Sign in to follow this  
nyles

Interface discussion

The AI settings should also change how hard it is to command them using voice. That way it's easier to command the AI when there set to stupid (max), and harder when there set to vegetative retardation(minimum).

Quote[/b] ]Dont think that during Chernarus conflicts all units there should wear an futuristic eye device like a visor.

A visual interface wouldn't be there to simulate a real hi-tech hud, but to compensate for a lack of direct and intelligent feedback with the AI.

Even if it was a sword fight in the middle ages, you should be able to easily and visually select units, group them and issue order without having to type a combination of 10 numbers on tiny keys in the dark...

If I want to issue a moderately complexe order, I have to stop looking at my screen for 5 to 10 seconds to select the guys (mind you if it exceeds the first page and you have to go f12), make find the right menu (say mount), guess which vehicle they should enter, at which position, then execute the order and repeat for all the guys saying "negative" (off course it's on the previous page so f11)...

(Btw, I got used to it, but I KNOW it could be better)

When viewing the gear selection screen for a soldier, include arrow buttons into the GUI so that we can choose "Next" or "Previous" simply by pressing an arrow in the current screen instead of having to go back and then choose another soldier from the list.

I think a mouse-driven command menu would be a lot faster, especially while playing as infantry.

I made a quick stupid video on how it could work, combining the 'unit selection menu' with the command menu. Basically it's just a normal right-click menu.

Video Link

Screenshot: rofl.gif

6fxgcp.jpg

I hope they change the lean system as described in this thread :

Forum Link

... as that would free up the E-key for easy access.  biggrin_o.gif

oh well...

Nice vid Sk3pt,

Is it  a complete mockup or did you actually made it functional ingame ?

I like it...

Using the mouse could work, especially if it's designed like Crysis, where you don't have to click anything and can simply hover over a command to expand it.

As far as taking away the 'E' key, I think it could work too. 'Q' could be the universal movement key, so to say. Either hold it or double tap, and then your characters movements would be locked to the mouse. So, by using this, you could make your character a little taller, a little shorter, or have the ability to control your leaning. When prone, since you can't use 'E'. then simply hold 'Q' and quickly jerk your mouse in the direction you want to roll, (kind of reminds me of the Wii). This whole control method might take some tweaking to get to work well, but overall I think it's a very good idea.

Nice vid Sk3pt,

Is it a complete mockup or did you actually made it functional ingame ?

I just glued together a few videos in Vegas, so yeah, I'm afraid it's nothing more than a simple mockup.  biggrin_o.gif

Sadly, the skill needed to make this work in-game is way above my level...

ty

As far as taking away the 'E' key, I think it could work too. 'Q' could be the universal movement key, so to say. Either hold it or double tap, and then your characters movements would be locked to the mouse. So, by using this, you could make your character a little taller, a little shorter, or have the ability to control your leaning.

That's actually an awesome idea. While holding 'q' and moving the mouse left/right would adjust lean, UP/DOWN would adjust your height +/- 10 cm (only possible when NOT moving, so no need for loads of new animations).

Either hold it or double tap, and then your characters movements would be locked to the mouse.

Don't forget - this means you wouldn't be able to point a gun while leaining.

I don't think that will be much of a problem, at least not if it's done by 'press and hold' (no double tapping), as it will be rather quick, though not as fast as the current ArmA1 system.

Press [Q] ; move mouse to desired lean ; release [Q] ; player locked in lean ; shoot your cat ; press [Q] again ; player unlocks from lean and 'snaps' back to center.

Either hold it or double tap, and then your characters movements would be locked to the mouse.

Don't forget - this means you wouldn't be able to point a gun while leaining.

In that case, what if you use the 'WASD' keys instead.

W- Taller

A- Lean Right

S- Smaller

D- Lean Left.

sk3pt's suggestion might work as well.

In that case, what if you use the 'WASD' keys instead.

W- Taller

A- Lean Right

S- Smaller

D- Lean Left.

That way you will not get an 'analogue lean', which is the whole point (as far as I'm concerned), and you could basically just stick with the Q and E keys for leaning. In addition, you would be unable to move, which is a far greater concern than not being able to aim for a fraction of a second.

Actually, I think it could work even better than the current system, as in A1 you get a little immobilized with the fingers crossed (holding Q WHILE moving, unless you double tap).

With the Q+mouse system, you would just press Q for 0.3 seconds and be free to move and aim as you wish.

Tap it again, when finished.

Q+mouse   inlove.gif  (I've tested it in my head, and it works !wink_o.gif.

ditto for what sk3pt said...

It might not be perfect a solution, but in a "press and hold" configuration, you just have to release the key to fire again...

with double tap = revert to center

It should be tested. sounds interesting.

It's like having 4 extreme poses (+ center) and blending from one to another depending on the mouse movement.

i would definitely be in favour of analogue lean, it's the only way to implement a first person cover system.

i plan to get this for the 360 and i think they should use a similar system to that of OFP:E where you held the left trigger and you could use the left stick to lean (only it should also be analogue low crouch to standing up).

I'm reposting this here, guess it was a bad idea to create a separate topic for it, sorry for that.

In my opinion, there's no need to raise the sights higher than the screen center, but I like to have the ability to lower them at will in order to scan for targets. I'm suggesting thus moving the floating area a bit lower on the screen (instead of centering it) and perhaps allow independent width/height adjustment for it. The ideal behavior as I see it would be similar to the one in the Infiltration mod for UT ( http://dslyecxi.com/botg_infiltration.html )

floating2bc9.th.jpg

Just an Idea about modding. How about modable audio filters for VON radio? Static, crackle, digital compression, others, all modable for creating 'types' of atmosphere, common and uncommon battlefield difficulties in hearing.

I would personally very much like the ability to assign more 'coloured' fireteams in my squad, such as red, blue, yellow etc, just more than in ArmA.

Also I'd like to suggest changing the targeting menu a bit. When I am commanding multiple tanks and I try to give them orders for which enemy tanks to target, it can be quite a mess, as everytime I open the target menu the enemy tanks will be listed differently. An ID tag on the name in the list would be nice, such as T-90(1), then T-90(2) and that the list is cleared after a bit. It's also quite unhandy when leading an infantry squad, you've to scroll through huge amounts of enemy infantry and the selected unit will focus on that enemy, while I'd prefer to let my fireteam attack a generic squad instead of a single soldier.

Thirdly, I'd like to suggest a 'supress' command for (certain) team members. I am aware your squad will attempt this automatically in ArmA 2, but I'd still very much like an option to instruct your squad to put an excessive amount of lead into a certain direction, object or enemy unit.

Maybe this has allready been done, improved or is allready possible. In that case forgive me my ignorance. But it's a suggestion thread so I thought I might toss in a suggestion as well.

Kim

arma2hud.png

This hud takes 50% of screen  crazy_o.gif . It looks like aplication with many windows.

-Team memebers icons are too absorbing.

-Chat and hud font are too big. It seems font bigger in every next BIS game.

We aren't blind. We cold read every text in ofp.

I suggest to give some option which can change font size.

-Chat has only 4 lines! It is big limitation for sending information.

When I look at this picture I see console game for teenagers.

Well, the game looks like it's set to some extremely low resolution.

Chat has only 4 lines! It is big limitation for sending information.

How about when you push the chat button, the chat history becomes visible ; push the chat button again and it's hidden.

Hud size is expressed in percentage of screen size, not in pixels.

Hence hud (10x15 percentage of screen size) always takes 10%x15%

Resolution doesn't matter.

Hud size is expressed in percentage of screen size, not in pixels.

Hence hud (10x15 percentage of screen size) always takes 10%x15%

Resolution doesn't matter.

If an icon is 200 pixels high it will be 200 pixels high no matter your resolution, in that case it would take a higher percentage of your screen on lower resolutions.

I will check it this evening. But I think you can't set size of gui elements in pixel but in percentage.

For sure It's true for mission makers (there is no function for operating gui in pixels). http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Dialog_Control - I think there are common interface for us and for devs.

But I don't know other posibilities, maybe there are some.

IIRC the UI got annouyngly big in lower resolutions (Especially the command menu). Maybe i am just going insane but the easiest way to check is just to play ArmA/OFP in 640x480. tounge2.gif

(I cant right now)