CUP

Community Upgrade Project - CUP Terrains

even if they are "customized", rather play on "vanilla" maps than not playing at all :D

Hey don't get me wrong I'm really not complaining about the size or anything of CUP. I realise I chose to go with a cheap option for my first server (it's only for me and a few mates so $11/month for an 8 slot server here in NZ seemed fine to me)

If anything I'm thankful for the solid state of the maps, we had a great time delivering freedom to Takistan and are now working in the "All our bar gates are 90 degrees offset" land of Sahrani and having a blast. The bar gate thing isn't even an issue, it's more a running joke with us.

If anything my annoyance is that I can't stop steam automagically updating workshop addons, so if CUP updates we basically have to postpone our gaming session that night while I upload the update to the server. The 2 edged sword when it comes to steam workshop. But it's my choice to do it that way so I cannot complain one bit.

You guy do any amazing job though with CUP and the community can't thank you enough for all the work you put in. Please keep it up.

Where would one start to fix this error?

Probably nothing but wait until IFA3 adds CUP compatibility, I believe it's on kju's 'TODO' list.

• Like 1

Probably nothing but wait until IFA3 adds CUP compatibility, I believe it's on kju's 'TODO' list.

Oh! That sounds neat. Thanks for the tip; I must have overlooked it.

Hey don't get me wrong I'm really not complaining about the size or anything of CUP. I realise I chose to go with a cheap option for my first server (it's only for me and a few mates so $11/month for an 8 slot server here in NZ seemed fine to me)

If anything I'm thankful for the solid state of the maps, we had a great time delivering freedom to Takistan and are now working in the "All our bar gates are 90 degrees offset" land of Sahrani and having a blast. The bar gate thing isn't even an issue, it's more a running joke with us.

If anything my annoyance is that I can't stop steam automagically updating workshop addons, so if CUP updates we basically have to postpone our gaming session that night while I upload the update to the server. The 2 edged sword when it comes to steam workshop. But it's my choice to do it that way so I cannot complain one bit.

You guy do any amazing job though with CUP and the community can't thank you enough for all the work you put in. Please keep it up.

Worst case scenario you can just download CUP off of armaholic and run it like you would with Steam workshop in the Arma 3 launcher, that way it won't auto-update and you won't need to continuously upload updates.

If you'd like for the next release I can put together a "server" package that would be right around 2 GB, instead of the normal 9.4 GB. We discussed this internally the other day, and I think the general consensus was positive. It should function exactly the same with no issues, the difference is that all of the textures are replaced with a 1 KB blank image. I'm not sure if putting it on the workshop would be the best idea though, as people might not read that it's a version with no textures and intended for server use. Even if we don't do it as an official release, I don't mind putting the PBO together and uploading it to Google Drive, or other file sharing websites. I've automated the process of building the "server" version so the only effort required is waiting for the PBO to pack and upload.

As a small update to what's going on, I'm slowly but surely working through the Eden Editor entries, and metalcraze (also known as kraze) has joined the team to work on the lighting for the visual upgrade (1.60). The visual upgrade is currently available on the Release Candidate and Development Branch for testing/play. The CUP terrains do look awesome with the new lighting, but kraze has been hard at work fine tuning the configs to suit them better, you can find the addon he created with the improved configs here. He has done some more work since his last update on that page, but I'll have to check with him to see if there will be another update for his addon before it's implemented and released in CUP.

• Like 4

Any chances Chernarus Winter be included in the pack in the next update? :D  :D  :D  :P

Any chances Chernarus Winter be included in the pack in the next update? :D :D :D :P

From my experience asking the CUP team about short or long term goals is not welcome here, let alone asking for something specifically to be in the next release which is generally not (and understandably not) welcome anywhere. I get it. The threads kind of turn into a mess that way.

If you'd like for the next release I can put together a "server" package that would be right around 2 GB, instead of the normal 9.4 GB. We discussed this internally the other day, and I think the general consensus was positive. It should function exactly the same with no issues, the difference is that all of the textures are replaced with a 1 KB blank image. I'm not sure if putting it on the workshop would be the best idea though, as people might not read that it's a version with no textures and intended for server use. Even if we don't do it as an official release, I don't mind putting the PBO together and uploading it to Google Drive, or other file sharing websites. I've automated the process of building the "server" version so the only effort required is waiting for the PBO to pack and upload.

Dude that would be awesome, but only if it doesn't get in the way of further development (ie fixing the bar gates). 

Any chances Chernarus Winter be included in the pack in the next update? :D  :D  :D  :P

Not my call, but I don't think so. We have plenty of work and content as is.

From my experience asking the CUP team about short or long term goals is not welcome here, let alone asking for something specifically to be in the next release which is generally not (and understandably not) welcome anywhere. I get it. The threads kind of turn into a mess that way.

I'm open to discussing goals, but can't speak for everyone and I don't want to promise things that I can't immediately or definitely deliver on. It looks far worse to say something will be done and then it never is, in comparison to saying it might get done, and then when it is complete it's a pleasant and welcomed surprise. In my opinion it's better to go with the "Underpromise, overdeliver" (Pettka quote?) approach.

Dude that would be awesome, but only if it doesn't get in the way of further development (ie fixing the bar gates). 

How could it get in the way of work that's already done? (NeoArmageddon's doing)

• Like 2

Here's the thing: The same questions get asked over and over. Everybody has their own preference what should be next. If everybody was asking for "will we see X soon", we will have nothing but "will we have X soon" or "will you guys port Y" in the thread. The general rule of thumb is, do not expect anything. I tried to explain that in ArmaNet's podcast - since this is a volunteer project with people doing this in their spare time, the only way that it can go forward is if decisions what are to be done next are done by the guy that actually performs the work. For example, after I did the middle eastern insurgents and guerillas, I had enough of Khet's for a while, so I didn't continue with the Taki civilians. I am still not feeling like Taki civilians, but I might be tomorrow.

If you take issue with that, I invite you to join the project and help out with it. The usual answer to that is "I'm not a modder", but guess what, I wasn't born one either. You live, you learn. If however you think that isn't for you, fine. That means that things will continue at our pace and at our order,

So, yes, bottom line is we do not like people asking to put a date or priority or anything like that on releases and work being done. If that is an issue for you, well I am sorry, but it's not going to change. This project is huge. Some things, especially polish, are tedious at best and drive you up the walls at worst. Which is why I have an allergic reaction to questions about when. And let's face it, "short or long term goal" or "current priorities" is just a rewording of "when".

I don't like the underlying reproach in your statement. Everyone involved in this project, myself included, had a point or three during its duration were they were totally burnt out with it. I have myself right now withdrawn to doing the US Army stuff for the simple reason that I couldn't stand any more porting. It will pass, and eventually I will go back to it. Maybe I'll continue work on the Challenger at one point. Maybe I'll throw the towel.

So please, have a bit of consideration for the people working on this. Don't play the insulted when your question is not well received. CUP is a service to the community, don't treat it like a paid DLC. No modding project I know of likes these kind of questions. And please, don't be insulted if someone gives you a snappy comment on it. It's just that after you heard the same question a million times, it gets to you.

• Like 4

I wrote a c++-program that automatically fixes bargates a few month ago  ;)

Hehe finally someone that doesn't treat C++ like a dirty word :)

I'm really sorry if my question came across as an arrogant imposition at a precise scheduled time, without any consideration for the modders team and their work..

because it wasn't intended to. 

I only asked because few posts ago the possibilities was vented / mentioned.

I have the most respect for anyone willing to put their free time to develop FREE extra content for everyone else enjoyment, and I will NEVER ask for deadlines or additional content other than the one discussed by the modders themselves.

Never the less I'm offended in case of negative answer, or lack of requested content.

So, chill out dudes, it was an innocent question, asked just because an update was mentioned. I'm already super thankful to whatever content you guys port/add AND I DO NOT EXPECT ANYTHING OTHER THAN WHATEVER YOU GUYS DECIDE TO WORK ON.

After saying that, keep up the excellent work, and thank you again for the commitment to this great project.

Here's the thing: The same questions get asked over and over. Everybody has their own preference what should be next. If everybody was asking for "will we see X soon", we will have nothing but "will we have X soon" or "will you guys port Y" in the thread. The general rule of thumb is, do not expect anything. I tried to explain that in ArmaNet's podcast - since this is a volunteer project with people doing this in their spare time, the only way that it can go forward is if decisions what are to be done next are done by the guy that actually performs the work. For example, after I did the middle eastern insurgents and guerillas, I had enough of Khet's for a while, so I didn't continue with the Taki civilians. I am still not feeling like Taki civilians, but I might be tomorrow.

If you take issue with that, I invite you to join the project and help out with it. The usual answer to that is "I'm not a modder", but guess what, I wasn't born one either. You live, you learn. If however you think that isn't for you, fine. That means that things will continue at our pace and at our order,

So, yes, bottom line is we do not like people asking to put a date or priority or anything like that on releases and work being done. If that is an issue for you, well I am sorry, but it's not going to change. This project is huge. Some things, especially polish, are tedious at best and drive you up the walls at worst. Which is why I have an allergic reaction to questions about when. And let's face it, "short or long term goal" or "current priorities" is just a rewording of "when".

I don't like the underlying reproach in your statement. Everyone involved in this project, myself included, had a point or three during its duration were they were totally burnt out with it. I have myself right now withdrawn to doing the US Army stuff for the simple reason that I couldn't stand any more porting. It will pass, and eventually I will go back to it. Maybe I'll continue work on the Challenger at one point. Maybe I'll throw the towel.

So please, have a bit of consideration for the people working on this. Don't play the insulted when your question is not well received. CUP is a service to the community, don't treat it like a paid DLC. No modding project I know of likes these kind of questions. And please, don't be insulted if someone gives you a snappy comment on it. It's just that after you heard the same question a million times, it gets to you.

I'm really sorry if my question came across as an arrogant imposition at a precise scheduled time, without any consideration for the modders team and their work..

because it wasn't intended to. 

I only asked because few posts ago the possibilities was vented / mentioned.

I have the most respect for anyone willing to put their free time to develop FREE extra content for everyone else enjoyment, and I will NEVER ask for deadlines or additional content other than the one discussed by the modders themselves.

Never the less I'm offended in case of negative answer, or lack of requested content.

So, chill out dudes, it was an innocent question, asked just because an update was mentioned. I'm already super thankful to whatever content you guys port/add AND I DO NOT EXPECT ANYTHING OTHER THAN WHATEVER YOU GUYS DECIDE TO WORK ON.

After saying that, keep up the excellent work, and thank you again for the commitment to this great project.

WOW.... im pretty sure ... a simple "NO" would have sufficed..... just WOW at all the reterick...

You state that asking questions like this will make the forum thread get messy ... but what happens.... it got messy anyways.... 

Why couldnt you all just said "No. its Not going to be included.."

. One post, One line.... and you have answered his question directly.... Instead you make the person feel like an asshole... why....

• Like 3

Why couldnt you all just said "No. its Not going to be included.."

Somebody already posted that, and I wasn't even replying to you.

But you apparently didn't read my post. This is not about you. It is not about anyone in particular. You only see your own question. We see a thousand of them, all of them similar. We answer the same questions over and over. It was my (probably vain) hope that I could make this clear to people - we're not only answering YOUR question. We are answering a million of them, here, on the Discord chat, on Facebook.

Anyway, I probably wasting everybody's time, so I am stopping here. And please, nobody tell me to chill. I am not raging or anything. In fact, I tried to calmly explain the situation.

• Like 1

. One post, One line.... and you have answered his question directly.... Instead you make the person feel like an asshole... why....

I'm still searching for the place where anyone made anyone feel like an asshole ? Especially since the answer to the original question (Winter chernarus) was a "no" and Alwarren simply made a statement about why questions are sometimes unanswered or "frowned" upon.

What you wrote, on the other hand, sounds like you are trying to make someone look like an asshole, which is rather sad.

Keep in mind, please, that were not getting those questions here, but also on Facebook, discord, and even on Steam, in private mail and PMs on the forum.

I really appreciate the time you took to write the response. It makes a lot of sense the way you phrased it and thanks for giving a little insight on what it's like to work on a mod of this caliber.
  • Like 1

Does anybody know how I can make the hanger doors closed on mission start?

Arma 3 has a vanilla script in the files to do this.

execVM "\A3\Structures_F\scripts\Door_close.sqf";

Maybe getting the nearest building, and then firing this script on it?  I've actually never used this script, so I don't have any clue if you have to define the door classnames and run the script, or if you can just fire it on an entire structure to close all doors. 

• Like 1

In fresh RC i got error after error messages:

} count (_pos nearObjects ["Land_PowLines_WoodL",400])>
19:33:04   Error position: <nearObjects ["Land_PowLines_WoodL",400])>
19:33:04   Error Typ To nie liczba, potrzebny Liczbowe
19:33:04 File ca\structures_c\Misc_Powerlines\emmisiveLights.sqf, line 54
19:33:04 Error in expression <sitionCameraToWorld [0,0,0];

if ((_pos distance _prevPos > 100) || !(CUP_lampSt>
19:33:04   Error position: <distance _prevPos > 100) || !(CUP_lampSt>
19:33:04 File ca\structures_c\Misc_Powerlines\emmisiveLights.sqf, line 45
19:33:05 Error in expression <ToWorld [0,0,0];
DynaSound_DS_sys_air = nearestObjects [_pos, ["Air"], 250];
{

Over and over.

Hi CUP_Terrain guys, with ArmA 1.6 there will be new visuals. Will you edit the maps for it? Biggest problem I have with maps like Chernarus: With more clouds (~ >0.7) scenery is pretty dark, other than on Altis. Chernarus is not fun to play with clouds for me...

Also I have seen many shadow casting if sun is not visible at all. Not sure if it is a map thing.

Dynasound is not our stuff.

There is problem with the lamps, off course DynaSound too, but from CUP, there are problems with the lamps

if ((_pos distance _prevPos > 100) || !(CUP_lampSt>

19:33:04   Error position: <distance _prevPos > 100) || !(CUP_lampSt>

19:33:04 File ca\structures_c\Misc_Powerlines\emmisiveLights.sqf, line 45

19:33:05 Error in expression <ToWorld [0,0,0];

} count (_pos nearObjects ["Land_PowLines_WoodL",400])>

19:33:04   Error position: <nearObjects ["Land_PowLines_WoodL",400])>

19:33:04 File ca\structures_c\Misc_Powerlines\emmisiveLights.sqf, line 54

19:33:04 Error in expression <sitionCameraToWorld [0,0,0];

Sorry for pasting DS line :)