Sign in to follow this  
shadow

ArmA Progress Updates

I have an idea.

In ArmA or Game2's manual, BI should include a section with brief lessons in basic tactics that would come in handy in-game. This is like the Skip Barber racing lesson in Gran Turismo 3's manual and the lessons in the manual for Microsoft's Combat Flight Simulator. They could even include quoted tips from real soldiers in the same way that the Combat Flight Simulator's manual contained tips from former WWII pilots.

Most people that will play ArmA, including me, have no real life military experience nor do we know the first thing about combat tactics. Given any situation, I would like to decide on a course of action that a real soldier might take under similar circumstances. A little introductory lesson could get us started on the right foot. After all, "knowing is half the battle", right?

Guess you didn't play Soldner then?  rofl.gif

The game won't be bug free even if released in 2010.

I think it's a nice idea to give us VBS1 Lite to bridge the waiting time until Armed Assault.

Regarding that Australians in Vietnam, what rifle is it they are using in those screenshots? It looks awesome! wink_o.gif

Regarding that Australians in Vietnam, what rifle is it they are using in those screenshots? It looks awesome! wink_o.gif

The L1A1 (better known as the SLR - Self Loading Rifle). Based on the FN FAL, but made at the Lithgow Small Arms Factory in Australia. It was single shot only (but could be modified for full auto fire, which the SASR did).

Was also known as the "slur" and to the SASR it was "the bitch".

what makes you think there will ever be a game 2 , certainly the big french company could have finished it by now, maybe they dont think it will sell. last time i was on OPF2 site that last update was like 3 years old

Because "that big french company" and "OFP2" have nothing to do with BI. Game 2 is being developed under their [bI's] own influence and in their own time.

OFP2 or Operation Flashpoint 2 is being developed (supposedly) by Codemasters (last time I checked, they weren't french) not BI.

Oh, and why does everyone always want things yesterday? Its not like ArmA means life or death if it doesn't come out in the next month or so. Most of Europe has been having some fantastic weather recently, I suggest people go and enjoy it. I know I have.

No shit,updates are released one day and the next or two days after people are whining for more updates,omg updates more updates,have some patience,yeesh.

yes, and that video on google is low quali as hell as well.

better go back and see the original on "PC Format Website"... wink_o.gif

I'm so looking forward to use the track-IR in ArmA and the wirless 3D glasses.

Can you imagine what the average ArmA player will look like sitting in front of his screen playing CTI with his track-IR, 3D glasses and the suround headset on?? biggrin_o.gif

Edit:

in the last 10 minutes I've read 3 different threads and in each people being acused of being "elitist" either for owning VBS1 or for standing behind BIS for AmrA (thread about latest arma review)... omg get a freaking live and if you can't wait for ArmA then go and wait for AmericasArmy 2.7...or next CS update... banghead.gif

Regarding that Australians in Vietnam, what rifle is it they are using in those screenshots?  It looks awesome!  wink_o.gif

The L1A1 (better known as the SLR - Self Loading Rifle). Based on the FN FAL, but made at the Lithgow Small Arms Factory in Australia. It was single shot only (but could be modified for full auto fire, which the SASR did).

Was also known as the "slur" and to the SASR it was "the bitch".

Ah yes the SLR. I know a lot about it, but have never actually seen a picture before. All the guys I know who were in the UK Armed Forces before they got the shitty L85 rave on about it... wink_o.gif

Unfortunatley i only had the privelige of using the SLR for about 4 months as in 1987 the SA80 was introduced, which seems like a looooong time ago. My first posting was to NI and i hadn't even been trained to use the SLR, so when i was doing top-cover in a landrover i accidently "dropped" my magazine onto the road. A little embarrising to say the least. But the fact i knew the SA80 inside out and the majority of my battilion had no idea how to even attach the sling was a comfort, especially when i could skip the lessons biggrin_o.gif .......

Now that V2.0 of FFUR has been released that will tie me over for at least a month. It's moments like this that i realise what a fantastic community we have. notworthy.gif

Maybe this will give a clue to the release date as it's no good wining a compo with no game to go with it Closing date for the competition is August 31st 2006. biggrin_o.gif

Maybe this will give a clue to the release date as it's no good wining a compo with no game to go with it Closing date for the competition is August 31st 2006.   biggrin_o.gif

that is just the end of Q3.... and time to update the release date to Q4.... confused_o.gif

Maybe this will give a clue to the release date as it's no good wining a compo with no game to go with it Closing date for the competition is August 31st 2006. biggrin_o.gif

No thats the closing date. Then they can take as long as they want deciding and announcing the winner. Then they have to send the prizes out.

yeah taking a look on 36076 + ofp fans submissions to the contest is gonna take a while , maybe a month or more? Or if they got a special group that is both bis team and the trakc ir company team then it might go faster tounge2.gif Or what if its like Placebo alone checking every submission to the contest.... rofl.giftounge2.gif

i don't care that much about the release date cause im working a little on the side right now and trying to save up cash for upgrades for my comps crazy_o.gif

Damn, that's A LOT of submissions. Now that I think of it, they must have a way of checking for the closest axis numbers. The only reason they would have to read a submission would be incase of a tie, so I would assume they could determine the winner in a day, doesn't mean they will though.

wow_o.gif  delete this meesage/.... was answering to message which is old...... rofl.gif

i don't know if thats the exact number i just copied the number of memebers on this forum biggrin_o.gif

So you need to add the number of the people who don't have a account on this fourm and got the link send by a friend... biggrin_o.gif

Ok , im getting confused.....Game 2, Arma, OPF2 Vbs1,

Alright , so how many are scheduled to come out? , and if OPF2 is, when is that scheduled to come out?, i mean, lol when is the first date of disapointment

Lol? Whats so funny about that?

Game 2 is the supposed true OFP sequal,being worked on by Bohemia Interactive but at the same time,a seperate team that is not working on Armed Assault. It is more of a deeper infantry sim,with possible rpg elements and more things we have yet to hear of,I don't want to give any false info so I will stop there as we do not know much about it,just hopes.

Armed Assault was supposed to be OFP:E on PC,but due to unable to find a publisher BIS began to work on it some more and it became what it is today,which is much better. It sports new abilities that were not availible in OFP such as multiple gunner positions and various new scripts (I don't deal in coding so I can't tell you what it all does.) Aside from that the game is supposed to be able to handle more than OFP itself in terms of model detail,or atleast work with it better. Texturers will get the ability to add normal maps to their model which can make 2D texture pieces appear 3D which save alot in faces/polygons. It also has things such as dynamic shadows which is a large plus on the graphic scale,nothing is better than seeing an object cast a shadow on itself and others.

Aside from that the weather system is more dynamic,it support IR tracker and has smoother animations and much more.

VBS1 is military training software developed by BIS (Austrailia I believe),very similiar to OFP atleast in appearence. It is pretty expensive but isn't supposed to be something that you just go out and buy at the store. I can't give any real details on it as I have not played it so I don't know what it is capable of,its pluses or minuses.

OFP2 is the 'sequal' to OFP that is apparently being developped by Codemasters,though details are still sketchy at best,its supposedly vietnam based but nobody knows for sure,there were some images of "OFP2" released that bore the BI insignia in the corners so we have no idea if its true or false,game 2 exists,OFP2 is still speculative.

But either way,game2 will be OFP2 to OFP fans because BI made it.

They should make a sticky READ FIRST: Discription of games

I mean thats the most FAQ ever. WTF is OFP2,Game 2, Armed Assault etc. Well mods its up to you whistle.gif

Game2 will be using the same engine as VBS2 will.

And here is a review of VBS2 at this years ITEC in London:

VBS Review by Wildgoose .So this gives you a "small idea" what will be in Game2.

Quote[/b] ]The soldier could interact with objects and Ai. It looked like all objects actually weigh something.

In the demo the soldier walked to a table and looked at a piece of paper on the table, an inventory box popped up and gave details of this object ie contents of letter and its total weight!

Looks like everything has a weight, and if you carry too much you will soon become fatigued!

The demo showed interaction with Ai soldiers in its early stages also. simple Hello, goodbyes, what time is it, where you been, where you going, what you seen etc....

ArmA could be seen as a "in between" OFP & Game2 imho.

The engine has been updated a lot for ArmA and I bet people will love this.

VBS1 is (as mentioned above) the military version of OFP.

It is developed by BIA in Australia and the Lead Developer is Seventh.The engine has been improved over OFP but not like for ArmA and Game2/VBS2. You find a lot of details about the different BI products and links on the Bohemia Community Wikki Website