Sign in to follow this  
SFG

Operation flashpoint 2

yup. unlike 21 or 23, 50 and 68 stands out for sure. maybe OFP2 is about all conflicts? wow.gif

I think someone mentioned it earlier, but the symbol that flashes on channel 50 looks like the Marine Corps globe and anchor. Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Marines fighting in the famous battle of the Frozen Chosin Reservoir in 1950?

well, i'm not sure about the particular battle, but i know that USMC did participate in Korean war.

Indeed it was.  I just googled it and it was in Nov-Dec 1950.  Looks like a tour of famous Marine Corps moments to me.

Chosin Reservoir Link

That would mean 1945, and the battles for the Pacific islands, particularly Okinawa. 1950 and the Chosin Reservoir, and 1968 and Hue city during the Tet Offensive. This is getting really interesting if you ask me.

Considering the special connection between BIS and USMC via VBS1, ... wow.gifsmile.gif

Yup, I think OFP2 is going to be a Marine corps combat game for all eras of the Corps actions. Possibly from Belleau Wood to Nasiriyah.

wow.gif4--></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Schoeler @ April 17 2003,09wow.gif4)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yup, I think OFP2 is going to be a Marine corps combat game for all eras of the Corps actions.  Possibly from Belleau Wood to Nasiriyah.<span id='postcolor'>

boy you sure are proud of your jarhead tradition tounge.gif

just realized that you were in Navy, not USMC. d'oh! wink.gif

That's Okay. Oh boy, watch this, now I'm really gonna piss off the Gyrenes:

They belong to the Navy anyway! That's right, look at what it says on the top of their paychecks. It says, Department of the Navy. Man, they hate it when we point that out to them!

The way I see it, the U.S. doesn't need the Army and the Airforce. All it needs is the Naval services. We have the better pilots and planes, we can project our air power more efficiently with the carriers, and we have the best combined arms team in history in the Corps, some of the finest light infantry in the world if not the finest. Then we have the best specops in the SEALs.

HA HA HA HA HAAAA!, Schoeler wips off his mask and reveals his Navy bias to the world! tounge.gif

As both 50 and 68 stand out, my guess is now that it will be set on a island group in the Pacific Ocean, close to Vietnam, Korea, etc. Like OFPCWC. I think that would be a lot better than just Vietnam, and I can imagine BIS doing something like that. Coming up with something real good and different from other Nam games.

I highly doubt that BIS would make a game just like the other Nam games.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (OxPecker @ April 17 2003,04:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyone else seen this?

Just saw it at an OFP news site, is it for real or what?<span id='postcolor'>

again already been posted by me and some others, looks like the news guys looked at the forum and found us posting it.

I was hoping either the current force or WW2 confused.gif

I hope BIS doesn't limit us to Vietnam.

Guess some people don't like the Nam era because of the lack of scoped assault rifles like the G36 or Augs.

Better get used to iron sights before OFP2 comes out!

-=Die Alive=-

I got it! I think I might have an idea. Think, a real location, the bottle on the soldier's head and the fact that the last game was based when the cold war was at high tensions. The Cuban Missile Crisis. Maybe JFK decides to do airstrikes on Cuba and a Russian worker is killed which causes the Soviets to Build up Cuba to invade the surrounding areas.

Ive noticed alot of people are saying i dont want this or that but as always we will also have the mod to rely on also. So flashpoint 2 can and will have several different era's to mess around with. So lets all just sit back and get ready for ofp2's new game engine and great new gfx that my radeon 9700 pro is crying out for wink.gif

I guess you could still do tank battles in Vietnam, a few did happen. But I imagine that the American tanks were a lot stronger than the ones the North Vietnamese had.

Honestly I don't really know, but Vietnam seems like a rather bland setting for OFP2, and I definitely don't really want to go back in time with the series because I prefer more modern combat. Hopefully they just chose that picture and blurred a ton of it out because it has a look to it they want. I wonder if they blurred it to hide the fact that OFP2 is in Vietnam or to disassociate the look on the man's face from the setting?

I'll still pick it up most likely because I enjoy the multiplayer side of the game. Hopefully old mods will still work so I don't have to play Vietnam if I choose not too.

Judging by the reaction by alot of the posts here, I would say we are pretty much divided on the issue of OFP2 being set in Vietnam or not.

I am disapointed, because like most people I was expecting something completly new, not something we have had in a mod already. Maybe this idea was in the pipeline, well before the SEB NAM team produced their excellent mod. Right now all im looking forward to, is the new features, gameplay and effects, a good single player campaign will be a bonus....

I also wonder if BIS carried out any 'market research' , did they know what the loyal following they have here on this forum wanted or expected? Maybe they should of presented some ideas and carried out a poll? Its not like they dont get any feed back here is it? tounge.gif

I guess we dont know enough about this new project yet to criticise it fairly, but in any case its expected release date is in 2004, and alot can happen between now and then...

I'd say if you were betting the odds in Vegas on what OFP2 would be, then NAM would be where I'd put my money.

Remember the Operation Vietnam site? Seen the screenshots from IL? The vegatation from what I saw in IL screenshots looked really good, and would be perfect for a Nam era setting. Then think about all the work that was put into Operation Vietnam long before the site went offline. There were some really nice screenshots, both renders and Bulldozer shots.

I for one am pretty happy that this is where it may be headed. Guess I'm one of the few. I would rather like it if it focused on areas that aren't covered much in games already like say the Aussie's role, or the Koreans. Something unexpected.

The SEB pack was made while Operation Vietnam was still public news, and was just something to hold folks over until that "mod" was done.... not take the place of it. There is soooo much that can be done with a Vietnam era setting.

I give my vote to Vietnam too and after that a Desert Storm after that a WWII I think if BIS work on that line it would be great wink.gif

And hope they make it so you can use multiple guns on vehicles and that you can launch rockets from wheeled vehicles + that you can move on big ships and that you have moving machineguns on planes + 2 pilots in choppers wink.gif

Oh and swimming must be possible and some animals in Vietnam like Tiger's, Lizzards, Crocodilles and snakes that would be awesome wink.gif

I wonder if they plan to make tunnels for VC like in vietnam in mountens confused.gif

i heard you'll be a marine fighting in all wars the marines were involved from WWII on!! wow.gifwow.gif

just a rumour though... confused.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote ([TU]$33ker @ April 17 2003,19:48)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i heard you'll be a marine fighting in all wars the marines were involved from WWII on!! wow.gif  wow.gif

just a rumour though... confused.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Thats my theory as well. I would however like to point out that the Marines played an extensive role in WWI at Belleau Wood as well, so maybe a Marine corps game from WWI right up to Gulf War 2.

What excites me is the extensive vegetation that will have to be made for a 'Nam game. That means reall grass, paddies, palms etc.. Which means the maps are going to be ultra realistic fighting environments. The picture of the Marine firing the M60 in Hue City during Tet of '68 suggests they are going to have great urban combat scenarios as well. No more clipping, and walking through walls hopefully.

Ebud, maybe that Mekong Delta map will become more of a practical reality. I could never get the canals to look right, they were just narrow perfectly square sided channels on my map.

What´s all this about modding the game if you don´t like the standard era? Ofp has been out for almost 2 years and we still only have a hodgepodge of "UFO addon x", "civilian sports car y" and "cool scifi prototype weapon 9999". The only mod that is of acceptable quality is the SEB nam pack, which still doesn´t include armor, and SP campaign or anything resembling a real jungle(just an example, the mod is still good and you can´t do everything with the engine)

I´m still waiting for a WW2 mod. Oh wait, we have 4 teams working on the exact same Garands and Shermans right now, don´t we? confused.gif

So...it isn´t as simple as modding your own timeframe.

Gollum I suggest checking out the Desert Everon Map pack and throw in some Desert Delta guys from the BAS pack. These missions are a blast and due to the speed at which Desert Everon runs you can easily put together a decent sized city and run Desert combat missions.

Anyways, back on topic. I will be looking forward to OpFlash 2 regardless of whether it's Vietnam or not. If there's one thing I learned from Opflash:CWC, it's that nearly anything is possible in Operation Flashpoint, as long as someone is willing to make it.

I sure don't hope that OFP 2 is a Nam kind-of-thing! I don't know what kind of war I want in OFP 2 but it sure isn't Nam! And then again.... confused.gif

Guest jacobaby

The pictures being used by CM are straight off a Vietnam site.

However, true to BIS form I would kind of expect it to be a ficticious scenario with a plausible story-line.

Late 2004 the CM site says anyways.......so we got plenty of time to enjoy the current batch of addons.......

And who knows what we will be able to do in the meantime......

TJ