Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Latest screenshots available

Also i f you look at this ArmA_MP_Press_Demo you'll notice that the 'resistance' flag is Austrailia!

It's a placeholder for the correct fictional flag.

If you look more closely you will actually notice that there is room for 4 flags on the MP-screen. The name of the country is written in yellow on the flag. When you pay attention to the white square to the right of the Australian flag, you will notice that there is some text written in the white square, not readable but the yellow is there. Maybe I see things that are not there, but maybe it will support up to 4 factions.

1 for the USA

1 for the resistance of Southern Sahrani

1 for the Northern Sahrani

and maybe 1 for civilians or a another army supporting Northern Sahrani??? crazy_o.gif

Anyway just something I noticed and wanted to share with y'all. smile_o.gif

Edited: I meant the right side where the thumb is on the left side...stupid, stupid me banghead.gif

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that they are making all the game 2 content from scratch. Models from VBS1 are just there as placeholders.

Looking at screenshots of the models, it looks like BI has finally got the hang of making technically accurate (if incorrectly named) models, unlike back in the OFP days wink_o.gif

Btw, I got 25/25 on that quiz thingy thumbs-up.gif

Well according to their website, they use 3D scanners to scan real objects into their games. Not sure as to how accurate that is and to what extent they use it though...

Thats complete Sci-Fi crap. There's no such thing as a scanner for models. You're thinking about motion sensing technology.

Thats complete Sci-Fi crap. There's no such thing as a scanner for models. You're thinking about motion sensing technology.

There is such a thing UkraineBoy. Google it.

Motion sensing is for animations of course.

Quoted for truth:

Please do not offend to work of my Cornell advisor, Steve Marshner. banghead.giftounge2.gif

The Digital Michaelangelo Project, aka "complete Sci-Fi crap". wink_o.gif

EDIT: Removed the anger and insults.

Yes there's such a thing but a small gaming company BIS would not have access to it.

Yes there's such a thing but a small gaming company BIS would not have access to it.

Ah, true, I also agree that it is not practical for games design as it apparently takes a massive amount of data, there is incredible artifacting problems, and takes a long time for detailed models. Plus the equipment is huge and cannot be lugged around to each and every vehicle BIS wants to scan.

Sorry for my earlier fit of indignation, I sometimes over-react. crazy_o.gif

There is such a thing UkraineBoy.  Google it.

dude.. one of them 3D scanners is about the size of a professional TV camera, even if its an expensive bit of equipment, how can you say that BIS would not have access to one. how could you know. maybe one of its partners from IDEA already has one and is letting BIS use it while they use BIS's motion capture studio.

i really dislike people who post such remarks as if it were facts if they know nothing about it.

confused_o.gif

anyways.. it would be a simple matter of buying a high grade plastic model kit, glueing it together, scanning it and make a simple mesh to slap the normalmap/displacmentmap to it.

just because they are making tanks for Armed Assault doesnt mean they need a full scale tank to scan, same goes for any object.

There is such a thing UkraineBoy.  Google it.

lol, that makes me laugh. Why wouldn't BIS have access to such hardware? They made OFP which is such a break through title in many ways, a lot of companies soon after OFP was released or near the end of developement followed BIS and used there ideas for games such as (GTA series, UT, BF2 etc)

BIS/BIA have been developing VBS1 and 2 since 2002 for the US Army, Marines, Australian Army along with a lot of other organisations and you say BIS wouldn't have access to a object scanner, before you said:

"Thats complete Sci-Fi crap. There's no such thing as a scanner for models. You're thinking about motion sensing technology."

I almost ended up working for Rainbow Studios in Phoenix Arizona in the US last year but had work visa issues. They use a 3D object scanner to scan in real motocross bikes for there motocross games etc along with whatever else they need to scan.

Also i f you look at this ArmA_MP_Press_Demo you'll notice that the 'resistance' flag is Austrailia!

It's a placeholder for the correct fictional flag.

If you look more closely you will actually notice that there is room for 4 flags on the MP-screen. The name of the country is written in yellow on the flag. When you pay attention to the white square to the right of the Australian flag, you will notice that there is some text written in the white square, not readable but the yellow is there. Maybe I see things that are not there, but maybe it will support up to 4 factions.

1 for the USA

1 for the resistance of Southern Sahrani

1 for the Northern Sahrani

and maybe 1 for civilians or a another army supporting Northern Sahrani??? crazy_o.gif

Anyway just something I noticed and wanted to share with y'all. smile_o.gif

Edited: I meant the right side where the thumb is on the left side...stupid, stupid me banghead.gif

OFP had four sides also.

The civilian flag was white, just as that screen shot.

I'd love to have four rival factions though,

EG. BAS tonal

Gov Forces vs Malitia vs Rebels vs US

(with civilians running about too)

That would be cool.

Plus, the logistics of scanning something as big as a tank or helicopter are crazy. Getting hold of them to scan is a mission in its self, then creating/buying hardware big enough to scan it is seriously costly. So I imagine that large scale objects would still be created by hand.

But again, this is all assumption...

Scale models... icon_rolleyes.gif

Scale models aren't perfect for that application either. Plus it would need a member of staff to go out, purchase them, build them and prep them for scanning.

Much as it's nice to think that laser scanning is the wonder tool which makes modelling for games a piece of cake, its not.

A lot of the evidence in the screenshots suggest that the bulk of 3d models are still made by hand, with the scanner being used for applications like faces, rocks and other natural objects.

As for

Yes there is such a thing, and yes BIS DO have one.

You can clearly see in the PC Format article that they have scanned James Carey's face for use in game 2.

Anyhwho, sorry for the offtopic, just needed to clear up a few points.

Yup.  We lease one for rapid prototyping, this one only has a 4' cubic scan area,  but there are ones in the auto industry that can handle full size trucks.  Anybody know if this is how BIS did foliage?  Does Linda import the info?

(Hey Placebo, can you post more tree and bush pics, please?  smile_o.gif  )

Edit: Actually forests would be great, from the cockpit of a helo, blasting a base, and, and, and.... inlove.gif I'll stop now..

Then how do you explain this? (bottom of the page)

Ok... so what exactly was the topic anyway?

Oh right... flags... um... I doubt the sides of changed, so there will probably 4 playable sides (West equivalent, East equivalent, Resistance equivalent, and Civilian) and side Logic (yes, it is a side).

lol kyle u beat me was just thinking about posting that smile_o.gif

I was hoping they would still have the quotes when you die. That is awesome... wink_o.gif

I like it when the camera zooms in on the person that shot you. There's an odd sense of satisfaction that goes with seeing your AI squadmates nail the guys that killed you.

I'm confused on the difference between the Mi-8 and Mi-17. I thought that they were both designated as the "Hip" and therefore were basically the same helicopter. So what's the difference and how do I tell them apart when looking at them?

Thanks in advance.

Think you're pretty knowledgable when it comes to aircraft? Try this trivia quiz: http://www.funtrivia.com/playquiz/quiz112976cf1288.html

I got a 19/25 so there's plenty of room for improvement.

that's a fucking easy quiz

and i stopped being interested in aircraft since 5 years ago

AT-4 is innacurately portrayed as a shoulder fired weapon

I'm not sure I understand you here.

You do realize that the AT-4 is a shoulder-fired, single-shot, individual weapon, right? They may have gotten some details of it wrong, but it IS something that a single soldier can use.

wink_o.gif AT-4 Spigot, not the M136 AT-4. Russian ATGM in the game.

Its portrayed as a shoulder fired weapon, when in reality it's this:

[im]http://www.portierramaryaire.com/imagenes/at4.jpg[/im]

Sorry for the confusion.

another:

1204_02.jpg

edit: DO NOT QUOTE IAMGES!

Hey, that looks like a small SAM system. Got more info on it?

AT-4 is innacurately portrayed as a shoulder fired weapon

I'm not sure I understand you here.

You do realize that the AT-4 is a shoulder-fired, single-shot, individual weapon, right? They may have gotten some details of it wrong, but it IS something that a single soldier can use.

wink_o.gif AT-4 Spigot, not the M136 AT-4. Russian ATGM in the game.

Its portrayed as a shoulder fired weapon, when in reality it's this:

[im]http://www.portierramaryaire.com/imagenes/at4.jpg[/im]

Sorry for the confusion.

another:

[im]http://handgun.kapyar.ru/ph/1204_02.jpg[/img]

No, thats not ATGM. Thats a MANPADS system.

edit: DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES

Looks like some kind of armed parachute without a canopy.

Oh man... that had me laughing. Thnx for that.