Sign in to follow this  
fabrizio_t

Patch 1.05 impressions

I like the changes I've seen so far regarding AI etc. but unfortunately I losed quite a bit performance (as well as degraded graphics) on my rig when going from 1.02 > 1.05.

My computer is not the fastest around and it could be driver related. I'm using nVidia 77.77 with my GF6600 GT 256 MB and that worked fine in 1.02 (not great but OK).

I noticed that the bushes looked much worse now close up (I had no big fps problems with them in 1.02) and that the LOD/texture changes on vegetation (especially obvious on trees) acted kinda strange, they kinda "melted" in/ out when zooming in/out of scope. Also saw an old "OFP issue" back now, when looking at soldiers in scope at distance their head/hair textures/models blends/flickers thru their helmets (easiest to spot on east soldiers helmet), pic below. Anyone else experience this?

ArmA_105_issue_01.jpg

Haven't tried MP yet but been informed by a friend that the Sprocket specific MP CTD's seems to be cured smile_o.gif

Overall it looks like a good patch and AI issues and SP/MP stability has priority over graphics, just hope I can get back my performance and graphic quality somehow. Thank you BIS!

Can anyone with a nVidia GF 6600-6800 recommend a good driver to try with 1.05?

/KC

I do have this problem too.

Seems that the patch 1.05 increased the problem.

Now after about 10 minutes of game play this happens to me. I had the same problem with the patch 1.02, but it took much more time.

I do have a 6800 with 128MB.

And im playing with everythin very low.

I am really struggling with the new floating iron sights!!!!

When moving they are great, at last you can fire on the move, but when you are static it is very 'swimmy' and imprecise to aim, the sights drift waaaaay past their target then back again.... I actually started to feel dizzy at one point!!!!

Nice idea, but IMO the weapon should feel much tighter to the shoulder when the player is stationary.

Mandrake

I am really struggling with the new floating iron sights!!!!

When moving they are great, at last you can fire on the move, but when you are static it is very 'swimmy' and imprecise to aim, the sights drift waaaaay past their target then back again.... I actually started to feel dizzy at one point!!!!

Nice idea, but IMO the weapon should feel much tighter to the shoulder when the player is stationary.

Mandrake

I think it's a good idea, but what I think they should have done is when you use right click to zoom in when using the iron sights it moves from the floating view to the locked view of 1.04 and below.

That way, you have the floating view for close up stuff and when you want to do normal (longish range) shooting you then have the proper locked looking through the iron sights view.

Impressions =

Good - no more CTD so far...

Bad - awful performance, hd paging and jerkiness unplayable

I am very close to giving up on this game now and I was a huge fan of OFP.

banghead.gif

Overall I am impressed,

Initially I had the problem of no primary weapon after patching but a clean install and patch got me back on the straight and narrow.

The first thing that grabbed my attention was the smooth flowing terrain when fying around (trying out the SU-34), before the patch I got really bad framerates etc etc.

The way the grass drops and disappears when the player drops down is pretty bad in my opinon, I know people like the fact it makes visibility better but, as already mentioned ArmA tries to simulate the real world so, if you decide to take cover in long grass then prepare to lose visibility! This so far has been the major minus for me, one thing I wish BIS had not implemented.

overall im a happy bunny, and at least now all ArmA owners, EU and International are singing from the same songsheet.

Thanks BIS

Zip is getting seriously old now, dump it and use something better like 7-zip.

So what if zip is getting old? It is one of the most widely, if not the most widely, used compressing formats and nearly everybody has winzip or winrar and windows xp can unzip files. That's why they used ZIP.

For those of you with mouse lag problems: turn off vsync.

I like the patch, I have the same if not better preformance as before.

Zip is getting seriously old now, dump it and use something better like 7-zip.

So what if zip is getting old? It is one of the most widely, if not the most widely, used compressing formats and nearly everybody has winzip or winrar and windows xp can unzip files. That's why they used ZIP.

For those of you with mouse lag problems: turn off vsync.

I like the patch, I have the same if not better preformance as before.

Did you read my post in full?

Winrar can also decompress 7-zip files.

AND the patch compressed using 7-zip is 50MB SMALLER than the ZIP version. It would be better for everyone if bis made their patches available in 7-zip format. Then everyone would get their updates faster and bis wouldn't see their servers exploding into flames.

First impressions is that im impressed. Things seem to work and major changes (for the good) work really well.

Athetically the menus are much improved, love the new night vision goggles, instant in and out of map is a god send.

Its everything and more so I'm happy, infact I havent been this happy since ArmA came out.

AND the patch compressed using 7-zip is 50MB SMALLER than the ZIP version. It would be better for everyone if bis made their patches available in 7-zip format. Then everyone would get their updates faster and bis wouldn't see their servers exploding into flames.

Did you read my post in full? I said, zip is a far more widely used compression format, thus it is the most logical option. And having a smaller file still won't keep demand lower.

Did you read my post in full? I said, zip is a far more widely used compression format, thus it is the most logical option. And having a smaller file still won't keep demand lower.

By that reasoning then everyone should still be using lzh! (because that and lha were a damn sight more popular than zip back in the day.. but you know why zip became popular? Because it gave better compression over lzh, lha etc)

What you're proposing is a non-argument. Just because it's the most common format currently does not make it the best thing to use.

You're completely missing the point.

I've no idea where you got the demand thing from, I made no mention of that.

BIS are having problems getting the patches out. As a matter of fact it WOULD help BIS if people spent less time using up their bandwidth which a smaller filesize does.

Things just seem smoother to me. 1280x1024x32 everything on normal except for AA (high!wink_o.gif shadows off. never drops below 40fps smile_o.gif

Blood, Sweat and Tears is still rediculously hard.

The first part is easy

The base as the sniper fella is very hard. The AI from the beach is dumb and doesn't go to the military base so I ended up having to snipe like 15 men. Took me about 15 attempts but I finally did it by hiding in a house across the road lol.

The next part is impossible. 2 armoured machine gun transports. We get out and the first thing we meet is a BMP, kills the 2 transports, then the 1 AT soldier who is dumb as a post dies trying to get close enough to destroy it and gets raped.

This happens over and over :/

- Game performance is even worse for me after patching.

- MP is laging badly as it was before patching, its almost imposible to play MP. ( i connecting to servers with ping below 100)

- Same sound bugs, im loosing all sounds for 10-15 seconds from time to time.

- Its almost imposible to drive a bike :/

- New rusian sniper looks like unfinished addon weapon, left hand doesnt fit weapon at all - its a problem of almost every arma weapon.

Im loosing my patience with ArmA .... sad_o.gif

Waiting for another patch....

I have a Core 2 Duo E6600, 2GB DDR2 ram and a 7950GT 512MB. And the freekin bushes still eats fps. Whats up with that?

I had better performance with 1.04 than 1.05, and turning down settings doesnt seem to help much either.

Down to 15 fps in ironsights if there are trees nearby?

Come on!

The game is unplayable.

I get same problem like you. my solution is turn off the shadow.

The game kicks ass. Adds alot when you are cooperating well on a server too yay.gif  notworthy.gif

I'm running on a P4 @ 2,8GHz, 1.5GB RAM, XFX GeForce 7800GT 256MB (AGP) and it runs smooth on:

View distance, 2000m. All settings on Normal (excluding PostP: Low and Shading Quality: Low)

The gameplay and weapons handling is just where I want it. Had to tweak the mouse settings but nothing else.

By that reasoning then everyone should still be using lzh! (because that and lha were a damn sight more popular than zip back in the day.. but you know why zip became popular?  Because it gave better compression over lzh, lha etc)

What you're proposing is a non-argument. Just because it's the most common format currently does not make it the best thing to use.

You're completely missing the point.

I've no idea where you got the demand thing from, I made no mention of that.

BIS are having problems getting the patches out. As a matter of fact it WOULD help BIS if people spent less time using up their bandwidth which a smaller filesize does.

that's something i keep saying for ... hmm 2 years about 7-zip smile_o.gif

yep people still blabling about ZIP smile_o.gif

i can understood why some1 want use RAR (as it rox with theirs media specific optimizing)

i mean what's so hard to host both .ZIP and .7Z package ?

Arma_InternationalUpdate105.zip = 466 MB (489 009 152 bytes)

Arma_InternationalUpdate105.7z = 378 MB (397 316 096 bytes)

now multiply by 10000 users and guess what - that's saved only 860GB smile_o.gif

and if You fear people fail to find unpacker smile_o.gif simply pack this file as "self extracting" archive (into .exe) then rename to .7z and add instruction , rename to .exe and run to extract smile_o.gif

Any changes in the helicopter/jet dynamics? Do they fly the same as in 1.02?

Any changes to how soldiers move? Are they still controlable like robots?

I could install ARMA and grab the patch, but too much to bother with if none of the above was changed. Oh yeah, I uninstalled a long time ago.

?

... but still make "witty" comments on how crap it is...

anyway, they somewhat smoothed the player controls. Like you can now go from crouch to sprint without using evasive, and end up crouched again at the end of your sprint like in OFP

I have a Core 2 Duo E6600, 2GB DDR2 ram and a 7950GT 512MB. And the freekin bushes still eats fps. Whats up with that?

I had better performance with 1.04 than 1.05, and turning down settings doesnt seem to help much either.

Come on!

The game is unplayable.

Stabiz, I have the exact same system you do except I have a 6700 Duo. I can run on Very High settings without a hiccup. I found that if I ran MSConfig to turn everything off and disabled my Virus scan and other background applications the increase in performance was HUGE!!!

I also have a SATA drive and Windows XP just as an FYI.

I haven't said anything negative regarding 1.05. I'll try it out, and then talk about it. But Its not my first priority and I'm not expecting much. So Ill install arma one of those days and see whats different wink_o.gif

and disabled my Virus scan and other background applications the increase in performance was HUGE!!!

This sounds interesting for me... Is there maybe a possibility that the losing textures and having much harddrive activity are related to having virus scanners that scan the files while ArmA is accessing them? I would guess these files would not be scanned on and on and on, but it also sounds plausible as a cause for these issues... hmmm

Come on!

The game is unplayable.

Stabiz (are you lord stabiz from RSC?), try to select lower shader settings. This improved the performance alot for me when close to bushes

The game kicks ass. Adds alot when you are cooperating well on a server too yay.gif  notworthy.gif

I'm running on a P4 @ 2,8GHz, 1.5GB RAM, XFX GeForce 7800GT 256MB (AGP) and it runs smooth on:

View distance, 2000m. All settings on Normal (excluding PostP: Low and Shading Quality: Low)

The gameplay and weapons handling is just where I want it. Had to tweak the mouse settings but nothing else.

My computer is almost same as yours.

@ 2,8GHz oc to 3G, 1.5GB RAM, GeForce 7800GT 256MB (PCI-Express).

I run amra on 1280x1024, I almost run everysetting on low and set shadow off.

when I play the ambush mission, I only get 30 fps.

sad_o.gif

1.05 is an improvement.

Although I hear lots of people in MP complain about texture and rendering issues it has not changed for me since 1.02. My sounds are also fine and I believe a lot of this may be server side related.

My minor gripe is with the GUI. I run a Viewsonic 22" wide screen monitor (16:9), yet the loading 'splash screen' is 4:3! So I get this ugly GUI as it loads .. surely there could be a way to make the splash/loading screen 16:9?

Patch was painless (after I restored the original files I had backed up)!

Thanks BIS, I'm still looking for improvements but this patch is a very welcome improvement in game play.

Finally, what can you do about the TK/Asset wasting/Kindergarten tards that still ruin good game play!??

Sound cuts out earlier on half the effects than it did before and after I had the sniper scope on all the textures dissapeared. The the bugs stop me playing this are still there. The Ai is still odd some guys I shoot at from 50m dont return fire yet their M113 got me with one shot from 3000m.