DnA

Contact Expansion Feedback

I absolutely love this DLC. IMHO it's the best you ever made, and the campaign is at least second best after the original OFP campaign! If there's anything to gripe, whinge and nag about, it's the German version of that yellow "Teren wojskowy - Military Area" exlusion zone signpost. Every experienced German translator would have put "Betreten verboten" on it instead of "Eintritt verboten", and possibly altered "Militärzone" to "Militärisches Sperrgebiet", although that might be too long. 😛

Just finished the Campaign and i have to say,i'm really suprised by how good it was.Decent writing and voice acting and proper use of all the new assets.BI is getting better at making great campaigns again and i'm really looking forward for what they will achive next.I didn't have any major issues,it was playing smoothly.Just a few small glitches here and there.

I hope BI will implement more to Contact, maybe another faction and more aliens. Perhaps making the mothership come back for revenge with new creatures after the LDF attacked it. Maybe a campaign that takes place at the Polish-German border so we can fight with/against German border units that reacts violently to the alien approach.

• Like 1

SPOILERS INCLUDED

Finished the campaign and I have to say the atmosphere caused by the aliens absolutely blew me away. I never had this kind of feelings in a game, perhaps because I never played something like this - this situation felt just so real and authentic. I sneaked around in the darkness, totally tensed, hoping the aliens wouldn't find me, I think I took 4-5 hours to complete that mission starting from the radio tower.

And the way you slowly built up the tension before the aliens arrived, wow, I was seating on my chair with my ass cheeks on edge the whole time, looking up in the dark ingame sky, knowing that at some point of course it would happen, then these roots appearing, the LDF trying to shield them, Rudwell and Stype infiltrating, later arguing about that stupid flare and BOOOMMM, WWWWTTTFFFF!!!??? Just mind-blowing, I sat there with my mouth open. I had to go outside of my house to do something later that night, I looked up in the clear sky, seeing these distant stars and... was afraid or awed, I don't know, thinking "Where will they come from?..." Sounds silly, I know, but you get the point how this situation affected me.

I loved the setting with the failed military maneuver and the Livonians not being enemys but distancing themselves from the NATO forces, only tolerating their presence and wanting them to leave. And the courage of that crazy bastard Stype to sneak behind their lines to find out what's going on - that was awesome.

Yeah, of course it also had some flaws, the poor performance being the main issue IMO. I really hope you can improve this. Didn't note down the other problems though as I was too hooked on the campaign. 🙂 Ah, I remember that thermal map being pretty useless (or I didn't understand how to read it - searched for the roots at the red spots but found nothing. Googled where they are but at their real position there was no markings on the map, it was empty).

So you did a great job! This and Laws of War really became something special. LOW blew me away with its storytelling (the end of the campaign), but First Contact has an incomparable and very special atmosphere - like if this could just happen in the next forest from here... 

• Like 5

I'm wondering why these machines are not added for LDF:
basic:

AFV-4 Gorgon
    MBT-52 Kuma
    CH-49 Mohawk

A-143 Buzzard

other dlc:

AWC Nyx

A-149 Gryphon

It’s all the more strange that Zamak-MLRS from DLC Tanks has been added

I have to use content from the workshop

Hey, I have a question to the new "ebo" files:

I can't open them and I can't find the music and weapons (and other things) on the jukebox/configs, so I have no real access to them for my scripts.

Can I access them somehow? Or is this intentional?

PS.: love the new stuff, so let me use it please. 😅

2 hours ago, syrasia said:

Hey, I have a question to the new "ebo" files:

I can't open them and I can't find the music and weapons (and other things) on the jukebox/configs, so I have no real access to them for my scripts.

Can I access them somehow? Or is this intentional?

What do you mean? Did you launched with contact file and make sure there're things in configs such as CfgMusic or CfgWeapons?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, POLPOX said:

What do you mean? Did you launched with contact file and make sure there're things in configs such as CfgMusic or CfgWeapons?

Ah, thats how to access that stuff! Welp, problem solved. Thanks.

Edit: do I need to start it as contact platform, to use the contact things? Or can I use those in scenarios/scripts just like any other stuff out of arma?

1 hour ago, syrasia said:

Edit: do I need to start it as contact platform, to use the contact things? Or can I use those in scenarios/scripts just like any other stuff out of arma?

Sort the words out: Contact (Platform) is enoch, which contains basic Contact Expansion things like Livonia itself, LDF, Spetz and such others, and is vanilla. Contact is contact, which contains Campaign “First Contact” things like the campaign missions itself, ayy lmaos, and, the things you want, assets like Spectrum Devices and musics, and is optional.

They said that they're planning to switch some things to enoch though it's not happening, so you need to launch with contact to get access, for now, so, YES.

1 hour ago, syrasia said:

Or can I use those in scenarios/scripts just like any other stuff out of arma?

Umm... what? Out of Arma? Highly recommend not to do.

36 minutes ago, POLPOX said:

Sort the words out: Contact (Platform) is enoch, which contains basic Contact Expansion things like Livonia itself, LDF, Spetz and such others, and is vanilla. Contact is contact, which contains Campaign “First Contact” things like the campaign missions itself, ayy lmaos, and, the things you want, assets like Spectrum Devices and musics, and is optional.

They said that they're planning to switch some things to enoch though it's not happening, so you need to launch with contact to get access, for now, so, YES.

Umm... what? Out of Arma? Highly recommend not to do.

Okay, so they are plainging to make it aviable like all the other DLC things? Yes please!

And no, I only use it in an arma scenario! Just that the new stuff is bonkers. Would like to use it. As it is already in the game. Thats my point. (Bad choice of words, again. Sorry!)

So I have to look what is already usable (what is vanilla, i.e. the uniforms and weapons) and for the candy (in this case the music) I wait. And hope. And wait. You get the point.

And just so I know: are the weapon gui paa files usable/count as vanilla? They should, as we can use the weapon in vanilla itself. Just dont know how to find them now? (starting with contact platform does not help me atm)

Is it possible - or will it be possible - to purchase the assets (Livonia map, vehicles etc) separately from this expansion..

I'm not interested in the mod itself..

Many thanks

2 hours ago, General Kong said:

@Hostilian No, its all part of a complete package

I know it's part of a package, currently, but that's not to say it won't be released separately in the future..

Hence my question..

Do you work for BIS or the Developer? If not, perhaps you might not be totally clued in..  😉

Not saying you're wrong.. Just that I want to hear it from the Devs..

21 hours ago, Hostilian said:

I know it's part of a package, currently, but that's not to say it won't be released separately in the future..

Yes that does say that. Bi never split paid content in this scope out to be purchased seperately. So its unlikely that they'll change that now.

19 hours ago, Dedmen said:

Yes that does say that. Bi never split paid content in this scope out to be purchased seperately. So its unlikely that they'll change that now.

OK but there is a possibility..

Still looking for something more concrete - though I guess they'll only know whether it's a yes when they actually do it..
Never mind.. I just don't want the 'alien stuff' but would like the assets..

• Confused 2

I also have serious fps problems with "Contact". With the normal game I go to 60, but with the contact campaign they rarely go up to 20, it is so annoying that I have returned it. I hope Bohemia fix this because the expansion looks great.

At the moment I only have approximately 23 FPS ingame, which is much worse than at the time of DLC release. 😅

BUG:

I am getting random cars spawning out of thin air when I play my own mission. IT will be normally 20 sec. from each other and always 2 cars. they just drop from the sky... how do I fix it?