mondkalb

Arma 3 Creator DLC: Global Mobilization - Cold War Germany

i bought the dlc if i load it i have the terrains and the soldiers in the editor but the vehicles are missing

I searched the Steam Workshop and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of GM mod collections so I took some time and created one. All of the mods in the collection are directly related to GM in some way. Currently there are 37 entries in the collection but it's almost certain that I have missed some mods. If you know of any that should be included then please contact me here, on Steam or leave a comment on the collection in the workshop. I share the Steam account with my son and he's chosen "Fox Mulder" as the user name. Hopefully someone will find something useful in the collection.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1982869085

• Thanks 2

Kanonenjagdpanzer ? (the raketejagdpanzer is cute too) are a rare in game 's industry........ 

Bundesarchiv_B_145_Bild-F027425-0001,_Ka
1280px-Panzermuseum_Munster_2010_0915.JP

BMP 1 is WAY over armored. Currently it takes hits from 25mm cannon to the side armor, at less than 500m and survives.

18 minutes ago, Storm Rider said:

BMP 1 is WAY over armored. Currently it takes hits from 25mm cannon to the side armor, at less than 500m and survives.

Depends on what kind of Ammunition this "25mm" is. A M792 HEI-T will have a hard time to penetrate 16-16 mm RHA, at an angle anyway.

1 hour ago, Beagle said:

Depends on what kind of Ammunition this "25mm" is. A M792 HEI-T will have a hard time to penetrate 16-16 mm RHA, at an angle anyway.

Cmon, dont assume people are stupid.

1 hour ago, Storm Rider said:

That's a necessary way to override the ArmA engine limitations. There's no proper damage system like Warthunder's one, for example. So you still have to rely on the hitpoints mostly. Kinetic munitions have to hit directly ammo or fuel/oil/hydraulic fluid tank/pipe to produce a damage and set a vehicle ablaze or produce a significant amount of armor splinters inside the vehicle. But all this is impossible in the ArmA engine due to lack of such modules in the vehicle's model.

1 hour ago, spooky lynx said:

That's a necessary way to override the ArmA engine limitations. There's no proper damage system like Warthunder's one, for example. So you still have to rely on the hitpoints mostly. Kinetic munitions have to hit directly ammo or fuel/oil/hydraulic fluid tank/pipe to produce a damage and set a vehicle ablaze or produce a significant amount of armor splinters inside the vehicle. But all this is impossible in the ArmA engine due to lack of such modules in the vehicle's model.

I understand that that is one of the many limitations that even after 20 years of development BIS could not fix. But its at the same time ridiculous. The BMP, being optimistic, is only very lightly armored. There were cases during Desert Storm where BMPs were disabled at distances close 1km by barrett m82 which is a .50 anti materiel rifle.

It should be a lucky shot to disable a BMP. Even manned by such dumb crew like Iraqi one😃

Despite the small values of armor of the BMP it's not so easy to hit and disable it with small-caliber projectiles. The guaranteed hit may be only with the static vehicle stationed at the 90 deg. to the shooter. In other cases ricochetes may occur very often. Also don't forget about rather small zones to hit. That's why the most effective projectile to disable such vehicle (and most popular) is HEAT one, not small-caliber KE. Yes, there were some cases during ODS, but let's be honest: many of such stories happened with the already abandoned vehicles. Hitting a BMP that may easily make a move and shoot back to you together with its fellow infantry with anti-material rifle is... an act of heroism and a very good luck, I'd say. The same goes to small caliber auto-cannon.

Heya, I've done a quick test:
Firing KBA 25mm APDS-T at a sideways parked BMP-1 at 550m.

It took 15 rounds (aimed at the center of the vehicle) to force the crew to eject. Shortly after the BMP-1 exploded from an internal fire in the ammo compartment, wrecking the entire vehicle.
Same result after 11 rounds at 375m. A bit of randomness factors into this, so I'd have to up the sample size by an order of magnitude at least to have some average values to report. But in no cases did the BMP-1 fail to be destroyed after just a few rounds on target.

Can you describe the situation and setup where you encountered a BMP-1 that survives 25mm hits? This would help us taking a closer look at what could possibly be happening.

• Thanks 1

On 3/22/2020 at 6:24 PM, mondkalb said:

Heya, I've done a quick test:
Firing KBA 25mm APDS-T at a sideways parked BMP-1 at 550m.

It took 15 rounds (aimed at the center of the vehicle) to force the crew to eject. Shortly after the BMP-1 exploded from an internal fire in the ammo compartment, wrecking the entire vehicle.
Same result after 11 rounds at 375m. A bit of randomness factors into this, so I'd have to up the sample size by an order of magnitude at least to have some average values to report. But in no cases did the BMP-1 fail to be destroyed after just a few rounds on target.

Can you describe the situation and setup where you encountered a BMP-1 that survives 25mm hits? This would help us taking a closer look at what could possibly be happening.

That's exactly the situation. One ≥20mm hit to the side should be enough to liquidate a bmp1. The BMP1 in particular was developed to be able to withstand 20mm hits to the frontal arc only, providing only small arms protection to the sides and rear. Also, it wasnt provided with any ammo or fuel protection at all meaning that any penetration is a potential catastrophic event for this vehicle. Do a comparison with the other BMPs found in the game (CUP, RHS...) but also, if you can, in other games (WT) and military simulators (Steel Beasts Pro PE*), with less limitations as in the arma series and you'll soon figure out that there's a problem there.

In Steel Beasts, with the Marder 1A3 (20mm cannon) it only take 1, sometimes a couple of hits from <1000m to destroy a BMP. With a Boxer armed with a .50 cal RWS, with a few bursts its possible to destroy it from 500m and disable it from up to 1000m. With the CV9030 (30mm cannon) its possible with a few shots to destroy the bmp from the front at 500m and disable it at up to 1000m. It only takes only one shot to the center of mass at the side to destroy the bmp from any range up to 1500m. So yeah, its way over armored. You said 11 hits at 375m... 😫

https://imgur.com/a/uqvKJT7

*Steel Beasts, for those who dont know, is a professional military training simulator, offered in two distinct versions:

SB Professional: Training of soldiers in a (networked) simulation lab under the direction of an operator/controller.

SB Pro PE: Training of soldiers on their personal PCs using exercises that do not require an operator/controller.

@Storm Rider Thank you for your report, there is indeed something a bit fishy with the BMP1, a fix has been implemented and will be shiped with the next GM update

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Overpenetration doing litte damage to interiors to light armourred vehicles is indeed a thing with AP and single charge RPG, etc. rounds. It happens. I've seen a perforated Fennek Recon vehicle myself in my woking days at KMW. It drove away on its own and no one was injured inside, (with a good portion of luck)

For me Gepard is very hard to kill, i shot all Heat rounds from T-55 and he is not burn.

2 hours ago, Beagle said:

Overpenetration doing litte damage to interiors to light armourred vehicles is indeed a thing with AP and single charge RPG, etc. rounds. It happens. I've seen a perforated Fennek Recon vehicle myself in my woking days at KMW. It drove away on its own and no one was injured inside, (with a good portion of luck)

I second this. The same goes to such vehicle as PT-76. Although it has a thin armor, the large inner space decreases effect both from HEAT charges and AP projectiles. Yes you can easily penetrate such vehicle but you have to hit it only to few zones directly. Otherwise it would have only a hole in the armor and ammo storage or fuel tanks left intact. Also from what I've read from articles about tank warfare in Chechnya the old T-62 appeared to have more chance to survive because of larger interior and less chance for HEAT projectile to damage anything inside the vehicle.

On 1/30/2020 at 4:39 PM, scimitar said:

I searched the Steam Workshop and there doesn't seem to be much in the way of GM mod collections so I took some time and created one. All of the mods in the collection are directly related to GM in some way. Currently there are 37 entries in the collection but it's almost certain that I have missed some mods. If you know of any that should be included then please contact me here, on Steam or leave a comment on the collection in the workshop. I share the Steam account with my son and he's chosen "Fox Mulder" as the user name. Hopefully someone will find something useful in the collection.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1982869085

Hello Scimitar - if you are looking for exhaustiveness, kindly note I have released a GM related mod this week. Feel free to add if you think it does fit your collection!

Note this is standalone (besides GM) - no need for RHS or CUP etc...

Cheers!

GFT

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/25/2020 at 11:54 AM, guyfawkestom said:

Hello Scimitar - if you are looking for exhaustiveness, kindly note I have released a GM related mod this week. Feel free to add if you think it does fit your collection!

Note this is standalone (besides GM) - no need for RHS or CUP etc...

Cheers!

GFT

Thanks for the notification! Your mod certainly fits the criteria for the collection and has now been added. For those that might be interested, I update the collection regularly and it is now up to 59 entries. Keep up the awesome work GM modders. It is certainly appreciated.

• Like 1

Great suggestions!

Originally they are not planned, but I don't think adding this will be a big task, so I see a possibility here. I like the idea, but no promises though!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mondkalb said:

Great suggestions!

Originally they are not planned, but I don't think adding this will be a big task, so I see a possibility here. I like the idea, but no promises though!

Gloves should be mandatory anyway for Bundewehr field gear. At least In my time in the early 90's the summer gloves were mandatory in the field for MG3 gunners and generally recommended. Also the Webbing gear is too light in color, it should match the Uniform or be even darker. The modern Summer Zipper undershirst did not exist in the 80's, instead only a t-shirt or a regular collar Shirt was worn under the field jacket.

12039389_834569859974816_127102187644137

Hi,
Since it seems you are working on transport-aircraft as well. Where to take-off from, and land those on?
The Autobahn lies entirely in the Western sector, so that normally is a no-go area to take-off or land an Eastern-bloc plane from or onto.
Besides that, it also is covered by wing-ripping trees on both sides of the Autobahn's pavement. So that's going to be a tough job..

That only leaves some more rural roads to land/take-off from or on.. But those are often accompanied by powerlines to their side.
Ofcourse, one can think of a make-shift empty field of grass to become some sort of airfield.. But I do not know how much ground
is needed for a completely filled plane to properly take-off from, being fully loaded? Besides them fields are often not flat enough.

I do not know how much you guys wish to keep the Weferlingen map to an historical piece of digital museum art,
but I was also wondering on where the West Germans for one were stationed at, because there is only one single sizable barracks-building
for structure at Mariental-Horst.. Did they house most of the stationed troops in the area in tents or so? Or were there more permanent structures?

Any accurate info on that, regarding the map's portrayed Western area? Just wondering, and asking about out of curiosity. But thanks for the answer.

51 minutes ago, Rovka said:

Hi,
Since it seems you are working on transport-aircraft as well. Where to take-off from, and land those on?
The Autobahn lies entirely in the Western sector, so that normally is a no-go area to take-off or land an Eastern-bloc plane from or onto.
Besides that, it also is covered by wing-ripping trees on both sides of the Autobahn's pavement. So that's going to be a tough job..

That only leaves some more rural roads to land/take-off from or on.. But those are often accompanied by powerlines to their side.
Ofcourse, one can think of a make-shift empty field of grass to become some sort of airfield.. But I do not know how much ground
is needed for a completely filled plane to properly take-off from, being fully loaded? Besides them fields are often not flat enough.

I do not know how much you guys wish to keep the Weferlingen map to an historical piece of digital museum art,
but I was also wondering on where the West Germans for one were stationed at, because there is only one single sizable barracks-building
for structure at Mariental-Horst.. Did they house most of the stationed troops in the area in tents or so? Or were there more permanent structures?

Any accurate info on that, regarding the map's portrayed Western area? Just wondering, and asking about out of curiosity. But thanks for the answer.

All those Aircraft are STOL Capable, you cn rty that out right now with the Caesar Airplane...there are plenty of places to take off and land right now in est and west...basically any flat field. Both have wingspans below 15m. This off-strip operations did work very well with the AN-2 in ArmA II. You could perform almost helicopter like insertions. So there is no reason why it should not work right now in ArmA III.

55 minutes ago, Rovka said:

@Mondkalb Could you bulldoze two flat strips 'off map' in the hinterlands of east and west for suitable long runways? they need not be decorated or textured just a suitable flat 2km for anything to use?

Also thanks for continuing development - the air assets look great!