Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

Operation Flashpoint 2 officially announced

My money's on CM at the moment, considering the barely playable state Arma was in when released, I've lost a great deal of faith in BIS to say the least.

CM seem to be a lot more focused on what they want to get done too, compared to some Spanish/African mishmash Island etc etc.

I agree to a large part to Terpentin's; chops and others opinion.

I'm so sorry to say this, but i'll now sign-up in the Codemasters Forum too, because i will definitely only buy one of those two games - the better one of course!

Edit: Just watched again.... but did you see the love for detail (tumbling) when the Javelin Rocket flies out of the launcher?

Man this is awesome, also the woods and the scenery looking great.

Not to talk about the very great looking building destruction

Regards, Christian

I broke down the video.

Research:

--Reportage Photography

--Documentary News Coverage

--Gritty blockbuster war films

Authenticity:

--400GB of data gathered

--Real world reference data

--Sent researches to the physical island to research info and imagery

--Sabots fire with effects that are realistic, in that the explosion few milliseconds after a round has left a tank's turret for example are sped up and give an ultra realistic experience.

--Weapon systems on vehicles are realistic in that they deploy the way they should.

--Weapons all faithfully recreated to enhance realism and feel.

weaponsfb5.jpg

The Island:

--220km2 of terrain (or 134miles squared - of land, not including water)

--Wide range of terrain types:

----Swamps

----Grasslands

----Forests

----Rocky Mountains

--Crumbling soviet era architecture

-- Nothing on the island was designed by mission designers, they are all real geographical places/locations.

Traveling from end to end on the island:

--Takes 4.5 hours to walk

--Takes 2 hours driving (in reasonably fast jeep)

--Takes 20 minutes to fly in the fastest jet

In-Game Footage/Info:

--Video:

----No shaders are running/turned on (Hence no shadows)

--Info:

----Multi-staged/functioned building distruction.

----Multi-staged/functioned vehicle distruction/states

----Multi-staged/functioned object distruction/states

----If something blown up during the campaign, it will stay that way throughout the entire campaign.

----Heavier weapons have to be carried, no magic pockets, they must be assembled.

----Over 70 weapons in the game (Reference: Arma has 30)

----Over 50 vehicle in the game

----Player has to learn how individual vehicles are used and their roles

----Terrain types effect each vehicle differently

----Doors and hatches on vehicles are opened before entry/exiting

----Animations for getting in/out of vehicles

----Vehicles fitted with latest technology, all the way up to the wars in Afaganistan (Ex: UH60 Infared Baffle)

There you have it. Now we have in-game footage, now I'm happy and have a lot less to worry about in terms of how the final game actually looks.

I'm sold, nothing else to add till next year really.

If these bastards could accurately simulate MBT/AFV/IFV gunnery they will certainly steal my heart.   inlove.gif

yeah...I'll try it, that's for sure. I wonder what about helos...

Little camera footage, some weapons, animations and shootings. That didn't convince me to say "I'm on Codemasters side" its only the developers presentation of a game. Let's wait and see whats behind the curtain. Maybe cross fingers that both OFP2 and ArmA2 don't turn more into arcade shooter gameplay.

Nice work there Victor. Makes OFP2 an even better prospect when laid out like that. Were I to have any potential concerns about OFP2, it would be the modding side of things. I hope it'll be at least as modable as OFP.

Indeed , moddability is key ...

Dirt at least is quite moddable , although i do not know if you can create new terrain.

Nice work there Victor. Makes OFP2 an even better prospect when laid out like that. Were I to have any potential concerns about OFP2, it would be the modding side of things. I hope it'll be at least as modable as OFP.

Indeed I wonder about the modding side of things as well. I hope that, if there is scripting, that code is allowed, too, so that good mods including total-conversions are possible, such as with the Source engine. Giving modders creative freedom is a great thing.

From what I've seen of OFP2 so far, the thing I like the most is the dry, washed out color scheme. It makes the environment and models look quite real.

Little camera footage, some weapons, animations and shootings. That didn't convince me to say "I'm on Codemasters side" its only the developers presentation of a game. Let's wait and see whats behind the curtain. Maybe cross fingers that both OFP2 and ArmA2 don't turn more into arcade shooter gameplay.

huh.gif You didn't have to choose a side, just see if the game is ok for you and buy it. I bought armed assault and for sure will buy arma2, and if flashpoint2 have a decent gameplay and a little modding community i will buy it too.

I broke down the video.

Yep, we're screwed. Being a hardcore BI-fan it's still pretty hard to refuse that Codemasters got the idea.

OMFG!  thumbs-up.gif  notworthy.gif

No more arcade talk about OFPII yea?

What I meant with mention RO(previous post) was the atmosphere of "ugliness"/dirty kind of feeling, instead of the Arma-sunny beach-prettiness feeling I have when playing it.(this will prob change with Arma II thank you!wink_o.gif

Nope got it.

Wow that looks bloody impressive, i J'adore the tank firing effects

After watching the E3 presentation on [OFP2.info] ( icon_rolleyes.gif ) I am shocked by the level of detail they've put in (among others) the animations and destruction system. Still, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was looking (even more) amazing too...

We'll see what happens.

Why did they take it off gametrailers? Is this something Codemasters didn't want the public to see? Why not?! It's awesome stuff!

It looks great, BI employees must be shaking in their pants.

We as realism oriented gamers are in a very lucky situation now, where two big projects are competing for our attention through competition. I'm pretty sure ill buy both smile_o.gif

At last, something a bit more tangible than the cgi Trailer.

Yep, it looks like Arma 2 will have some serious competition. But you don't really need to take sides on this one. Both can actually be good...

For a start, Arma 2 grass looks better, more dense, and it will be based on a real location too... actually most of what the guy said can be applied to Arma 2... and both games are still 6 months to 1 year ahead. A lot can happen.

Arma 2 engine seems pretty capable, but BIS may not have the financial resources to create all the content to match... time will tell.

Quote[/b] ]Takes 4.5 hours to walk

There's something wrong with those numbers. Jeeps can drive more than twice as fast as even a running soldier and aircraft (even helicopters) should be flying much more than 13 times as fast as a human !

Maybe the jeep has to take more detours  tounge2.gif

And it was "The fastest aircraft" the word jet was not mentioned.

Damn this game looks promising. I had my doubts but not anymore really.

BIS will have hard time competing with this if they want to sell to other than fans. I like how they have added animations to everything, something I'd really like to see in Arma2 too (though I doubt that'll happen). Hopefully the game will be fully moddable and will run on medium end machines too.

Quote[/b] ]Takes 4.5 hours to walk

There's something wrong with those numbers.  Jeeps can drive more than twice as fast as even a running soldier and aircraft (even helicopters) should be flying much more than 13 times as fast as a human !

actually these numbers seem wrong for more than just this reason. To put it simply these numbers would hold (at least for an A10 traveling at aprox 650 km/h) only if the LENGTH of the island was 220Km which is impossible since he said that the area is 220km2 (please do correct my math if i am wrong).

I hope somebody from codemasters would follow up on this  confused_o.gif

I think the presenter got a little ahead of himself, it did seem winded and nervous. If you listen (even just at the beginning) he was stumbling over his words: "I'm the lead designer of operat..., operation Flashpoint 2", he sped up a lot, and sounded like he was talking to a girl for the first time. (No offense to the guy, he rocks!wink_o.gif

Some wallpapers I made:

I couldn't find any, so I made one or two myself: (1920x1200)

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/8717/23962154hb6.jpg

Preview:

19892895iy3.jpg

Wallpaper 2: (1920x1200)

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/4073/wallpaperpsd2copybw1.jpg

Preview:

84104477gl0xd9.jpg