Even though the mod is canceled, I'm happy that we may be able to enjoy at least a few of the Westwall assets in GREF. Thanks RHS and WW team.

• Like 4

There was an article recently about weapon stashes that were confiscated from ISIS in Mosul and one of them was a Mauser manufactured 1941
f9a25cdf95.jpg
Would like to say it is amazing how ww2 weapons and maybe earlier ones are still in use today by modern militias. so yeah all hail GREF.

• Like 5

And that's just authentic WWII weapons. There's an entire cottage industry in Afghan based on making counterfeits of old blackpowder weapons like the Martini-Henry. The general rule is, if a weapon was brought to Afghan at some point, there will be insurgents toting it around, no matter how old and decrepit it is. :) 

• Like 4

"Horizon Islands defence force"  is a fantastic IDEA! and Fantastic work guys! 

only one critic the  camo and  generally all stuff seems too dark 

edit: need a HIDF green beret :don11:

• Confused 2

19 hours ago, zukov said:

only one critic the  camo and  generally all stuff seems too dark 

edit: need a HIDF green beret :don11:

it fits in pretty well with the dark jungles of tanoa if you ask me.

• Like 5

Not sure why I didn't notice this earlier, but as of the 0.4.4 update, all AR-15 variants have the same soundsets, regardless of barrel length. Is this intentional? I definitely enjoyed the different sounds between carbine- and rifle-length barrels.

3 hours ago, Georg_Ravioli said:

Not sure why I didn't notice this earlier, but as of the 0.4.4 update, all AR-15 variants have the same soundsets, regardless of barrel length. Is this intentional? I definitely enjoyed the different sounds between carbine- and rifle-length barrels.

I am pretty sure all the AR-15 rifles had the same sound prior to 0.4.4

6 hours ago, pipewr3nch said:

I am pretty sure all the AR-15 rifles had the same sound prior to 0.4.4

At one point they didn't, might have been 0.4.3 or even 0.4.2.2, but M4s and M16s definitely used to have different sounds. M4s sounded a bit more concussive or something.

17 hours ago, Georg_Ravioli said:

This is something we are actively adjusting and working on. Whilst it’s nice to have discernible sounds for m4/m16s we’re trying our best to bring sounds to a more realistic level (The best we can do as a modding team). It’s true there is a sound difference between barrel lengths; 20” m16, 14.5” M4, 10” MK1 and so. A study showcased that there’s roughly a 0.5dB(A) increase per 4” shortage [1]. This difference may be noticeable for the rifleman but for those 20m and beyond it quickly becomes nearly inaudible. The intensity of decibel change is equally effected by the ammunition you are firing. This study was using M855, which out of an M4 barrel was unable to effectively burn all its powder resulting in a brighter flash and a louder bang. Our standard ammo in USAF is M855A1 for U.S Army and M855 for U.S Marines (Until they finally fully adopt M855A1 sometime in the next year?[2]).  From what I’ve been told by people who’ve used it, the M4 full auto and the M249 firing M855A1 are extremely difficult to discern during a firefight which to me makes the most sense. The operator will notice more differences in sound, like how the weapon is operated (open bolt/closed), barrel length, sounds resonating on different parts of the weapon etc. However, as you get further away they start to blend together and produce the same 'pop'. These are things we’re trying our best to replicate but this requires lots of tweaking and feedback from you guys.

Keep an eye out for future updates on the sounds of our 5.56 weapons.

[1] https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/ndia/2010/armament/WednesdayCumberlandPhilipDater.pdf

[2] https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2017/12/11/new-in-2018-corps-adopts-m855a1-round/

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, j0zh94 said:

This is something we are actively adjusting and working on. Whilst it’s nice to have discernible sounds for m4/m16s we’re trying our best to bring sounds to a more realistic level (The best we can do as a modding team). It’s true there is a sound difference between barrel lengths; 20” m16, 14.5” M4, 10” MK1 and so. A study showcased that there’s roughly a 0.5dB(A) increase per 4” shortage [1]. This difference may be noticeable for the rifleman but for those 20m and beyond it quickly becomes nearly inaudible. The intensity of decibel change is equally effected by the ammunition you are firing. This study was using M855, which out of an M4 barrel was unable to effectively burn all its powder resulting in a brighter flash and a louder bang. Our standard ammo in USAF is M855A1 for U.S Army and M855 for U.S Marines (Until they finally fully adopt M855A1 sometime in the next year?[2]).  From what I’ve been told by people who’ve used it, the M4 full auto and the M249 firing M855A1 are extremely difficult to discern during a firefight which to me makes the most sense. The operator will notice more differences in sound, like how the weapon is operated (open bolt/closed), barrel length, sounds resonating on different parts of the weapon etc. However, as you get further away they start to blend together and produce the same 'pop'. These are things we’re trying our best to replicate but this requires lots of tweaking and feedback from you guys.

Keep an eye out for future updates on the sounds of our 5.56 weapons.

[1] https://ndiastorage.blob.core.usgovcloudapi.net/ndia/2010/armament/WednesdayCumberlandPhilipDater.pdf

[2] https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/news/your-marine-corps/2017/12/11/new-in-2018-corps-adopts-m855a1-round/

THIS.  I was waiting for yall to talk about this.  I kinda figured itd be coming down the pipeline eventually and just twiddle my thumbs patiently.  So now that I know its incoming someday maybe, I am excite

Is there any way of using the Mig-29S N019 Radar screen yet? And if so what are the keybindings for it? I couldn't find anything about about it on the forums nor the RHS wiki (there was no mig-29s page there at all for that matter) 

1 hour ago, Sgt.Makarov said:

Is there any way of using the Mig-29S N019 Radar screen yet?

Early MiG-29 variants like 9-12 and 9-13 (MiG-29S) had no radar display. All radar returns are displayed in the HUD and the monitor on the left of the cockpit is only a repeater for the HUD. And above that is just a commercial GPS/GLONASS module; so the MiG-29S is only configured to show map info outside the HUD. Controls to turn on the radar are the same as other radar-equipped vehicles in Arma 3

AEMgTUB.png

Proper MFD for displaying radar, navigation and other information was not in place until the MiG-29SM variant which isn't common in Russian service (prototypes only AFAIK), but many foreign customers have 9-12 or 9-13 airframes upgraded to this standard. Russian Air Force went from MiG-29S to the even more advanced MiG-29SMT.

The next version of AFRF will however have additional MiG-29SM classes with cockpit upgrades, that can use the typical Arma 3 radar display. The cockpit model was primarily produced for SAF, as all of Serbia's MiG-29s have MFDs and such upgraded avionics. So SAF's L-18 has switched to this upgraded version completely.

GREF will only have the existing MiG-29S.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, da12thMonkey said:

Proper MFD for displaying radar, navigation and other information was not in place until the MiG-29SM variant which isn't common in Russian service (prototypes only AFAIK), but many foreign customers have 9-12 or 9-13 airframes upgraded to this standard. Russian Air Force went from MiG-29S to the even more advanced MiG-29SMT.

The next version of AFRF will however have additional MiG-29SM classes with cockpit upgrades, that can use the typical Arma 3 radar display. The cockpit model was primarily produced for SAF, as all of Serbia's MiG-29s have MFDs and such upgraded avionics. So SAF's L-18 has switched to this upgraded version completely.

GREF will only have the existing MiG-29S.

Thank you for clarifying - I thought that the repeater for the HUD was something like the mig-29s's version of the A-10A RWR based on these pictures: 

https://imgur.com/a/zx7gZ - A-10A's RWR

https://imgur.com/a/0GA8H - Mig-29's radar

Does the SU-25 not have the ability to pick up being locked by Iglas and Stinger MANPADS? I notice it only picks up Radar based contacts but not IR I believe.

2 hours ago, mannulus said:

Does the SU-25 not have the ability to pick up being locked by Iglas and Stinger MANPADS? I notice it only picks up Radar based contacts but not IR I believe.

None of the aicraft in RHS should be able to detect lock from IR sensors.

It's not possible to do in real life since IR-seeking missiles don't emit radiation until they are fired (visible, IR and UV emission from the rocket motor).

Detection of such MANPADS is done by MAWS (Missile Approach Warning System), but not every aircraft has MAWS.

AFAIK only Su-25T had it with the "Suhogruz" system, and the latest Su-25SM3 upgrades that have "Vitebsk". Our Su-25 still has the cockpit and avionics of the older Su-25. Some helicopters in RHS do have Vitebsk however, and the PAK-FA has a MAWS as well.

MAWS only made it to A-10A in RHS because There was some debate over whether to add MAWS to the RHS A-10A, as the National Guard ran their own initiative to modify some A-10As to carry AN/AAR-47 in the last few years before the USAF was upgrading to A-10C. After which AN/AAR-47 was rolled in to the whole A-10C program. Most US helicopters have MAWS. Ed:- However we decided to make it so the A-10A could only detect radar-guided missiles, as it keeps better balance with the current Su-25, and reflects the plane's defensive capabilities for the most part of its career.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, da12thMonkey said:

None of the aicraft in RHS should be able to detect lock from IR sensors.

It's not possible to do in real life since IR-seeking missiles don't emit radiation until they are fired (visible, IR and UV emission from the rocket motor).

Detection of such MANPADS is done by MAWS (Missile Approach Warning System), but not every aircraft has MAWS.

AFAIK only Su-25T had it with the "Suhogruz" system, and the latest Su-25SM3 upgrades that have "Vitebsk". Our Su-25 still has the cockpit and avionics of the older Su-25. Some helicopters in RHS do have Vitebsk however.

MAWS only made it to A-10A in RHS because the National Guard ran their own initiative to modify some A-10As to carry AN/AAR-47 in the last few years before the USAF was upgrading to A-10C. After which AN/AAR-47 was rolled in to the whole A-10C program. Most US helicopters have MAWS.

So for those ingame flying the SU-25 they are pretty much SOL if they get shot at by a MANPAD since they can't detect it being locked on or fired?

5 minutes ago, mannulus said:

So for those ingame flying the SU-25 they are pretty much SOL if they get shot at by a MANPAD since they can't detect it being locked on or fired?

Stinger and Strela in RHS don't have a particularly wide sensor field of view, so should be possible to outrun/outmanoeuvre MANPADS if you're not flying straight and slow. And they can't really detect much at all if the aircraft has terrain behind it. So flying low gives a distinct advantage.

One should be dropping flares when popping up during attack runs anyway, regardless of if a lock is detected. Our aircraft have various timed flare release modes (cyclable with the "next countermeasures" key) for that purpose.

• Like 5

What da12thMonkey and reyhard are saying about the weapons and countermeasures are true :) It's incredibly cool that they have pulled off such features in RHS :)

I believe Vanilla jets give a warning tone for incoming IR missiles, which I was originally against. While it is unrealistic (in the way it is portrayed in-game, not the detection of IR launch itself), it offers much better balance as it gives players a chance to dodge missiles.

In real life, even with MAWS, you generally configure your countermeasures system to systematically dispense countermeasures when weapons are released (ground attack) with timed intervals. You can often customize the amount of flares, the delay between each flare, and the amount of volleys to fire (same for chaff).

Most EWMS (Electronic Warfare Management System) can even detect what threat has locked (radar) onto you and dispense optimal countermeasures for that given threat.

Now all I wish for is some kind of Semi-Active guidance and Passive Radar Homing (Anti-Radiation). @the_one_and_only_Venator has pulled off Anti Radiations with his mod :) The defending vehicle will have to switch off radar and relocate to avoid being killed.

Anyways, RHS team have shown exceptional talent in modding, and quite often surpassed the official content with regards to both features and realism IMHO. I'm glad to see RHS members working with BIS on Tanks DLC. They have a lot to bring to the table :)

• Like 5

Was the handling of the Su-25 changed? It definitely feels more agile than I remember.

Some status report with some WIP material.

Mi-24 Moving Map

5GpsNc3.jpg

MiG-29S with working GPS unit

New PhysX  & sounds (using soundSet tech) -  kudos to daskal from Steel Beast community for providing us with his sounds!

Also together with da12thMonkey we've been slowly updating our RHS wiki - you can already check MiG-29 article (WIP) & USAF Airweapons page to perhaps learn something new ;)

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1