Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

Armed Assault

Just from looking at screenshots and reading the press release I can see a few improvements.

1. Improved graphics: AA has 3D trees and bushes, not billboards or 3D/billboard hybrids.

2. 100km X 100km maps total out to 10,000 km^2, which indicates streaming terrain. This means modmakers like myself can now create extremely detailed environments.

3. Improved engine for physics. I see water in waves on the ocean, something unheard of in OFP. If it uses the improvements added to VBS1, we can do a lot more for the community.

What I hope it includes:

A. Better collision detection and clipping problems solved.

B. Allows smaller terrain details and water at multiple levels.

C. Better AI.

Not impressesd. I'll save my money and keep playing OFP:GOTY with the mods.

I'll post again in 2006 when OFP2 gets released. Until then...

How can you be not impressed?

A. You haven't seen more than a dozen screenshots of this new game. B. BIS went through the trouble to give you something to tide you over until OFP2, and C. all the improvements the mod community was asking for the original game have been delivered until the next engine comes out.

What does it take to impress cheapskates like you, flames blowing out your ass? A bevvy of hookers and a thousand gallons of beer?

If you don't want to spend the money, keep playing OFPR, the rest of us I can guarantee you, will be playing AA.

If you don't want to spend the money, keep playing OFPR, the rest of us I can guarantee you, will be playing AA.

Now your title really fits wink_o.gif

AA looks excellant. This should make the mod teams excited. A nice reward to the loyal fans.

Thanks BIS

... i don`t want to belive AA is just DX9 conversion of OpF, and just that ... with minor fixs ... please BIS, confirm this ... tounge_o.gif

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a weight-based inventory system, not a slot-based. smile_o.gif

IMO BIS has just speraded more confusion this time, first they show us some uber-leet pics that we all wanted to see, then Placebo says "play with number 3", then we get some game called AA (name makes me puke) with some touch-ups in graphics witch don't seem impressive because it looks like theyre playing it on 800Mhz machine, I mean c'mon BIS you can do better, at this time I'm quite dissapointed if this is OFP2 and if not, and if OFP2 is actually what they have shown us at first, BIS is going with EA style policy: Get quick ca$h with AA then pump out OFP2 in the next year. AA is same as OFP XBOX - a total failiure, from my point of view I have yet to see something from BIS that isn't possible in OFP (not counting lightning). Also if theyre working on OFP2 why are they bothering with AA if we're gonna have OFP2 in 2006?

IMO we currently stand on this:

-Codies own OFP and geniuses at BIS couldn't get any creative than ArmedAss.

-We've seen two sets of pics with no idea witch game is the first ones from

-We're gonna get OFP1+ (a.k.a. ArmedAss) in Q4 2005

-Since BIS didn't make up with codies first set of pics isn't OFP2 but ArmedAss2

-IMO I'd rather that they didn't say anything than this, again it's all nice and dandy but if this is all we're gonna see I am not impressed.

BUT Maybe BIS will prove me wrong wink_o.gif

From Gameshark.com

Quote[/b] ]Bohemia Interactive, the creators of the ultra popular military shooter Operation Flashpoint, showed us the sequel to Operation Flashpoint at E3. If you were a fan of the original Operation Flashpoint or are looking forward to the Xbox version soon to be released, then you will be floored by the sequel in the works for the PC. Armed Assault takes place in 2010 as war breaks out in Europe and Asia and you are part of the forces deployed to take action. Much like the first Operation Flashpoint, the game revolves around realistic military combat and attempts to accurately bring you a glimpse of how a real war zone would be. The game is split up into three chapters which is the only break from the start of the war until the end that there is in the game. In each chapter you will have different and increasing responsibilities as you improve your rank, rising from a grunt in the first chapter, to having a squad to command in the second and then a Special Forces group in the third.

Much to Operation Flashpoint?s reputation, there is no shortage of vehicles to be found here. Many of the vehicles in the game are based on real world designs of vehicles that are currently in development but are fully functional in game. The sequel still has the incredibly large battle zone and can handle hundreds of soldiers on screen at once while there will be hundreds of thousands actually in the world at one time. The behavior of the other soldiers is dynamic and not scripted which means the soldiers will do what they think they should be doing according to their surroundings. Civilians in the game will act the same way and will retain a memory of what they have experienced. If you ask someone if they have seen something, they will tell you they have if they have, and will tell you how long ago it was.

Much like the first game, weather will play a large role in this game as well. When it is rainy and stormy, it will affect the water and waves to make missions on boats more difficult as opposed to a clear day on calm seas. Sunny days will blind you if you are fighting towards the sun, giving the enemy the advantage and forcing you to reevaluate your strategy. Like the first game, the sequel will have a built in mission editor which will allow you to create your own missions and customize them however you see fit, right down to the changes in the weather. Online multiplayer will allow for full scale battles to take place and bring the action to a whole new level. Although the game won?t be out until late next year, keep your eyes open for more information, it is definitely shaping up to be one of the best military shooters out there.

*Bolded Part is what I find most interesting

*Imagines self calling air strikes on civilians so that the enemy can't find him... then realizes that is mean and will just take all the civilians with him.

IMO BIS has just speraded more confusion this time, first they show us some uber-leet pics that we all wanted to see, then Placebo says "play with number 3", then we get some game called AA (name makes me puke) with some touch-ups in graphics witch don't seem impressive because it looks like theyre playing it on 800Mhz machine, I mean c'mon BIS you can do better, at this time I'm quite dissapointed if this is OFP2 and if not, and if OFP2 is actually what they have shown us at first, BIS is going with EA style policy: Get quick ca$h with AA then pump out OFP2 in the next year. AA is same as OFP XBOX - a total failiure, from my point of view I have yet to see something from BIS that isn't possible in OFP (not counting lightning). Also if theyre working on OFP2 why are they bothering with AA if we're gonna have OFP2 in 2006?

IMO we currently stand on this:

-Codies own OFP and geniuses at BIS couldn't get any creative than ArmedAss.

-We've seen two sets of pics with no idea witch game is the first ones from

-We're gonna get OFP1+ (a.k.a. ArmedAss) in Q4 2005

-Since BIS didn't make up with codies first set of pics isn't OFP2 but ArmedAss2

-IMO I'd rather that they didn't say anything than this, again it's all nice and dandy but if this is all we're gonna see I am not impressed.

BUT Maybe BIS will prove me wrong  wink_o.gif

Bud, you might want to read up on the past few days news and then edit this rant. I'm sure once you're informed, you'll be feeling a bit sheepish. wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Sniperwolf572 Posted on May 19 2005,20:34

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BUT Maybe BIS will prove me wrong

Sounds like a challenge. BIS has done it in the past, and I, for one, have great confidence that they will in the near future. smile_o.gif

From Gameshark.com
Quote[/b] ]Bohemia Interactive, the creators of the ultra popular military shooter Operation Flashpoint, showed us the sequel to Operation Flashpoint at E3. If you were a fan of the original Operation Flashpoint or are looking forward to the Xbox version soon to be released, then you will be floored by the sequel in the works for the PC. Armed Assault takes place in 2010 as war breaks out in Europe and Asia and you are part of the forces deployed to take action. Much like the first Operation Flashpoint, the game revolves around realistic military combat and attempts to accurately bring you a glimpse of how a real war zone would be. The game is split up into three chapters which is the only break from the start of the war until the end that there is in the game. In each chapter you will have different and increasing responsibilities as you improve your rank, rising from a grunt in the first chapter, to having a squad to command in the second and then a Special Forces group in the third.

Much to Operation Flashpoint?s reputation, there is no shortage of vehicles to be found here. Many of the vehicles in the game are based on real world designs of vehicles that are currently in development but are fully functional in game. The sequel still has the incredibly large battle zone and can handle hundreds of soldiers on screen at once while there will be hundreds of thousands actually in the world at one time. The behavior of the other soldiers is dynamic and not scripted which means the soldiers will do what they think they should be doing according to their surroundings. Civilians in the game will act the same way and will retain a memory of what they have experienced. If you ask someone if they have seen something, they will tell you they have if they have, and will tell you how long ago it was.

Much like the first game, weather will play a large role in this game as well. When it is rainy and stormy, it will affect the water and waves to make missions on boats more difficult as opposed to a clear day on calm seas. Sunny days will blind you if you are fighting towards the sun, giving the enemy the advantage and forcing you to reevaluate your strategy. Like the first game, the sequel will have a built in mission editor which will allow you to create your own missions and customize them however you see fit, right down to the changes in the weather. Online multiplayer will allow for full scale battles to take place and bring the action to a whole new level. Although the game won?t be out until late next year, keep your eyes open for more information, it is definitely shaping up to be one of the best military shooters out there.

*Bolded Part is what I find most interesting

*Imagines self calling air strikes on civilians so that the enemy can't find him... then realizes that is mean and will just take all the civilians with him.

based on info out there, this seems more like ofp2 than AA.

maybe they got the name wrong.

but other than that it sounds lovely. seems like a persitent game world where how you do in one campaign influnces the next.

this is based on the sentence... "The sequel still has the incredibly large battle zone and can handle hundreds of soldiers on screen at once while there will be hundreds of thousands actually in the world at one time. "

and the promise fo the AI... smile_o.gif

Yes we need a mod to verify that this article is describing ArmedAss. If it is then I'll be happy to temporarily forget OFP2, or whatever they choose to call it. This dynamic AI stuff and the idea that AIs remember what they have witnessed is extremely impressive. I always wanted to make an anti-GTA mission where you're a police squad assigned to bust the theft ring. This now seems actually possible. Also (sorry to go off topic a bit) a mission where you are a news gathering team with a mission to expose a controversy using interviews, cameras, phone bugs, etc... This also seems possible under the new dynamic AI system.

Feedback anyone?

Quote[/b] ]Civilians in the game will act the same way and will retain a memory of what they have experienced. If you ask someone if they have seen something, they will tell you they have if they have, and will tell you how long ago it was.

Amazing. wow_o.gif

Quick graphical comparison:

Armed Assault:

9284935uv.th.jpg

Ofp with modifed ECP, dxdll, llaumax and high resolution ground textures:

dxdshot11165r3ex.th.jpg

If only they could use anti-aliasing, anisotropic filtering and higher textures details to make their screenshots...

i pissed my pants when i saw all this new stuff tounge_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Civilians in the game will act the same way and will retain a memory of what they have experienced. If you ask someone if they have seen something, they will tell you they have if they have, and will tell you how long ago it was.

Amazing. wow_o.gif

Do you know what gameplay element this opens up? "Leave no witnesses"... wow_o.gif excellent move from BIS! You should be able to set a condition like CiviTalks true;false so you can make them talk in different ways if they are reluctant.

I did a lot of searching on the web and it paid off.

I've found the background to Armed Assaults renewed US/Russian conflict:

Quote[/b] ]Lake disappears, baffling villagers

Thu May 19, 1:15 PM ET

MOSCOW (Reuters) - A Russian village was left baffled Thursday after its lake disappeared overnight.

NTV television showed pictures of a giant muddy hole bathed in summer sun, while fishermen from the village of Bolotnikovo looked on disconsolately.

"It is very dangerous. If a person had been in this disaster, he would have had almost no chance of survival. The trees flew downwards, under the ground," said Dmitry Zaitsev, a local Emergencies Ministry official interviewed by the channel.

Officials in Nizhegorodskaya region, on the Volga river east of Moscow, said water in the lake might have been sucked down into an underground water-course or cave system, but some villagers had more sinister explanations.

"I am thinking, well, America has finally got to us," said one old woman, as she sat on the ground outside her house.

MOSCOW (Reuters) - A Russian village was left baffled Thursday after its lake disappeared overnight.

NTV television showed pictures of a giant muddy hole bathed in summer sun, while fishermen from the village of Bolotnikovo looked on disconsolately.

"It is very dangerous. If a person had been in this disaster, he would have had almost no chance of survival. The trees flew downwards, under the ground," said Dmitry Zaitsev, a local Emergencies Ministry official interviewed by the channel.

Officials in Nizhegorodskaya region, on the Volga river east of Moscow, said water in the lake might have been sucked down into an underground water-course or cave system, but some villagers had more sinister explanations.

"I am thinking, well, America has finally got to us," said one old woman, as she sat on the ground outside her house.

WTH avon? crazy_o.gif

WTH avon?  crazy_o.gif

normal ofp2 mania, waddaya expect crazy_o.giftounge_o.gif

2.  100km X 100km maps total out to 10,000 km^2, which indicates streaming terrain.  This means modmakers like myself can now create extremely detailed environments.

Let's concentrate back on the island's extent.

Schoeler, I think you should rethink your thesis. biggrin_o.gif

The showcard says: "New map covering over 100 sq. km, in extreme detail."

square.gif

According to this article from 2002, Nogova is around 100kmË› big.

So no increase? Btw, I'd be satisfied anyway. wink_o.gif

This is not ofp2, this is just an upgrade of ofp. If you go to ofp info you will see the screen shots of ofp2.

it says that armed assault is expected to be release later this year and ofp2 will be expected to be release late 2006

EDIT: Ive got a new subtitle for Avon - the queen of spam

I made you this heading for your web site, nothing extraordinary, just like that, for pleasure. Inclassable106.gifbiggrin_o.gif

armed_logo.jpg

armed_logo.jpg