Sign in to follow this  
Eviscerator

Joint ammo and magazines (jam)

If we dont use JAM we surely will implement that, but i must say why download our weapons if you dont want our values?

There is a idea behind our weapons and atm JAM doesnt fit into that

If we dont use JAM we surely will implement that, but i must say why download our weapons if you dont want our values?

because you will release the best tanks out there with a beautiful crew. I want to use that crew. I also want to use JAM. And it's soooo easy to include JAM compabillity while using your own mags. Just some values in the config.cpp.

And also I suggest you to play a bit with Nam Pack 2. That mod has the greatest battles that you can get in OFP IMHO. (ok the sound is crap but the firefights are so cool).

I say HD Weapons rock. No 350m headshots with iron sights. (try to do that in real life with any assault rifle with iron sights - it's not impossible but it's extremly difficult).

I'd download them because they look cool. I bet your rifles will look a lot better than the default BIS ones. However, I may not like the sounds you choose, or I might prefer JAM's sound. It's a matter of personal taste, that's all. smile_o.gif

Man, those look nice. Can't wait till I get to shoot some Deltas with 'em!

Factory fresh, its far from being done and i just put the texture on it to test.

But now back to topic folks  smile_o.gif

@Hellfish

Sorry, i forgot to compress the image wow_o.gif

The scope isnt correctly aligned i guess look at the guys eyeline and the sights socket tounge_o.gif .

Nice gun though but too much shiny textures.

Without reading this whole thread (sorry if this has been addressed), what happens if someone wants to make a JAM compliant pack, but also has weapons in that pack that don't have a JAM equivalent magazine.

For instance, I have been thinking about making the HK pack JAM version (if I get permission), which includes a HK-UMP (.45ACP 25 round mag).

Would I just use JAM mags where possible and leave the other "as-is", or would I create my own secondary jam cfg file that contains the extra mags?

Added in JAM 2:

JAM_45ACP_UMP_25Mag {Single, FullAuto};

JAM_45ACP_UMP_25HDMag {Single, FullAuto}; HD

;)

However the question is a good one for other magazines that don't exist in JAM. What I do is to code the weapon and magazine in your pbo (using your tags), but try to trace back the ammo type to a JAM one. If there is no JAM one, then make a custom ammo using the JAM tracer line (if i want the tracers in ).

Once again, JAM is not meant to cover every single weapon, there will be many circumstances where there are no Mags in JAM for the weapon you want, in that case, just code it as you normally would.

SelectThis

Yes, I don't mind if RHS decides to make their own magazines and such, but I'll beg them to at least make their weapons JAM compatible. You don't have to include JAM with your releases, just that line in the config that lets me put JAM mags into your weapons. smile_o.gif

Exactly, and while I´m playing with your weapons I might want to use Russian units and weapons that aren´t RHS at the same time, then it would be strange if the AK74s in that mission all sound different and I can´t use AK74 ammo that I pick up from other units. rock.gif  wink_o.gif

Erm, assuming that the other units use JAM as well, of course. Still, if RHS joined the JAM front it would further encourage more mods and addon makers to use it.

And also I suggest you to play a bit with Nam Pack 2. That mod has the greatest battles that you can get in OFP IMHO. (ok the sound is crap but the firefights are so cool).

I say HD Weapons rock. No 350m headshots with iron sights. (try to do that in real life with any assault rifle with iron sights - it's not impossible but it's extremly difficult).

I agree, but a bit of config file changes can make it a lot more agreeable to the ears (jam... nam... they sorta rhyme. coincidence? i think not!). Adding jam to the nampack actually got me playing it a lot again (at least until Tonal came out). I kept hoping that the NamPack would be officially updated to JAM status, but it doesnt look like it will happen sad_o.gif

I kept hoping that the NamPack would be officially updated to JAM status, but it doesnt look like it will happen  sad_o.gif

i wouldn't say it will never get updated.

Adding jam to the nampack actually got me playing it a lot again

I know I know. I just talk about official Nam Pack ;)

Without reading this whole thread (sorry if this has been addressed), what happens if someone wants to make a JAM compliant pack, but also has weapons in that pack that don't have a JAM equivalent magazine.

For instance, I have been thinking about making the HK pack JAM version (if I get permission), which includes a HK-UMP (.45ACP 25 round mag).

Would I just use JAM mags where possible and leave the other "as-is", or would I create my own secondary jam cfg file that contains the extra mags?

Added in JAM 2:

JAM_45ACP_UMP_25Mag {Single, FullAuto};

JAM_45ACP_UMP_25HDMag {Single, FullAuto}; HD

;)

However the question is a good one for other magazines that don't exist in JAM. What I do is to code the weapon and magazine in your pbo (using your tags), but try to trace back the ammo type to a JAM one. If there is no JAM one, then make a custom ammo using the JAM tracer line (if i want the tracers in ).

Once again, JAM is not meant to cover every single weapon, there will be many circumstances where there are no Mags in JAM for the weapon you want, in that case, just code it as you normally would.

SelectThis

Great, thanks for the info smile_o.gif

Even if it is the new hailbringer you still cant force anyone to use it if it interferes with our idea, simple as that.

But i knew this discussion would come after my first post today

But as i wrote  a few posts ago i think over it atm, i will talk to a few people and then decide... after all our weapon pack is still far from release anyway.

AND by the way, as Hellfish mentioned the heavy machineguns are for supressive fire mainly, well fear is no factor the KI knows and due to the fact the weapon isnt elevated when firing long bursts its not really hard to hit on longer ranges as a player even with HD version.

thats why there is a normal version which still shoots and is alot more freakin accurate

dont use hd weapons, if u want accurate shooting period, and the current machine gunners do miss b4 they can get ya

ive been using the opf pack usually equipped with hd weapons and they seem to shoot pretty good. they can actually hit u.

especially in the jungle of tonal

try that for instance

for squads of hd weapons vs a squad of delta or lasers spetsnaz

thats a gun fight in which hd weapons are so fun to equip with the ai, coz they can still kill u, try it plz, i reckon youll change ur mind with hd weapons

will they at least have hd weapons?

id like to c ur mod implement that

or will they be like the super accurate, olympic sniper shooting, units of the hk pack, which scares u to shoot at them due to their long range accurate shooting

me personally, the hk pack was good but i hated using it due to the long range engagements of the units, which gives u hs every 3rd shot they fired form 400m away using a freakin rifle

Man, those look nice. Can't wait till I get to shoot some Deltas with 'em!

youll be dead by 500m b4 u spot n e delta

I think that JAM can be more interesting when the HD and normal magazines get use togueder on a proper way.

You can combine skills and magazines and get a preaty reallistic force. Now, all depence of what kind of mision you are building.

Mixing acurate sniper with really unacurate gunners and decent riflemans make sense to me, and if the enemy or suporting forces are using HD mags to simulate little or not training at all, then we are tallking about reallity.

I had a nice setup the other day.

Resistance friendly to no one, all with HD mags defending the town, with some light armour and vehicles here and there to give the AI something to blow up ( really nice when using Golmembers explo-mod)

East using HD mags mixed with normal mags, coming from all flanks with a cuple of T55.

Me in a BH, West, they all want me dead.

Managed to crash on the middle of the town and try to get away from the battle, and I came across a long game, with not end fire fights, and being chased by the two sides, but when they come across each other they engage into batttle.

Nice, but if I didn't have the HD mags into the units the game would last to seconds, they would be all dead or they would down my Black hawk and kill me really fast and easy= NO FUN.

Ok, I have another observation.

The JAM tracers are too bright in daylight, WAAAAAAAYYYY too bright. Tracers, especially from smaller caliber weapons are not easily visible in daylight. They should be failt and washed out.

Doesn't JAM use the standard tracers? AFAIK there is no way to change the standard tracers witout scripts like Aeon has done.

Ok, I have another observation.

The JAM tracers are too bright in daylight, WAAAAAAAYYYY too bright.  Tracers, especially from smaller caliber weapons are not easily visible in daylight.  They should be failt and washed out.

This is OFP not RL. You can't tell OFP to make more visible tracers at night. So you have to choose. Or as Aeon showed you could script tracers. But I don't know if it affects performance. We'll see when he releases them.

Could the tracers be choosable?

You have normal mags and HD mags, how about adding the same ones without the tracers? I know the fille will be much biggere, but once you got it you don't need to redownload it.

you can turn off tracers in OFP...rather than having mags built without tracers, just turn them off.