Sign in to follow this  
Eviscerator

Joint ammo and magazines (jam)

We appreciate the problem of adding the JAM files increasing the size of downloads. What we are in the process of doing is providing a centralised source for download (at ofpec) and making it AAE compliant so that it becomes widely distributed.

By doing that, you will only need to state that your addon uses JAM and then provide a link to the download.

The problem i see with providing a JAM "lite" version with just the magazines is that users may have problems working out which version they need for missions etc.

We are in the process of finalising JAM 2, resources are pretty slim now with Evis unable to work on the project due to RL issues, so major changes and rewrites just aren't possible.

SelectThis

I request the permission to re-use your "soundhit" repertory, I would like to copy it (with all hit sounds) inside my own addon.

Of course you will be credited

We appreciate the problem of adding the JAM files increasing the size of downloads. What we are in the process of doing is providing a centralised source for download (at ofpec) and making it AAE compliant so that it becomes widely distributed.

By doing that, you will only need to state that your addon uses JAM and then provide a link to the download.

The problem i see with providing a JAM "lite" version with just the magazines is that users may have problems working out which version they need for missions etc.

We are in the process of finalising JAM 2, resources are pretty slim now with Evis unable to work on the project due to RL issues, so major changes and rewrites just aren't possible.

SelectThis

very true

on rebel road i dont know which mag goes for which gun

i guess il just have to learn

and the first step is

the numbers of the magazines

now wat does the number X number stand for?

is it the gun size, bullet size by diametre

i dont have a clue pls explain n e 1

the x stands for nothing really (maybe 'by') its just a linker they use to describe a round.

In laymens terms - calliber of the round (diameter of the bore of a firearm or you could look at it as the width of bullet i suppose) x ('by') length of the case of the round ie, a 5.56 x 39 case is is 5.56 wide where the bullet goes in 'by' 39mm high.

Generally speaking the higher each figure is the harder the round hits, the flatter it travels and the further it goes. Also the higher the caliber gets recoil also increases.

I'm sure someone can provide a more technical definition.

JAM now has a home at ofpec

http://www.ofpec.com/editors/JAM.php

Aeon, sorry for the delay in responding, yes feel free to use the sounds. We split the sounds into a seperate PBO for a couple of reasons.

1) People can now edit the JAM_Sound.pbo to use the sounds they want, without out affecting any CRC checks on the Magazine section.

2) People can put together new JAM sound packs (not replacing just one sound ....but the whole lot) for added variety. People are then free to use whichever ones they prefer.

If you want to include the sounds directly into your addon, then do so with credits, else you can reference the JAM_Sounds.pbo directly.

re: Naming, it is a bit confusing, but the readme should help.

SelectThis

As there are already the AT-4 and the RPG-7 in the pack, i would really like to see JAM to include more launchers in the future. Namely I'd like to see a proper M47 Dragon, a PzF3, a leichte PzF, a RPO-A "shmel", RPG-2, a RPG-16D (for SpezNaz), RPG-18 and RPG-22.

I can understand that many of these would require some decent models first, but at least some of them could already be made as the models exist. You could make a RPO-A by using the current OFP AT-4 model, which in fact is a RPO-A and not an AT-4. Furthermore you could make an RPG-18 by using a retextured LAW (looks very close), a RPG-22 by using a retextured OFP RPG, and you could also create both RPG-2 and RPG-16D by slightly modifying the RPG-7 base model.

Another thing that i would like to see is that you maybe implement disposable one-shot-only launchers, like the guys from Frenchpoint have done. The M136 AT4, M72 LAW, RPG-18 and RPG-22 would be affected by this. I think such a feature would really add to the realism and believability of JAM.

the x stands for nothing really (maybe 'by') its just a linker they use to describe a round.

In laymens terms - calliber of the round (diameter of the bore of a firearm or you could look at it as the width of bullet i suppose) x ('by') length of the case of the round ie, a 5.56 x 39 case is is 5.56 wide where the bullet goes in 'by' 39mm high.

Generally speaking the higher each figure is the harder the round hits, the flatter it travels and the further it goes. Also the higher the caliber gets recoil also increases.

got n e sites?

or should i look in the encyclopedia?

FYI,

I just released my first JAM addon. It adds JAM compatability to Laser's Russian SF pack.

More info in this thread.

I'm curios about something.

I thought that JAM addons would work different.

Lets say that I make an Addon, and I want to make it JAM compatible.

I'll make my units, and then my weapons(AK47 for example), and then give my weapons amunition.

This amunition is just the same amunition that comes from the JAM pack(amunition that I take from the JAM pack), so my AK47 is using the same mags as the units from someone ellse that is using JAM.

The point, why should I need to make sure that everybody needs to download the hall JAM pack?

Shouldn't the JAM pack be only neaded for mod and addon makers?

I hoppe that I make my selfe clear and don't confuse anyone.

Is not a complain or anything like that, is something that I think could be done different.

No, JAM is not a remote addon, it wont work unless the user actually has it, its just like every other addon. It codes the magazines and weapons into OFP, what the addon maker basically does is then make their weapon use that magazine, meaning that they will then be able to pick up the magazine from JAM compatible addons that carry a weapon that uses that type of magazine.

Im not too sure i understand how you expected it to work, so that only the addon makers needed it? I dont understand how that would be possible and to still have the commonality of the magazines...

I find, that the easiest way to make sure that the mags work properly, is to:

Combine an extensive knowledge of small arms and ammunition, and apply it to the JAM project.

IE:

I know that the AK-47 fires the Soviet 7.62x39mm round. That means that the bullet (7.62) is that distance from groove-groove inside the rifled barrel (To my understanding) and that the cartridge is by 39mm. I know that the AK uses a 30 round "Bananna" (Whoever came up with that, I want to smack.) magazine. So, by picking a 7.62x39 30 Round Mag, and giving myself a AK-47, I know I'm picking up the right ammunition.

It takes a while to get used to though, but is by FAR, THE best system I've used in a while. Eventually it becomes secondhand.

AK

Question about the new eventhandler.

In the JAM 2 PDF, it says to place the following line in a unit's init line to add JAM effects:

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">this addEventHandler [“Firedâ€,{if ( (_this select 1 in[{Throw},{JAM_AT4Launcher}, {JAM_RPG7Launcher}, {JAM_M72LAWLauncher}]) or (_this select 4 in [{JAM_MarkerGrenadeammo}]) ) then {_this exec “\JAM_Magazines\FX\firedEH.sqsâ€}}]

This is copied and pasted directly from the pdf.

As is, it gives an "Invalid Number in Expression" error in the editor. What is the correct format for this command?

Seifer posted this in the DG forums.

http://www.seifer.nightmail.ru/jam_new.jpg

IMO those look much better than the current ones (no offense Suchey!) because they blend in with the briefing tablet quite a bit better.

If not this, I suggest using the old "background" for the guns (default BIS background) but then just adding a small "JAM" logo to the upper or lower right hand corner.

Quote[/b] ]Rudedog, are you adding the EH in the cpp or in the mission editor?

In the misson editor. The one for cpp's works just fine. I use it in my addon and it works flawlessly.

In the JAM 2 document, there is a line provided for use in the mission editor that does not work when you put it in a unit's init field.  Or am I missing something?

No, JAM is not a remote addon, it wont work unless the user actually has it, its just like every other addon. It codes the magazines and weapons into OFP, what the addon maker basically does is then make their weapon use that magazine, meaning that they will then be able to pick up the magazine from JAM compatible addons that carry a weapon that uses that type of magazine.

Im not too sure i understand how you expected it to work, so that only the addon makers needed it? I dont understand how that would be possible and to still have the commonality of the magazines...

The way I was thinking about it is like that:

The addon maker have the JAM pack, and pick a magazine that will go with his/her weapon addon ( The best ever modeled AK47, for example).

Then all he/she do is add the magazine to the pbo, and when someone ellse create anoder addon using the same magazine, they should be able to share magazines in game even knowing they coming from different addons.

The only difference would be the weapon model.

This way, the players don't need to download the full JAM pack.

In other words, as long as the addon makers are using the same JAM mags, it shouldn't matter if is only one weapon in the addon or is twenty, the JAM magazines will be suplied in the addon/s, that meens sounds, configurations, and so on, but only the magazines that the addon requiere.

But you guys probably though about this and is something about it that won't work...

rock.gif

Just an idea.

Excuse my English.

@cero.

Rudedog,

K I'll check the line and get back to you with a working version.

@Cero

Interesting point, however I don't think that would work that well. What would be required (if I follow your idea properly) woudl be that the would have to use the same classname in their own PBO in order to allow interchangeability. This would cause a conflict with the JAM_Magazines.

The way we see JAM working is for JAM to be downloaded as a seperate addon (see the JAM page at ofpec). THen if an addon maker wants to use a magazine from JAM, they do not need to include the whole file with the addon (as BAS has done to date). All they would have to do is state which version of JAM is required (eg JAM 2) then people who don't already have JAM 2 can DL it.

In the long run I think this would actually make it easier for the smaller addon makers to produce weapons that can be used by a wider range of mission makers.

SelectThis

so does the length include its the bullet shell?

how did u find out all about this

n e web sites pls

really wanna know about calibers

Rudedog,

K I'll check the line and get back to you with a working version.

Cool, thanks!

Seifer posted this in the DG forums.

http://www.seifer.nightmail.ru/jam_new.jpg

IMO those look much better than the current ones (no offense Suchey!) because they blend in with the briefing tablet quite a bit better.

If not this, I suggest using the old "background" for the guns (default BIS background) but then just adding a small "JAM" logo to the upper or lower right hand corner.

Yep they look better smile_o.gif Any chance you guys will change to it? Anyway thanks for making jam, it's such a nice idea!

Backpacks biggrin_o.gif

Please, this would be a very nice addition.

some one mentioned it a couple of posts ago

he said carrying 20mags!

dunno if he was part of the jam team though coz a backpack got released that had the same functions he mentioned but more