Sign in to follow this  
imported_bör

Operation Flashpoint 2 officially announced

Since the E3 is closed for puplic audiences now, the GC is anyway more important smile_o.gif

(And in my range biggrin_o.gif)

Will this years GC be held in Leipzsch or Cologne?  huh.gif

I think they switched to Cologne since it has a better infrastructure.

Will this years GC be held in Leipzsch or Cologne? huh.gif

I wasnt sure anymore, some fools on hx3 fooled me into believing that COL GC is planned for ´09 instead of this year crazy_o.gif

If its really gonna be in cologne i hereby announce the first ever official "punch burns in the face" event : tounge2.gif

Will this years GC be held in Leipzsch or Cologne?  huh.gif

I wasnt sure anymore, some fools on hx3 fooled me into believing that COL GC is planned for ´09 instead of this year crazy_o.gif

If its really gonna be in cologne i hereby announce the first ever official "punch burns in the face" event : tounge2.gif

All right, I just looked it up, it is still in Leipzig and will move to Cologne next year...

Damn, I always thought they switched one year earlier...

Guess BIS is not at this expo or only in stealth mode wink_o.gif

E3 in Los Angeles (from July 15-17) Media & Business Summit 2008

but imho they will be at:

Games Convention (GC) in Leipzig (20 - 24 August)

I guess E3 doesn't matter any more. wink_o.gif Activision, Vivendi, and now Lucasarts have declined to renew their membership in the industry group that ran E3 into the ground. Sounds like a good idea that BIS is not wasting money on that dead-end.

lol Mr Burns & k@voven - two drunken fools didn't read and follow the links... owned by beer biggrin_o.gif

Activision, Vivendi, and now Lucasarts have declined to renew their membership in the industry group that ran E3 into the ground.

You forgot id, and now Crave.

lol Mr Burns & k@voven - two drunken fools didn't read and follow the links...  owned by beer biggrin_o.gif

Oh lol, it seems like I somehow ignored your links... how embarassing XD help.gif

I've got the August PC Gamer scans from a friendly source. I'm rather pissed - FARKING renders AGAIN. Codemasters is beginning to shit me, first DiRT fails to work on my uber system, then this. Grrr. But the renders look nice, and "apparently" they're going to try their best to make the game live up to them. icon_rolleyes.gif I'm sure we'll see in time.

Scans (Courtesy of Fullforce)

PS. Someone kill me if these aren't the right ones or have been uploaded before, please. Credits go to Fullforce c/o ShackTac.

It seems as if they're aware of the massive scale needed and complexity it brings, I think they might not make this into a CoD4 clone. This read just brought my hopes up.

OFP/BF2 hybrid with a touch of copycatting (the AH-1Z).

Well, they've surely been watching these forums since it contains... kinda every thing someone has demanded as eye candy.

Such a drag that Codemasters gives away a few bits of info now and then, and BI gives almost only by external sources in the Czech media.

Give the journalist something to bite on and they will in most cases get an interrest in it. And if you got PR the publishers might get a better

interrest in it as well. It's double bonus! Get some info out there, BI!  thumbs-up.gif

In my opinion the text emphasises OFP 2 a bit too much... Many described things were already done by BI with ArmA and I don't expect the graphics to be THAT good.

Anyway, the story is really nice! (*hint for BI*)

The graphics are based in the same engine as DiRT and the new GRID game, they're pretty damn impressive.

Story is a bit too fabulous - how chinese forces could attack these little Kiska island without beeing detetected by japanese forces and of course US forces?

Long way from China and so close to US. icon_rolleyes.gif

Kiska Island (wiki)

I had hoped to see some in-game screens so I am a bit disapointed, but everything else sounds really great smile_o.gif

Story is a bit too fabulous - how chinese forces could attack these little Kiska island without beeing detetected by japanese forces and of course US forces?

Long way from China and so close to US. icon_rolleyes.gif

Kiska Island (wiki)

You got it wrong.

The island the Chinese take is SKIRA. However the terrain at Skira was not good for the game so the used KISKA's terrain instead.

Hmm, CM want customers that buys a pig in a poke. Replacing Kiska with Skira because its "isn't interesting enough to set a wargame on". Lame excuse. Let's wait and see whats next.

So they should have used the the original Skira terrain despite not being adequate for the GAMES* purposes?

* Capitalised for emphasis

Well, seems like its still too early in development to show off anything interesting. At least they manage to blow the expectations sky high. tounge2.gif

I've tried out the Colin McRae:DiRT demo... The graphical engine is impressive. Other than the way overdone bloom and HDR (which isn't optional), it looks quite realistic. The latest ArmA 2 screens don't look as good. It's the lighting that makes the difference, DiRT has a much better light-dark range than ArmA. Unless under clear daylight conditions, ArmA always looks terribly bland - nice textures and detailed models can't overcome a poor lighting engine. IMO a lighting overhaul will be needed to look anywhere near as good as DiRT.

As for Performance, on my computer ArmA runs slightly better on highest settings (viewdistance excluded). It depends on the situation however, ArmA gets a huge fps hit when looking into trees/bushes - DiRT does not, and the vegetation looks natural enough IMO.

A few details: In dirt there are no apparent "grass rings" like in ArmA (they seem to use grass LODs effectively). Also, the grass matches textures below quite well, unlike in Arma. The LOD morphing in DiRT is instant (like OFP), while abrupt, I find it is not as distracting as the gradual morphing ArmA uses. Shallow water rendering is pretty bad in both ArmA and DiRT, though ArmA does it beautifully when far out at sea IMO. Shadows seem to be rendered from further away too in DiRT - lack of distant shadows is a contributing factor to ArmA's visual blandness.

As far as gameplay goes, if Codies don't stray from OFP1, it would be really difficult to screw up. With a quality campaign OFP2 will be a real winner. We'll see what happens, I guess.

did i just see something like "ah ~! screw russia and middle east ! we will do war with the china ~ they are evil!"

confused_o.gif

I had hoped to see some in-game screens so I am a bit disapointed, but everything else sounds really great  smile_o.gif

Look at those pictures and you'll see some polygons and a bit of lighting interpolations here and there. I guess those are at least ingame models in a sh0pped environment. DIRT and GRID are looking hefty, so i expect the same for OFP2, what of course does not mean to have the same flexibility in it as with OFP1 and ArmA. Shiny graphics unfortunately often mean to dumb down the game's mechanics. However, more games of this genre means more fun for us and the better one will just claim the crown of the genre that OFP/ArmA holds since 2k1. It's that simple wink_o.gif