Sign in to follow this  
bn880

Graphics engine improvement

sure, you can laugh. until you find yourself, playing Arma2, constantly failing due "out of memory" error, while you sitting on 16Gb equipped-PC, just because lack of 64-bit binaries for game. wonderful !! in 2011 year.

16GB? Nice. :)

You tried putting 12GB into a ramdisk to load the addons from there? There are several threads with how-to's.

The "out of memory" errors are bugs. They don't happen because the game needs more than 2GB RAM, or a 64bit exe for that matter. Just look at Arma2s RAM usage and you will see it generally stays under 1.2GB.

did you hear "virtual texture" term ?

did you even[once]read BIS developers blog ?

did you noticed difference between [binary]"working set" and amount of memory, it consume[to work efficently], one way or another ?

p.s.

binary never fetch LESS than 2Gb even in "working set".

and surely, "bug" eleminated only by boosting virtual memory is memory-unrelated. you're truly genius !! brilliant, mr Einsten !

)rStrangelove;1897096']16GB? Nice. :)

You tried putting 12GB into a ramdisk to load the addons from there? There are several threads with how-to's.

do you tried to use you bicycle as hammer ? its almost as reasonable as using extra-RAM for storing swap file, instead of utilise it directly. clean, efficient, QUICK.

Edited by BasileyOne

And the trolling continues...

I won't waste any more of my time arguing with you, so as a final word, here's a nice quote for you from the games lead developer:

There is very little (if any) benefit in going 64b for ArmA 2.

If the games does not use more than 2 GB with LAA, it means it would not use more even with 64b and the whole effort would be basically wasted. Switching to 64b is not some magic which would in itself change application behaviour in any way, it is just removing the 4 GB barrier. As the game is not hitting the barrier even remotely yet, removing the barrier has currently no sense, especially when you consider it would requite quite a lot of efforts.

If the game is not using more than 1.5 GB for you, it probably means it does not need to use any more (there are no more useful data to store in the memory).

Now get the f*ck off my lawn.

no sense, no [noticably serious]info, no point.

now get out and start reading library.

about 64-binaries and benefits[aside access to "more than 4Gb", btw].

And the trolling continues...

I won't waste any more of my time arguing with you, so as a final word, here's a nice quote for you from the games lead developer:

Now get the f*ck off my lawn.

facts say opposite things from my Arma2 experience[aswell other SW usage].

Edited by BasileyOne

I really want to see heat distortion, like you see behind the engine in this video...

IDxrYCtPldQ

I think I heard before that this would require another render pass? Would it be possible to just spawn blobs with alpha channels?

Multi-GPU support without proprietary API's, ie not via SLi/CF, but directly thru OpenCL/DirectCompute.

both for GFX and other workload[can be pretty paralleled. esp Terrain and Lighting/sound]

I really want to see heat distortion, like you see behind the engine in this video...

IDxrYCtPldQ

I think I heard before that this would require another render pass? Would it be possible to just spawn blobs with alpha channels?

like DoF/Bloom/Blur post-processing[via DirectCompute]used on Crysis 2 ?

Edited by BasileyOne

This basic feature would also be very handy for things like heat mirages and especially vapor trails which, next to looking extremely cool, are a key element of bullet observing and being an succesful sniper

It would also be nice to see temperature effects in game like seeing your breath when its cold.

Someone war working on a mod like that. I think it was DMWarwick. You could try sending him a PM about that.

It would also be nice to see temperature effects in game like seeing your breath when its cold.

Interesting idea!

Interesting idea!

I saw it ingame recently, during rain. Dunno if that was scripted.

First of all my discontent might be caused by my monitor or graphics card so if the problems here sound unfamiliar the disregard the entire post.

I downloaded the Invasion 1944 mod recently and noticed that night-time missions without night vision goggles look very bad for a military sim.

First, contrast at night is terribly high - I can easily spot targets hundreds of meters away because ground texture is way lighter than soldiers/cars/whatever. I tried decreasing my monitor's contrast and played around with the brightness and gamma settings but wasn't still fully satisfied.

My second problem is the overall darkness during night. In real life, even in winter you can still see pretty well to some distance once your eyes get used to the lack of light. When I messed around in the editor last night I couldn't see my gun or the grass in front of me even in the middle of summer.

Enough of ranting; my point is that missions in bad lighting conditions would be amazing if the engine could make them immersive enough. I've been thinking of making brightness/contrast dependent of time and date but I don't know if that would do the trick.

Just please remake the game with your new engine ...

Rocket launcher kills a tank but not a helicopter on the ground .... what a big joke.

acutally in winter at night, you can see alot better cause of snow (and maybe becuase of something else)

basically i more missing decent lighting from OFP:R in Arma2 :[

cute skies, sun, sun effects[those who never played OFP, maybe played Stalker games 2 get what i mean], even stars, comets.

ie, FAIR light, where you believe in what you see.

thats why i ALWAYS turn on volumetric clouds on servers i install/manage :P

also kinda await use of Directx11 by BIS, unlimited anymore to two-streams/back-ends, like previous API revisions and thus - extremely scalable per/CPU-cores.

BIS also can adopt OpenGL/OpenCL optional renderer too["unsuported(yet;) option", huh ?], sooner, cause Intel moves to OpenCL too.

its done on some UE-based games.

pp shader, i guess.

heated air[from used gun or environment objects], and trembling visual chiling effect in different one.

basically its better use for GPU shaders than extra-AA/Bloom/USM, like done in [somewhat interesting in other aspects]Crysis2.

combined with amBX (https://www.ambx.com/wiki/Main_Page http://www.microlp.co.uk/amBX/ https://www.facebook.com/amBX.1 ) support to control lightning/airflow/vibration/etc environmental stuff put WAY more immersion into Arma2 or VBS2.

Edited by BasileyOne

Hi everyone! Yes, I don't read the whole 72 pages of text and maybe it is already written by someone here. But as it has no progress, I decide to write it:

Graphics in ArmA 2 is great and even if it runs on DX9 it can compete with many curr-gen games except 1 very "visible" disadvantage:

Only Sun casts the shadows!

No other lights do that even with buildings and other big objects, and this is looking very queerly.

I think engine can do that (the Sun can, why other lights can't?) correct me, if I wrong. And this "feature" will make the game much more authentic and beautiful.

-------------------

Edited:

Ha-ha! ) While I writing the reply, BasileyOne already wrote about fair lighting )

Only Sun casts the shadows!

No other lights do that even with buildings and other big objects, and this is looking very queerly.

I think engine can do that (the Sun can, why other lights can't?) correct me, if I wrong. And this "feature" will make the game much more authentic and beautiful.

-------------------

Edited:

Ha-ha! ) While I writing the reply, BasileyOne already wrote about fair lighting )

Just to let you know, not even A3 will have shadows for multiple light sources (although this time around the engine will support more than A2's light sources - sun and moon). There's hope for deferred lighting, but not in the initial release (might have changed due to postponing of the game further into 2013).

There won't be any improvements on this part of the engine for A2/OA though

the Sun can, why other lights can't?

As far as I see it it's because BIS will either have to do everything or do only sun/moon. Imagine a scene where a car is a lightsource and 3 guys exit it and turn on flashlights. You can't just draw shadows from one flashlight and ignore the other lightsources because it will look even worse (your flashlight will make some wall/barrel/car cast shadows, but other flashlights will just penetrate through it). How many PCs will handle so many real-time shadow calculations at once?

Of course other games like L4D2 and BF3 have a compromise of rendering only player's flashlight and everybody else just have a graphic of it shining (but not casting any light) or limiting number of light sources (like Killing Floor which turns your flashlight off if somebody else is trying to turn a 5th one on) - but it won't work in a game like ArmA where you must see what everybody else sees.

Edited by metalcraze

This game badly needs PhysX. It would help a lot in firefight situations. Offload the CPU and SLI systems are a win.

Is this supposed to be a suggestion for Arma2? "Add PhysX"? Not gonna happen, brah. ;)