Sign in to follow this  
bn880

Graphics engine improvement

No need to run this on the CPU. It can be offloaded in the near future using OpenCL or Direct Compute.
Well technically, OpenCL/DC can be used to run traditionally-GPU work on a CPU, as well as running traditionally-CPU work on the GPU ;)

Well technically, OpenCL/DC can be used to run traditionally-GPU work on a CPU, as well as running traditionally-CPU work on the GPU ;)
Yes or any OpenCL compatible DSP. But that doesn't matter because those have poor floating point performance aswell as the CPU.

Graphics improvement? Less FPS? Its okay for you guys with top spec PCs but what about people like me (the majority) who cannot run ARMA at full?

Graphics improvement? Less FPS? Its okay for you guys with top spec PCs but what about people like me (the majority) who cannot run ARMA at full?

Yes.....Please BIS, get it to run on mid-spec pc's first :mad: . After that there is place for some image improvements :/.

the only way I can get arma2 to run right is to put visual range on something really low, like 500-1000m or something. Is't there a way to "paste" a fluent 500m world on a choppy 15fps long range world or something? or at least get the crosshair/weapon sight to move at 60fps even when the rest of the game isn't?

Was just reading Arma1 patch changelogs and I hope we'll see same kind of stuff in future arma2 patches too, like

"Improved performance (up to 100% increase in frame rate depending on scene, video settings and graphics card)"

:-)

I think the first priority of BIS should be to increase FPS rates by optimization. I would love to see such a change listed in patch 1.05 TomBambo, you have me drooling.

I hope BIS will make option to change water resolution. I get about 20-25 FPS in open terrain, city, woods etc. but when I look on the water, FPS drops to 5.

Water is no longer a frame killer in latest beta, so I would expect this change to make it to 1.05.

It is, at least for me.

Water is no longer a frame killer in latest beta, so I would expect this change to make it to 1.05.

Very good to hear its funny I submitted it to DevHeaven and Sumak already had tested the problem out 2 times by the time I had reach any votes. :D

Im very glad this issue will be resolved, the water does look really good so I can see why it would destroy frame rates, he mentioned too about Shore rendering what was that problem?

Very good to hear its funny I submitted it to DevHeaven and Sumak already had tested the problem out 2 times by the time I had reach any votes. :D

Im very glad this issue will be resolved, the water does look really good so I can see why it would destroy frame rates, he mentioned too about Shore rendering what was that problem?

I get the shore problem, my FPS takes a dive and things get real stuttery when flying near or above the shore.

At sea, no problem. Inland, no problem. Never really had it until recent patches, using the current Nov 3rd patch it is still there.

Errr... Many other games have at least as good looking water but it doesn't kill fps, quite the opposite.

Errr... Many other games have at least as good looking water but it doesn't kill fps, quite the opposite.

Open world DX9, not really state of the Art but if your running at 100% the water is nice looking not Crysis Quality but this game is not about Graphics and I dont base my opinions about games because of their graphical fidelity.

possible to add engine exhaust effect like dcs black shark?

and on burning tanks.

also the option to enable disable in graphics.

more eye candy

I'd actually like to see it more ... sigh .. the dirty word coming out here ... "optimized". I'd love to see it run better and look better, improve the overall graphical quality ... and add shadows to secondary light sources ... :D:D

I'd actually like to see it more optimized

very same wish I got :rolleyes:

PEROFORMANCE OPTIMIZATIONS:

Add tesselation for trees and objcets! (tesselation can be add in render 9, not only in render 1x). For more infos: http://developer.amd.com/gpu/radeon/Tessellation/Pages/default.aspx
Hardware tessellation can only be done on ATI GPU's using specific proprietary APIs or through Direct3D 11.

I'm hoping for a Direct3D 11 render path, as proprietary standards suck. Luckily the BIS developers agree with me on this. Otherwise we'd have nVidia PhysX in the game, the horror!

Add a true HDR-L, bloom is too heavy! You can use SM 2.x, not only 3.0!
It doesn't depend on the shader instructions.

The problem is that you need dual precision FPU's, otherwise you must wait until the single precision FPU's have done multiple cycles to get the same needed precision.

Since the nVidia 8000 series and the ATI HD series, 128-bit HDR should be possible.

Allow ArmA 2 process to access more than 2GiB in 64-bit OS to a total of 4GiB of mermory using IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE (for more infos: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa384219(VS.85).aspx and http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms680349(VS.85).aspx
Isn't that header tag already implemented in the engine?

The Windows thread scheduler and memory allocator sucks, hell the whole kernel sucks!

Edited by SgtH3nry3

I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, but since operation Arrowhead is going to be taken in a quite more challenging climate I would be delighted, to see heat disturb image on the horizon.

Like in first seconds of this trailer:

I hope that small blur, and wavy distortion is reachable by fancy posteffects. The effect would be present only when weather is sunny and temperature hot.

Also I wonder if it is possible to consider adding some kind of formula that will have effect on the unit body posture. Now all the soldiers look quite same (despite face, and equipment). In example a player could choose in profile if he is taller, or overweight. It would help a lot to distinguish friends in coop missions. Of course, missionmaker would need to allow this option to work, since all PvP players would prefer shrinking body. Side effects would be rather cool - tall players would have higher viewpoint, and short ones would have lowered stance, thus better cover. No point in punishing fatties, or giving physical advantage to the ones with wide shoulders, but that is another option.

Edited by sidhellfire

I'm not sure if it was mentioned before, but since operation Arrowhead is going to be taken in a quite more challenging climate I would be delighted, to see heat disturb image on the horizon.

I hope that small blur, and wavy distortion is reachable by fancy posteffects. The effect would be present only when weather is sunny and temperature hot.

Also I wonder if it is possible to consider adding some kind of formula that will have effect on the unit body posture. Now all the soldiers look quite same (despite face, and equipment). In example a player could choose in profile if he is taller, or overweight. It would help a lot to distinguish friends in coop missions. Of course, missionmaker would need to allow this option to work, since all PvP players would prefer shrinking body. Side effects would be rather cool - tall players would have higher viewpoint, and short ones would have lowered stance, thus better cover. No point in punishing fatties, or giving physical advantage to the ones with wide shoulders, but that is another option.

agree that would be awesome heat haze as well. also options enable disable

Actually they already have this effect. Go to 3rd person and then sprint like hell and then your whole world will go wavy. Hardly noticable in 1st person. They just didn't apply it to heat like you mentioned. :) so the technology is already there.

Actually, it's not.

1) You need to up the PP effects to see it. In OA, it would have to be forced.

2) It's a PP effect applied to the screen. Good for what it does now, bad for heat waves.

3) For realistic heat waves (as PP), it would need to consider depth into scene for each pixel, extremely costly. When you look 5m in front of you, no effect. Looking 500m in front of you, massive effect (also in scope).

Take a look at the sniping scene in The Hurt Locker. See how close up varies greatly from distance. Current wave PP as a heat effect? No thanks, it would just look cheezy.

Oh, youtube to the rescue :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEgYrjH_xNw

Textures in First person while using freelook can be very pixelated and blurred i have my settings on 1680(inter)x1680(3d) so 100%

When in water, turn the uniform that looks wet and heavy, or when its raining.

Breathing when its cold out you can see the vapors, you could incorporate this also on Jets planes (contrails)

The lighting that is emitted by lamp posts and other light sources could use a different type of light source, I know this is probably the biggest draw back with RV3 not using Differed lighting techniques that easily allow 100's of lights in a rendered scene but im pretty sure that RV3 would also need to fully support DX10, 64bit OS aswell (no expert here so please prove me wrong if so)

Please keep improving the destruction mechanics to buildings and such its beautiful in ARMA 2 BIS I f'ing love it :D But if you could optimize it more and maybe add more stages and seeing some individual peices of debris fall down or fly out of an explosion simulating very realistic physics without the resources needed to have HAVOK for example.

again all that texture tech, and streaming tech improvements will make Arma 2 look photoreal since you already have an engine that supports 10km viewdistance and Super High ammounts of Polygons.

and final suggestion would be adding real cloth simulation to clothes, uniforms for example the sleeves of the uniform would actually be 3D instead of being a texture applied, also could be applied to Flags.

Please keep continuing on blowing my mind Bohemia, I truely love you guys and I know for sure your RV Engine is a true masterpiece, and it would work well with any genre game, theres only a few hitches that need refinement but those all subjective.

Edited by Flash Thunder