Sign in to follow this  
Ironsight

Latest screenshots available

i would be satisfied if they just called it cobra , apache , snake , Lion or light gunship or medium tank even tounge2.gifsmile_o.gif

But sometimes people has to say that its only game, calm down guys... wink_o.gif the mod tools will get released before the game even so you guys get a head start maybe biggrin_o.gif

AT-4 is innacurately portrayed as a shoulder fired weapon

I'm not sure I understand you here.

You do realize that the AT-4 is a shoulder-fired, single-shot, individual weapon, right? They may have gotten some details of it wrong, but it IS something that a single soldier can use.

wink_o.gif AT-4 Spigot, not the M136 AT-4. Russian ATGM in the game.

Its portrayed as a shoulder fired weapon, when in reality it's this:

at4.jpg

Sorry for the confusion.

You do realize that the AT-4 is a shoulder-fired, single-shot, individual weapon, right? They may have gotten some details of it wrong, but it IS something that a single soldier can use.

-img-

Sorry for the confusion.

Well i'm happy not i the only one who notice the problemfull naming of the weapons/vehicles in OFP. wink_o.gif

One more thing: why the russian anti-armour missile called AT-4? This is an NATO codename, wich is not used by warsaw pact / russian forces. The AT-4 for example in reality called Fagot, the launcher type are 9K111, the missile type 9M111.

-img-

Sorry for the confusion.

Well i'm happy not i the only one who notice the problemfull naming of the weapons/vehicles in OFP. wink_o.gif

One more thing: why the russian anti-armour missile called AT-4? This is an NATO codename, wich is not used by warsaw pact / russian forces. The AT-4 for example in reality called Fagot, the launcher type are 9K111, the missile type 9M111.

The NATO codename is used more often in English games than the Russian name.

Sorry for the confusion.

Ah. Learn something new every day. smile_o.gif

I was hoping they would still have the quotes when you die.  That is awesome...  wink_o.gif

I like it when the camera zooms in on the person that shot you. There's an odd sense of satisfaction that goes with seeing your AI squadmates nail the guys that killed you.

I'm confused on the difference between the Mi-8 and Mi-17. I thought that they were both designated as the "Hip" and therefore were basically the same helicopter. So what's the difference and how do I tell them apart when looking at them?

Thanks in advance.

Think you're pretty knowledgable when it comes to aircraft? Try this trivia quiz: http://www.funtrivia.com/playquiz/quiz112976cf1288.html

I got a 19/25 so there's plenty of room for improvement.

21/25

The Mi8's tail rotor is offset to a different side to the Mi17's. Which side exactly, I am not too sure.

21/25

The Mi8's tail rotor is offset to a different side to the Mi17's. Which side exactly, I am not too sure.

From FAS:

The Mi-17 helicopter, developed at the Mil Design Bureau from the Mi-8 helicopter, is in serial manufactured at the Kazan Helicopter Production Association. The designation Mi-17 is for export; the Russian armed forces called it Mi-8MT. The Mi-17 can be recognized because it has the tail rotor at the starboard side, instead of the port side.

So basicly the Mi-17 is a Mi-8 (in Russia).

I wonder if they have corrected the payload in ArmA or if its still 100 rockets more than it can carry.

Here's a list of possible munitions:

[*]2x 7.62-mm or 1x 12.7-mm MG

[*]4-6 - AT-2C or AT-3 ATGMs

[*]4-6 - 57-mm rocket pods (16 each)

[*]2 - 80-mm rocket pods (20 each)

[*]4 - 250-kg bombs

[*]2 - 500-kg bombs

[*]1 - 12.7-mm MG pod

[*]2 - Twin 23-mm gun pods

[*]1,830 - Additional fuel tanks (liters)

Last I checked, 6*16=96 not 196.

Shadow - the 57mm rocket pods you speak of can carry up to 32 rockets each.

Ok. I dont know. I just state what FAS writes.

...They should have stuck with the Apache smile_o.gif Its even good looking too.

I agree.

I've always liked the Apache...ever since i had this old 3d wireframe game, on the Comodor 64, called 'gunship'!

I still prefer the Apache...even if two of them seemed to misteriously be found, intact, behind enemy lines in Iraq...odd eh?

Will we see a new UH1 in ArmA or only UH60...?

Also i f you look at this ArmA_MP_Press_Demo you'll notice that the 'resistance' flag is Austrailia!

Also i f you look at this ArmA_MP_Press_Demo you'll notice that the 'resistance' flag is Austrailia!

It's a placeholder for the correct fictional flag.

It's a placeholder for the correct fictional flag.

So they now have to come up with a flag for the country too? thats another 4 months of development! crazy_o.gif

They should let us, the community design it.

So they now have to come up with a flag for the country too?  thats another 4 months of development! crazy_o.gif

Design, not knit it! tounge2.gif

Indeed tounge2.gif making flags is a synch,even if ya have to make em out of game with a perty effect,takes maybe what..hour at most?

So they now have to come up with a flag for the country too?  thats another 4 months of development! crazy_o.gif

Design, not knit it!  tounge2.gif

rofl.gif

So they now have to come up with a flag for the country too? thats another 4 months of development! crazy_o.gif

Design, not knit it! tounge2.gif

rofl.gif

But I want to crochet the flag. sad_o.gif

...They should have stuck with the Apache smile_o.gif Its even good looking too.

I agree.

I've always liked the Apache...ever since i had this old 3d wireframe game, on the Comodor 64, called 'gunship'!

I still prefer the Apache...even if two of them seemed to misteriously be found, intact, behind enemy lines in Iraq...odd eh?

Will we see a new UH1 in ArmA or only UH60...?

Unless it's the USARMY1 Apache, I'd prefer the Cobra since BIS's AH-64 was inaccurate beyond belief...

Unless it's the USARMY1 Apache, I'd prefer the Cobra since BIS's AH-64 was inaccurate beyond belief...

Yeah, but if they got Franze model..... whistle.gif

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that they are making all the game 2 content from scratch. Models from VBS1 are just there as placeholders.

Looking at screenshots of the models, it looks like BI has finally got the hang of making technically accurate (if incorrectly named) models, unlike back in the OFP days wink_o.gif

Btw, I got 25/25 on that quiz thingy thumbs-up.gif

Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure that they are making all the game 2 content from scratch. Models from VBS1 are just there as placeholders.

Looking at screenshots of the models, it looks like BI has finally got the hang of making technically accurate (if incorrectly named) models, unlike back in the OFP days wink_o.gif

Btw, I got 25/25 on that quiz thingy  thumbs-up.gif

Well according to their website, they use 3D scanners to scan real objects into their games. Not sure as to how accurate that is and to what extent they use it though...

Yeah, but if they got Franze model..... whistle.gif

Damn right. I love that thing ^^. I wonder if it has a chance of being updated some time..

And yeah,seems so,though how crushed the cobra's cockpit frame on the inside looks is a bit disturbing..ah well...its all lookin great!

Well according to their website, they use 3D scanners to scan real objects into their games. Not sure as to how accurate that is and to what extent they use it though...

I wouldn't imagine it'd be too helpful for man-made objects.

I know for a fact that they use it for faces (if you read the PC Format article, you can see that they scanned in James Carey's face for use in the game)

The problem with laser scanning is that it is no good for interior details, and/or surfaces hidden under other objects (like a weapons pylon for e.g.) since the laser cannot "see" behind objects. Plus, it also creates a stupidly high "poly" (laser scanning is usually based on point clouds iirc - I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong tho wink_o.gif ) model, which is great for baking normal maps, but not so good for game content - the game version of the model has to be at a much reduced detail level, usually by hand.

Plus, the logistics of scanning something as big as a tank or helicopter are crazy. Getting hold of them to scan is a mission in its self, then creating/buying hardware big enough to scan it is seriously costly. So I imagine that large scale objects would still be created by hand.

But again, this is all assumption...

yeah man here in sweden i think only big univerisites and hospitals have them 3d scanners tounge2.gif they cost enourmous with money i've heard... whistle.gif

Plus, the logistics of scanning something as big as a tank or helicopter are crazy. Getting hold of them to scan is a mission in its self, then creating/buying hardware big enough to scan it is seriously costly. So I imagine that large scale objects would still be created by hand.

But again, this is all assumption...

Scale models... icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyways... I'm more concerned about "modability" than BIS content. One thing I haven't heard anything about is multiple weapon proxies, and proxies in general. Setobjecttexture may work for some things, but it's not perfect and its use is limited.