Sign in to follow this  
fabrizio_t

Patch 1.05 impressions

What, are you kidding?!? This patch blows! Two months and hundreds of hours of work and they still can't get those last two boxes to check...

rofl.gif

Seriously though, I love it. The new iron sights are worth the price of admission alone. Makes me kind of frustrated though that I spent all those years lurching around like Young Frankenstein trying to get the drop on someone in Operation Flashhpoint though smile_o.gif I've noticed no gain or drop in performance although I still get the LOD/Lag spike problem, but alt-tabbing seems to clear that up. I guess the best thing I can say about this game is that I set up a simple convoy destroy mission for the cobra in the mission editor, literally 3 minutes of work, and my buddy and I co-oped on it for a solid hour! The patch just helps make everything better. Good job BIS! (Don't stop though! )

Rick

Ok i've played another 5 hours online and i figured something out which incrased my Frames back to that level of 1.02 + it seems to run smoother.

I've done:

1. Disabled Hardware-Sounds

2. Disabled EAX (CPU killer if you have only Onboard-sound like me)

3. Set Post-Processing to low (looks better in low and incrased frame-rate extrem)

3. All Texture and Detail-Things on the "left-side" set to Normal(include shader)

4 View-range set to 1200M

5. Anti-Aliasing to Low

6. Shadows to normal

7. anisotropic-Filter to normal

8. blood to high :-p

The good things with this settings are:

-The game runs real good and smoother even if the framrate is lower, compared to 1.02(Exept when you coming in a Wood-part or in a large city with enemys, then it goes down...)

- Soundbug is completly gone!

- Visual there are less or no difference to the very-high and high settings i used in 1.02.

- Game makes now so much fun!

- the "Texture-Disappear-Problem" when turning around is gone for a long time... Well untill you played 2-3 Hours or longer without a brake. Then the Game "get" a "rhytm" of about 10 seconds in which all Textures and Objects run from Very-Low (flashpoint-style) to the maximum, and then again the same over and over again - the game is not playable then anymore and needs a restart.

The "bad" things are:

- In 1.02 i had not to lower all those settings

- Without EAX, recognizing of enemys is really hard with my 5.1 Sourround Headphones.

My Machine specs: Athlon 64 4000+ (oc'ed to around 5000+), GF 7950GT, 2Gig DDR2. Fast Harddisk and weekly defraged by O&O-Defrag. Of course always the newest drivers for all Hardware and Windows XP

Regards, Christian

The new texture loading problems that some are having can be quite amusing occasionally! ...

chock-head.jpg

I have found that AltTabbing seems to work though, so it sounds like that old problem of textures not emptying from memory again. Seems to affect some but not others. Symptoms are sudden poor performance accompanied by textures not loading or partially loading. The problem for me is sporadic and intermittent. Otherwise the patch is a big improvement!

My system specs:

P4 3.2ghz. 2 gig DDR ram. 6800GS/XT 256mb AGP. Win XP Home.

- the "Texture-Disappear-Problem" when turning around is gone for a long time... Well untill you played 2-3 Hours or longer without a brake. Then the Game "get" a "rhytm" of about 10 seconds in which all Textures and Objects run from Very-Low (flashpoint-style) to the maximum, and then again the same over and over again - the game is not playable then anymore and needs a restart.

Try alt-tabbing out of the game and then back in (er...pause it first) this clears it up for me for another hour or so...

Rick

Ok Rick Rawlings and Red kite, i would give it a try. Anyway thats not the optimal way of solving this, i hope BIS will fix this anoying bug.

Regards, Christian

Quote[/b] ]6. Shadows to normal

I´ve found that shadows have a very big impact on performance.

I have deativated them and it really boosted Arma in 1.02.

I´m slightly running out of options for 1.05 though sad_o.gif

BTW has anyone noticed that if you have some (4-5) burning wrecks around you the performance goes totally out of the window now ?

Installed patch last night, finally able to get onto MP as 1.04 would not let me connect, the game would just hang. Performace seems to be about the same as before on single player. MP is ok at times, often getting missing textures and it seems very laggy (idon't know if this a common problem,  i have an 8Meg connection and my ping is never higher than 45).Other than that I am happy with the patch-roll on to the next one.

I have put the game into its box and I`ll wait till game2 demo.

It must be a pretty good demo if I will buy that game...

hows that for an impression......cya

Quote[/b] ]2. Disabled EAX (CPU killer if you have only Onboard-sound like me)

Holy sh*t, I gain about 10fps THX!

Patch caused some fps drop for me. Had to drop settings to normal on most everything to keep frame rate at what it was with 1.02 (1280x1024). Other than that have had no problems so far. Love the grass actually working as cover, new ironsights and free float aiming, firing burst/auto while moving, and the helicopter controls are 1000 percent better. I can actually fly well enough with keyboard and mouse to make it enjoyable now. Only problem is the external view still seems to rotate with the camera as the axis point instead of the rotor. First person view seems to be correct.

All in all it was a pretty major improvement in playability for me. Hopefully BIS sorts all the issues and we have another major patch by the time the US version ships.

Another good aspect of the 1.05 patch:

I thought it was my imagination but after 2 days of testing I'm sure. AI can miss. They don't kill you anymore in a blink of an eye. Maybe it's because hiding in the grass really works now.

In the blood, sweat & tears" mission they even shoot at places where I was a few seconds before. Great.

Apart from the problems i'm still having with ver 1.04 the 1.05 version seems to be running fine.

I have a question however.

Do you know when you notice something that you've seen a thousand times before but you think it's changed, well i noticed this in my editor. I have a widescreen monitor so i'm assuming this is the cause for the grey bars on the left and right. But i thought if i applied the widescreen settings i would have the benefit in the editor also.

editorxh2.jpg

We have three AMD systems in my house running the game. Are we the ONLY people not having any problems? Seriously, the games runs great in SP and MP in medium to high settings. Now I built all three systems, at a total of about $2100, but I do not think that my expertise in computer matters is any greater than anyone else's on this forum. So what's the problem?

--Ben

I suspect certain new machines are suffering from "memory leak" problems due to their newer architecture... therefore I supect older machines will probably run the games with fewer/no real issues

I just played ArmA for 6 hours, about 4 were active, had lunch and a quick bite for dinner, left ArmA running the whole time, no crashes. Only issue I had is what made me restart just now, the textures stayed low res on a few buildings and objects. No big. Just a quick restart and good to go.

AMD 4400 x2

GF 6800gs

2Gb memory

SB Audigy 2 zs

The obvious problem with PC gaming is the endless combinations of hardware that games have to try and run on. OFP didn't run very well on the best of pcs but i was lead to believe Arma had a more optimized engine. I used to read the forums and wonder how these people were having problems when my game was running fine. Well unfortunatly i'm now one of these people who's having a shitty experiance with Arma. The problem is i'm not the only one having the same graphical glitch, but so far there's no answer to my problem.

I love this game and i want to play this game but i can't and that's whats most annoying.. sad_o.gif

Can soneome post some pics of the new aimsights and the new MP menus and stuff? I can't install ArmA till i get my new CPU and I really wanna see how much its changed.

I'd like to be able to turn the new iron sights off, or lock them while they're visible - with TrackIR, you end up overcompensating twice - once working out where your head's pointed, and then again with the mouse.

I'd like to be able to turn the new iron sights off, or lock them while they're visible - with TrackIR, you end up overcompensating twice - once working out where your head's pointed, and then again with the mouse.

Set floating zone in the options to the far left, that should make things easier with TrackIR.

Glad to hear that i'm not the only one where it works.

I also told my brother a few hours ago, just wait if they also get such a performance-boost!

Anyway, have you tried to set the Post-Processing to low?

For me that gave me another "feelable" boost!

Regards, Christian

Anyone noticed the performance increase when setting the shadow detail to high instead of low rofl.gif

I also told my brother a few hours ago, just wait if they also get such a performance-boost!

Regards, Christian

A "feelable" boost is an understatement. smile_o.gif

EAX was a killer, but post-processing was a massmurderer.

It gave me more then 10fps and it looks even better now.

I have 40-50fps even with photoshop running in the background, Lovely.

Regards, Christian

A "feelable" boost is an understatement. smile_o.gif

EAX was a killer, but post-processing was a massmurderer.

It gave me more then 10fps and it looks even better now.

I have 40-50fps even with photoshop running in the background, Lovely.

whats your specs, and what settings do u run the game in ?

the eax gave me 0 fps increase :P but i dont got a onboard though.

Onboard means you dont have a sound card on the motherboard but a card connected to motherboard like graphic crard? So EAX boost is only for people having sound card on motherboard and not for people tat have it separately (when you can take the sound card only out.) True?