Sign in to follow this  
shadow

Ask a moderator about the forum and the rules

Personally, I think it's foul language and not appropriate.

Your post here wasn't appropriate either IMO.

This isn't a children's forum smile_o.gif

Thanks for your opinion. However, this is the ask a moderator thread, not 'ask a vilas fanboy' thread.

Thanks for your opinion. However, this is the ask a moderator thread, not 'ask a vilas fanboy' thread.

So insulting people is fine, but swearing isn't?

I guess it is a children's forum after all, at least according to you icon_rolleyes.gif

Maddmatt, TankbusterSPAFF

Would you stop the offtopic talking in the ask a moderator thread now? One could think after four years, respective two and a half one would know the rules and general behaviour here. wink_o.gif

Take your personal issues to PM.

Swearing. What's the rule?

There's one or two users who use the 'f' word quite conversationally. They don't swear at users, but the word is used a lot in their posts. The Americans have a good phrase for it; "Potty mouth".

Personally, I think it's foul language and not appropriate.

Swearing in context is fine, swearing in moderation is fine, this is a forum for a war game for mature users if people are offended by some profanity they really shouldn't be playing video games where the aim is to kill people. That said swearing excessively, swearing for the sake of it is not acceptable, as they say, too much of a good thing is a bad thing smile_o.gif

Thanks, Placebo. That's pretty much in line with my thinking.

Tanky -Paul-

Why has the MLOD thread been closed now? Seeing how it was open for months and it helped the community alot, why has it been decided to close it now? Also, has the BIS stuff found it's way into the wrong hands or something for Placebo to suddenly drag the EULA up?

And if reverse engineering is bad and evil, why doesn't BIS simply release the MLODs that people want? I think the whole meaning of the thread was that, seeing how most of the models are fine but a few tweaks depending on individual taste, but there are still some things from some classes missing or some vehicles/whatever that have unique things that cannot be accessed otherwise.

Very likely it is a misunderstanding between Marek and Placebo..

Marek told me that the reverse engineering involved in releasing all the MLODS is illegal and contrary to the EULA, thus I closed the thread.

Marek told me that the reverse engineering involved in releasing all the MLODS is illegal and contrary to the EULA, thus I closed the thread.

Does that mean that all addons that were made from them will now be banned, along with their creators and all the sites that host them?

Because that's a lot of banning, and all community sites will be banned here because they post about and host those addons huh.gif

Holy crap, wouldn't even opening/uncompressing a PBO, even a mission PBO constitute "reverse engineering" ?!

So the provided 7 BI models are the ONLY models to be ever "used" ??

.... talk about putting a seriously large black cloud over the already wavering Mod'ing community.  sad_o.gif

Edit: But don't get me wrong, anyone found using ArmA or OFP content outside of ArmA, I'll help kick their arse until their nose bleeds.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you BIS. This is a kick in the balls for the modding community and especially for people like me who are trying to learn, dedicating SO MUCH spare time trying and enhance ArmA so that the community AND BIS may benefit.

Thanks a lot.....

I sent this mail to Suma. Let us see what he respons:

Quote[/b] ]Hello Ondrej,

may I please ask you behalf of the ArmA modding community to reconsider your attitude and decision towards this matter:

###

Reverse engineering of ArmA is both illegal and contrary to the EULA, there will be no such discussion on these forums, there will be no links to tools for doing such things nor links to the fruits of those tools' labour, any breaking of these rules will be perm banned immediately.

Any sites which host tools for reverse engineering our software, or host the fruits of such reverse engineering will become "persona non grata" from these forums. If the webmaster of such sites refuse to remove such files from their servers then they will be perm banned from these forums and anyone directly involved with the site will be perm banned from these forums.

###

You want to protect your legal property. That is your very right. No question about that.

So I can understand that you disallow the tools and the MLOD as a result.

Yet I can NOT believe you want to ban all the model work the community has done for your game.

> host the fruits of such reverse engineering

This may mean the converted MLODs itself or all worked based on these.

So maybe this is just a misunderstanding.

You should consider allowing all worked based on these to be still possible to host as long as they are used for your game.

Sources and reactions:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....;st=225

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin....;st=750

Thanks for your time and consideration!

best regards

Q

Please stop this discussion here, this is for asking mods about the forum rules. Next post about the EULA or BI's decisions here will result in PR/WL and a thread lock.

At the end of the day I think the main issue is that Marek wasn't happy that every BIS produced addon for ArmA had been stripped bare and uploaded to a website for all and sundry to download and use in any way they wish. There's no reason to believe that items cannot be modified and used for ArmA addons/mods the same as they were for Flashpoint addons/mods.

But yes as Raedor says this isn't the thread for such a discussion.

You may (or may not) want to remove the r=1; from that link, so that the thread isnt marked as posted in for everyone who visits it from that link.

Its not hugely important, but still...

Sorry guys, it's a personal problem with my messenger.

I can't send any message.

My box is empty but an error message tell me that is full huh.gif

Can the Forum Moderators help me ?

thanks

Topic moved and merged in here.

I can't say anything about that problem, we'll see if someone else knows.

Sorry guys, it's a personal problem with my messenger.

I can't send any message.

My box is empty but an error message tell me that is full huh.gif

Can the Forum Moderators help me ?

thanks

Maybe you have sent too many messages and your outbox folder is full?

Because it benefits the forum and other members if people help out other people, there's nothing more tedious than someone making a new thread because either they don't bother to search or they only do a half assed search without taking the time to search for a longer period or with varied search terms and such smile_o.gif I don't see how that post you link to is "acting as a moderator" anyway, in such an instance a moderator may well close the thread with something like "please try actually searching properly", the example you gave includes help for the person to know how to search properly.......

crazy_o.gif maybe, but a new member could think that this is a typical arrogance in this forum. Anyone can make a mistake.

It's not made with a friendly tone, and as such I find it not good when people behave like that. Makes for a very unwelcome feeling for a new member.

I was amazed with the unfriendly tone people very often use here when I started to browse this forum more actively, compared to some other places like ofpec it's very very different.

Even some moderators usually act like total jerks towards people, completely unnecessarily keeping up an unfriendly tone towards anyone and anything. Maybe it's the way they always are also outside this forum, I can't know that. Yes moderators are volunteers, but does that give them the right to act like jerks no matter what is being discussed. I don't think so.

If you scroll back some pages of this thread, you will notice I have made suggestions before to try and change the tone people use here, by adjusting the tone of the forum rules into a more welcoming tone. The rules currently sound like we are almost criminals already when nothing happened. The rules can be rewritten to emphasize a positive atmosphere instead of a negative one which they are now doing, and still say practically the same things.

It doesn't benefit this forum or this community if a hostile atmosphere is even encouraged by moderators.

thumbs-up.gif