Sign in to follow this  
Exsosus

Advanced Combat Environment

Thanks for your input everyone.

To bring this back on topic a bit:

I am working on ACE every day (and every night) and will hopefully have the first Alpha ready by this weekend.  This means that certain people and groups of people (i.e. USMC Warriors and ShackTac) will be able to find all the wonderful bugs that will undoubtedly be present.  

The first public release of ACE will likely include:

American and Russian forces (with the possibility of Australia and North Korea also being released)

Infantry (all standard load-outs and “common†infantry types/roles)

Soft Vehicles (basically all wheeled vehicles that can be seen on the modern battlefield)

Armor

Rotor Aircraft

Fixed Wing Aircraft

Fatigue System (which simulates fatigue and basic psychology)

Basic Medical System (bandages, morphine, IVs – will explain more later)

Audio Effects (will hopefully get in all new sounds for everything)

Visual Effects (this will take longer, but eventually everything will be replaced with more realistic visual effects)

Basic Graphic Interface (just a simple overhaul of the default GUI (will update when able))

What will probably not make it into the first public release:

Advanced Medical System

Crew-served weapons (machine guns, mortars, artillery, naval guns)

Logistics System (will explain more later)

Updated GUI

Advanced Countermeasures

Thermal System

*and other things which are still more in my head than on the screen

My goal with the first public release is to provide end-users with a comprehensive and engaging simulation of modern combat which contains no “show-stoppersâ€.  I want to make it so that people can d/l it, install it, join a server and be amazed.

As far as “terrorists†are concerned, it is likely that there will eventually be “pre-made†‘insurgent’ classes (such as IRA, Al Quesadilla, etc).  These classes will not have any special powers or anything like that, they will just have a physical model, carry typical weapons, have typical accuracy, etc.  You’ll note that I said “eventually.† There are about three and a half million other things that need to take place before I can work on anything like that.  The argument that “it would only take an hour or so†is valid, but I would rather spend that hour working on configs, scripts, effects, and testing (not to mention actually getting to play every now and then).  As was stated, ACE is about modern force on force combat.  

I will update this thread every few days with new information.

Very very great. We all know what immense workload this is. So, thank you.

Thanks for your input everyone.

To bring this back on topic a bit:

I am working on ACE every day (and every night) and will hopefully have the first Alpha ready by this weekend. This means that certain people and groups of people (i.e. USMC Warriors and ShackTac) will be able to find all the wonderful bugs that will undoubtedly be present. 

The first public release of ACE will likely include:

American and Russian forces (w etc.

Looking really nice.

Hope it will be available to the community soon.

Anyway, thx in andvance for all the hours/days/weeks of hard work. I have no doubt that this modification will be as great as WGL was.

Also, a minor suggestion. Is it possible to be able to "detrack" and armoured vehicle? If not, it would be great if you could implement it.

eg. Firing an AT weapon at a t72's tracks will destroy the track and immobilize the vehicle while the main gun is still operative.

gz, vulcan (sry for typo's and bad grammar tounge2.gif)

Quote[/b] ]Also, a minor suggestion. Is it possible to be able to "detrack" and armoured vehicle? If not, it would be great if you could implement it.

eg. Firing an AT weapon at a t72's tracks will destroy the track and immobilize the vehicle while the main gun is still operative.

That is already implemented in default ArmA.

Advanced Countermeasures - do you know if you will be implementing your own version or using the Mando MMA v2.2 technologies?

Regardles of which please describe more about this cool feature.

Logistics system? as in how supplies and ammo get to the soldiers? That sounds really complex notworthy.gif

Something that just crossed my mind when listening to the BHD movie theme song.

Will ACE have infrared "grenades"? A device emitting IR pulses which can be tracked by friendly pilots. Used to assing targets for CAS.

Don't know if it is hard to do, no real editting experience here.

gz, Vulcan

As far as “terrorists†are concerned, it is likely that there will eventually be “pre-made†‘insurgent’ classes (such as IRA, Al Quesadilla, etc).

IRA, as in the terrorists in Northern Ireland? Would'nt you need the British forces if you are adding them, to fight them? And a map of Northern Ireland?

Other than that, nice work. Good luck with your mod, it looks super-duper!

Logistics system? as in how supplies and ammo get to the soldiers? That sounds really complex  notworthy.gif

Logistics system? Just being able to pickup and load/unload an ammo crate into a vehicle would be amazing, but a whole system?!? On pins and needles Ace team! yay.gif

I would like to critize something. I don't know how many else feels like this, but here is comes nevertheless:

I have nothing against ACE, but already with WGL it felt, quite hmm... lame to advertice it with superheavily used realism- and simulation-words (simulation is somewhat okay but realism...). It felt like: "Are you guys serious that war is videogame?".

I left mod untouched after few playtime. It had/has potential, i give credit for that, but those too much used superlatives irritated me too much (couldn't see that WGL would have been so much more "realistic" than rest of the OFP mods, so it felt too cocky and arrogant)... Just to give you my opinion. Most likely you don't care and you have all the legiment to do so (it's your project, not mine).

Well next week i set my foot to (or into wink_o.gif ) marsh-soil for light infantry exercise, maybe i come back with bit less "old-and-angry-fart" attitude. Lack of sleep or food, beign wet (and smokes/matches are wet also crazy_o.gif ), bitten by mosquitos and having un-clean skin might make me appreciate comforts of computer wargames again. It has been too long...

Quote[/b] ]real world weapons, vehicles, equipment, and tactics

Will suppression/morale get implented at some phase? And what you mean with tactics? Is this for players or AI or maybe for both?

And to end: Good luck with project.

all i want is a CCIP for aircraft, but may be too much to ask for here really

As far as “terrorists†are concerned, it is likely that there will eventually be “pre-made†‘insurgent’ classes (such as IRA, Al Quesadilla, etc).

IRA, as in the terrorists in Northern Ireland? Would'nt you need the British forces if you are adding them, to fight them? And a map of Northern Ireland?

Yes, I think the boyos of the RA are well out of place here.

Quite apart from the fact that you'd need a N. Ireland island

and British crown forces, I wouldn't advise you to do these

unless you fancy a deluge of the most astonishingly bigoted

and offensive crap on your forums (speaking from bitter

experience as an ex-Northern Ireland-modder here. We were

scrupulously, clinically, anally impartial but still it made no

difference confused_o.gif  ).  

I have lots of information on 1970s and 80s Irish paramilitaries,

though, if you do decide you want to include them. PM me if

you need any help.

As far as terrorist/insurgent classes go, all that would be needed is some fairly generic arabic types in a odd mixture of civilian and military clothing, and perhaps a similar pack for generic "Western" terrorists (perhaps with balaclavas). These two group types could represent everything from Taliban fighters, Iraqi resistance, AQ insurgents to IRA/loyalists paramilitaries, ETA, Croat/Bosnian/Serb paramilitaries, etc.

BUT.... I'd much rather the ACE mod team got on with more important business - simulating modern conventional warfare.

I'd love to see some UK forces stuff in the future, but not to simulate roadside bombings in Co. Armagh.... just to balance out the predominantly US/Russian equipment and forces in game.

Can't wait to try it out.

I agree with some of the other comments above. I think the ACE mod should focus on modern combat between real armies. And not to even bother with "terrorists".

Other than that, Im really looking forward to the finished product.

I hope you'll tweak the AI to the max. Especially the engagement ranges and proper values in cfgweapons, as things in the main config are quite easy o edit.

good luck

You may be interested that I tested with a modified M60A3 a bit and managed to make a Patton whos shells will ricochet off sloped front armor bits of the Abrams the majority of the time but not 100% of the time. I can go into further details if you'd like but it seems ArmA has a full armor penetration system already in place that was never really used.

Quote[/b] ]Also, a minor suggestion. Is it possible to be able to "detrack" and armoured vehicle? If not, it would be great if you could implement it.

That is already implemented in default ArmA.

I think misfitko meant animation of tracks breaking.

i so say "make terrorists", or even.. "wait for someone to make good models then include them".

Like someone said, only need two types of soldiers, "middleeastern" and western.

For western you can also make "asian faces", use same model but in config (Great new thing in arma) tweak so it only use the asian faces, or only the black faces.

No special vehicles, no special weapons.. just some great terrorists.

You may be interested that I tested with a modified M60A3 a bit and managed to make a Patton whos shells will ricochet off sloped front armor bits of the Abrams the majority of the time but not 100% of the time. I can go into further details if you'd like but it seems ArmA has a full armor penetration system already in place that was never really used.

THAT's what I want to hear. Placebo said in one of his posts before release that there will be many things that are in the engine, just not implemented. Resting or steadying a weapon was called out by name. This is some research that's worth investing in.. Nice find!

Video of shell deflections here. This took me much longer than I should because at the range where the Pattons gun using 80s era export ammo (What I assumed a smaller nation like South Sahrani having) cannot penetrate the T-72 well the gun became fairly inaccurate and very hard to hit with. That and these values weren't intended to be very realistic but mainly show off the effect. Video was just uploaded so it may be a minute or two before its available. Sorry if the shells in the final test are difficult to see at youtubes fairly low res, but it deflects off the front turret and goes up. Its also running in slow motion if the shells seem to be moving slow :P

Now to experiment with front/side/rear armor selections.

Pretty low quality, but you'll see where things currently are at.

That was all AI? They seem considerably smarter. smile_o.gif

I wish the ArmA bullet snap wasn't so prominent. You can't hear it that well unless you just missed taking one...

Weapon sounds are perfect. Don't change a thing.

To everyone - please don't make the next 30 posts about changing a particular sound that you once heard on utube that was more realistic then the one they used.

( tounge2.gif I have to keep myself out of the sound threads on this forum from now on).

Cool firefight vid, The AI seem more reactive, not just standing around like they are saying "Bob, get up dude. We're on duty. And get that red stuff off of you." tounge2.gif

Still working away over here.. 0418 and still at it