Sign in to follow this  
fabrizio_t

Patch 1.05 impressions

- Game performance is even worse for me after patching.

- MP is laging badly as it was before patching, its almost imposible to play MP. ( i connecting to servers with ping below 100)

- Same sound bugs, im loosing all sounds for 10-15 seconds from time to time.

- Its almost imposible to drive a bike :/

- New rusian sniper looks like unfinished addon weapon, left hand doesnt fit weapon at all - its a problem of almost every arma weapon.

Im loosing my patience with ArmA .... sad_o.gif

Waiting for another patch....

I am having the same problems as you.

For example: when loading up Sahrani in the map editor and simply flying around in the cobra gunship, there are consistent lag spikes in frame rate with total texture loss (SLI 8800s).

Prior to the patch, the game would crash periodically. With the patch (especially when in airborne vehicles), I am crashing about every 10 minutes. I am unable to do any campaign missions that require flying without crashing within a minute or so.

There appears to be more hard drive paging with this patch. For users with high memory, there shouldn't be more paging to the drive - which ultimately slows performance down.

I'm slightly peeved with the latest patch and hope many of these issues can be resolved quickly.

I can't say that I've enjoyed the new patch much yet as after about 3-5 minutes of playing I am now suffering from very poor frame rates and textures like this ...

http://www.fotocraft.org.uk/images/snapshots/no-textures.jpg

This happens in all missions/editor and I have to restart the game to temporarily solve the problem! Shame, I hope it gets fixed, as I will now have to shelve the game and wait for a fix or revert back to v1.04. sad_o.gif Anyone else having this problem? huh.gif

Hmmm. I have you beat for poor textures. This is flying around in the mission editor with no other units on dual 8800s, approx. 2 minutes flying smile_o.gif

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=490873

Well, at least 2142 still looks good.

I'd be testing the 1.05 patch if it wasn't for this reactivation crap... Now I have to wait until I receive a response from Morphicon before I can even play the game....

and disabled my Virus scan and other background applications the increase in performance was HUGE!!!

This sounds interesting for me... Is there maybe a possibility that the losing textures and having much harddrive activity are related to having virus scanners that scan the files while ArmA is accessing them? I would guess these files would not be scanned on and on and on, but it also sounds plausible as a cause for these issues... hmmm

Ok, I uninstalled my anti-virus and rebooted to ensure it was completely gone.

Restart game. Started Assault the Convoy mission. Turn from building and run across runway. Immediately textures look funky. Upon trying to enter the copter - crash to desktop.

Didn't work for me, but it may help someone else.

deez

Hmmm. I have you beat for poor textures. This is flying around in the mission editor with no other units on dual 8800s, approx. 2 minutes flying smile_o.gif

I've seen a LOT of complaints from 8800GTX/GTS users, and not a single one seemed to consider that some of the problem may lie within the new nVidia drivers. ArmA is a new game ... couple that with new hardware and new drivers and it's easy to see why problems arise. Not to mention that SLI also has its fair share of problems with compatibility in games. Give it a bit of time on both ends as the drivers usually have to be tweaked for specific games and vice versa.

My second impression... I only played SP.

Still positive, I"ve seen some minor texture & shadow glitches and a stretched cargo animation (i saw it in one of the campaign missions), but nothing to worry about. For the record...my graphics card is a ATI X1950XTX 512Mb DDR4 running on a E6600 with 2Gb RAM 800Mhz.

I also have a slight performance drop, I could run Arma pretty high, but now I have to reduce my details a bit to get 35-40 framerate. Especially the cities are more demanding now, I had 40-50fps with 1.04, now I have 25-35fps.

I'm quite impressed by the AI, especially in towns. (maybe that's the reason?)

They flank creative, they use trees, corners (coincidence?) and their reaction is improved a lot imo. They don't turn around that much, when they spot you they just crouch, aim & fire. Once I placed my self behind a window and an enemy shoot between a gap in the wall.

I'm replaying the campaign at the moment and lots of missions are harder now, but more fun. I like the grass layers, works pretty well and the game is finally fair now. At night I could even crawl up behind an enemy, if I had a knife I could slice his throat (hint) smile_o.gif

I also noticed performance drop in 1.05 with E6700@2837MHz, 2 Gb 800Mhz, X1900XTX. Especially in cities.

I also have a slight performance drop,

I can confirm this too. sad_o.gif

I had to lower details aswell in order to get somewhat smooth 20 fps.

No lod problems and no textures disappearead anymore. That's good news.

I really haven't played much yet after the patch (30 mins) to see all the improvements. Will get back to it today or tomorrow.

Thanks BIS for this HUGE patch. Expecially that language option was very nice of you. inlove.gif

I've seen a LOT of complaints from 8800GTX/GTS users, and not a single one seemed to consider that some of the problem may lie within the new nVidia drivers.

I've got a 8800GTS 640MB running ArmA with no problems. Seems SLI is causing all that. Which is Nvidias problem.

For me the patch 1.05 worked quite well. Best things imo:

- map show/hide delay is gone

- language switch in the options

- fluent change of LODs on bushes/trees - no more object popups yay

- grass can be switched off when terrain details are on very low

Thx BIS  smile_o.gif

The performance drop might be due to the grass layers. Can anyone tell me where to find the really long grass in Sahrani? The only grass I see when I place myself in the mission editor is too short to hide in.

I've also experienced a performance drop but it's a bit different when compared to many of the posts I see here.

First off I'd say that the whole CD Key/Re-activation run around is a complete joke and if BIS doesn't pull their heads from their rumps with these time consuming and stupid road blocks, they will kill the game before it has a chance to live up to it's possibilities.

I'm not sure about everyone else here, but my patched version was a Morphicon.de dl @ 1.01 and I copied the original install to a separate location (after launching the original install once to ensure the game worked properly) so I can always overwrite my existing ArmA install with an untouched, original, version. For whatever reason, patching 1.02 produced errors so I reverted back to my original install and viola, no problems. Of course I did have to re-enter my CD key which wouldn't be a problem if it didn't subtract one of three possible activations for this version of ArmA. Limiting installs is one of the stupidest ideas ever folks, we paid for the software folks so let us own it for crying out loud!

OK that's the rant portion and quite honestly, I really hope that BI PR reads these posts and takes them to heart because their killing this game with poor planning and disorganization.

As for the performance of the 1.05 patch, in my case it's an improvement but an odd improvement. I've noticed that my overall framerates are lower but they spike much less meaning I'm running at 5 - 7 FPS less (on average) but it's a steady FPS instead of the spikiness of 1.01 and 1.02. Bushes and forested areas no longer hiccup as in previous versions and flying over forested areas produces a much more fluid game as well.

I've also noticed that the bushes render a bit differently at distance whereby zooming in on a bush via scope produces a bush that seems to grow and thicken before my eyes. This effect may have been present before but it didn't look as obvious as it did tonight.

Ballistic values also seem to have undergone some serious adjustment because I can now hit targets at distance more where before my bullets would stray more. This of course was never an issue because I don't expect to hit everything I shoot at over distance, just thought it worth mentioning.

The one and only thing I've seen about this patch that I don't like is the flight controls for the Blackhawk seem more responsive once again. I don't think it's nearly as bad as 1.01 but they are more "twitchy" than 1.02. I think the Blackhawk should handle well but it should have some delay in control as it's a big, long, heavy flying sofa. Of course I'm not a pilot other than IL 2 FB, I just preferred the 1.02 controls (for the Blackhawk at least) as they just seemed to be more on par with the vehicle in question.

I do like the fact we have more video options and one of the things I like about this version is I'm able to up my view distance and still not hiccup noticeably. Overall I'd say this patch (so far) is an improvement but if I could say one thing to BIS about the game updates is please, please, please, release updates to all of us at the same time, make it so we NEVER have to reactivate and for the love of GOD, please make sure you offer enough dl mirrors for everyone (including us North Americans) and that said, dl mirrors that actually work.

I have yet to play MP or any urban combat so I cannot respond at this time.

Good luck to all of you!

Ken

Conroe E6600 2.4 Dual Core

2 GB DDR2 Dual Channel @ 667 MHz

640 Mb NVIDIA 8800 GTS PCIE

2 x 320 GB SATA II Seagate Raptor @ 7200 RPM

Creative Labs Audigy 2

NEC MultiSync FE 1250 21"

Well to me this patch is a serious improvement, i was really not liking ArmA in it's 1.02 state.

Now the game seems a lot better, more whole. I don't know how to say it but the game feels a lot better then it did before. The AI is better the driving is too, seems like tanks don't become pinballs in towns anymore.

Overall it's a great improvement to everything, i just might try that campaign again (oh the horrible memories though).

I just tested it a little after a long install yesterday night.

What has been definately improved is the AI in tanks and the handling of the tank itself. If you are in a position different than the driver using the movement keys will almost have the same effect as driving on your own. When you press left or right the tank turns as long as you have hit the key, so driving is precise now without having to use shift key.

The commander AI now uses his turret gun very often and if you got an AI gunner he is finally able to engage targets that are really far away.

That´s the only thing I´ve been testing up to now though, but it´s a real improvement for me.

I had no bugs while patching and no gameplay crashes and new bugs so far.

One yay.gif for the 1.05

Bought new parts for my PC, renewed System, installed ArmA and finally patched it!

Started the game and tried the new stuff like the motorcycle (not that good sound btw).

If you manage to fall over with your bike it's not possible to pick it up banghead.gif

I think there is an overall improvement with this Patch and i love the game.

Some bug in MP though, where you can't move at all when a mission starts. You can really do nothing except chat because you aren't able to disconnect either and that's pretty weird.

Gotta go try out the Javelyn.... pistols.gif

The patch was overall is great. Alot of things work better and playing is alot smoother. Ive had two problems though. Not sure if its my pc or what. I got e6600 oc 3.6ghz 8800gtx and 2gig ram and running vista. One problem is when I look at gear the weapons in the menu box are blurry and I get 2fps when i look at the gear. Second when I died the screen went black but i could still hear ai firing. The normal menu that comes up to retry or quit didnt show up and it didnt show me who killed me. Can anyone confirm this happening to them, otherwise I think I have a performance drop with vista. Vista uses too many resources so this may be a problem.

Had a quick 1 hour test seession last night after comming home.

Overall the patch is very good, many good features, few things i noticed as very good so far:

- Better Helicopter controls, seems lot smoother now

- AI uses roads lot better

- AI seems to act bit better overall

- Flattening grass

- Tiny bit improved performance ( very low though )

- Better tank handling

For me, the new aiming system alone makes this the BEST patch for any game in the history of gaming biggrin_o.gif

Many many people are complaing about still exsisting bugs but when your realize that this is the best game in the world then theres not a lot to complain about smile_o.gif

on a side note: if you are gonna post bugs then is it REALLY neccessary to post things like "really dissapointed" "pissed off with..."? it just looks a bit silly smile_o.gif

Hi all

Better helicopter flight model overall. Cobra in particular tail rotor now works and does not cause that violent bank.

Grass you can hide in at a distance.

SP seems smother.

MP games are way better less lag and a lot smother.

A lot of the Campaign bugs have disappeared.

Kind Regards walker

love it! lots of issues corrected. One thing - Disabling tracers in rifles still doesn't function. Can't turn off tracers. M24 still has tracers - how can a sniper rifle have tracers. I know it's minor but....

implementation of grass rendering in the distance is kinda funny - green sheets stretching over the ground surface. I guess it's as good as it gets.

BIS is a small company compared to big shots like EA or Ubisoft.

ye and already BIS is creating more realistic and superior games biggrin_o.gif

as for the patch

OMG!!! biggrin_o.gif:D:D:D

I'm not sure about everyone else here, but my patched version was a Morphicon.de dl @ 1.01 and I copied the original install to a separate location (after launching the original install once to ensure the game worked properly) so I can always overwrite my existing ArmA install with an untouched, original, version. For whatever reason, patching 1.02 produced errors so I reverted back to my original install and viola, no problems. Of course I did have to re-enter my CD key which wouldn't be a problem if it didn't subtract one of three possible activations for this version of ArmA. Limiting installs is one of the stupidest ideas ever folks, we paid for the software folks so let us own it for crying out loud!

Agreed - I can't even play the game now because the patch put me one activation over the limit!

Better helicopter flight model overall. Cobra in particular tail rotor now works and does not cause that violent bank.

Really? smile_o.gif

I'd like to see a new flight model of Cobra in YouTube or in some other videos. tounge2.gif

I've seen a LOT of complaints from 8800GTX/GTS users, and not a single one seemed to consider that some of the problem may lie within the new nVidia drivers.  ArmA is a new game ... couple that with new hardware and new drivers and it's easy to see why problems arise.  Not to mention that SLI also has its fair share of problems with compatibility in games.  Give it a bit of time on both ends as the drivers usually have to be tweaked for specific games and vice versa.

@ Lt_Damage…

Quote[/b] ]You have no information to confirm that it is the patch that has done this.

You have not posted your system specifications, I suggest you do this if you want to eleviate any doubt about whether your PC can run this game well in the first place.

Why is it that some are so sure of themselves that everyone else has hardware or software issues that are unconnected in anyway to BIS software or updates? …So it’s a Graphics driver problem? Then why was it OK in 1.04?  … “Am I sure my PC can run the game in the first place?†…WTF? I am comparing 1.04 to 1.05 so why ask such a stupid question?

It should be pretty clear (even to the totally uninitiated) that there are issues with 1.05 over 1.04 if 1.04 was running fine but 1.05 is giving problems and all other parameters are the same!  notworthy.gif

Attention to all with the texture problems

I have filed a bugreport here: http://bugs.armed-assault.net/view.php?id=2091

Pleas add your comments, specs, screenshots etc. Thanks in advance!

Thanks HXC! I might add something if I see fit!  wink_o.gif

i haven't played 505 version of Arma online since i bought it a month ago, as i was waiting for the 1.05 patch to arrive before i did multiplayer.

so i cannot say how it is better than 1.04 multilayer wise.

what i can say is that i played for six hours solid, and went to bed only because of booze enhanced exhaustion.

great fun.