spend more time coordinating than coding. Again, this is no excuse but is merely the reason.

I know that Sig is good to go but I won't speak for him how much he wants a large team.

Q, you did great work for WGL 5+ and I thank you for your organization and help with setting up and managing the "debugging" route. WGL 5+ would not have happened without you (not to mention all the other people that worked so hard on it). In truth, it was WGL 5+ that was the most popular - this, in small part, was a result of the word of mouth from previous versions, but in large part because the WGL 5+ team brought in more technical skill and incorporated a lot more of what the user wanted.

I recommend that anyone who is interested in helping make ACE come alive, contact Sig.

Good luck with your RL Phaeden, sad to see you pulled away. At least for me, please see any signs of frustration or negative comments as a sign of praise, as old timers know the quality of work and the reasonable (read: high) expectations that could be had with this team. Take care of your family, and have a good one. smile_o.gif

Thanks. I hope one day, after I win the lottery, that I will be able to get back into all of this.

I also REALLY hope that ArmA 2 works with older files.