Sign in to follow this  
bn880

Graphics engine improvement

Nah, I think you're wrong, but I respect your opinion. Don't get me wrong, no offense.

But this game should not have been released in Germany. They paid for something that wasn't completed. Of course you have patches but that doesn't justify it, in my opinon.

But anyway, what 'wonderful' effects are you talking about? I just want to see my bots shooting out of cars, I want them to take cover behind a wall and pop out and shoot. I mean, it's a kind of a sim right, so why do games like GTA IV have a cover system? Is that something only Ubisoft or Rockstar or whatever can do?

You can't, if the publisher decides the launch date is set at a certain date the developer can only agree as long as both parties are stuck to their contract.

In these cases, the publisher/provider is always to blame. And it actually happens a lot, even with hardware like the iPhone for instance.

To be honest this 'STYLE' of shooter, with all the 'wonderfull' effects are best left to EA and Ubisoft et al. What you appear to have done is to try and compete on their level, in their playing field, possibly thinking to get some of their market. You might well do, but it's no where near as clean or as well executed as they would do it and it's not what BI are good at. It would have been better to stick to what your are good at, and let the rest try and match the quality of the game strategys, the ai, vehicles and all the other authentic stuff we love.

Sorry to moan and boar... like I said, it's just a bit upsetting.

With no offense, you seem not to know what you are talking about.

BIS have been "the only" developpers around who exclusively focus on large scale combined military simulations.

This is not a "simple shooter" a la Call of duty... or a hollywoodish MOH full of EA sauce.

If you're unhappy about the current status of the game then I seriously suggest you to seriously get a look at the upcoming patches.

Things tend to change to a certain degree after every "patch release".

Regards,

TB

more performance wont hurt , by adding more options to reduce and turn effects off.

explosions take a hudge framerate grab. adding options =off low med high

Yeah. If they can optimize this to be more performance friendly, especially on lower end PC's.

The animations and movements just look so outdated by todays standards. I never get the feeling that i'm actually fully in control of my character, especially in urban enviroments.

That has nothing really do with the graphics engine though. Good animations and crappy animations is rendered the same by the engine, its the actual quality of the animation that's important.

Anyway, something I've noticed quite in videos is serious Z flickering. It can be incredibly distracting from a visual standpoint. I hope it wont be that bad once one is actually playing, still a couple of days till the 19th...

With no offense, you seem not to know what you are talking about.

BIS have been "the only" developpers around who exclusively focus on large scale combined military simulations.

This is not a "simple shooter" a la Call of duty... or a hollywoodish MOH full of EA sauce.

If you're unhappy about the current status of the game then I seriously suggest you to seriously get a look at the upcoming patches.

Things tend to change to a certain degree after every "patch release".

Regards,

TB

You'r right, I don't have a clue. Though I do have quite a few years worth of playing every thing thats out there. PC's consoles the whole lot. No offence is taken, I enjoy the discourse.

On the topic of ARMA2, the issues I have are not with the game/sim as such, the scale is still great. It's the use of what some people call 'eye candy' with the effects thats really shocked me. And NOT in a good way, because it is similar to last years popular shooters, like COD 4/WAW and FarCry 2. Unfortunately, BI being new to these kind of effects appear to have 'overdone it' quite a bit. And it also appears you can't disable some of the effects I really can't get on with. In my case it's the 'focus' effect. I can't stand it, it really makes me feel woozy and sick. There are many other niggles with the quality of the effects, I mean blurring at the edges when you move. In fact the whole screen blurs when you turn arround, so much for the expensive 24" 4ms screen you've bought, cos now the game 'makes' the smears. It's really kiddy stuff that should not have got anywhere near ARMA2. I could go on...

Don't get me wrong, it's BECAUSE I really DO care about ARMA2 as a game/sim, that I joined this forum JUST so I can post my comments. I really will not be able to play it if there is no option to turn these effects off, which at present there is not. (There's a LOW effects, but no OFF). And I don't think I'll be the only one.

I'll say to you what I said to my daughter, ' well applied makeup in small ammounts can really improve how one looks, over do it however and you will look like a bit of trash....'

* NOTE * Of course, I'm still going to buy it, as it's still going to be the best war sim out there... by a mile or two.

Edited by wilkinson_james

Anyway, something I've noticed quite in videos is serious Z flickering. It can be incredibly distracting from a visual standpoint. I hope it wont be that bad once one is actually playing, still a couple of days till the 19th...
It has been that way since Operation Flashpoint. :D

i would like to see basic rain splat on the canopy glass in wet weather .also heli wipers moving and car wipers

also light reflection on concrete , also improved lights on tanks planes cars, a more realistic looking light, they look cheap on great models. also the lighting does not work during the daytime?.

also remove the cone effect this should only happen in heavy fog conditions.

4 BI: I playing ArmA2 1.02 now, but HW performances in cities are still very bad and missions in the campaign are very bad playable with this main problem

I have problem with too large grass. Can you add to options something as low plant? Flat terrain is too ugly, but low plant as Utes or Chernarusian low grass (very nice exactly) is so more beauty

It's the use of what some people call 'eye candy' with the effects thats really shocked me. And NOT in a good way, because it is similar to last years popular shooters, like COD 4/WAW and FarCry 2. Unfortunately, BI being new to these kind of effects appear to have 'overdone it' quite a bit. And it also appears you can't disable some of the effects I really can't get on with.... (There's a LOW effects, but no OFF).

Thank you BIS. Patch 1.2 gives the option to disable the effects such as over the top lighting and motion blur which made the game un-playable for me. So THANK YOU!

The most anoying bug for me now is when the other guys in razor team keep walking though walls/closed doors etc. Second is the optical sights seem to 'catch' the sunlight and 'whiteout'. This would not actually happen, as they have sun-shields and my big ugly head in the way of any sun... please fix.

When you shoot out a window in a building from a distance it appears to take out all the windows at once in the whole building.... need to check for that again in 1.02, but it was a little odd and could be better.

Don't like it when I can't move, during scripted 'moments' of story line. Don't know exacly how it was done if the original OP Flash, but it was better, IMHO compared to being just stuck on the spot... petrified...

Too many, and not verry smooth loading screen between 'sceens', some as short as a couple of seconds between.. ruins the 'in the game' feeling, as your not, your looking at a blank or loading screen. Could this not be overlayed on the last sceene at least?

Thinks change brightness/flicker as you move, some a heck of a lot more than others, this is definately a graphics engine issue. Something to do with Z buffering I think someone has said. I know it's always done it, but it seems a lot more obvious with all the pixel shading going on..

I would really like to see the aircraft have all the dials working, as there is a missed oportunity here with the flight sim fraternity, who since OPFlash had started using it as a Flight Sim, mainly due to the great scale of the maps, and the detail, however the details in the planes, need to upped. It shouldn't be that hard to implement a full detail dash in the plane. All the flaps/gear etc it all there, so just some more 'flight sim fan' details would go a long way.

I would like to shoot from vehicles as a passenger, this really should be addresed, unless it really doesn't happen in real life. But I would think it would in the heat of battle, why wouldn't you try and shoot a few people on the gound, after all your being shot at. Not so worried about inside the vehicles, as there isn't really many places to go, but I guess it would enhance realism, possibly. Getting in and out is till verry 'magic', vehicles have doors for a reason. Try opening them. It would look much better if they did open as you got in. Watch form outside as your team gets into your vehicle to see how awful it looks at present. I'd love to see doors that open, can be shot open and or fall off and loose the shielding the door represented. In fact I think the whole damage model needs reviewing, planes that loose half a wing or bits of flap effecting control, performance, stuck landing gear, warning lights of engine/control damage, you know an alarm with a nice sounding woman saying 'altitude... altitude' and so on as your about to pile into the ground. Thats what I would like from the 'next generation' anyway.

This is all sounding like another moan, so here's some good points.. :)

It is definately from the same line as the other games, great scale, nice drives, verry realistic 'moments'. The movement is much better I think, much smoother and you don't have to stop to reload etc. The AI actuall does look better, they 'seem' more lifelike especially when shot at. The wildlife adds that final level of realism which is best when you didn't expect it. ie Youre about to snipe somone and a cow wanders though the field in-between, priceless. Speed wise I'm happy, it plays on my 'fairly old now' rig quite nicely. (Intel 6600 Quad with 9800GTX and 6GB ram) However, I do have all the post processing turned off, as I didn't like that look and it's great that you now can turn it all the way up/down as desired. Ground vehicles don't appear to drive the same as they used to, something with the steering, however I would say it's better once you get used to it.

Overall it is a great move forward, and I look forward to BI's great support in improving it even more with patches... thank you BI.

this game is awesome. my only gripe is *performance*. do BIS have plans to improve the performance or is it not even possible ?

BI. lynda is maybe cool for you , but for us , players, it's a pain in ass. object detail need to be as high as possible beccause we want to see cars with wheel... (<- this is an example)

but tree and plant plumb performance in this case. please, add a "vegetation quality" sliders . okthxbye

Just use Kegetys' mod that disables the blur.

Can anyone confirm that this infact works with 1.02?

no one is shocked by lack of polygonal complexity (@playable framerate ... ) ?

civilian car don't have wheel ... tank are flated , etc...

damn it these X86 cpu T-T

Hi, maybe release a commented ArmA2 config will allow scripters and others to offer new

or better solutions for things that BIS haven't think about, small improvements, tweaks and

things like that; i think that would help everyone, BIS and the players. Let's C ya

The native game engine have never supported mirrors in lakes and on cars this is almost few things in hardcode missing preventing any mods introducting them, is there any spoken words why they have not yet implemented? There where dirx mod to OFP which allowed sea mirror the environment around, but then no mirrors have been seen in A1-2.

The native game engine have never supported mirrors in lakes and on cars this is almost few things in hardcode missing preventing any mods introducting them, is there any spoken words why they have not yet implemented? There where dirx mod to OFP which allowed sea mirror the environment around, but then no mirrors have been seen in A1-2.

I had FFUR 85 and i enabled the water reflections and at the seaside my framerate would go from something like 40-70 to 3-4...

It aint optimized for it...

I had FFUR 85 and i enabled the water reflections and at the seaside my framerate would go from something like 40-70 to 3-4...

It aint optimized for it...

I remember that, one of Kegetys mods wasn't it? I even remeber the video for, and the music. If someone has that buried on their hard drive it'd be very nostalgic to see it again. I don't remember it being that bad performance wise though, although it might explain why I never saw it in Arma.

I dont know if that was mentioned here before,

But I think a shockwave from blasts, especially big explosions from tanks or airplanes is needed here to simulate reality.

Does not matter if it's FPS hit, just let us enable or dissable them!

Thanks.

I remember that, one of Kegetys mods wasn't it? I even remeber the video for, and the music. [...] I don't remember it being that bad performance wise though, although it might explain why I never saw it in Arma.

I remember a video with a boat that was beautiful !! But on my old computer 2400+ and 9700pro it was also a performance killer.. :rolleyes:

Edit: After a rapid research on Ofp.info.

Edited by dunedain

I remember a video with a boat that was beautiful !! But on my old computer 2400+ and 9700pro it was also a performance killer.. :rolleyes:

Edit: After a rapid research on Ofp.info.

Thanks for that, good work. Great video, just as I remember it, what music too! :D

As for this being in Arma/Arma 2, the water in Arma was improved considerably over OFP, so I guess the same principal didn't work. The water looks so much better anyway maybe he didn't feel the need to create it again anyway.

To be honest this 'STYLE' of shooter, with all the 'wonderfull' effects are best left to EA and Ubisoft et al. What you appear to have done is to try and compete on their level, in their playing field, possibly thinking to get some of their market. You might well do, but it's no where near as clean or as well executed as they would do it and it's not what BI are good at. It would have been better to stick to what your are good at, and let the rest try and match the quality of the game strategys, the ai, vehicles and all the other authentic stuff we love.

Sorry to moan and boar... like I said, it's just a bit upsetting.

Hahahahahaha. Ubisoft and EA have never put out a game nearly as close to the scope of what ArmAII is. You must have forgotten that Bohemia created OFP, you make it sound like they are new to the FPS world. If you want nade smamming, immature kids, and unrealistic rambo combat, go for Ubisoft or EA. If you want realism and true to life tactics, go with Bohemia.