Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Ask a moderator about the forum and the rules

I know what you mean Baddo (and I support that part about friendly tone - we musn't forget we all were noobs once), but I think in this particular case mods (and some forum members) are right; if there's no that 'reminding attitude' forums can soon be swamped with questions on which were answered 'million times already', became infested, became one big mess and the-rest-of-such-words on such way, just because they didn't read the Rules and its No. 7.

The unfriendly and arrogant tone is not needed, and not in this particular case either.

None unfrendliness or arrogance there but

Quote[/b] ]the example you gave includes help for the person to know how to search properly.......

I feel the opposite, Baddo.

I find that all the moderators here are alot more friendly than the OFPEC, OFPBase, ect. websites.

And the members aren't as cocky, lol.

Your comments are vary valid gents, but this is a "ask the moderator" thread not a discussion thread persay.

Lets get back to questions and answers smile_o.gif

Thanks.

Sorry guys, it's a personal problem with my messenger.

I can't send any message.

My box is empty but an error message tell me that is full  huh.gif

Can the Forum Moderators help me ?

thanks

Maybe you have sent too many messages and your outbox folder is full?

yep, it happened to me too.

you just have to empty your 'sent items' and you are good to go!

How does one acquire one of those really cool custom titles? biggrin_o.gif

Unfortunately we can't tell you this well kept secret. And often if you become a custom title it's not what you wanted.

And with 2 WLs... whistle.gif

Unfortunately we can't tell you this well kept secret. And often if you become a custom title it's not what you wanted.

And with 2 WLs...  whistle.gif

With the 2 Wl's you have given him I assume people have to PM a moderator for a custom title?

Hi guys - hope this is the right place to post smile_o.gif

Would it be allowed to post an advert for a new Steel Beasts clan in the off-topic section?

Also, IIRC you can PM a mod after two months to have the WLs removed, no?

Mine stayed there for well over 4 months IIRC. I just pm'd a moderator and they were removed so yes after the purpose of the WB has been fulfilled it can be removed smile_o.gif

a question for the moderators, im wondering how many are employed at BIS? and also how many have or is employed from the community? smile_o.gif

How exactly is that ask a moderator? That's more a "mind your own business you nosey parker" kind of question wink_o.gif

I asked that question someone else @ BI not too long ago... the outcome was ... unsatisfying. huh.gif

Just forget about it.

@Binary

Hmmm, discussing SB might be ok but advertising a clan? I think there are better places for that.

@The Rest (WLs)

You can ask after a certain amount of time for 'amnesty'. If it will be granted is another question then of course. But generally spoken: You don't have to carry your WL's for the rest of your forum life.

But please: no mass PM's now asking for WL removal... don't even think about it. smile_o.gif

Ok I have a question....

Why can't moderators start handing out WL's, post restrictions or bans instead of locking when the usual shit storm in threads start? There are so many topics I'd like to see discussed in a civil manner, but many end up being locked due to rampant flaming/flame baiting etc. I'd rather like to see stricter moderation as opposed to locking everything, but I guess that's not up to me, heh.. confused_o.gif

I think I know what thread you're referring to. wink_o.gif

Sometimes it's easier to lock a certain topic then cleaning up a mess and to hand out PRs or WLs.

Reason: If we hand out a WL or PR we need to send a PM to the person(s) in question, explaining why and how long etc. etc. That costs time we sometimes simply don't have (remember that all moderation work is done voluntary.) Also the given PR must be removed manually once the time is up. So you already might figure that closing is faster.

However, and I can only speak for myself, I reopen threads after a certain amount of time to allow further discussions when I think that people got the message. smile_o.gif

Some threads are worthy of keeping alive by performing personal punishments, some aren't, we each make such decisions based on many different criteria, usually how much wrong is being done, by how many people, how much life does the thread have left in it if we leave it active, etc. etc.

The patch update thread pretty much contained all the useful information it was going to contain in the first post..........

With which moderator do I need to talk when I want my uuugly WL thingy removed. Ive still got some time on it though. sad_o.gif

Could the 100kb limit on pictures be lifted?

I mean, its not 1999 any longer, most gamers have dsl/broadband nowadays.

Its doesn't have to be so very much higher, 200kb would be nice.

Or if thats too much too ask, at least allow bigger pictures in the ARMA screenshot thread.

I see this rule is being handled very aggressive by the mods, I see people splitting images etc Just to be able to show their pics, and its absolutely laughable to me.

Why does it have to be like this?

With which moderator do I need to talk when I want my uuugly WL thingy removed. Ive still got some time on it though. smile_o.gif

Any mod you want to talk to. Preferably the one you got the box from, but any other will do too. smile_o.gif

Edit: You received that box around a month ago... forget about a fast removal and ask again in ~6 months.

sparks50

This has been discussed not long ago, few months maybe. And we decided to leave it as it is. I doubt things will change just a few months later.

Sigh... Learning how to quote sometimes helps mad_o.gif

Could the 100kb limit on pictures be lifted?

I mean, its not 1999 any longer, most gamers have dsl/broadband nowadays.

Its doesn't have to be so very much higher, 200kb would be nice.

Or if thats too much too ask, at least allow bigger pictures in the ARMA screenshot thread.

I see this rule is being handled very aggressive by the mods, I see people splitting images etc Just to be able to show their pics, and its absolutely laughable to me.

Why does it have to be like this?

Not going to happen. Just because someone has broadband doesn't mean that surfing these forums is fast, for example here in Singapore I have 12mb cable, local websites are blisteringly fast yet websites in North America are much, much slower, having broadband in itself is essentially meaningless to the debate.

If someone wants to post a large picture they can easily create a 100kb clickable thumbnail, or as some are doing they can use their 6x100kb allowance to make a split image, personally I don't have a problem with that if people are so anally obsessed with showing their images in such quality they want to waste their time splitting it into multiple parts, uploading and hotlinking smile_o.gif

What about slightly increasing the allowed size, but putting a cap. on the number of parts allowed? (guessing you will find that to hard to moderate)

I can understand why you want to keep it at a reasonable level, but as you're also allowing images split up in parts to be used, this rule is somewhat useless in it's current form, it just doesn't work like it's supposed to since you've allowed for a loophole/workaround.

I know I´m one of those representing the decreasing number of households that have no access to fast internet and I appreciate the 100KB rule very much. When I visit the CP thread it already takes me minutes to load the images with 8kB/sec. The linked images that are bigger than 100 KB are a good way to serve all interests imo. I cans till watch the CP thread if I feel to do so and others who have broadband can load the high quality images via a simple click.

Pls keep it that way sad_o.gif