Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

Operation Flashpoint 2 officially announced

I wonder when there will be real ingame screenshots, not those successive staged, photoshopped and renders ones that tell nothing at all about that game.

And what exactly are those troops in all those renders ? other than the usual m4/m16 variations, i don't recognize the camos (it seems a mix of some bizarre variant of multicam with some part of acu colored in green and some other unidentified leafs)

When people call their bluff.

"Winter 2008 a spokesman said".

ORLY?

If they are aiming for a winter deadline then they should have enough to show acutal ingame screenshots by now. But nope. Showing vids of the gameplay is also a dream far away.

I wonder when there will be real ingame screenshots, not those successive staged, photoshopped and renders ones that tell nothing at all about that game.

And what exactly are those troops in all those renders ? other than the usual m4/m16 variations, i don't recognize the camos (it seems a mix of some bizarre variant of multicam with some part of acu colored in green and some other unidentified leafs)

iirc, (so take it as it is) I read somewhere that the released pictures were implied to be 'concept art' so that the design team could get a feel for what their targeted objectives are. If that is the case, then that is a very concerning - for them - attitude.

seriously i would laugh so much if all this time we thought they were renders, but they were actual screenshots.

Naa.. i seriously doubt that tounge2.gif

I have a confirmation from a local game dealer that OFP2 is scheduled for Fall 2008. Hmm...

If these are screenshots, the viewdistance is lower than Turok64. Ten meters and then fog?

I don`t think that they are, all are renders that represent "target shots" as they call them in the sense it is what they are working towards.

At least that is what they have said.

And about the fog thing, I don`t think you have to worry.

Maybe it just is really foggy tounge2.gif , I say it is part of the atmosphere.

I`m sure the viewdistance is acceptable, there are other "target shots" that look better in that respect.

Especially one with a tank overlooking a lake or coastline.

I have a confirmation from a local game dealer that OFP2 is scheduled for Fall 2008. Hmm...

If that turns out to be true then it will be one of most "quiet" games I have seen coming out on the market, especially thinking about the fact that it is indeed a big title for Codemasters since they have said that they have never had a bigger team working on a game before.

They better start making PR soon if they aim for a fall 2008 release.

On the other hand though as I have mentioned before it will be nice for once to see alot of info and screens, videos etc from a game knowing it is only a few months away rather then the usual 18+ as is more normal.

So in that sence you can create a rapid interest in a title and get instant payback, and of course the brand name doesn`t hurt either I guess.

Personally though I expect a 2009 release.

The word is a next Winter release, so end of 2008/ start of 2009, probably slipping to mid or end of 2009 (I expect).

Above: I agree with what you mean about a quiet release.

Mabe they will start with an advertising campaign where the television advertisement is only 2 seconds long, blink and you'll miss it. whistle.gif

Codemasters is two brothers I thought?

They have been releasing computer games titles to limited success over the last 20 years. Their games used to cost a fiver each.

I don't think they are exactly a massive multinational. I don't even think they are publicly listed, just a local family business.

I don't remember them having any other best sellers besides Flashpoint.

They have been beset by financial difficulties in the last few years.

Erm. No. They started as two bedroom programmers in the 80s but then grew out of that. Codemasters does have a lot more devs than two brothers and they most likely have more devs than BIS. They probably have more money than BIS.

They are no local family business. Where did you get that idea? BIS wouldn't go to a local family buisness to publish OFP. Jeez. They aren't a massive multinational like EA but they are bigger than BIS.

And they have at least one other title which you surely know: Colin McRae Rally.

Codemasters is a father and son team. Richard and David Darling.

They had been publishing computer games for over a decade before Operation Flashpoint released.

I used to buy their games for a fiver too.

I played them on ZX Spectrum, BBC Micro and Amiga.

Given the state of the companies BIS got to publish ArmA, I don't think comparisons to EA are altogether warranted.

Operation Flashpoint had almost zero penetration of the U.S. market for years after launch.

If you're aiming at the owners, then yes, two people do own it, but there's a lot more people employed by Codemasters than 2.

Quote[/b] ]Operation Flashpoint had almost zero penetration of the U.S. market for years after launch.

Precisely, in the US market, but dont forget that europe exists.

I believe that the majority of sales of OFP were in Europe.

so no, there wouldnt be a dent in the US market because most sales were not made there.

Quote[/b] ]Operation Flashpoint had almost zero penetration of the U.S. market for years after launch.

Precisely, in the US market, but dont forget that europe exists.

I believe that the majority of sales of OFP were in Europe.

so no, there wouldnt be a dent in the US market because most sales were not made there.

They made millions of sales in Europe.

GOTY sized ones.

Europe is currently 60% of the PC game market.

At the time however, it wasn't. The U.S. was.

Given that the game was clearly targeted at the U.S. market, things could have perhaps gone better.

If you're aiming at the owners, then yes, two people do own it, but there's a lot more people employed by Codemasters than 2.

I stand corrected mate, they sold the company last summer.

Family business no more.

I wonder how the console versions going to play-out.

You can bet it will be the same as the pc version. I don't really see them making different versions and keeping the same projected time line. I am definitely prepared for a new and probably different experience. Here is hoping E3 in July will show us some good stuffs huh? Three months to go. pistols.gif

sorry but Game dealers dont know jack! biggrin_o.gif

sorry but Game dealers dont know jack!  biggrin_o.gif

Here we go again, the great confusion on who makes what.

Both Bohemia and Codemasters should get a grip and do some extensive PR-work, so that people know we are talking about 2 games and not 1. Plus adding their games on the map. Which, I would say, haven't been all that successful so far.

I just hope it is better than what we got. unlike most of you I can't waste an entire day to try and finish 1 Evolution round nor do I have 20+ friends to do these epic battles so the whole concept is lost on me and my friends.

I just hope it is better than what we got. unlike most of you I can't waste an entire day to try and finish 1 Evolution round nor do I have 20+ friends to do these epic battles so the whole concept is lost on me and my friends.

Then why dont play the SP Evolution. Problem sorted.

Regarding those screenshots, the thing I love about BIS is that they release actual screenshots, showing how the engine is, knowing the screenshots are untouched and genuine. Not like that rubbish from other developers/publishers who provide us with eyecandy in the form of rendered movies (like the OFP2 one) and screenshots heavily retouched by Photoshopped.

Which I can understand in a way, if a game looks good people will more likely buy it. It all comes down to making a proper game, if the game looks/plays bad then it won't be a succes, regardless if the trailers/screenshots look ace or not.

Yours,

It all comes down to making a proper game, if the game looks/plays bad then it won't be a succes, regardless if the trailers/screenshots look ace or not.

Maybe for free-thinking gamers, but some of the stuff Ubi is pumping out is full of only glitter and bugs, yet they're selling through the roof.

Really, these target renders are just for giving an idea of what the game might look like. They seem to be mainly for preview articles so they can have some imagery in them rather than just text. Codies aren't exactly throwing them our way and saying, "Look at these amazing screens of our game!" It's concept art. Every game has concept art. No one seems to go off at concept art for any other game.

It's concept art. Every game has concept art. No one seems to go off at concept art for any other game.

Hey, this is 'the church of BIS/ArmA' ... (not allowed to say nice things about others, heck they even slash their OWN brothers here ... Elite anyone???)

I know what I`m buying at the end of the year..OFP2 and not another bugfull crappy patched ArmA(2) xmas_o.gif