Sign in to follow this  
nyles

Interface discussion

This one's a biggy for those who use AI a lot:

We need a way to cancel the 'scan horizon' order.

Uh, that's a scripting command. Or do you mean selecting them, going to the Target menu, and then select no target? Will that make them stop turning circles at the horizon?

I made test.

Here you've got hud in various resolutions (scaled to 640 to see (no) differences)

1280x1024:

hud1280_scaled.jpg

1024x768:

hud1024_scaled.jpg

800x600:

hud800_scaled.jpg

640x480:

hud640.jpg

original screenshots: http://gliniak.ovh.org/my_files/bis/images/hud/hud.zip

So independly to resolution, icons, font and hud will take the same percentage of screen (which is (imho) too big percentage in arma2).

I only wish for a scaleable UI, the current UI that we can see in the videos are way too big and take too much space.

Maybe let it be editable like in _scared to mention it_ World Of Warcraft, where you could customize redefine your own UI in XML files (good example since it is easy to read for human, and easy to parse via Document Object Model for a machine).

You could set by attributes for each element a custom background texture, with, size, position etc. and between element's tags you would place variables for corresponding interface data.

sample:

<userinterface>
<block width="640px" height="96px" pos="0,512px" bg="color:rgb(10%,30%,10%)">:unitlist</block>
</unitlist>
</userinterface>

Hello everybody, this is my first post. Some of my ideas...

Huge (optional) training at the beginning of the game. OFP series (OFP and ArmA, not OFP2) is awesome and is one of the most complex game on the market, but unfortunately it doesn't have proper training.

In my opinion, training should contain:

Many hints and tips for military strategies and different approaches to combat

Learning all the keyboard functions and key combination in different situations (please more user-friendly interface)

Shooting with some of the weapons on different targets and driving few vehicles, basics of squad leading

Testing all this in particular situations with guidance - learning on how to be more efficient in combat and more stealthy, how to use terrain, topographic map and compass more efficiently, etc.

Hello everybody, this is my first post. Some of my ideas...

Huge (optional) training at the beginning of the game. OFP series (OFP and ArmA, not OFP2) is awesome and is one of the most complex game on the market, but unfortunately it doesn't have proper training.

In my opinion, training should contain:

Many hints and tips for military strategies and different approaches to combat

Learning all the keyboard functions and key combination in different situations (please more user-friendly interface)

Shooting with some of the weapons on different targets and driving few vehicles, basics of squad leading

Testing all this in particular situations with guidance - learning on how to be more efficient in combat and more stealthy, how to use terrain, topographic map and compass more efficiently, etc.

Why would you need training for that, just use you brain hehehehehe

Probably already mentioned (didn't bother to read the whole thread), but anyways:

A qualifyer key, i.e. shift, to activate 'dangerous' commands, like Blow Charges or Jump Out (while high in the air). Without shift, it would be shown in a different or muted color.

This has caused me so much agony you wouldn't believe me.

I'd think that would be a good choice CarlGustaffa. In machine logic many dangerous actions or services have two part controls so the user has to consciously commit to it.

On another note like this, since I'm sure BIS is looking at the suggestions less and less as release approaches -I've some (ignorant) concerns on the high command interface. If I'm commanding large numbers of troops, it may be difficult to synchronise them in an op, command them complexly together. One thing that may ever so possibly be easy, is a command planner and a 'commit' button for the high commander. If there is one, I apologize, I have not seen it. Basically, set all the commands to the troops you care to, and hit commit to start them off together. Maybe even use command triggers for follow on plans after the initial actions take place. Sort of like the mission editor is now, just for ingame control... WOW that got alot larger than my first idea of a simple 'commit' button to sync the troops. Sorry, I got inspired :p

@Stimpak_Addict:

I have a 'gaming mouse', and even on that I can not use click with middle mouse button to select, I had to map another mousebutton to select. But even then, sometimes the mouse wheel 'automatically' selects something I did not intend:

* Blowing a charge instead of setting the timer.

* Bailing out of choppers at 10m altitude instead of lifting a vehicle, etc.

All because my high quality magic mouse wheel rolls to a different position just as I click the button.

Would it be possible to have the scope view without the black borders around it? :j: Something like this i suppose:

sniper-header.jpg

Unfortunately if i recall correctly it was discussed before ArmA came out, and it was impossible to have 2 fovs in the same time, without killing performance.

Unfortunately if i recall correctly it was discussed before ArmA came out, and it was impossible to have 2 fovs in the same time, without killing performance.
They could heavily blur out the outer edges...

I guess they could make it optional. After all i'm under the impression that most new machines can handle ArmA's graphics engine...

render-to-texture only and its not so much killing performance if done using some tricks.

One can use geo-lod of scope to break objects into two groups, those behind a scope to group A (rendered to texture with FOV zoomed), those not behind to group B (standard render pipe), those seen partially to both groups...

I think it would only really be useful to have 3D optics if you have a monitor than can give you adequate peripheral vision as you would have in real life. Otherwise it'll likely be a performance killer and just a graphical gimmick. Remember the scope view takes up most of the screen anyway.

I think it would only really be useful to have 3D optics if you have a monitor than can give you adequate peripheral vision as you would have in real life. Otherwise it'll likely be a performance killer and just a graphical gimmick. Remember the scope view takes up most of the screen anyway.

yes, but think about another thing, when BIS switched from 2d ironsights (OFP) to 3d irons (Arma) we could finally walk with irons on and world wasnt shaking anymore :)

Its the same with optics, try using ACOG and walk couple of meters, the world is shaking, you lost your focus very fast. If you would have 3d optics your point of view wouldnt move, your weapon would.

Another point is that widescreen is getting more and more popular :)

Anyway, render-to-texture is just a method of making things. It can be used for many other like working cam-view in Kamov or Kiowa, like working monitors in Stryker...

Engine side of things is complicated, I know, BIS would need to make another render pipe and it would propably brake many things like shaders or HDR at least. But its not impossible to do and its not performance-killer IMHO

This hud takes 50% of screen * . It looks like aplication with many windows.

-Team memebers icons are too absorbing.

-Chat and hud font are too big. It seems font bigger in every next BIS game.

We aren't blind. We cold read every text in ofp.

I suggest to give some option which can change font size.

-Chat has only 4 lines! It is big limitation for sending information.

When I look at this picture I see console game for teenagers.

I have to agree,that ui looks horrible.It is like arcade shooter or even worse!

I don't want anything else than old OFP f1-f12 controls back.Don't destroy sp game with that kind of horror!:eek:

@Stimpak_Addict:

I have a 'gaming mouse', and even on that I can not use click with middle mouse button to select, I had to map another mousebutton to select. But even then, sometimes the mouse wheel 'automatically' selects something I did not intend:

* Blowing a charge instead of setting the timer.

* Bailing out of choppers at 10m altitude instead of lifting a vehicle, etc.

All because my high quality magic mouse wheel rolls to a different position just as I click the button.

That's a problem with your mouse, not the game.

I agree, but this behaviour has been the case with all input devices I've tried. And others have reported the same problems. When it seems problematic to make input devices that work properly, I see no problem in making the game overcome the obstacle.

The action menu system is old fashioned and can be dangerous to use. Why not improve it? I don't get it...

Edit: With old fashioed I mean that other software are using new methods, compass menus being one of the most popular ones and easy to learn and memorize.

Edited by CarlGustaffa
Added info

Hi, for me what will be a improvement if we could map/re-map the Right CTRL key as we

wish plus add a option in the keybinds of: "Drop Weapon".

What will be very very pimp for this "Drop Weapon" option... will be to make some anim of

the unit dropping the weapon and looking into his/her vest for drop four magazines as intermedy

solution between realism and playability; taking some time but not too much time. This will

"help" when we may want to take a weapon from a fallen unit because we've few ammo

left or just because we've found a fattest or pimpest weapon. Let's C ya

The action menu system is old fashioned and can be dangerous to use. Why not improve it? I don't get it...

You're right, my action menu bit me in the arm just yesterday. Now i'm affraid to start up the game.:couch:

I read somewhere in one of those new previews, that there will be -at last- a 3d editor. Is this true? Will we be able to place objects and save the mission, while in 3d?

*EDIT*

Also, would it be possible to add a show/hide button for every side? For example, i've been planning a mission on ACE Skye island, where there are many civilian cars roaming the roads, and their waypoints, including the cars themselves, clutter the screen, making it harder to see the blufor/opfor waypoints. So i guess an option to hide "civilian" side from the editor (or any other side) would be interesting...

Edited by Michael_Angelo